For US politics and election threads

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has been asked already but if the dismissal is overturned by the 11th circuit, does it get assigned back to cannon or a new judge?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm sorry if this has been asked already but if the dismissal is overturned by the 11th circuit, does it get assigned back to cannon or a new judge?

Smith can ask for a new judge, but Trump's team will appeal the overturn and try to get it in front of the Supreme Court, who are more then willing to give him whatever he wants.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
She never should have been on the case to begin with. The upper court systems have practically no oversight.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
These last few weeks have made me believe religion has to be real. Dude made a deal with the devil because no one human being can have all these breaks. He truely is untouchable.
No need to bring religion into it. Our institutions frankly weren't built to contain a dude this wealthy/privledged.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, has a judge ever shown themselves to be more in the bag for someone appearing before them than this? Just a complete stooge. Utterly corrupt. And to drop it right after the assassination attempt as though we're all meant to forgive everything he'd done out of misplaced sympathy. I think she believes she can really get away with this. But as much I have contempt for the US legal system, I can't see something like this being allowed -- maybe if it goes to the Supreme Court somehow, that's the only way.

This needs to be immediately overturned and Cannon removed from the case. I wish there was a practical mechanism to have her removed from her position. She is utterly unfit and a criminal herself. Alas.

edit: OK, on second thoughts, I really don't see how this doesn't go to the SC and get upheld. Fuck.

Note the circuit do have means to block that tho. If they really care
Wait, are you saying the 11th can prevent the SC from taking it up? How?

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how quickly the 11th circuit can take this case.

This seems like it can be a BRUTAL rebuttal of Cannon.

So, I guess Cannon and the conservatives no longer care about having a Trump-Appointed Judge overseeing the case? The feeling now is that he's a shoe-in to win, so just delay the trial past the election, and he'll shut the case down himself after he wins?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Weird case of obvious corruption/bias that is probably the best outcome given the circumstances.

I know there are no practical solutions, especially that wouldn't be abused, but I just wish judges that make clearly poor / biased decisions or lawyers that waste time with ridiculous objections / motions / arguments to have real ramifications. Becoming a judge is a political position and unless there are repercussions for terrible performance or biased ruling we can't even begin to trust our legal system. And that's just 1 part of many that are fundamentally flawed or broken.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The cherry on this is if he announces Cannon to be his VP. Like it's not going to happen, but it would be the ultimate "What you going to do about it?"

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
The doomposters are always right
Since she was assigned this was always going to go to Trump's favor and the case would absolutely be appealed. This is just going to kick the can to the 11th Circuit. The main thing is not letting it get to the SC, keep Trump from the White House to not recommend another SC Justice and trying to keep another deficient Congress from obstructing bills from being passed and running a half dozen broken McCarthy-esque committees so that better legal clarification can be created to stop a lot of this bullshit.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I pretty much figured he wasn't going to have a come-to-Jesus moment after being shot. If you can't see the connection between political violence and Jan. 6, then you shouldn't have power again:

GSiUMJIWgAA4rxc

End the weaponization of our Justice System...says the guy who has already said will use the justice system to take out his opponents.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, I wasn't expecting to wake up to this news. She literally just took the mask off.

I do wonder if this particular play was completely orchestrated ahead of time

1. Trump's lawyers know their client is dead to rights, so they file a series of endless frivolous motions to delay (Fact)
2. Members of the Federalist Society tell Trump's lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of the special council (Fact)
3. Trump lawyers file motion to challenge special council (Fact)
4. Judge Cannon gives weight to the motion by not only granting a hearing but asks for 3rd party advocates to appear at the hearing! (Fact)
5. In a completely unrelated ruling, SC Clarence Thomas decides to go on a bizarre tangent that the special council might be unconstitutional (Fact)
6. Barely two weeks later (which is lightspeed for Cannon), Judge Cannon dismisses the case entirely based on the unconstitutionality of the special council (Fact)

