B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Now this is starting to come off as overly privileged lol

For reference,that'd be a 50% raise, and I live in Northern NJ. Obviously I realize I'm in a privileged position where I don't need the money. I'd rather be happy at home than stuck in my car or commuting to NYC for hours a day.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I too have written off any company that won't let me work full remote.

now-old.gif

Excellent first post

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Yeah I'm a data scientist My skills are so in demand

Yeah they are. Even more in demand if you're good at your job.

I've noticed that there are a million bootcamps that promise to teach people the skills they need to get hired as a data scientist in like, a year. I know 2 people who did this and are making 6-figures now.

And still the demand, as you said, is high! It was already high before LLMs like ChatGPT exploded on the scene.

These are good times to be a data anything. engineer, analyst, scientist.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
For reference,that'd be a 50% raise, and I live in Northern NJ. Obviously I realize I'm in a privileged position where I don't need the money. I'd rather be happy at home than stuck in my car or commuting to NYC for hours a day.
I need the money and I wouldn't do it - while money is important it's not worth the physical and mental health cost, which is also likely to trigger a financial cost.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I like my current 1 day in office every 3-6 months. I would never want to go back to the office for more than 1 day a week max.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Having a remote work job has been very nice, but I'm supposed to be in the field most days, so it gets a little stressful if I can't schedule work orders and end up at home for a few days straight. But there is nothing better than realizing you have nowhere to be on a Monday and sleeping in as a result of that.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Hybrid was one of the best things to ever happen to me. I'm in R/D so I do have to be in some days for hands-on stuff, but other things I can do from home. I just had my biannual review this week and all of my goals were met or exceeded and I usually come in 3 days a week. If my in person work is done, I can even leave early, dodge the rush hour traffic, and finish up at home.

There's so many upsides to WFH for so many people (and the environment). Everything from emissions to safety to family care to more options for housing via being able to look outside of a commuting range. And for jobs where in person is actually needed, they can and should offer more compensation to the people filling those positions. And they just might have to.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, like some ppl said those that WFH before 2020 already knew the benefits of it.

I was dating a lady in 2019 that was WFH several days a week. She loved it, she spent time going to the museums. That was actually our first date, at an art museum.

I WFH 3 days a week, and while I miss Mon - Fri WFH, I can deal with 2 days in the office. Like yesterday, I get off at 5:30, the other 2 that were in there with me left by 4: 30.

Picking days I assumed others didnt want to come in was a smart move, lol. Not gonna lie, it does get creepy in there when I'm alone. Especially in the winter.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Working from home improved my mental health, allowed us to save enough money for a house deposit and allowed us to move 200 Miles to get a much bigger house than we could afford in our old location and have it paid off in around 5 years.

Without the enforced WFH due to Covid none of this would have been possible and we would be still stuck renting and my having to spend 2-3 hours a day traveling for work and getting angry about the crap you have to deal with on extremely busy public transport.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
One thing I found funny about WFH when I did was I had better internet than the office. It was easier for me to use my home internet, which is municipal fiber, to upload large files than if I went into the office. And I paid a fraction of what the office paid for business class coax internet.

I'm not WFH anymore as I got a new job last year, and it's like the only job possible that would get me to stop WFH. But in places that have muni-fiber, it might make more sense for employees to WFH as they have more reliable and faster internet than coax.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
As long as the commute is minimal I don't give a fuck about how often I go into the office or not. They pay me to do this shit, I don't do it because I like it.

But asking people to commute more than 30 minutes is going to be difficult if its on the regular. Why would anyone agree to that unless they were fairly compensated for it?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I found funny about WFH when I did was I had better internet than the office. It was easier for me to use my home internet, which is municipal fiber, to upload large files than if I went into the office. And I paid a fraction of what the office paid for business class coax internet.

I'm not WFH anymore as I got a new job last year, and it's like the only job possible that would get me to stop WFH. But in places that have muni-fiber, it might make more sense for employees to WFH as they have more reliable and faster internet than coax.
Me too, lol. And still to this day. It flip flops on which has better internet, but I was shocked at that.

And I work in a govt building.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
My company knows I work more from home than I would in the office.

When in the office people are always cutting out before 5 as if hitting the road 30 seconds sooner will help you avoid rush hour traffic.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they are. Even more in demand if you're good at your job.

I've noticed that there are a million bootcamps that promise to teach people the skills they need to get hired as a data scientist in like, a year. I know 2 people who did this and are making 6-figures now.

And still the demand, as you said, is high! It was already high before LLMs like ChatGPT exploded on the scene.

