• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
You've made zero attempt to acknowledge my actual point thats been clarified over and over and over again for you.

Ok there.

Are you even Canadian? Cause again, the only people bringing this up are conservatives. Even the NDP have mostly made their peace.

We're trying to explain to you that what he did is forgivable and that the vast majority of left leaning voters have forgiven him. He has done a lot of good for our country since 2015 compared to what was done before and what COULD have been had the election of 2019 changed. He's not perfect but calling him a racist or saddling him with something that he apologized for TWICE! demonstrates ignorance.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I never said any of that doesn't exist or that other countries can't give Canada shit for bad stuff. There are plenty of people that drive-by post his old brownface costume pic even when he's doing something positive, though.

There are always going to be disingenuous fucks who are more interested in getting a gotcha than having a real conversation. I've only been to Canada a few times and only in places like Montreal and Toronto so I cannot comment really on any cultural issues with Canada with any sort of sophistication. It just breaks my heart to see this happen anywhere, but especially in a country that prides itself on how well it assimilates immigrants and yet cannot assimilate the people that were there in the first place.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No one said shit about cancel culture. I'm trying to explain to you that at an individual level, just because someone apologized for something and claims to have grown for it doesn't mean the offended party needs to forgive or in your words "let it go".

You took that as me saying no one can be forgiven or they need be permanently cancelled. When I didn't say all that.

My point is, if people are still mad about his blackface, let them be.

For me personally, like I said and over and over I don't care about Trudeau's shit.

But I have watched a lot of white people I grew up with and heard make racist jokes give that same "I'm sorry and I've grown speech" this week and I think it's a weak and easy out people lean on too much. So you repeating that exact thing verbatim telling other people to get over it with Trudeau irks me. My only point is, they don't have to.

If it was a cheap attempt at a derail fine, but I think it's fair to bring up even if I'm not mad about it personally.
See I agree with you, I've seen a lot of white people say the same shit. The difference here is that this is a white dude that's been the head of the country for 4 years now, who has shown some attempt at willing to go to bat for minorities. Has he failed in some ways, yeah, definitely with his broken promises with the indigenous community. That's something people should call him out for. But this brown face and black face stuff feels like some weak gotcha.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You mean he just walked right in there without tear-gassing them or beating them up first?
Canadian Prime Ministers tend to wade into the crowd.

5UWANWM.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Ok there.

Are you even Canadian? Cause again, the only people bringing this up are conservatives. Even the NDP have mostly made their peace.
That has absolutely nothing to do with any point I've just made Jesus Fucking Christ.

It doesn't matter if they're Australian, American or Iranian. If Trudeau's blackface bothered them, you have no right to just demand they get over it. Thats a personal choice. That's all I'm saying to you, that's all I've been saying to you.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that people in this thread are more interested in discussing Trudeau's blackface than the reason these protests are even happening in Canada.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
That has absolutely nothing to do with any point I've just made Jesus Fucking Christ.

It doesn't matter if they're Australian, American or Iranian. If Trudeau's blackface bothered them, you have no right to just demand they get over it. Thats a personal choice. That's all I'm saying to you.

And I'm telling you most of us have. You're in the minority.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No patronizing bulshit, please

As if, since you are canadian, you only talk about canadian politics

I've done some research, and I'm aware that the conservative representation in Canada is not small

But being a conservative/racist candidate would put more than half of the population against you
2006: Conservatives win a minority: 36.27% of the vote.
2008: Conservatives win a minority: 37.65% of the vote.
2011: Conservatives win a majority, 39.62% of the vote.

How much more than half, exactly?

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm telling you most of us have. You're in the minority.
You clearly aren't reading my posts because I've told you several times I don't care about Trudeau's thing. So tell me, what exactly I'm in the minority for?

And even if I was, so the fuck what? Only a few people care so they don't matter or it doesn't matter? Is that your point?

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly aren't reading my posts because I've told you several times I don't care about Trudeau's thing. So tell me, what exactly I'm in the minority for?

And even if I was, so the fuck what? Only a few people care so they don't matter or it doesn't matter? Is that your point?
Minority of people engaging in the actual topic.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
straight out of the conservative playbook
Tbh I don't care since this applies to everyone responding to those posts too. I've seen people who think the protests in Canada are strictly because of what's happened in the US meanwhile an innocent woman is dead because of the Toronto police, at best, being inept and, at worst, being complete monsters. I don't care who's a conservative or how great it is that Trudeau's taken strong actions. This should be a moment to make people aware of the issues that are being overlooked entirely by people outside of Canada who idealize it (and people within Canada who also idealize it).