So from #2 and on, it feels like the entire thing was orchestrated. Perhaps some Republican power brokers hatched a plan to get rid of the case and acted as a go between Clarance Thomas, the Federalist Society, Trump's lawyers and Judge Cannon. We already know Thomas is corrupt as f*ck. We know Trump's lawyers take cues from the Federalist Society. The missing piece is that we don't know who is in Judge Cannon's orbit. But the seriousness in which she took up the special council motion, which was such a far-fetched motion, and the quickness in which she dismissed the case after getting "backup" from Thomas, makes me think she was in on the program. My guess someone dropped her message somehow to focus on that motion and told her that she would get cover for it. (My conjecture)

It's just stunning seeing such blatant corruption. But yeah the good news is that this only squashes the case completely if Trump wins the election (which was already the case before). Considering she had already refused to set a trial date, it's hard to see this as even a delay tactic. She had already put the trial in the Bermuda triangle. Instead, this ruling is all about OPTICS. This allows for Trump in the final lead up to the election to say the classified documents case was dismissed or "100% Exonerated!". I don't think it's a coincidence she did this on the first day of the RNC right before Trump receives the nomination. So for election and campaign purposes, Cannon removed the "cloud" over Trump's head. She could have easily kept stalling the trial, but the cloud would have remained.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I wasn't expecting to wake up to this news. She literally just took the mask off.

1. Trump's lawyers know their client is dead to rights, so they file a series of endless frivolous motions to delay (Fact)
2. Members of the Federalist Society tell Trump's lawyers to challenge the constitutionality of the special council (Fact)
4. Judge Cannon gives weight to the motion by not only granting a hearing but asks for 3rd party advocates to appear at the hearing! (Fact)
5. In a completely unrelated ruling, SC Clarence Thomas decides to go on a bizarre tangent that the special council might be unconstitutional (Fact)
6. Barely two weeks later (which is lightspeed for Cannon), Judge Cannon dismisses the case entirely based on the unconstitutionality of the special council (Fact)

So from #2 and on, it feels like the entire thing was orchestrated. Perhaps some Republican power brokers hatched a plan to get rid of the case and acted as a go between Clarance Thomas, the Federalist Society, Trump's lawyers and Judge Cannon. We already know Thomas is corrupt as f*ck. We know Trump's lawyers take cues from the Federalist Society. The missing piece is that we don't know who is in Judge Cannon's orbit. But the seriousness in which she took up the special council motion, which was such a far-fetched motion, and the quickness in which she dismissed the case after getting "backup" from Thomas, makes me think she was in on the program. My guess someone dropped her message somehow to focus on that motion and told her that she would get cover for it. (My conjecture)

It's just stunning seeing such blatant corruption. But yeah the good news is that this only squashes the case completely if Trump wins the election (which was already the case before). Considering she had already refused to set a trial date, it's hard to see this as even a delay tactic. She had already put the trial in the Bermuda triangle. This ruling is all about OPTICS. This allows for Trump in the final lead up to the election to say the classified documents case was dismissed or "100% Exonerated!". I don't think it's a coincidence she did this on the first day of the RNC right before Trump receives the nomination. So for election and campaign purposes, Cannon removed the "cloud" over Trump's head. She could have easily kept stalling the trial, but the cloud would have remained.

It absolutely was all orchestrated

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, it's hard to not to view this as orchestrated between all of those parties. Thomas probably also let them know he'll have the votes to clear it through the SC after the inevitable appeal up from the 11th.

And the timing right at the start of the RNC is shocking. The fact they don't care one bit about how blatant they are being is very scary, like they already know they are untouchable and unstoppable.

I can't see how they haven't won either. The 11th circuit will overturn this and likely remove Cannon from the case but then it will be appealed up to the SC who will then delay it till after the election because that will stop the charges being refiled by a prosecutor who can do so in the meantime, and then they'll uphold the dismissal.

Meanwhile, to emphasise the twisted joke this all is, Trump gets his security clearance back and access to classified intelligence today, the Daily Presidential Brief, right? I really hope Biden shows a spine and doesn't allow it, but I know he will.

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah, it's hard to not to view this as orchestrated between all of those parties. Thomas probably also let them know he'll have the votes to clear it through the SC after the inevitable appeal up from the 11th.

And the timing right at the start of the RNC is shocking. The fact they don't care one bit about how blatant they are being is very scary, like they already know they are untouchable and unstoppable.

