Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...8022a0-66ad-11e9-a698-2a8f808c9cfb_story.html

By Anna Fifield
April 25 at 3:05 PM

BEIJING — North Korea issued a $2 million bill for the hospital care of comatose American Otto Warmbier, insisting that a U.S. official sign a pledge to pay it before being allowed to fly the University of Virginia student from Pyongyang in 2017.

The presentation of the invoice — not previously disclosed by U.S. or North Korean officials — was extraordinarily brazen even for a regime known for its aggressive tactics.

But the main U.S. envoy sent to retrieve Warmbier signed an agreement to pay the medical bill on instructions passed down from President Trump, according to two people familiar with the situation. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
Absolutely amazing.
Just astonishing.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Blocked, but I did manage to see the headline, I think.

N.K. gave us a bill, and POTUS agreed to pay it? Did I see/understand that correctly?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of being represented by a baby-soft-ass coward.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is like in the Early Modern Period where the condemned nobles literally paid their executioners...

What the fuck is happening to this country?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
It didn't sound like we've officially paid, he just gave a verbal acknowledgement that he would to get the body back.

If he ever does pay this money, lol Republicans can't ever talk about spending ever again haha

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Trump probably had has hand in Kim's back pocket as he look him on a tour of N. Korea. Trump was wines dined, night at dinner with flowers as he blushed with a rose in his mouth. Then they went back to Kim's bedroom.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
So they kill an American and charged the government $2 million and are getting the money. Amazing.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
What!? They are going to pay NK $2 million for torturing and essentially killing an American citizen. This is dumb even for the current administration.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Astonishing.

Why not? Every Republican President of the modern era has exploded the debt ceiling, but they are the only ones that care about it when someone else is in charge.

A 5 billion dollar wall also shut that discussion down. But the US paying NK after killing a citizen is just a complete "I don't wanna hear it" territory.

You can't speak after that lol, you're on mute

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I must admit it. I'm just in awe at what he is able to get away with. It's just impressive in the gist of modern politics.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Does Trump's base think this is a good thing?

This seems like the type of thing they'd go after with guns blazing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Meanwhile...
images

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pay us 2 million, Russia will pay NK 2 million and wash some money and Trump gets 2 million for himself for being a Russian stooge.

/tinfoil hat.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
It says Trump agreed to pay for the 2 million dollars hill in order to have him releases.

It does not say if Trump did pay 2 million dollars

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Hold on, do we know if the bill was paid? The article suggests that it wasn't. If they just "agreed" to pay the bill to get Warmbier home, then that's AOK. If we don't have an intent to pay, then fine, I suppose.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry, paying them means we'll get it back ten fold with the deal that's being made. It pretty much pays for itself!

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Obama "paid a ransom" for Iranian hostages and they were outraged how weak he was?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
More detail in the OP would be nice, rather than just a link. Just going off that though...

First, he meets without pre-conditions, which the GOP hated Obama for even suggesting. Then he salutes a NK general. If that was Obama, impeachment for sure. Then he offers up reduced training exercises in exchange for a photo op with a dictator. Then, he gives Kim a pass for what happened with Otto. And now, he offers to pay for it. People call him tough, lol. The fact is, he'll sell this country out in a heartbeat if he can get a Nobel like Obama got, and a Trump Tower in NK.

How Fox News covered Obama and Trump re North Korea:

OP
OP
Bandage

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Hold on, do we know if the bill was paid? The article suggests that it wasn't. If they just "agreed" to pay the bill to get Warmbier home, then that's AOK. If we don't have an intent to pay, then fine, I suppose.
That's literally agreeing to terroristic demands.
In what world is it ok regardless of "intent"?
We know trump has no backbone with Kim.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
OP, thanks for adding more info. Trump, boasting about bringing Otto home, no mention of the payment here of course.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Isn't Kim meeting with Putin today?

lol. This motherfucker is getting dog walked.

You can almost hear putin in the BG over the phone.. "No no, 2 million.. (soviet chuckling)"

You sort of make a good point in a round about way. DJTrump aint going to pay the bill either way. Because hes a deadbeat.

But, no, this is pathetic any way you slice it. Kim is a dictator who drugged up and tortured that kid. In no way should we 'agree' to pay anything for them killing him.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I get lying to get a hostage back, but that also entails throughly burning that bridge.

The Administration might have been so dumb that they thought they could continue these peace talks without Korea bringing this up at least once.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
That's literally agreeing to terroristic demands.
In what world is it ok regardless of "intent"?
We know trump has no backbone with Kim.

It could also be interpreted as "just sign the papers, fuck 'em." If lying on paper means getting a US citizen out of a hostile country (whether those hostiles have basically killed him already or not), then I'd lie too. It also looks like they threw the bill at them as a tactic to get them to sign.

Yun, however, was faced with a more difficult predicament.

The North Korean officials handed him a bill for $2 million, insisting he sign an agreement to pay it before they would allow him to take Warmbier home, according to the two people familiar with the situation.

Yun called then-Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and told him about the bill. Tillerson called Trump. They instructed their envoy to sign the piece of paper agreeing that he would pay the $2 million, the two people said.

So yes, we know that Trump has no backbone when it comes to Kim, but right there, in the moment, I don't think anyone else would have done any different. There was a US citizen on the line. As far as I'm concerned, lying to N.K. to get a kid home (again, regardless of condition) is OK. That's under the VERY BIG ASSUMPTION that the treasury didn't pay. If they DID, then we know Trump is extremely weak, or seeking to appease Kim.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Trump basically paid a dictator, gave him free money... whatt ahwhathathhawretha!!!? If anything NK should be paying that dude's family, and then some, like ... I don't know, punishment for killing him?