These are good times to be a data anything. engineer, analyst, scientist.

Just curious, what bootcamp did they use? Any recommendations? I've been considering this cause I've been stuck in Desktop Support work for too long.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Good!

I welcome my office days. But that's only because they are twice a month (and I sometimes skip one of those) and I actually like my team

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like this needs to be part of the discussion as the world tackles climate change. I'm honestly not sure how the power usage shakes out from a home vs office standpoint (I've heard power/HVAC solutions in office buildings are more efficient than cooling individual houses). From a commute standpoint though, less cars on the road has to be a big win for so many reasons. As a healthcare worker, I'm doomed to work in the "office" until the end of time but it's nice for those of us that have to work on site to have less traffic during rush hour due to office workers commuting.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have 1 office day/wo starting in September. Honestly I question the reasoning as I think it goes counter to the company's supposedly philosophy but it is what it is. It's an hour and half away so if they decide later it'll be two days a week I may start looking.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My company knows I work more from home than I would in the office.

When in the office people are always cutting out before 5 as if hitting the road 30 seconds sooner will help you avoid rush hour traffic.
this is what boggles my mind.

I was way more productive at home, and my work knows that.
At work you have people distracting you, watercooler moments, just the flow in general is all over the place.

It's just a control thing.

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
this is what boggles my mind.

I was way more productive at home, and my work knows that.
At work you have people distracting you, watercooler moments, just the flow in general is all over the place.

It's just a control thing.
Yeah there is a greater chance I'll eat lunch at my desk and work right on through my lunch hour. Or stay working a half hour extra just cause I'm comfortable

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Just curious, what bootcamp did they use? Any recommendations? I've been considering this cause I've been stuck in Desktop Support work for too long.

I think they used General Assembly and flatiron but I may be wrong.

I would suggest enrolling in this free Data science MIT program to see if you enjoy it: https://openlearning.mit.edu/course...eer or fast,upgrade to the MicroMasters track.

I think many of the bootcamps let you enroll for cheap or free in exchange for a portion of your future salary or something. Becareful of any small print tho :)

If IT is more your speed, there are bootcamps for those too but mostly i would focus on getting an AWS or Azure certificate for almost free. You can pay monthly for acloudguru , that's how I prepared for my cert. it's only $23/month for everything u need.

I don't know how you learn, but I would recommend consistency. 2 to 4h a day, 5 days a week. That way you never forget what you just did (which can be an issue if you try to just learn on weekends).

LMK if you have further questions. Happy to help.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah there is a greater chance I'll eat lunch at my desk and work right on through my lunch hour. Or stay working a half hour extra just cause I'm comfortable
Yep, also when I worked in an office, if it was like 4pm and something comes up, I'd usually push it back to the next day because I didn't want stay after 5pm and get home late, get stuck in traffic, etc. Working from home, my mentality is "oh let me get this done so I don't have to think about it tomorrow" because if I'm working a few minutes after 5pm it's no big deal.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The market has spoken. Death of the office.

yep

Plenty of companies actively chose hotdesking before the pandemic because it suited them to lower the cost per employee by leasing office space smaller than the number of employees they have. In return they graciously introduced flexible working - when the real reason was to cut costs.

Those same companies are very happy to continue pandemic approaches like full wfh or heavy hybrid.

Its only the people owning the real estate that give a fuck.

And fuck off with the 'but but restaurants and cafes'. Maybe people will eat in their local areas - those same areas we see so many stores closing down due to lack of foot trade. Maybe we'll see a revitalisation of local neighbourhoods. And less cars on the road. and better air quality and fewer injuries because of that.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Are people really getting these raises offer to go back in office? I only got 5k more. Fuck me

I don't think you'll ever get an offer of like 20% from the same company. Companies always value/pay for new employees and have a strict budget on retention of existing employees, so I imagine the scenario is they could get an offer of more money from another company but it's not WFH.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
If you know you're worth your value on the market why the hell would you go for in-office over remote.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
yep

Plenty of companies actively chose hotdesking before the pandemic because it suited them to lower the cost per employee by leasing office space smaller than the number of employees they have. In return they graciously introduced flexible working - when the real reason was to cut costs.

Those same companies are very happy to continue pandemic approaches like full wfh or heavy hybrid.

Its only the people owning the real estate that give a fuck.

And fuck off with the 'but but restaurants and cafes'. Maybe people will eat in their local areas - those same areas we see so many stores closing down due to lack of foot trade. Maybe we'll see a revitalisation of local neighbourhoods. And less cars on the road. and better air quality and fewer injuries because of that.