I can't see how they haven't won either. The 11th circuit will overturn this and likely remove Cannon from the case but then it will be appealed up to the SC who will then delay it till after the election because that will stop the charges being refiled by a prosecutor who can do so in the meantime, and then they'll uphold the dismissal.

Meanwhile, to emphasise the twisted joke this all is, Trump gets his security clearance back and access to classified intelligence today, the Daily Presidential Brief, right? I really hope Biden shows a spine and doesn't allow it, but I know he will.

This is why I'm saying the Coup is almost complete

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I've always assumed that Cannon is in constant communication with Trump's team and that they are coordinating all the moves here together.

You're giving folks way too much credit.

It's more likely that she saw Thomas signal that Special Prosecutors are unconstitutional then wrote an opinion based on that and Federalist Society arguments.

There's no need to coordinate all of this behind closed doors. SCOTUS Justices have a long history of "I really wish someone would make a case for this thing I hate. Here are the arguments that are persuasive to me" in their opinions. Thomas' concurrence is not unique in that regard.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017

It's just stunning seeing such blatant corruption. But yeah the good news is that this only squashes the case completely if Trump wins the election (which was already the case before). Considering she had already refused to set a trial date, it's hard to see this as even a delay tactic. She had already put the trial in the Bermuda triangle. Instead, this ruling is all about OPTICS. This allows for Trump in the final lead up to the election to say the classified documents case was dismissed or "100% Exonerated!". I don't think it's a coincidence she did this on the first day of the RNC right before Trump receives the nomination. So for election and campaign purposes, Cannon removed the "cloud" over Trump's head. She could have easily kept stalling the trial, but the cloud would have remained.

Just to talk of Thomas, I think it was him I heard mentioned by a guest on the majority report show a good few years back or maybe during trumps time as president and they pointed out how right wing think tanks go and find people to push lawsuits to get stuff ruled on that those right wing think tanks wanted rather than an actual person wanting to come forward to file a lawsuit themselves for being wronged.

During that conversation then they mentioned that Thomas would often make comments in his statements that were pretty clear signals to other things he would want to rule on and strike down so those think tank groups could find more lawsuits to have filed. At point I believe they mentioned a labour rights law/ruling of the past he made a comment about despite it not being involved in the case he was ruling on at the time. This kind of behaviour from his corrupt ass isn't new and he's been doing it for a long ass time. It's ridiculous how there's literally fuck all that can be done to stop this shit as well.

Oct 26, 2017

It's more likely that she saw Thomas signal that Special Prosecutors are unconstitutional then wrote an opinion based on that and Federalist Society arguments.

There's no need to coordinate all of this behind closed doors. SCOTUS Justices have a long history of "I really wish someone would make a case for this thing I hate. Here are the arguments that are persuasive to me" in their opinions. Thomas' concurrence is not unique in that regard.

Yeah I don't think Cannon was in direct contact with Trump's lawyers. They're not talking together in a group chat, lol.

However I do think this is more than just Cannon reading Thomas' concurrence in isolation and running with it. This is because Thomas wrote that concurrence just a couple of weeks ago, yet Cannon had already put the dominos in place the prior months. She gave the special council motion a full hearing and most egregiously she had outside parties make arguments, all before the SCOTUS opinion. So when Thomas did the concurrence, Judge Cannon just had to flick her wrist to knock down the final domino and the case was dismissed right before the RNC nomination with the cover by a Supreme Court justice.

Naw, this lines up way too cleanly for Cannon to only take her cue from Thomas beginning two weeks ago. Someone had to pass her note months ago to focus on this particular motion (which was far-fetched to begin with) and hold in-depth hearings, and then not make a ruling until the SCOTUS immunity decision came out. She easily could have ruled before Thomas' concurrence came out, but she sat on it. The timing really is highly suspect, especially when you put it in context with all the other bizarre decisions / non-decisions she's made the past couple of years.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
And that's why you dont stay home or downplay fighting this.

Be like France, Americans...cuz its not gonna get prettier than this from here on out.

Doubtful. The GOP, no, the global Far Right is now a fascist organized crime force. Corrupt or intimidated judges in the pocket is what they need to survive.

