• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not a gun guy by any means... and I even voted Liberal..

..but this is security theater nonsense.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is good, but I know some people who won't be too happy about it.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, but at the same time those killings did not seem to be much about the guns firepower at all. He could have been just as sufficient with a simple hand gun or hunting rifle. That guy used trust(and fire) more than anything else to kill all those people.

Jul 18, 2018
How does this affect historic/valuable/ weapons? Would value of them go down because of them being decommissioned

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until people kill politicians in the US I very much doubt they will ever do the same...

When you let kids being gunned down become normality you are a cunt.

Now start making it near impossible for illegal arms to cross the border.

ps3ud0 8)

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Some details if people don't know already: the AR-15, one of the most popular models and one that is banned by this announcement, is the civilian version of the M-16. It's popular because it's easily modifiable for any sort of add-on or illicit modification.
I'd say you have that backwards. There's a sizeable cottage industry of aftermarket parts because it's popular, and it's popular because it's the civilian version of the M-16.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
iu

JPLC

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
He didn't have a firearms license and had illegal guns...

This law won't stop that.

Just like banning booze didn't stop people from drinking.
Ah dang, guess we better legalize all murder too then; I mean, people are just gonna do it anyway, right? /s

As a Canadian, I think this ban is a very good decision

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ahh Jim Jeffries routine on gun control comes into play here.
Yep.

I also have loved the argument of "Well it's for defense if someone breaks in. As a law abiding gun owner who follows safe gun practices I should be allowed". I always then think...safe gun practices mean guns are locked up, unloaded. So if you are following that and someone kicks in your door. Are you really going to have the time anyways to get your gun, load it and defend yourself? So either you dont have a sense of time or you aren't following safe gun practices.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

It reduces the likelihood of possessing it. If the guns are banned in Canada you can't steal it or buy it illegally from a Canadian, and they are much harder to get illegally from elsewhere because they are flagged as not allowed in the country.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
"But what if someone breaks into my home, how will I create a shootout now?"

You'd probably go to jail in Canada if you shot an intruder in your home, Canada does not have stand your ground/castle laws.

Question: is the Norinco M305 banned by this? I've always wanted to get my license and own it for target practice, but if it's banned, it's banned.

The M305 is a Chinese knockoff of the M14 which is now prohibited, so I would assume they aren't dumb enough to leave it off the list.

Half of my guns are now prohibited, gonna get rid of all of them and and tear up my licenses. hopefully the buy back program gives me back some money I've spent over the years.

Edit: I just realized that we can grandfather stuff in, so I will be keeping my stuff for the foreseeable future.

Anyway there needs to be a massive crackdown on illegal guns as well or else this won't do all that much.

Last edited:

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Ah dang, guess we better legalize all murder too then; I mean, people are just gonna do it anyway, right? /s

As a Canadian, I think this ban is a very good decision

I can't roll my eyes hard enough
We already have laws in place. We can't buy absurd guns like they can in the states. We can't walk around like lunatics at Applebee's.

The guns that were legal that they are banning are no more deadly than the ones we can still own. This is nothing but theater.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

So what's the solution? Drinking is a pretty widely accepted vice. Shooting guns, not so much so.

A large amount of gun ownership is due to the 'THE POCS WILL MURDER YOU IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE' marketing plan so there's that.

Gotta start somewhere to make it seem less socially acceptable to roll around with an AK,

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
How does this affect historic/valuable/ weapons? Would value of them go down because of them being decommissioned
Don't you usually....not fire those weapons?
Yes and no. The black powder stuff is usually kept in glass cases while replicas are fired at the range, but no one's starting a massacre with a musket anyway.

But something like a WW1 Mosin rifle would be over 100 years old and in all likelihood still in working condition. You may wonder why some C&R collector would take one to the range after waxing effusive about it being a piece of history, but there are only two reasons to seriously consider: One, military rifles tend to be ridiculously durable. Two. . . Russia made over 30 million of them. Some of them are still in service.

At least in the U.S., C&R is basically a loophole to own working firearms based on "historical" value. Sometimes it's legitimate -- if you own your great-paw-paw's M1911 I'm not inclined to take that from you -- but often times the historical value is questionable. Some mass-produced Eastern European models that are less than 50 years old got categorized as C&R because their country of origin technically doesn't exist anymore, but is anyone seriously making the case that the world would suffer from the extinction of some obscure 9mm handgun?

Last edited:

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't roll my eyes hard enough
We already have laws in place. We can't buy absurd guns like they can in the states. We can't walk around like lunatics at Applebee's.

The guns that were legal that they are banning are no more deadly than the ones we can still own. This is nothing but theater.
Except as was shown in this thread, you can easily turn one of those guns into a previously banned gun by fucking 3d printing a larger clip. You know shit that people do.

There is zero good argument to owning one of those guns other than "I like guns". Home security? Bullshit excuse. Personal protection? Owning a gun INCREASES your chances of being shot by a gun by a lot. Hunting? There are tons of guns they didn't ban that you can still easily hunt with. "My rights!" Not in Canada pal.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes and no. The black powder stuff is usually kept in glass cases while replicas are fired at the range.

But something like a WW1 Mosin rifle would be over 100 years old and in all likelihood still in working condition. You may wonder why some C&R collector would take one to the range after waxing effusive about it being a piece of history, but there are only two reasons to seriously consider: One, military rifles tend to be ridiculously durable. Two. . . Russia made over 30 million of them. Some of them are still in service.

At least in the U.S., C&R is basically a loophole to own working firearms based on "historical" value. Sometimes it's legitimate -- if you own your great-paw-paw's M1911 I'm not inclined to take that from you -- but often times the historical value is questionable. Some mass-produced Eastern European models that are less than 50 years old got categorized as C&R because their country of origin technically doesn't exist anymore, but is anyone seriously making the case that the world would suffer from the extinction of some obscure 9mm handgun?
Aren't bolt-action mosins no different than a random hunting rifle?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I'm going to quote someone's comment on Reddit about this because I'm lazy and I don't want to reword the same argument over and over.

KamikazeArchon said:
If there are very many legal X, it makes illegal X cheaper to acquire.

If there are no legal X, it makes illegal X more expensive.

The effectiveness of bans on controlling illicit X depends on a number of factors. One of them is ease of concealment. For example, drugs are relatively quite easy to conceal, especially at single-use levels; a gram of powder can be hidden in many, many places. Guns are quite a bit harder to conceal, both in transportation and in use. Not impossible, but harder.

Laws and enforcement of laws are not about 100% measures. They are about partial measures. A speed limit of 60 doesn't stop 100% of people from going 80 - but there are fewer people going 80 than if there was no speed limit.

Laws are, of course, insufficient by themselves - for example, they could have this law on the books but never enforce it. It is one element of a large number of approaches, each of which is perhaps a few percentage points or even a single percentage point of change.

That is the way any large, complex problem works. It is never "solved", but made better by many tiny percentage points piled together. But it is certainly convenient for an opponent to point at any given one of the small improvements and say "this doesn't solve the problem, so it's useless".

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
There is zero good argument to owning one of those guns other than "I like guns". Home security? Bullshit excuse. Personal protection? Owning a gun INCREASES your chances of being shot by a gun by a lot. Hunting? There are tons of guns they didn't ban that you can still easily hunt with. "My rights!" Not in Canada pal.

I think the person you're most likely to shoot with that gun is yourself.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the person you're most likely to shoot with that gun is yourself.
Yes. But also, someone breaks into your house with a gun. They aren't there to kill you, the gun is there to make sure you don't try and stop them from taking your stuff. You pull a gun, they will shoot you as their life is at risk. Owning a gun doesn't protect you, just makes it far more likely that someone's going to die

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Canadian gun laws are so arbitrary. I always love seeing the shocked reactions when people actually learn what you can legally own here.

This won't do much to prevent a similar event from happening in the future, but it will make people "feel" better and make the government look like its doing something. As far as I know the NS shooter didn't have a firearms license and had stockpiled illegal firearms with illegal high-cap magazines. Any future shooter will just hit the black market and do the same thing.

Banning a subset of guns based on "how they look" is incredibly dumb when magazine size (an already regulated thing) is the main factor that determines killing power. A blanket ban on all magazine-fed (semi-auto really) weapons would make way more sense from a functional perspective than a ban on scary looking guns. The guns that are still legal after this ban sweep are just as deadly as the ones that were banned.

I guess it's hard to defend gun ownership, but I personally think Canada's gun laws are already pretty fair.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Canadian gun laws are so arbitrary. I always love seeing the shocked reactions when people actually learn what you can legally own here.

This won't do much to prevent a similar event from happening in the future, but it will make people "feel" better and make the government look like its doing something. As far as I know the NS shooter didn't have a firearms license and had stockpiled illegal firearms with illegal high-cap magazines. Any future shooter will just hit the black market and do the same thing.

Banning a subset of guns based on "how they look" is incredibly dumb when magazine size (an already regulated thing) is the main factor that determines killing power. A blanket ban on all magazine-fed (semi-auto really) weapons would make way more sense from a functional perspective than a ban on scary looking guns. The guns that are still legal after this ban sweep are just as deadly as the ones that were banned.

I guess it's hard to defend gun ownership, but I personally think Canada's gun laws are completely fair as they stand.
we border the largest gun manufacturer on the planet

we are not secure enough

I call for even more tougher measures

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Except as was shown in this thread, you can easily turn one of those guns into a previously banned gun by fucking 3d printing a larger clip. You know shit that people do.

Yes you can Illegally print a clip for these...

Just like I'm sure you could illegally do the same for a Ruger .22 that will never ever be made illegal.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Wait... aren't we saying the same thing?
We are? I took you to mean the availability of mods is what made the AR-15 popular. If so, I don't think so. It wasn't designed to be configurable, at least not explicitly. All the mods and such came out over the years because military fetishists have a hard-on for the M-16. The mods were innovated by businesses wanting to hop on that gravy train.

American terrorists favor the AR-15 because it's cheap, readily available, and lethal. Ban it and they'll move on to something else, of course, but that combination works well for them.
Aren't bolt-action mosins no different than a random hunting rifle?
I don't know what you mean by "random" and I'm not a gun nut (even if I sound like one sometimes) so I'm not sure what's popular. I would guess that bolt-actions are far from extinct, but a significant number of hunters use AR-15s because they are veterans trained on the M-16 on Uncle Sam's dime, so it's easier than learning something else. There's nothing stopping anyone from using a Mosin for hunting, but it'd be a "big game" rifle (deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.). You don't want to go varmint hunting with it; there won't be much left of anything you hit.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
We are? I took you to mean the availability of mods is what made the AR-15 popular. If so, I don't think so. It wasn't designed to be configurable, at least not explicitly. All the mods and such came out over the years because military fetishists have a hard-on for the M-16. The mods were innovated by businesses wanting to hop on that gravy train.

American terrorists favor the AR-15 because it's cheap, readily available, and lethal. Ban it and they'll move on to something else, of course, but that combination works well for them.I don't know what you mean by "random" and I'm not a gun nut (even if I sound like one sometimes) so I'm not sure what's popular. I would guess that bolt-actions are far from extinct, but a significant number of hunters use AR-15s because they are veterans trained on the M-16 on Uncle Sam's dime, so it's easier than learning something else. There's nothing stopping anyone from using a Mosin for hunting, but it'd be a "big game" rifle (deer, elk, moose, bear, etc.). You don't want to go varmint hunting with it; there won't be much left of anything you hit.

You were never allowed to hunt with an Ar-15 in Canada, maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.