Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
This game looks obscenely good, and me and my Tactics people are gonna eat. Call me crazy, too, but at 2:34 I got some vibes from this classic stage:
latest

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
They really need a better name though
Yet an improvement from "Project Triangle Strategy" lol. But yeah, I don't get it at all. It's not like these games are prototypes when Squeenix shows them to the public! They're going to get made. And once you show these games with a stupid "temporary" name, you're stuck, because that becomes what people identify the game as. Just think of a real name.

OP
OP

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Ehh. I'm used to it by now. I mean Dungeon Encounters isn't a great name either.

Complaining about Square Enix name games is like complaining about water being wet.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How was the gameplay in the demo? I'm hoping the actual tactics are tough & balanced

There's three battles in the demo: one to start, and then there's a story branch, each branch containing a battle.

The starting battle wasn't particularly tough, but each of the battles after the branch were reasonably challenging, with good level design.

We also know there's going to be Easy/Normal/Hard difficulty modes in the final game.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like it should a be movie from the Gods Not Dead people. They really need a new name.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
If the rumors are true, i wonder if this is how the FFT and Tactics Ogre remasters will look like.

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
Pumped. Loved the demo and read they've addressed the issues based on player feedback. Looking forward to challenging battles.

Oct 27, 2017
Ehh. I'm used to it by now. I mean Dungeon Encounters isn't a great name either.

Complaining about Square Enix name games is like complaining about water being wet.
Yeah, but that's a super low budget game. And I'd still argue even nonsensical SE names are better than something that's still sounds like a plain internal code name

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's some reverse psychology thing where they're trying to get us to be more accepting of terrible names

First Octopath Traveler, then Triangle Strategy, then the world...

I thought Octopath Traveler was a good name, all things considered. It was memorable and accurately descriptive of what the game was.

Triangle Strategy is just indefensibly generic and unmemorable — things a title doesn't want to be. "Triangle" is a largely irrelevant descriptor to the game so far, and they even missed the low hanging alliteration in Triangle Tactics.

That said, I wish every thread about Triangle Strategy didn't inevitably become mired in its shitty naming.

Tailesque

Sep 28, 2021
Chicago
I'm definitely in the minority, but I like the title for many of the same reasons I like Octopath Traveler. It's a straightforward, unabashed declaration of the game's core design philosophy.

I totally understand why that would feel lame to most people though. It's uniquely transparent but pretty lacking in personality beyond that. Really comes across as an internal design doc name.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I hope they include the Japanese voice acting at launch. That made a big difference in my enjoyment of Octopath Traveler.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the names attached to write this game, there are a lot of unknown people (at least to me, and I am struggling to find out much about them). However, the people who ARE known quantities have worked on quality titles. So yeah, I am cautiously optimistic here. Also, Triangle Strategy does not appear to share any writers with Octopath Traveler (take that how you will).

I'll be there day one. I hope it is able to deliver something quality.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This game looks fantastic, I love this artstyle so much

I don't mind these goofy names, they're memorable, at least

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I love these tactical games, but that's a very odd marketing buzzword/term.
I don't think it works to sell the style
It is a weird buzzword isn't it, and really doesn't even make sense. But I'd argue it's thoroughly stuck now, and you've a vocal group of JRPG fans clamouring for more use of it; the style has become synonymous with the name.

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I feel like this game is in a weird spot where it's sort of explicitly styling itself narratively as inspired by tactics ogre and Idk if that will invite praise if it doesn't live up to TO's extremely strong worldbuilding, narrative and characters.

That said, if it's even half as good, that's good enough tbh.