Hell, the desperation on these is more than enough evidence how winner take all this battle over justice on his crimes and elections are.

plagiarize

Khive rise up
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
And that's why you dont stay home or downplay fighting this.

Be like France, Americans...cuz its not gonna get prettier than this from here on out.

Doubtful. The GOP, no, the global Far Right is now a fascist organized crime force. Corrupt or intimidated judges in the pocket is what they need to survive.

Hell, the desperation on these is more than enough evidence how winner take all this battle over justice on his crimes and elections are.
So why have Thomas write that opinion if it was all orchestrated behind closed doors? Cannon could have done this regardless. People are trying to fit a narrative to the established facts, but not ignoring that if this *were* orchestrated, that it almost certainly wouldn't play out in such a fashion.

Doing it this way would raise unnecessary scrutiny.

Oct 26, 2017
So why have Thomas write that opinion if it was all orchestrated behind closed doors? Cannon could have done this regardless. People are trying to fit a narrative to the established facts, but not ignoring that if this *were* orchestrated, that it almost certainly wouldn't play out in such a fashion.

Cannon needed to have "some" level of cover to make such an absurd dismissal. Having the Federalist Society people present briefs at the hearings probably helped Cannon write up her 90 page ruling using their justifications. And then she can point to Thomas' concurrence, which she did multiple times, as justification for the dismissal. Her decision will likely still get reversed by the 11th circuit, but having cover by a Supreme Court justice and the briefs by those 3rd parties might help avoid her getting completely removed from the case.

And that's why this is so crazy because it IS bringing scrutiny to all of them, but clearly they don't care because they know ultimately no one can really do anything about it.

Again, I'm not saying it's definitely orchestrated. But the timelines and motives do match up pretty well where I wouldn't be surprised at all nor do I think it would be a leap of logic to think there was at least some level of coordination.

Last edited:

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Really, I see the "orchestration" as more the social networking/interacting in professional circles facilitated by orgs like FedSoc. I don't think anyone is picturing a closed door meeting. It's more something that is communicated along the people networked into all this stuff. I mean, FedSoc was specifically created to be a networking service for conservative lawyers and judges with specific conservative goals in mind. People in Thomas' orbit pass along ideas and feedback to others in Cannon's orbit and Trump's lawyers who get feedback from FedSoc who also facilitate the whole thing and put it into the Amicus briefs; they all get on the same page and understand what each of them can and is willing to do but they operate separately. They all have common goals that they are simply helping each other out with.

As to why Thomas said it in a ruling, two reasons:

1. Thomas already having put it into the air at the highest level strengthens this ruling and makes it less made out of whole cloth in public perception. And publicly signaling an avenue to the SC has its uses.

2. They no longer care about any scrutiny, which is the scariest of all. Thomas has been at this point most of his career. I mean, seriously, what's going to happen to Thomas for anything he does? Nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Really, I see the "orchestration" as more the social networking/interacting in professional circles facilitated by orgs like FedSoc. I don't think anyone is picturing a closed door meeting. It's more something that is communicated along the people networked into all this stuff. I mean, FedSoc was specifically created to be a networking service for conservative lawyers and judges with specific conservative goals in mind. People in Thomas' orbit pass along ideas and feedback to others in Cannon's orbit and Trump's lawyers who get feedback from FedSoc who also facilitate the whole thing and put it into the Amicus briefs; they all get on the same page and understand what each of them can and is willing to do but they operate separately. They all have common goals that they are simply helping each other out with.

1. Thomas already having put it into the air at the highest level strengthens this ruling and makes it less made out of whole cloth in public perception. And publicly signaling an avenue to the SC has its uses.

2. They no longer care about any scrutiny, which is the scariest of all. Thomas has been at this point most of his career. I mean, seriously, what's going to happen to Thomas? Nothing.

This. 100%

Malleymal

Oct 28, 2017
Yea… Trump is honestly teflon. I avoided that official court case thread because I knew nothing would come from, but I still can't believe that nothing will come from this. There are people pulling strings in their society that are performing a masterclass. Everything is shaping up how they wanted.

She delays this whole time to drop the case during the RNC? What?