I was looking at the replies to this post on IG

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu8AAIDsGVH/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

And there are a number of people who are under the impression that increasing the number of apartments & condos (vs commercial real estate) in the city will increase traffic? No, the opposite, more people will be able to walk/bike to work & school. People will live next to these cafes instead of commuting to them. Crazy idea.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
How bout the best of both worlds:

Leadership wants you IN the office
Employees want to be OUT of the office

Combine the two and you get:

A shorter work week (example: anything less than a full fucking 5 days: 4 days on, 3 days off. Same 8 hours. Same pay)

This way everyone gets what they want. Not having to commute 5 days a week. Leadership has a reason to exist. We all know this is the real reason why it doesnt just happen, right?

The 5 day work week feels like it is KILLING me.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

And there are a number of people who are under the impression that increasing the number of apartments & condos (vs commercial real estate) in the city will increase traffic? No, the opposite, more people will be able to walk/bike to work & school. People will live next to these cafes instead of commuting to them. Crazy idea.

it'd help a fuck load with high rental prices (with rent control support) and housing prices where we need more places to live to keep prices manageable. Win-win?

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
How bout the best of both worlds:

Leadership wants you IN the office
Employees want to be OUT of the office

Combine the two and you get:

A shorter work week (example: anything less than a full fucking 5 days: 4 days on, 3 days off. Same 8 hours. Same pay)

This way everyone gets what they want. Not having to commute 5 days a week. Leadership has a reason to exist. We all know this is the real reason why it doesnt just happen, right?

The 5 day work week feels like it is KILLING me.
It's a shame the only time I ever see shorter work weeks suggested it's floated as "4/10s" which sounds even more nightmareish than 5/8s

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Being able to work at home is enabling me to be a productive member of the team during a mental health crisis...

I mean the benefits are obvious

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame the only time I ever see shorter work weeks suggested it's floated as "4/10s" which sounds even more nightmareish than 5/8s
It's because people are conditioned to think they must give up something to gain something. When it's really just an unnecessary compromise. Typical capitalist American work culture. When we can probably achieve more with better rested employees with less hours overall (32 hours a week).

I'm seriously burnt out with the 5/8 work weeks. Like no job or pay can get me to change my mind with this. It feels like it's killing me. I feel like I can't do this much longer.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the office and fuck companies forcing their employees to do it when it's unnecessary.
It's because people are conditioned to think they must give up something to gain something. When it's really just an unnecessary compromise. Typical capitalist American work culture. When we can probably achieve more with better rested employees with less hours overall (32 hours a week).

I'm seriously burnt out with the 5/8 work weeks. Like no job or pay can get me to change my mind with this. It feels like it's killing me. I feel like I can't do this much longer.
My feelings exactly.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
It would have to be quite the amount of money for me to go back into an office. My mental health and QoL have improved far too much.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird now that I'm on the other side of it. Culture is so important. It just doesn't work that well with a full-remote workforce. It's easy for me to say, living 400 yards from my office. We give office folk the ability to work from home if they need to occasionally, but some of them don't know that they need to turn their screen off or else I can see that they're clearly not working. That said, I don't care if you aren't working the whole time if the job's getting done.

How does them having their screen on give you the ability to see if they are working or not?
You can see what's happening on their desktop at all times? If that's the case, wouldn't turning it off be just as suspicious?

Nov 3, 2022

What a fantastic idea!
It's like a total reversal of those incentives they were slinging around to get companies to move to the seaport years ago.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I already look at the concept of grooming meticulously and putting on a tailored suit and commuting to an office building like 1700s politicians and their ridiculous wigs.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I literally went into banking from food with the hope that I'll be able to move up and work remotely in a couple years.

Sure I'm literally a bank teller, but eventually I'll get some of that sweet, sweet remote work.

You should look for positions on the IT side. I work for a company that does software for banks and we are almost 100% remote.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
You should look for positions on the IT side. I work for a company that does software for banks and we are almost 100% remote.
Oh no, no no no. I actually love the customer facing aspect of my job, something I'd never thought possible to say. I'm hoping to be an MLO in the future and possibly even president of the bank one day.

Plus my cousin works in the IT department, meaning I can't.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
Was told today by my supervisor that it is expected my team will be directed to going back to fully in-office soon.

I work in IT, and am able to perform my job duties 100% remotely, literally. Told him that if/when that directive comes, I will quit.

We'll see how things go I guess.