• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think I'll tie the decision which version I'll buy to whether the diagonal movement gets a fix on Switch or not, so it's probably no day 1 buy from me.

If it doesn't in the following months, I'm gonna get the PS4 copy instead.
I'd like to play it on a handheld first and foremost, but the feeling of the game is really important and the PS4 has the benefit of better visuals and performance as well, so it has quite a few arguments on its side already. No Switch fix definitely would be the tipping point for me.

Good game/demo overall, though. Aesthetics, music, battle system, checks all of these boxes easily. The voice acting is entertainingly bad sometimes, but I like it.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll tie the decision which version I'll buy to whether the diagonal movement gets a fix on Switch or not, so it's probably no day 1 buy from me.

It would be worth checking if the issue is an issue from the Switch build, or an issue with the deadzone of the analog. Is it a joycon ? A pro controller ?

Can someone that has both can give it a shot on Switch ?

On PC the issue isn't there either so it's strange that it made it into the Switch.

I didn't play the original so please no spoilers; there's two sides of the story? If I don't have the good trio, what will I miss?

You miss out on some character interactions, and more "fulfilling" resolutions to their stories.

But beyond dialogues being different, what you're missing out is the final act being different. There are 3 arcs divided into 3 duos.

Each of these duos have a different "main villain".

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently playing through the collection of mana and I'm about halfway through trials (snes) version. It's a really great game. Can't wait to finish it up and try out the remake.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Lots of guides on GameFAQs. Just keep in mind that SD3 has lots of bugs hence why some party comps work well, why some don't or why Duran doesn't equip some stuff. For example, critical hits don't work and the elemental absorption properites of Duran's shields don't work either.
You only mean the original right? Or are the same bugs present in the remake?

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Yeah, the original. And no, no bugs in th remake as far as I can tell.
Mkay do we think a lot will change with the addition of new classes or the synergies will mostly be the same as the original? I'm just wanting to brainstorm who I want my team to be and such like I do with like FF12 and the classes there and the like.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a guide somewhere to team synergies? I'm really wanting to break it all down and try to find my ideal party with Hawkeye as the center.

Honestly, most of my knowledge has been through replaying the game with my brother and sisters and looking at various FAQs over they years. Also while I do know a decent amount of the old game, things are probably going to be expanded upon and rebalanced in the remake. Though I'm willing to bet the flavors of each of the class changes are going to be similar. If you don't want to go through GameFAQs for the old game or something maybe I could help? Hawkeye is going to have 4 unique classes for the endgame (minus the new final light and dark classes they are adding. I'm assuming no one knows about them and what they are capable of). If you are planning on making Hawkeye front and center, here are his class's flavors:

(Light/Light) Wanderer: A support class of sorts with unique spells that no other class in the game really has. Expect to see spells that steal MP, lower the enemies' max HP, restore your or allies tech gauge, and repel magic. Very versatile and self sustaining.

(Light/Dark) Rogue: Drops the versatility and is all about offensive magic traps and projectiles. Expect to see throwing axes, light based darts, rocket launchers (!), pumpkin bombs, ect. Pick this one if you want Hawkeye to be more of a mage of sorts. I love this class haha.

(Dark/Light) Ninja Master: This one is all about stat debuffs. It's limited in a variety of spells, but the spells it does have hits multiple targets. Hit all enemies with jitsu and and shurikens to lower their statistics such as speed, power, magic defense ect. If a classic ninja feel is what you are all about, this might be your deal.

(Dark/Dark) Nightblade: Has the same spells as ninja, but they are all single target. However, they get additional spells that put on additional debuffs like blowing needles at an opponent to silence them. Probably the most physically powerful out of Hawkeye's classes. Pick if assassins are your deal.

After you pick one of those, if you want kinda tell me what kind of feel you want for your party. Maybe you want the classic tank, healer, and damage triad. Maybe you like to run magic only. You give me that and I can give you some potential options. I would say try not to stress about it too much and just pick what sounds fun.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
It would be worth checking if the issue is an issue from the Switch build, or an issue with the deadzone of the analog. Is it a joycon ? A pro controller ?

Can someone that has both can give it a shot on Switch ?

On PC the issue isn't there either so it's strange that it made it into the Switch.
Lasdrub posted these videos
www.resetera.com

Trials of Mana Demo Impressions Thread

I made a couple of videos demonstrating the angular movement slowing that happens on Switch. I captured both of these on my Switch Lite. It almost looks like I’m letting up on the stick when I turn, but I kept the stick locked to the perimeter I started the demo over on my Switch Lite, and...
and I think the movement issue is rather apparent, so I think it's an issue of the Switch build and might also be related to the framerate somehow.

I've tested it both docked and undocked with Joy-Cons and a Pro Controller, but the issue persists throughout all of those scenarios.
It is not present in the PS4 demo I also played.

I only find it curious that there aren't even more Switch folks noticing or at least talking about this. I'm either extremely sensitive to this (usually I'm not and can take quite a bit of janky or unpolished games) or it's somehow only an issue for a few people (which seems even more unlikely imo).

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Honestly, most of my knowledge has been through replaying the game with my brother and sisters and looking at various FAQs over they years. Also while I do know a decent amount of the old game, things are probably going to be expanded upon and rebalanced in the remake. Though I'm willing to bet the flavors of each of the class changes are going to be similar. If you don't want to go through GameFAQs for the old game or something maybe I could help? Hawkeye is going to have 4 unique classes for the endgame (minus the new final light and dark classes they are adding. I'm assuming no one knows about them and what they are capable of). If you are planning on making Hawkeye front and center, here are his class's flavors:

(Light/Light) Wanderer: A support class of sorts with unique spells that no other class in the game really has. Expect to see spells that steal MP, lower the enemies' max HP, restore your or allies tech gauge, and repel magic. Very versatile and self sustaining.

(Light/Dark) Rogue: Drops the versatility and is all about offensive magic traps and projectiles. Expect to see throwing axes, light based darts, rocket launchers (!), pumpkin bombs, ect. Pick this one if you want Hawkeye to be more of a mage of sorts. I love this class haha.

(Dark/Light) Ninja Master: This one is all about stat debuffs. It's limited in a variety of spells, but the spells it does have hits multiple targets. Hit all enemies with jitsu and and shurikens to lower their statistics such as speed, power, magic defense ect. If a classic ninja feel is what you are all about, this might be your deal.

(Dark/Dark) Nightblade: Has the same spells as ninja, but they are all single target. However, they get additional spells that put on additional debuffs like blowing needles at an opponent to silence them. Probably the most physically powerful out of Hawkeye's classes. Pick if assassins are your deal.

After you pick one of those, if you want kinda tell me what kind of feel you want for your party. Maybe you want the classic tank, healer, and damage triad. Maybe you like to run magic only. You give me that and I can give you some potential options. I would say try not to stress about it too much and just pick what sounds fun.
Thanks for the break down. I'm probably going to want to go Ninja or Nightblade, because I'm a weeb like that.

Nightblade sounds like it's the best boss killer for single targets by your breakdown, as Ninja Master seems to be aoe focused, and I think someone like Angela or something can fill in AOE if needed depending on what else is available.

I want to min max his dps so Nightblade sounds like what I want to go with. I plan on maining/mostly using him throughout my game.

The first party I was going to test in the demo was Hawk, Reisz and Angela, as I heard Reisz and Hawk have some good synergies but haven't done enough testing yet to see or exploration as to who would fit.

I don't really want to use Charlotte, not only because of the Oils you can get for heals but because I think she's annoying personally. Ideal makeups would be Hawk/Reisz/???? but I'm not sure yet. Duran seems like a good AOE/physical attacker but I don't know how necessary beefy/tank characters are in the game, but it seems like getting in behind enemies with Hawk provides more Crits so I dunno.

Hawk/Reisz/Angela seems almost too squishy to throw at bosses without a lot of item healing though.

EDIT: Missed your concept of party question. I'm not quite sure what potentials there are, but I'm not really stuck on having specific triads or anything. It'd be cool if I could find a good grouping for Hawk and Reisz but not sure if it'll work.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Riesz's opening so far. The game looks nice and the combat seems alright, but man, I am not impressed by how small each level "cells" (or sections) are. For instance, the training courtyard is in a different cell than the outside second floor balcony. So when the player goes on the balcony that oversees the courtyard, you can't see any of the NPCs. It's weird, like we're playing a PS2 game that happens to have detailed models and textures. You'd think with Unreal 4, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Riesz's opening so far. The game looks nice and the combat seems alright, but man, I am not impressed by how small each level "cells" (or sections) are. For instance, the training courtyard is in a different cell than the outside second floor balcony. So when the player goes on the balcony that oversees the courtyard, you can't see any of the NPCs. It's weird, like we're playing a PS2 game that happens to have detailed models and textures. You'd think with Unreal 4, that wouldn't have been a problem.

I have a lot of gripes with the prologues myself but I think you ll enjoy what they have done with the more open areas and the cave.

Does the PS4 version run at 60 FPS?

Yes.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I'm 2 and a half hours in and I really dig this. Feels a lot like a budget PS2 RPG like Dark Cloud or even Kingdom Hearts 1, but I miss those very much and I'm all for this

That's just what I was thinking. Reminds me a lot of games like Dark Chronicle. Action RPGs like this are so rare nowadays, like I think only Ys is carrying the torch... and now Mana if this game does well

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding difficulty, I wouldn't be surprised if you can unlock more (there is a new game+) or they patch one (they have patched harder modes in almost all their games).

And go for the remake if you have the extra money of course.

Seiken 3 needs to be seen on CRT or high quality emulation of CRT.

Also the original had a lot of glitches that prevented the game from reaching its full potential. That's why a lot of us are excited for this because we get to customize our party's builds, abilities, and classes and they're all going to work !

I didn't know about the glitches. It kinda stinks that the glitches made certain builds less viable. I might end up getting both, but for now, I think I'll wait for Collection to drop down to $15 again and then see if I want the remade version to experience more of the game. I always played Secret of Mana with a friend, so multiplayer is pretty important to me. Waiting will also give the remade version time to drop in price.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the break down. I'm probably going to want to go Ninja or Nightblade, because I'm a weeb like that.

Nightblade sounds like it's the best boss killer for single targets by your breakdown, as Ninja Master seems to be aoe focused, and I think someone like Angela or something can fill in AOE if needed depending on what else is available.

I want to min max his dps so Nightblade sounds like what I want to go with. I plan on maining/mostly using him throughout my game.

The first party I was going to test in the demo was Hawk, Reisz and Angela, as I heard Reisz and Hawk have some good synergies but haven't done enough testing yet to see or exploration as to who would fit.

I don't really want to use Charlotte, not only because of the Oils you can get for heals but because I think she's annoying personally. Ideal makeups would be Hawk/Reisz/???? but I'm not sure yet. Duran seems like a good AOE/physical attacker but I don't know how necessary beefy/tank characters are in the game, but it seems like getting in behind enemies with Hawk provides more Crits so I dunno.

Hawk/Reisz/Angela seems almost too squishy to throw at bosses without a lot of item healing though.

EDIT: Missed your concept of party question. I'm not quite sure what potentials there are, but I'm not really stuck on having specific triads or anything. It'd be cool if I could find a good grouping for Hawk and Reisz but not sure if it'll work.

If you can't stand Charlotte but want a healer, no problem! If you want Duran, his Light/Light form provides single target heals and his Light/Dark form provides multi target heals. Kevin similarly provides single target healing in Light/Light and multitarget in Light/Dark.

Also less indirect than straight heals if you take Duran down his Dark/Light path, the Swordmaster, you get sabers which are unique attack buffs that you can hand out to other characters, specifically a move called moon saber which allows an attacking ally to steal HP on hit! You can also buff Hawkeye's attacks with elemental sabers to do elemental damage for more pain.

Reisz will fit in with Hawkeye as a Nightblade better in her Light forms which provide stat ups. Her Light/Light form provides single target stat ups while her Light/Dark form provides multitarget stat ups. Make your whole party tougher with power up and more tanky with protect up. This could be cool as your Nightblade would be widening the gap further with enemy stat downs.

If you want all the focus to go into Hawkeye's damage and don't mind a more unorthodox but effective party, Duran as a Swordmaster+Reisz light forms could be a fun combination!

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
game itself runs smooth as fuck at 120fps, but movement feels a bit weird and stuttery. also no 21:9 resolution support in yet, which is disappointing because trials on pc supports it. i hope that this is only missing in the demo because they did not have time to implement it yet ...

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about the glitches. It kinda stinks that the glitches made certain builds less viable. I might end up getting both, but for now, I think I'll wait for Collection to drop down to $15 again and then see if I want the remade version to experience more of the game. I always played Secret of Mana with a friend, so multiplayer is pretty important to me. Waiting will also give the remade version time to drop in price.