These are the actions of people who have nothing to fear.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

2. They no longer care about any scrutiny, which is the scariest of all. Thomas has been at this point most of his career. I mean, seriously, what's going to happen to Thomas for anything he does? Nothing.

its the dichotomy of this:

If America is not broken, Donald Trump goes to prison and the GOP rots from weakening appeal aimed at a hard ceilinged minority.

Also they are betting against there not being a united front to prosecute their corruption, impeachment being non-feasible due to GOP unity, and the even more ephemeral united front to ignore these fiat Calvinball rules pulled out of their ass that only have one goal: save the rapist mob fascist under the first real serious legal fire of his life.

I dont think people get what happened earlier this year.

He rolled up the GOP.
He is the party now.
He is charged with and in one trial, convicted of felonies.
The 45yo Federalist Society Wishlist of RvW, Chevron, etc going down is policy, this is ignoring the system in lieu of pure fascist power grab. No rules, no logic, no precedence, no convicing rhetoric, just raw naked power.

People cant wave this off, or get to play dumb. They're playing do or die and people are panicking or petty squabbling. That aint gonna work. We have 4 months and opportunities. We cant squander them.

Yea… Trump is honestly teflon. I avoided that official court case thread because I knew nothing would come from, but I still can't believe that nothing will come from this. There are people pulling strings in their society that are performing a masterclass. Everything is shaping up how they wanted.

Thanks for the pep talk. The last 7 years couldnt be done without this wind beneath our wings. I'd like to think this was translated from the original French from before their runoffs, giving them hope in their fight.

Oct 29, 2017
I dont think people get what happened earlier this year.

He rolled up the GOP.
He is the party now.
He is charged with and in one trial, convicted of felonies.
The 45yo Federalist Society Wishlist of RvW, Chevron, etc going down is policy, this is ignoring the system in lieu of pure fascist power grab. No rules, no logic, no precedence, no convicing rhetoric, just raw naked power.

People cant wave this off, or get to play dumb. They're playing do or die and people are panicking or petty squabbling. That aint gonna work. We have 4 months and opportunities. We cant squander them.
Go post this in the 'Biden won't pull out' thread.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018

This is the best chance for this case to get in front of a different judge so it may have bought him more time, even though it wasn't going to reach trial before the election anyway. It ain't a slam dunk victory, and in fact I am kind of glad it happened now rather than having to wait for Jack Smith to appeal the inevitable decision on the case.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean, if she really, truly wanted to fuck up the entire thing, she'd have just waited until Jury selection was done, then dismissed the case, and double jeopardy would have kicked in, essentially letting him off scott free.

As it is now, she managed to successfully stall things for months, and then, when that clock was running out, she dismisses the case, meaning the DoJ will appeal, adding additional delays, and if the 11th circuit overturns her ruling and a new judge is assigned to pick up the trial, she can sit back and say reap the benefits of not having sold out Trump, and possibly securing herself a Supreme Court seat should Trump win in November (as if he'd reward her for her falling on the sword for him, but that's neither here nor there).

I'm not entirely sure she ever really wanted this case, but she found a way to make it work for her, and, naturally, for Trump as well.

Unless the DoJ decides to drop it, I'm not losing hope. This was too big of a transgression for Trump for them to drop the case. So now we'll see what the 11th Circuit has to say, and hopefully, they will rightfully recognize the danger of what Trump did by retaining those documents, and reverse the dismissal, and a new judge is assigned to take over.

Ultimately, it's out of my hands, so I'm not going to stress over it or waste energy stressing over it. Let's beat this fuckface in November, and whatever happens to him after that will be what it is.

Thalanil

Fallen Guardian
Aug 24, 2023
This is the best chance for this case to get in front of a different judge so it may have bought him more time, even though it wasn't going to reach trial before the election anyway. It ain't a slam dunk victory, and in fact I am kind of glad it happened now rather than having to wait for Jack Smith to appeal the inevitable decision on the case.

Also probably worse for Trump that this case gets to be back in the news because of this decision and the likely appeal. Since it was going nowhere fast anyway the ideal for him would have been for Cannon to just quietly keep delaying.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Eilleen Cannon is dummy according to her peers and legal scholars as well. Just kangaroo courts in the Federal Judiciary.