• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this game has actually aged well? I'm kind of surprised. Am I reading the general consensus correctly?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I would buy an HD remaster of Shadow Man for Switch in a heartbeat. Are there any chances for that? Acclaim made some really good games back in the days. I'm a bit sad that Acclaim is no more.
NightDive published the un-remastered version on Steam while the IP (comics) holder published it on GoG several years ago (pre Turok etc remasters). So they have some involvement but it doesn't seem like a thing that they're bound to revisit atm?

So this game has actually aged well? I'm kind of surprised. Am I reading the general consensus correctly?
Yes. It's a classic 90s shooter, they are back in fashion.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I took these parked in my car waiting for my girlfriend to come back from the store.

D2pj_FGVAAA2zz_

D2rmQPUU8AAHs6W

Had my left arm resting on the side of the window.

If I told 11 year old me in 20 years I'd be playing Turok on the dashboard of my car with my arm resting out the window I wouldn't have believed it!

How far we've come.

It's magical playing a classic game, one of my favorite games of all time, wherever the hell I want.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I've finished this game for the first time now. I think I played too....carefully? I thought the game would get really hard near the end. I barely used the strongest weapons because I thought I'd need them later, whenever I died I loaded my latest save file instead of startig again from the last checkpoint because I thought lives are precious and I'd need them when it gets really hard.

Well, I ended up finishing this game with 9 lives (the maximum, I didn't know that you can't have more) and beating the T-Rex and the final boss not dying once.

But that doesn't matter at all. This game was fun and I'm glad I finally played it to the end after 22 years.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I've finished this game for the first time now. I think I played too....carefully? I thought the game would get really hard near the end. I barely used the strongest weapons because I thought I'd need them later, whenever I died I loaded my latest save file instead of startig again from the last checkpoint because I thought lives are precious and I'd need them when it gets really hard.

Well, I ended up finishing this game with 9 lives (the maximum, I didn't know that you can't have more) and beating the T-Rex and the final boss not dying once.

But that doesn't matter at all. This game was fun and I'm glad I finally played it to the end after 22 years.
Yeah, it's actually a pretty easy game once you've got modern controls in your arsenal.

But you're not alone... I watched a let's play where the player was excessively conservative with his ammo usage. I was like dude, you're never coming back to this area to pick up that pistol mag... you don't need to save it for later by using your knife instead, lol.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Yeah, it's actually a pretty easy game once you've got modern controls in your arsenal.

But you're not alone... I watched a let's play where the player was excessively conservative with his ammo usage. I was like dude, you're never coming back to this area to pick up that pistol mag... you don't need to save it for later by using your knife instead, lol.

Yeah, but how are you supposed to know that you can use up all your ammo and die a few times if you're playing for the first time? There are games that fuck you up for being to careless. I remember a friend of mine who had to restart Resident Evil: Code Veronica from the beginning. He was already many hours into the game but couldn't progress anymore because he didn't have enough ammo.

I'll also buy Turok 2 as soon as it's out for Switch. Is it harder than Turok 1?

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I'll also buy Turok 2 as soon as it's out for Switch. Is it harder than Turok 1?
It's kind of hard to say, to be honest. I found Turok 2 brutally hard when it came out, but a lot of that had to do with the ridiculous traversal required between save points. I recall shedding quite a few tears over losing close to 2 hours of progress in the Lair of the Blind Ones thanks to being killed just minutes away from the next save point.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yeah, but how are you supposed to know that you can use up all your ammo and die a few times if you're playing for the first time? There are games that fuck you up for being to careless. I remember a friend of mine who had to restart Resident Evil: Code Veronica from the beginning. He was already many hours into the game but couldn't progress anymore because he didn't have enough ammo.

Resident Evil 2 is a slow-paced horror game with limited inventory space and labeled "survival horror" and Turok is a fast-paced FPS. That's how you're supposed to know :)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Damn this game can be hard on *hard*.

The enemies take so many shots and they eat up your health insanely fast too.

Level 3 the difficulty ramps up quite a bit.

This was so much easier on PC lol.

Ps. Kind of a shame this is based on the PC version. I notice different effects and level design here and there.

Oct 29, 2017
Tempted to pick this up. I already bought the remaster of 1 and 2 on Steam, but it would be cool to have it for the Switch. Huge Turok fan back in the day, probably will wait for a sale though.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so damn playable. The level design is open, free and even with the aged whatever it just feels good. I really love the levels in this game and even the platforming is kind of way good. Secrets, alternate paths, fun fucking game.

