• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Par for the course for this admin to just do woefully defined shit and just cause mass confusion.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't assume that yet; the tl;dr is that no one, not even respected news orgs like the NYT, know what the hell is going on now.
It seems pretty plaintext. It's basically a pretext for a future action to be taken in 45 days. 45 days in 2020 is a long fucking time. Who knows if the admin will even remember this happened by then?

Nov 5, 2017
It's still 45 days away from taking effect. My guess is, like with everything else this president has done in the last 3.5 years, this is just grand posturing and will be either scaled back or ruled unconstitutional.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How? Tencent has a stake in Activision-Blizzard, not WoW. This would affect their entire company. If they have to shut down the golden goose I doubt they are going to keep all of those employees around to wait for Tencent to be allowed again.
Any developer that has shutdown before it's employees have moved onto another company, this isn't even going to happen though

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, seriously, when has anything that this president has done, actually gone according to his plans? Everything he tries to do gets scaled back or he forgets about it and moves on to the next thing that pops into this mind. He has no plans. He just acts on instincts and whatever is on his mind.

Pazee

Banned
Nov 5, 2019
I am willing to give up Tencent games for the better of western economies tbh.

1450476976969.jpg

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt this affects anything Tencent owns a minority share in. If it does though, I wonder if they would hit Trump back by finding someone who owns shares of his companies and buying them.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, this is gonna be a clusterfuck. Tencent has its tentacles in fucking everything these days.

Unfortunately, while I genuinely believe Tencent's presence in the industry is genuinely a bad thing due to its deep ties with the CCP, we know Trump's motives are entirely petty. This will also effectively provide China an argument that its own (much worse) protectionist practices are justified.

I mean that's going require an actual, consistent effort you're going need to get the rest of the world to sign on and it's gonna be really hard to do that when the pretext for it is very obviously trump throwing a tantrum about it.

Again, this just seems like a really shitty trade you're getting barely nothing in exchange for.
I genuinely think the US, the EU and other nations in the G7/G20 could force the CCP to change China's governmental system into something democratic and with actual rule of law if they banded together with a proper agreement to effectively shut down China's economy with sanctions if it doesn't become a democratic state and stay that way.

Problem is, Trump isn't the right person to be trusted on anything related to China, even if he can be right for the wrong reasons.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But to all those saying that nothing will happen, remember Huawei ??

That got banned and disappeared just like that in the USA.

Don't underestimate anything, in 45 days we will see what happens.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that just because this order does nothing right now doesn't mean it won't soon.

The secretary of commerce, who will decide the exact scope of this, is a Trump appointee.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
As suspected, another toothless, meaningless swing at the Chinese boogeyman Trump is trying to use to get re-elected.

Edit: To clarify, currently toothless as it does not have any scope, and what that scope may or may not be is unclear. This isn't meant to downplay the seriousness of an executive order, but to state that it's overbroad and directionless at this point. There's a lot of money wrapped up in this, and I hope Trump's legal team is going to get hit with lawsuits from all kinds of different angles.

Last edited:

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Spend your time pissing of fortnite/tik tok kids instead of taking charge of the country and stopping a pandemic from killing over 100k americans in an election year.

A cunning strategy

Pazee

Banned
Nov 5, 2019
User Banned (permanent): xenophobia, account in junior phase
Less money being spent on Chinese micro-transactions makes the money go elsewhere.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
What the hell makes people think this is toothless, after all the other china tarrifs and bans trump has legally enacted via executive order.

Seriously, where is this idea coming from?

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing it won't reach the deadline or rather the US wishes it wouldn't.

This is more of a threat to get them to the bargaining table. We may see date extensions.

But I am ignorant when it comes to this so it is just a guess.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
If Trump dropped this on a Thursday, he must have something even crazier cooked up for tomorrow night.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had written the following before the thread title update.

Is this the type of trump EO that's all talk and doesn't actually do anything, or actually does something.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA

Shock and awe, apparently the order doesn't actually do anything.

It is deceiving to say this doesn't do *anything*, it certainly does something in that it heightens uncertainty about what could be banned in 45 days. That it doesn't do anything quite yet and is basically TBD is significant though.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
"the order doesn't actually do anything" assumes the Commerce secretary will choose not to ban anything, which seems uhhhhh optimistic
Yeah, it's extremely ignorant about how these things work to hang anything on that statement.

That statement's not an out, that's literally how every executive order works. The intent of the order is clear as day and it's the commerce secretary's duty to carry out that order. The secretary could technically argue it's not lawful to do anything, but there's very little chance they'd do this order in the first place without the secretary being on board.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Toothless? Tell that to any soybean farmer or anyone else affected the dumb tariff crap he made up with China. This is the one thing he's held firm on.

There is literally zero scoping right now. Could it become something? Yes, it could, but right now, it's just an overbroad statement without any actual specifics.

Is it bad? Absolutely. But right now it's part of continued political theater. The specifics of it are what may or may not give it teeth.

Trump can stomp all over soybean farmers because they don't have the political power to do something about it. As he starts involving higher profile and bigger money players, we'll see if these things stick.

To be clear, when I'm talking about Trump's political circus, I'm talking about his whole push in the last few days, and saying things like Til Tok will be banned unless it's sold, including the caveat:
Trump also said any deal would have to include a "substantial amount of money" coming to the US Treasury.
Which makes no sense at all except in some abstract tax collecting way. I don't think there's a big picture plan here; I see a lot of bluster meant to look tough for a voter base that might be scared of China.

So I'm skeptical of what something like this will actually come to and who will actually be effected. But anyone and everyone should absolutely be on guard for him doing senseless things for political gain. I don't mean to downplay that.

Last edited: