• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

store.steampowered.com

Save 60% on TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children on Steam

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is the first season of a turn-based strategy SRPG that takes place in the world of Troubleshooter.

www.youtube.com

Troubleshooter Early Access Trailer [Steam]

http://store.steampowered.com/app/470310/Troubleshooter/

Troubleshooter. It's anime-XCOM w/ FFT character building & VN storytelling.

And it's legit dreamy.

Another indie out of Korea that just went 1.0 a few weeks back, it's the team's first release. It's drawing influence from a number of places and it's pulled off with an infectious upstart, whipsmart confidence.

Mechanically it's lifted straight out of modern XCOM but with enough new spins & layers of depth that it feels familiar yet fresh. On the map there's overlapping layers of synergy, enough to make the mind reel. Buff & debuff possibilities can seem limitless (seriously, there's over 600 Mastery types that you can equip each character with).

Quick example. Fighting indoors and my partner says, "Hey, there's a fuse box over there. You should flip it since we're outnumbered here." So I do it and the room falls into darkness, giving everyone (including my team) a vision, movement & hit-chance debuff. Then he goes, "You got some flashbangs, right?" Well flashbangs daze everyone in the aoe. BUT...if those poor saps also have the darkness debuff, the combo of darkness & daze makes them start panicking and shooting both enemies & allies randomly. Bonus. BUUUT...only 3 of the 4 baddies proc'd panic debuff because when I triggered the flash...the last one had a Sunglasses modifier (Mastery) equipped. You know, just in case that 1 in a million situation arose. Guess it was his lucky day. (ed. It wasn't.) Bonkers.

And that's not even getting into the environmental synergies much like the Divinity: Original Sin mechanics. Yeah so you see someone standing in a pool of oil. Looks like a fireball should warm them up right nice. But here it's like a dozen layers deeper. What time of day is it outside? Is there a breeze in the air? How hot or cold is it? You can capitalize on all these factors and many more.

ss_b2bf4a3eda9e14d59d881162ea649f33f5265333.1920x1080.jpg

Combat in Troubleshooter is super melee-focused. There are guns. And there's magic projectiles. But it's equally balanced with crazy-cool h2h fighting disciplines. From the traditional martial arts style to the more wacky break dancing variety. (Hey, it's anime.) The combo of h2h + magic disciplines take the XCOM blueprint and make it feel incredibly invigorated in practice.

Story is really great so far. You play a newly-graduated Troubleshooter in the near future. You part of a civilian paramilitary group that works adjacent with more traditional police forces in the country. Your team have Judge Dread jury/executioner rights and a baller Persona-like fashion style. As someone else put it, "a civilian militia of superhero punk rock kids called Troubleshooters." I can already see the story tension rising as the Troubleshooters start clashing with the FedPD as the latter are sectioning off neighborhoods and whole cities due to escalating crime. Then there's that whole rising cult thing with these weirdos who worship spoons [sic].

Besides the wealth of writing & character development, out of combat you're also building your character's stat loadouts Final Fantasy Tactics style. Seriously, there's more tables, stats and combo possibilities than I've seen in a long time. They just went all in on the fine customization of character job systems. When you start feeding skills into other skills to make even bigger, better & more badass skills, you start to appreciate the madness that went into these systems.

Presentation is great. AA budget that's well realized. Combat maps have tons of environmental detail. Storytelling is a combo of 3D environmental shots (w/ quite creative cinematography, oddly enough) and VN type stills. Both done really well. Music is baller. Nice mix of big, dumb anime hair-metal and smooth jazz, intersperses with more serious notes. And THANKFULLY (seriously, this would have been a deal-breaker), no gross anime tropes. Everyone is tastefully dressed. Males & females are equally strong in character. Fresh.

ss_eb9ed643239a227e81edaf1ef96fff30f26c2e90.1920x1080.jpg

When I started to recognize how special this production was the big takeaway for me was how fun it was to be experiencing an XCOM-adjacent gameplay loop that wasn't all grim & serious like the source material. The over-the-top flashy anime, both on and off the field. The interesting characters and heavy focus on story in between combat. The whole production just had so much energy & life behind it.

It's so crazy that we're in a season of riches with the recent launches of XCOM: Chimera Squad and Gears Tactics. Yet here comes this little $25 indie out of S. Korea that completely steals the show. Made by a team of 6 people it's gem that just epitomizes heart and verve. There's a bit of a cult following behind it, it'll probably go largely unnoticed all told. But for me I'm just glad I heard about it. It's most fun XCOM has been in years.

99% to hit success!

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I needed something new to play, thanks for the recommendation OP. Looks good.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the translation? I remember it looking a bit rough early on.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
pretty sure someone made a thread about this game when it came out few weeks ago?
only played a few missions, this game is deep

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
My only problem with it is the lack of controller support. I have to play it at my desk which isn't as comfortable playing it on my TV with a controller. I'll live though.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This game always sounds so good... but it still has the always-online DRM doesn't it?

Jehuti

Oct 29, 2017
Great thread. Popped onto steam to check reviews & was pleasantly surprised. Love the dev's response to criticism, they seem like a very skilled, humble group of people.

Will buy a copy for myself & my wife to support them. Looking forward to getting stuck in once I'm home later on!

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I have this on my whistlist. They recently increased the price in some regions, including mine, which soured me on the game. They didn't increase it at full release launch, but just recently without any heads up.
steamdb.info

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children · AppID: 470310

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is the first season of a turn-based strategy SRPG that takes place in the world of Troubleshooter. TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children Steam charts, data, update history.

This game always sounds so good... but it still has the always-online DRM doesn't it?
Not anymore.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I have this on my whistlist. They recently increased the price in some regions, including mine, which soured me on the game. They didn't increase it at full release launch, but just recently without any heads up.
steamdb.info

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children is the first season of a turn-based strategy SRPG that takes place in the world of Troubleshooter. TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children Steam charts, data, update history.

Not anymore.
omg I had given up hope. Thank you!

If the new Total Warhammer DLC wasn't releasing tomorrow I think I'd have just bought it now. So onto the wishlist it goes.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
steamdb.info

I hate those types of price increases coming out of the blue, so I'm glad to have purchased this a few days before it.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
Nice signal boost, OP. This looks like it could be fun. I just started my summer vacation and I might just pick this up to try it out at some point.

Oct 31, 2017
I bought it some time ago, I played the first few missions... And so far it failed pretty badly to keep me hooked, I have to admit.
From what I've seen describing it as "anime XCOM" is a pretty flattering summary, all things considered.

But I plan to give it more chances in the future.

OP
OP
Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
steamdb.info

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children :: [Notice] The price changes caused by bypass purchases in some countries.

[Notice] The price changes caused by bypass purchases in some countries.

They raised the price as an emergency response to people using OOC VPNs to mass-purchase keys for cheap outside their country.

They profusely apologized and said to wait if you're in one of the affected countries as Valve won't let them change the price for 30 days after the initial change.

Yeah, the translation supposedly being pretty bad is the main reason why I haven't tried it yet. Anyone?

It's rusty in spots but they've been working on polishing it up. The actual dialogue between characters seems fine all told.

I notice it mainly in tutorial tool-tips.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Steam :: TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children :: [Notice] The price changes caused by bypass purchases in some countries.

They raised the price as an emergency response to people using OOC VPNs to mass-purchase keys for cheap outside their country.

They profusely apologized and said to wait if you're in one of the affected countries as Valve won't let them change the price for 30 days after the initial change.
Huh, I see.

So it's system abusers on the act yet again, and of course we're the ones who suffer from it. Sigh.

OP
OP
Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Would that cause problems for someone who hasn't played XCOM?

Some of the phrasing is a little strange on a couple tutorial pop-ups, but since you're performing the action it's describing anyway, you get a sense of what they're talking about in practice.

It's certainly more intuitive if you've played XCOM, but the tutorials carry over several missions so I'd say the teaching aspect is pretty extensive.

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Its on sale and I took the plunge.
So many positive reviews saying its better or on par with xcom. Hoping thats the case!

Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to make my own topic but I found this one instead.

To everyone who might see this, YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME. I downloaded it on a whim and 100 hours later I've beaten it. If you like ANY game about making builds this is the equivalent of pure white cocaine.

Ever spent hours respecing characters in Pathfinder Kingmaker? This game is for you.

Build math for Diablo? Path of Exile? This game is for you.

Fire Emblem Eugenics experts? This game is for you.

I can't think of another RPG that approaches unit customization like this. Like absurd 600+ different passive abilities; many of them not great and sorta situational, but nothing that you could't see it fit into one build or another. Like I'm getting build ideas while I'm at work and dying to try it out in game.