Oct 25, 2017
Because you keep bringing up his blackface thing and telling us how we don't have to let this go for some odd reason.
You either have the worst reading comprehension out of everyone I've ever interacted with this website or you're just a brilliant troll.

A completely different poster brought up blackface. Several of you got pissed and said let it go, most of the country has. My point is, as I've said several times now, they don't have to, especially for that reason.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that Trudeau demonstrates his support for this cause. We all need to do our part and he's taking some actions.
We need to not be complacent with the hate.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
There are always going to be disingenuous fucks who are more interested in getting a gotcha than having a real conversation. I've only been to Canada a few times and only in places like Montreal and Toronto so I cannot comment really on any cultural issues with Canada with any sort of sophistication. It just breaks my heart to see this happen anywhere, but especially in a country that prides itself on how well it assimilates immigrants and yet cannot assimilate the people that were there in the first place.
Not entirely relevant but I just want to point out that in Canada we prefer the idea of "coexistence" in a "cultural mosaic" instead of "assimilation" into a "melting pot". Whether that's anything more than rhetoric is up to you to decide.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh I don't care since this applies to everyone responding to those posts too. I've seen people who think the protests in Canada are strictly because of what's happened in the US meanwhile an innocent woman is dead because of the Toronto police, at best, being inept and, at worst, being complete monsters. I don't care who's a conservative or how great it is that Trudeau's taken strong actions. This should be a moment to make people aware of the issues that are being overlooked entirely by people outside of Canada who idealize it (and people within Canada who also idealize it).

The problem is that Trudeau is such a polarizing figure that everything is seen through that political lens.

On one hand Trudeau shouldn't have attended the protest because of it. People WILL invoke black face. But if he doesn't gesture a support in this, people will see that as him not supportive of the cause. It's a tough bind but I don't blame him for joining in. It gets Scheer's panties in a knot.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I don't care if Trudeau engages in the most obscene private racism as long as it doesn't extend to his public actions. I can't say I understand your particular mindset. For me, a person is their actions. Nothing more, nothing less.
If he is a racist in private, you cant understand why I wouldnt give a shit about him being in the protest?

Well, let's agree to disagree then. Can't understand your particular mindset either.

I

Dude, shut up. For real.
Classy contribution to this thread

It's wild that people in this thread are more interested in discussing Trudeau's blackface than the reason these protests are even happening in Canada.

"Guy who wore blackface going to a BLM protest"

Is it really that hard to grasp why this discussion is happening? Really?

And Jesus, for the last time: I have never voted conservative in my entire life

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Not entirely relevant but I just want to point out that in Canada we prefer the idea of "coexistence" in a "cultural mosaic" instead of "assimilation" into a "melting pot". Whether that's anything more than rhetoric is up to you to decide.

I appreciate the information. I'll make sure to change my language in the future, I understand how 'assimilation' and 'melting pot' can have negative connotations.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Yah that's pretty much Canadian doctrine. A collection of unqique individuals.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe there was a thread about Trudeau at a soup kitchen that I missed that turned into blackface argument and people are still reeling from that, but it's not hard to see why someone would bring it up in this story.

You either appreciate the gesture or find it disingenuous. I actually appreciate the gesture, with some side eye because this story is a political cartoon that writes itself.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
If he is a racist in private, you cant understand why I wouldnt give a shit about him being in the protest?

Well, let's agree to disagree then. Can't understand your particular mindset either.

Classy contribution to this thread

"Guy who wore blackface going to a BLM protest"

Is it really that hard to grasp why this discussion is happening? Really?

What's your opinion on what happened to Regis Korchinski-Paquet?

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
He's atoned imo. Still a dummard at times but clearly he and NZ are doing their best to lead the free world at the moment.

Trump could crush Canada and the volatility means he has to be diplomatic. He's Only gotta walk the line for 7 months more.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
The blackface comments are the lowest of hanging fruits. Everyone knows about the pictures, he's apologized, he's going to have to deal with it. But if that's all everyone is going to bring up whenever Trudeau does anything, then what's your real argument? Do you really think he made a big mistake and is not racist, or is he a secret racist that doesn't deserve be there? He's the Prime Minister, showing support for a protest I think most Canadians agree with.