The original is still a great game tho

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Is it even possible to die? They give so much candy. Plus a plant gave me an attack item that deals 350HP which seems to be huge for the beginning of the game.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Wait which are the "canon" duos or trios then?
Not sure what you mean by "canon" but Angela/Duran, Riez/Hawkeye and Charlotte/Kevin share the same final bosses and storylines if that's what you're asking. So if one of those is your main character it's probably good to include the other for some extra dialogue scenes.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
After playing through both the Switch and PS4 demos I'll be going with it on PS4. Even though the game seems easy enough it just feels better at 60 FPS, and I'm not usually one to notice these things. It also bugged me with the Ys 8 port on Switch.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If you can't stand Charlotte but want a healer, no problem! If you want Duran, his Light/Light form provides single target heals and his Light/Dark form provides multi target heals. Kevin similarly provides single target healing in Light/Light and multitarget in Light/Dark.

Also less indirect than straight heals if you take Duran down his Dark/Light path, the Swordmaster, you get sabers which are unique attack buffs that you can hand out to other characters, specifically a move called moon saber which allows an attacking ally to steal HP on hit! You can also buff Hawkeye's attacks with elemental sabers to do elemental damage for more pain.

Reisz will fit in with Hawkeye as a Nightblade better in her Light forms which provide stat ups. Her Light/Light form provides single target stat ups while her Light/Dark form provides multitarget stat ups. Make your whole party tougher with power up and more tanky with protect up. This could be cool as your Nightblade would be widening the gap further with enemy stat downs.

If you want all the focus to go into Hawkeye's damage and don't mind a more unorthodox but effective party, Duran as a Swordmaster+Reisz light forms could be a fun combination!
So Angela doesn't have much utility by the sound of it then? She's mainly a nuker who would want to base a party around her?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
So I don't have a means of capturing the footage, but I moved my Switch to my living room setup: 4K TV with an mClassic in my dock and it helps sharpen the image really nicely. Idk if anyone else has it here but just thought I'd share.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
So Angela doesn't have much utility by the sound of it then? She's mainly a nuker who would want to base a party around her?

Indeed, Angela fulfills pretty much the same role no matter what classes you give her. She nukes stuff and depending on which class you turn her into she'll either get a stronger light spell and a powerful omni-nuke, a stronger dark spell and an even more powerful omni-nuke or a handful of strong elemental spells that inflict status on enemies plus a spell that smacks any enemy whose level is lower than you for maximum damage.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017

Hmmm. I would say it's not quite building a party around her, and more like she is a straight forward damage dealer. Pretty much all her classes are a variation on blowing stuff up with magic. The main differences are stat distributions and power/MP cost ratios. The only real class difference from what I remember is her Dark/Light class has status effects like petrification mixed in with some of her damaging spells. I will throw the caveat with Angela and me is she is the character I've played the least but I think this is pretty accurate. If you are looking for some cool synergy between characters I feel like she doesn't offer much. But if you want magic and you want damage, she will bring it to the table.

One reason I never played Angela much is while she does do great damage, magic is so slow in the original game (time pauses and you have to wait for the spell animation to finish during every spell). Often I try to avoid pure magic characters with a couple exceptions. However, this looks like it will be a non-issue in the remake. Spells do not pause the game.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Indeed, Angela fulfills pretty much the same role no matter what classes you give her. She nukes stuff and depending on which class you turn her into she'll either get a stronger light spell and a powerful omni-nuke, a stronger dark spell and an even more powerful omni-nuke or a handful of strong elemental spells that inflict status on enemies plus a spell that smacks any enemy whose level is lower than you for maximum damage.
It would be interesting to try and see if I can make her work with Hawk and Lyse then for maximum Damage, sort of a magical parallel to a Duran+Kevin team. I'll see what I can find out then.

Hmmm. I would say it's not quite building a party around her, and more like she is a straight forward damage dealer. Pretty much all her classes are a variation on blowing stuff up with magic. The main differences are stat distributions and power/MP cost ratios. The only real class difference from what I remember is her Dark/Light class has status effects like petrification mixed in with some of her damaging spells. I will throw the caveat with Angela and me is she is the character I've played the least but I think this is pretty accurate. If you are looking for some cool synergy between characters I feel like she doesn't offer much. But if you want magic and you want damage, she will bring it to the table.

One reason I never played Angela much is while she does do great damage, magic is so slow in the original game (time pauses and you have to wait for the spell animation to finish during every spell). Often I try to avoid pure magic characters with a couple exceptions. However, this looks like it will be a non-issue in the remake. Spells do not pause the game.
Mkay I just felt like I should ask because the first idea I had was a Reisz/Angela + Hawkeye combo for maximum damage but it looks like Kevin and the like do more raw damage than Hawk does. So it's interesting to look at. I may be reading it all wrong but it'll be fun to experiment with.

The sad thing is a bunch of threads I've looked at don't even like to use Hawkeye it looks like haha. But I'm gonna make him work regardless.