And I think it also really bears saying in this current era of early access games and complicated games. This game is crazy ambitious and has more systems in play than goddamn Xenoblade games. There are 600 passives.

It's also crazy long but it keeps itself interesting; I think this is mostly a reflection of how the game was released piecemeal. Like at the start you have basic generic XCOM soldiers on all missions while you have a very small handful of hero units that you can actually customize as above. As the game goes on you get more and more hero units and you get less generic XCOM units to use. Like every new hero unit you get is crazy unique; they have obvious roles but with again the 600+ passives you can shape anybody into anything by shoring up weaknesses, playing to strengths or just going haywire and making meme builds.

And like 50 hours in they introduce a goddamn Pokemon-like monster capture training system where now you can train and customize your own monster and go on quests to capture more monsters and there's entire skill trees and builds that focus on buffing your pet monsters and evolution and it's completely unnecessary but they added on an entire whole system which could've been the entire game.

And 80 hours in they decide to just throw Robot customization too with it's own separate upgrade tree and mechanics and it's also unnecessary and can be a whole game onto itself but it's there if you want to get into it.

This is definitely a grind heavy game, but it gives you so much dopamine for the grind. With the right set up you level up crazy fast, and essentially the main way you get stronger is less raw stats but as you level the more passives you can fit so like your optimal builds can change on a level by level basis and you're always feeling the urge to tinker. And sometimes you can think of a crazy build but you just need like 2 more levels to get enough passives to make your frankenstein monster actually work and it fuels a "just one more" mentality.

And against all odds IT IS GLITCH FREE. Like literally in 100 hours I had one audio glitch and one instance where I triggered a cutscene, a forced turn interrupt, a confusion effect and like reaction shots for at least 5 units where the game literally had to pause for 5 seconds but even then it pulled through the math and got through it. I remember playing Wolcen and that thing glitched out every other minute and had like a fraction of Troubleshooter's customization.

But yeah, this game is amazing. Despite using XCOM's basic gameplay structure I'd recommend it less for XCOm fans and more for straight up character building SRPG fans like Fire Emblem or FFT.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I wish xcom remained as grim and dark as you complain about it being. XCOM2 (specially WotC) are literally anime already.

Will check out this game later anyway.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

To everyone who might see this, YOU HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME. I downloaded it on a whim and 100 hours later I've beaten it. If you like ANY game about making builds this is the equivalent of pure white cocaine.

Ever spent hours respecing characters in Pathfinder Kingmaker? This game is for you.

I can't think of another RPG that approaches unit customization like this. Like absurd 600+ different passive abilities; many of them not great and sorta situational, but nothing that you could't see it fit into one build or another. Like I'm getting build ideas while I'm at work and dying to try it out in game.

And I think it also really bears saying in this current era of early access games and complicated games. This game is crazy ambitious and has more systems in play than goddamn Xenoblade games. There are 600 passives.

It's also crazy long but it keeps itself interesting; I think this is mostly a reflection of how the game was released piecemeal. Like at the start you have basic generic XCOM soldiers on all missions while you have a very small handful of hero units that you can actually customize as above. As the game goes on you get more and more hero units and you get less generic XCOM units to use. Like every new hero unit you get is crazy unique; they have obvious roles but with again the 600+ passives you can shape anybody into anything by shoring up weaknesses, playing to strengths or just going haywire and making meme builds.

And like 50 hours in they introduce a goddamn Pokemon-like monster capture training system where now you can train and customize your own monster and go on quests to capture more monsters and there's entire skill trees and builds that focus on buffing your pet monsters and evolution and it's completely unnecessary but they added on an entire whole system which could've been the entire game.

And 80 hours in they decide to just throw Robot customization too with it's own separate upgrade tree and mechanics and it's also unnecessary and can be a whole game onto itself but it's there if you want to get into it.

This is definitely a grind heavy game, but it gives you so much dopamine for the grind. With the right set up you level up crazy fast, and essentially the main way you get stronger is less raw stats but as you level the more passives you can fit so like your optimal builds can change on a level by level basis and you're always feeling the urge to tinker. And sometimes you can think of a crazy build but you just need like 2 more levels to get enough passives to make your frankenstein monster actually work and it fuels a "just one more" mentality.