Yet this shit is ubiquitous online with the constant attacks using the black face pictures, yet digging into these social media accounts reveals usual loads of white ultra conservative men who have anti mulsim posts. Come on.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is not wrong for black men and women to hold Trudeau accountable for racist actions in the past. He's the leader of our country and, as such, should be held to standards beyond that of backwards yokels.

Y'all, the fuck.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Dude has been calling out Canadas systemic racism and it now out showing his support in person. If you want to side eye that because he was an idiot 20 years ago then thats fine. Personally I am happy about this because it at least looks like he is listening and wants to listen to the people. Even if its just because it will get him reelected by supporting the people, it can be a mutually beneficial relationship. Sincere or not. I do believe he is sincere.

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question, have you forgiven everyone that's ever apologized that's have claimed to have grown and learn? Or does it depend on the person, the offense and the growth you've seen?

Do you see how that answer could be different for individual people?

Id rather someone show me they've made an effort to be better than hold mistakes they made over their head forever.

Id rather a racist understand that they are hurting people and stop instead of them being a racist forever.

I don't forgive people who are apathetic and uncaring and don't understand what they did was wrong.

I am in the group affected by Trudeaus actions. I am brown and I am Canadian. I see he isn't the same person from 19 years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
The blackface comments are the lowest of hanging fruits. Everyone knows about the pictures, he's apologized, he's going to have to deal with it. But if that's all everyone is going to bring up whenever Trudeau does anything, then what's your real argument? Do you really think he made a big mistake and is not racist, or is he a secret racist that doesn't deserve be there? He's the Prime Minister, showing support for a protest I think most Canadians agree with.

Yet this shit is ubiquitous online with the constant attacks using the black face pictures, yet digging into these social media accounts reveals usual loads of white ultra conservative men who have anti mulsim posts. Come on.
You say "bring it up everytime he does anything" as if this instance isn't particularly race related?

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really hope this gets the ball moving here. Cbc had a blm organizer on talking about police abolition and I'm frankly amazed that the news is even entertaining the idea. We should keep pushing to get what we can

Oct 25, 2017
Id rather someone show me they've made an effort to be better than hold mistakes they made over their head forever.

I don't forgive people who are apathetic and uncaring and don't understand what they did was wrong.

I am in the group affected by Trudeaus actions. I am brown and I am Canadian. I see he isn't the same person from 19 years ago.
Okay then, that's fine, but that doesn't mean someone who doesn't agree with you in this instance can't forgive anyone for anything like you originally said.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
As an old-stock whiter than white bread Canadian all I can say is people, especially Black and Brown Canadians, are allowed to still be pissed of with Trudeau over his blackface shenanigans. What offends someone is a personal decision and others can't tell them "to get over it."

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this gets the ball moving here. Cbc had a blm organizer on talking about police abolition and I'm frankly amazed that the news is even entertaining the idea. We should keep pushing to get what we can

I'm so glad you brought that up.

I can't speak for the government right now as I don't know where their head is at (especially with Blair is public safety minister) but on the sidelines people are talking about it more here in Canada.

This twitter thread lists a bunch of interviews and articles of the subject and seems to be a viable reality.

Again... Bill Blair is Public Safety Minister, Bill Blair is Public Safety Minister

Oct 25, 2017
As an old-stock whiter than white bread Canadian all I can say is people, especially Black and Brown Canadians, are allowed to still be pissed of with Trudeau over his blackface shenanigans. What offends someone is a personal decision and others can't tell them "to get over it."
Agreed. I don't understand why some people are so bothered by that.

If it's a cheap derail about another topic sure, I understand getting annoyed by that, but the topic is literally about black lives.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You certainly are pushing the agenda they have. I don't give a shit if you don't like Trudeau but I do care when your posts seem to be only pushing one aspect.

Exactly that's why this is an issue.

Yes they can be upset but it's disengenious to say that he hasn't shown he has put effort into changing. That's what makes some of these posts super transparent.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
You certainly are pushing the agenda they have. I don't give a shit if you don't like Trudeau but I do care when your posts seem to be only pushing one aspect.
Exactly that's why this is an issue.

Yes they can be upset but it's disengenious to say that he hasn't shown he has put effort into changing. That's what makes some of these posts super transparent.

Yah. Its really weird especially those who haven't been following Canadian politics all that closely.