I'll test a few of the ideas I've cooked up reading Gamefaqs.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting to try and see if I can make her work with Hawk and Lyse then for maximum Damage, sort of a magical parallel to a Duran+Kevin team. I'll see what I can find out then.

Mkay I just felt like I should ask because the first idea I had was a Reisz/Angela + Hawkeye combo for maximum damage but it looks like Kevin and the like do more raw damage than Hawk does. So it's interesting to look at. I may be reading it all wrong but it'll be fun to experiment with.

The sad thing is a bunch of threads I've looked at don't even like to use Hawkeye it looks like haha. But I'm gonna make him work regardless.

I'll test a few of the ideas I've cooked up reading Gamefaqs.

That's a shame. Hawkeye is plenty fun and his classes feel so different that he is a joy to play on repeats. They are right though for damage. In terms of raw physical damage, Duran's Duelist and Kevin's Fatal Hand are the kings for different reasons (if a bit one note, those classes are just about cracking skulls and nothing else. That doesn't stop me from loving them though). However, Hawkeye is no slouch and I don't think anyone would really raise an eyebrow at you focusing on him to be your main physical damage dealer. In exchange for a bit of a drop damage wise, you gain a solid amount of utility. If you ask me, Hawkeye's classes fit into almost any group and pretty much guarantee a good time.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
That's a shame. Hawkeye is plenty fun and his classes feel so different that he is a joy to play on repeats. They are right though for damage. In terms of raw physical damage, Duran's Duelist and Kevin's Fatal Hand are the kings for different reasons (if a bit one note, those classes are just about cracking skulls and nothing else. That doesn't stop me from loving them though). However, Hawkeye is no slouch and I don't think anyone would really raise an eyebrow at you focusing on him to be your main physical damage dealer. In exchange for a bit of a drop damage wise, you gain a solid amount of utility. If you ask me, Hawkeye's classes fit into almost any group and pretty much guarantee a good time.
Yeah I'm dead set on using him as I love my rogues/ninja characters, and his utility in Ninja Master and Nightblade sound fun either way.

Seems that unless you're the player controlling Angela she was finnicky in the original and not using proper spells or something from the stuff I keep reading, so I might try Hawk/Reisz/Kevin at first and see how that turns out, as Kevin i believe can heal as well. Duran and Charlotte are both really vanilla to me and I want to be "weird" with my choices lol.

Last edited:

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm dead set on using him as I love my rogues/ninja characters, and his utility in Ninja Master and Nightblade sound fun either way.

Seems that unless you're the player controlling Angela she was finnicky in the original and not using proper spells or something from the stuff I keep reading, so I might try Hawk/Reisz/Kevin at first and see how that turns out, as Kevin i believe can heal as well. Duran and Charlotte are both really vanilla to me and I want to be "weird" with my choices lol.

Sounds good to me. Kevin offers some form of healing in all his forms except for Kevin's Dark/Light Fatal Hand form. Light/Light offers single target healing and tech meter boosts through aura wave, Light/Dark offers multi target heals and a MP steal saber, Dark/Dark offers indirect healing through moon saber which allows the person who gets the buff to steal life through attacks.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Sounds good to me. Kevin offers some form of healing in all his forms except for Kevin's Dark/Light Fatal Hand form. Light/Light offers single target healing and tech meter boosts through aura wave, Light/Dark offers multi target heals and a MP steal saber, Dark/Dark offers indirect healing through moon saber which allows the person who gets the buff to steal life through attacks.
It sounds like based on the builds I've seen and such, Warrior Monk Kevin/Nightblade Hawk/Star Lancer Reisz will be my best first outing.

Raise our stats, lower enemy stats, Be able to heal and use Leaf Saber. It's at least sounding like a safe first party to go with at least.

Oct 28, 2019
What's the verdict on the Switch version? Do the visuals and framerate hold up?

Switch version Handheld mode screenshots:

2020031812081300-f6937zj7j.jpg

2020031812182200-f6938rjcv.jpg

2020031812432400-f693epkg3.jpg

2020031812562200-f693x3ksu.jpg

2020031813400900-f69362kjc.jpg

Looks great visually. Obvious drawbacks: Lower resolution, lower framerate, and more noticeable pop-in. Give the demo a try if you can, I didn't mind any of the drawbacks but some in this thread did.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I played for 3 hours, the graphics are extremely bad for me, makes the world look weird and bland, i prefer the 2D over this, DQ11 is leagues above this.