And against all odds IT IS GLITCH FREE. Like literally in 100 hours I had one audio glitch and one instance where I triggered a cutscene, a forced turn interrupt, a confusion effect and like reaction shots for at least 5 units where the game literally had to pause for 5 seconds but even then it pulled through the math and got through it. I remember playing Wolcen and that thing glitched out every other minute and had like a fraction of Troubleshooter's customization.

But yeah, this game is amazing. Despite using XCOM's basic gameplay structure I'd recommend it less for XCOm fans and more for straight up character building SRPG fans like Fire Emblem or FFT.

Oh man, this sounds amazing for sure. I guess I missed it in the OP, cause for some reason I was under the impression this was a somewhat simple game. Definitely checking this out soon.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had this on my wishlist for ages but was waiting for it to leave Early Access. Going to grab it later as I cant see it going much cheaper any time soon.

I wish xcom remained as grim and dark as you complain about it being. XCOM2 (specially WotC) are literally anime already.

Will check out this game later anyway.

A nice twofer where we see a literal ignorance of what both the words "anime" and "literally" mean.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Had this on my wishlist for ages but was waiting for it to leave Early Access. Going to grab it later as I cant see it going much cheaper any time soon.

A nice twofer where we see a literal ignorance of what both the words "anime" and "literally" mean.

may God have mercy on my sinful soul for lambasting the sanctity of the word anime like that

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

This right here reads like pornography. Whew.

I have to cop this now.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a few hours in and what it reminds me of most is actually Tactics Ogre (except, with XCOM combat). This pleases me greatly.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I looked it up and I actually already had it wishlisted. It looks good, but with the talk about build math, hours redoing specs, and hundreds of passives it sounds almost overwhelming. Like a game I'd spend more time reading about builds that don't suck than actually playing it.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
steamcommunity.com

Well damn, I've been eyeing this game for a long while now. Should have nabbed it before. Btw, the link says they'd be readjusting the price in 30 days and that was posted mid-May... so what gives?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I looked it up and I actually already had it wishlisted. It looks good, but with the talk about build math, hours redoing specs, and hundreds of passives it sounds almost overwhelming. Like a game I'd spend more time reading about builds that don't suck than actually playing it.
For what it's worth, they do seem to roll things out sensibly. The tutorial (which I think I'm still in) has you controlling one dude and fighting very straightforward battles, just getting a hang of the systems as it immerses you in the story.

While it's extremely systems-heavy even so early on, there's super informative tooltips for everything so it's never confusing. It's on the cusp of being overwhelming without passing it--you always have the info you need to make a decision.
Well damn, I've been eyeing this game for a long while now. Should have nabbed it before. Btw, the link says they'd be readjusting the price in 30 days and that was posted mid-May... so what gives?
Think it left Early Access around then. Having an introductory/EA price that's lower the final price is pretty common in Early Access development.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
The only reason that I haven't booted it up is because it seems like the developers are adding even more stuff.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
On one hand characters/tone looks better than your usual anime SRPG (maybe because it's Korean?), but on the other hand it seems to be quite long. Wish there was a demo.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
On the steam page it says "troubleshooter: abandoned children is the FIRST SEASON of an SRPG set in the world of troubleshooter"
What do they mean by "first season"? Is that not the full game?

OP
OP
Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
On the steam page it says "troubleshooter: abandoned children is the FIRST SEASON of an SRPG set in the world of troubleshooter"
What do they mean by "first season"? Is that not the full game?

It's the full game.

I read a dev reply somewhere that said they're considering doing a DLC to flesh out the story of a couple side characters before moving on to the game's sequel (or Season 2).

In it's current state the game is feature complete with over 100 hours of content.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
in. im not that into XCOM itself and clicked out of curiosity, but this sounds surprisingly great

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Picked it up.

The tutorial and system messages are very poorly translated but thankfully the actual story elements are good enough so far localization wise.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
2 hours into the game on my stream and this has been really fun so far!
It feels a lot like a visual novel right now but they do some kinda neat things with it

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
I might fuck around and get a gaming PC just so I can get more XCOM like goodness in my life.

We're starving console side while you PC brehs are feasting non-stop.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there are Mastery sets?! Holy cow this changes EVERYTHING.

The little tease telling you what slot the last one goes in is so good. The catch being that you need to stumble into three similar ones, making theming your masteries important. Because a mastery set--which is a bonus mastery--is... really good. Like counterattacks-never-miss-and-always-crit level of good.