night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love the question mark under phase 2, Trump truly is the meme president straight up referencing the underpants gnomes from South Park.

This ain't gonna happen anytime soon, when was the last time we even sent humans to the moon?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
k8xo7fdd_7p7f7i_1cabanj.png

k8xocgg4_f0qcgq_1cabanj.png

k8xofuga_n90vsc_1cabanj.png

k8xoh8pg_udxb11_1cabanj.png
Oh God it's so much worse in 3d

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I guess when imperialism on Earth doesn't work anymore you try to expand to space. It's also a weird thing to do when he's been all about defunding NASA and science in general.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who's "we"? American private companies?
Yes. Or Chinese private companies. Or governments. Or anyone who would alternatively mine and ruin environments here on Earth.

You mentioned ruining the Moon but I just can't see what humans can ruin. It has no atmosphere, no life, and gets direct hits from asteroids every single day, it's just, to me, a big irradiated rock.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
The funny thing is, in the Mass Effect universe, humanity is a unified front and gets along with itself in order to make a decent stand against the other alien races.

All this Trump shit does is expose that concept as a sham. Humanity will never get along with itself, space-faring or not. Our president wants to "fight it out" over the fucking moon.

Humanity would get along if we had a common enemy. We are a tribal species and right now our tribes on a small scale are our family and friends and on a large scale are religions, nation-states and, increasingly, political ideologies. However, if an alien race were to engage us tomorrow, you would quickly see the human race unite as one tribe to defend itself.

There is a Bedouin proverb that illustrates this scaling tribalism: I, against my brothers. I and my brothers against my cousins. I and my brothers and my cousins against the world.

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
All this executive order does is reiterate the US's official position on resource gathering from space, which is namely that it should be treated as a free market enterprise. The US has held this view for a while, which is why they never ratified the 1979 Moon Agreement. Obama even signed into law a bill in 2015 that explicitly allows US citizens and industries to "engage in the commercial exploration and exploitation of space resources" including water and minerals.

I don't really understand the outrage here.