It's got no pretense and I love it.

I really want Turok 2 on Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
the first patch came out a few days ago, addressing the gyro control thing brought up here (no idea what else):
Well that's what I'm saying... to me, the Pro controller's position is right. The gyro controls in Turok work exactly how I expect them to, both using the Pro Controller and Joycons in portable mode.

Made a diagram to demonstrate what I mean:
nSzcujp.png

This is gonna be the new normal/inverted, except that BotW demonstrates that you can let players do both simultaneously.

edit:
Full patch notes: - Added option to control the orientation of gyro aiming (Yaw, Roll or Both)
- Added option for support for left-handed (southpaw) controls
- Added graphical option for always-on lens flares
- Directionality of the pro controller's gyro aiming was reversed

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018
Could someone with a copy confirm something for me please?

Does it allow users to set the left analogue stick to look and the right analogue stick to move (Southpaw)?

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Could someone with a copy confirm something for me please?

Does it allow users to set the left analogue stick to look and the right analogue stick to move (Southpaw)?
Afraid not.

So did this port turn out good? Native res/60 fps on handheld?
Port is good. Native res, mostly 60 fps though it can sometimes dip a little in more complex areas.

Are the controllers mapped like modern shooter?
Yep.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
That's a bit much to ask for a 22 year old game that was never very good to begin with.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Oof, just downloaded the new update to see the new gyro controls in action... and sadly it actually kinda ruins the gyro controls for those of us who liked how they were originally configured.

The original style is now called "roll" turning style in the settings, but the X-axis has been inverted which makes it extremely wonky and no longer intuitive. I can live with the newly implemented "yaw" turning style, but it's not ideal.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

The first boss is the hardest honestly. I think most of my deaths in the game were from falling

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really disappointed in the Switch version

It does not hold 60fps well att all and constantly dips to 50-55 :(

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Full patch notes: - Added option to control the orientation of gyro aiming (Yaw, Roll or Both)
- Added option for support for left-handed (southpaw) controls
- Added graphical option for always-on lens flares
- Directionality of the pro controller's gyro aiming was reversed
from discord

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
25 bucks. GTFO with that shit. It's a 2 dollar curiosity at best. But to each his own. More power to them if it sells well I guess.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Really disappointed in the Switch version

It does not hold 60fps well att all and constantly dips to 50-55 :(

In Discord, the developers said that the original engine is very CPU heavy and is very inefficient. Getting rid of the original fog and running it at 60 fps requires a really beefy CPU.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I only rented turok in the 64 days so I jumped at this

Honestly the backtracking is what kills it for me. The whole keys mechanic means I'm going back into levels and hunting round them, coming out the other side without the needed keys, and doing it again

Also hate that I have to use my special ammo. Precious tek arrows or exploding rounds on low-key grunts? I'm knifing the whole way - fuck it

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Honestly the backtracking is what kills it for me. The whole keys mechanic means I'm going back into levels and hunting round them, coming out the other side without the needed keys, and doing it again

Somehow you are right, but there is no actual backtracking. You only have to go back into levels if you've overseen keys. But you can see in the pause menu how many keys you've already found and how many are still missing. So you don't have to leave a level without having found all keys. Of course, it can easily happen that you have to go back into a level to find another key, but backtracking isn't a major aspect of the game design like in Matroid Prime since it's avoidable.

Last edited:

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
Yes, you can find most keys on your first attempt if you look carefully enough, the auto-map helps too as it shows where you weren't yet and if you have overlooked hidden ledges below a cliff. I generally tried to complete the map between every checkpoint or small teleporter to find as many keys as possible.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
So when's Turok 2 coming out? Any news on this? I need more Turok. It's been almost a month since I finished Turok 1.

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone comment on what gyro sensitivity they think works best for them? I have been tweaking it for a while and can't really settle on anything. Also, should I use both Yaw and Roll simultaneously if I like BotW controls or is that weird inverted thing talked about above still an issue?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Can anyone comment on what gyro sensitivity they think works best for them? I have been tweaking it for a while and can't really settle on anything. Also, should I use both Yaw and Roll simultaneously if I like BotW controls or is that weird inverted thing talked about above still an issue?

Probably better to move this to this thread. I've been posting stuff about the controls and a Nightdive dev is in there too.

Turok 1 and 2 OT