OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Probably been asked a dozen times before, but I'm about to start a IE campaign properly tomorrow and I can't decide what race to play. I've opened the game twice this week and then quit again because I have analysis paralysis.

I'm not new to the franchise, having played lots of Total War games and both the previous Warhammer entries. I played almost every race in TWW1, but dwarves were my favorite. Played only Skaven and Tomb Kings in TWW2, but didn't love either. I haven't played TWW3 at all yet as I was waiting for Immortal Empires, so I don't know any of the factions. I'm looking for something that isn't bogged down by complex mechanics, but also isn't completely vanilla and boring.

Any suggestions for a first campaign? Higher difficulty isn't the end of the world, as I was pretty good at tactical battles in both previous games. Just as long as I don't get steamrolled 20 turns in. :P
If you have the new chaos DLC go WoC.

If not you should go Lizardmen because they are the best race

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I think I'll start with Cathay based on what Burt said about them and once that campaign is finished I'll look into it the chaos races for a second run. If Cathay plays similarly to the dwarves I'll probably have a lot of fun without starting yet another Dwarf campaign. :P

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Had to look up what the Laboratory was to bring back my disappointment anew.

pls have more interesting leaks, CA

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You guys probably saw it already but there was a leak on billibilli:

Seems to be related to the Laboratory Mode according to the poster.
I think I've used that mode once in WH2 and then never thought about it again, lol.
Probably another Marketing partnership thing with Intel.

Despitre the marketing with intel my next PC will have Ryzen. I don't want to have the E-cores giving my old games an headache

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Despitre the marketing with intel my next PC will have Ryzen. I don't want to have the E-cores giving my old games an headache
Just upgraded to a 5800x3d from a 1600AF and it runs Warhammer 3 flawlessly, even Immortal Empires late-game. Definitely recommend it if you can afford it.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Just upgraded to a 5800x3d from a 1600AF and it runs Warhammer 3 flawlessly, even Immortal Empires late-game. Definitely recommend it if you can afford it.
I am thinking of buying a new Pc this year. I will probably go with the newer CPU has they have newer tech like ddr5 ram and the pcie 5.0 which looks like it could be a cool feature for SSD.

While money isn't an issue, Nvidia GPU prices are so "horrible" that I am very tempted to wait for AMD before buying.
I can afford 2000 euro for a GPU but holy Molly is it a shit ton of money for a toy that is outdated in a year or 2.

My current PC is. 6700k and a 1070 which run Warhammer 3 rather poorly.

All this said I am still waiting for benchmarks on new CPU and GPU. I'll probably tray to get a combo that can run wh3 ultra near 60fps or thereabouts ; with a bit of heavier focus on CPU so that paradox games can run better.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Hotfix for today, for Intel 'Raptor Lake' CPUs performance problems
www.totalwar.com

Total War: WARHAMMER III - Update 2.1.0

Update 2.1 brings additional improvements to the massive 2.0 update, as well as tweaks based on your early feedback!
the end turn bug fix is in the next big patch on October 18

UP NEXT: UPDATE 2.2

Update 2.2 is currently targeting October 18 as its release date! This major update includes a wide variety of changes and fixes to several outstanding issues impacting players—in addition to new features based on ongoing player feedback—as you all dive into Total War: WARHAMMER III and Immortal Empires:

• End Turn Crash Fix: Coming soon.
  • Settlement Battles: Numerous adjustments are being made to the number of Settlement Battles encountered throughout a campaign. More details in the full notes next month!
  • AI Improvements: Several adjustments are being made to the AI based on player feedback: they'll be generally more aggressive, will scale better with their difficulty setting, should employ smarter tactics in Battle, and will (overall) be better allies and vassals, as well.
  • Split Ranked Queue: Choose between Land and Domination Battles!
  • New Endgame Crisis: Yes-yes…
  • Regiments of Renown III: Our third Regiments of Renown pack is on the way!

Much more is on the way, so watch for the full release notes coming your way on October 18.

also some feedback confirmed in

UPDATE 2.2

While we're still sorting through all the feedback received thus far, we already have a hefty handful of notes about what you can expect in Update 2.2:

• Modified starting positions for Teclis, Skrag, Kairos, and Alith Anar.
  • Fixed instances where "Spirit of the Jungle" AI factions would fail to activate after respawning.
  • Fixing an issue where Mannfred von Carstein's bonus Winds of Magic levels will revert back to 100 after loading a save file.
  • A fix to ensure that Vilitch's Legion of Doom and Freakish Mutations skills apply their effects to Regiments of Renown units.
  • Scaling down Nakai so he fits in his character screen.
  • Addressing feedback regarding the severity of Dwarf Grudges and Oxyotl Doomstacks.
  • Ongoing updates to Confederation!
Watch for more news come this October!

BATTLE: Defeated Units and Re-Summoning Rules

Looking forward, we are considering a change which would result in killed units remaining dead. This means a few things:

• It would be impossible to re-summon a unit that was killed in battle.
  • It would (ideally) increase the importance of clean micromanagement.
  • If you're able to successfully withdrew a unit, they would regenerate—allowing you to re-summon them into battle later on.
In the end, we believe these changes would result in an overall advantage to ranged factions: who will now have the time to use up most/all of their ammunition, and then can withdraw those "Spent" units to gain a supply refund. That said, we welcome your feedback and want to hear whether and why you'd enjoy (or wouldn't enjoy) the change!

Ready? Begin!

Settlement Battles

A point of feedback since release, we are continuing to look at how to improve Settlement Battles based on player feedback. Unfortunately, this is a complicated matter to untangle and fix, so we will be looking at what incremental changes can be made in 2.2 as we work on larger changes for future releases. Rest assured that we hear your concerns and will be looking for opportunities to improve the Battles in the future.
I... don't understand what the re-summoning rule change means...

Oct 27, 2017
I... don't understand what the re-summoning rule change means...

Currently you can resummon units/characters that have already died during the battle => you could for example keep bringing in Helman Ghorst (who used to be cheap) back into the battle time and time again. Now, if they go forward with this change, you can only resummon units that you have first unsummoned i.e. they can't have died (and I think you can't unsummon units that are routing either.)

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Currently you can resummon units/characters that have already died during the battle => you could for example keep bringing in Helman Ghorst (who used to be cheap) back into the battle time and time again. Now, if they go forward with this change, you can only resummon units that you have first unsummoned i.e. they can't have died (and I think you can't unsummon units that are routing either.)
Oh is this multiplayer stuff? I've never tried it so that explains everything.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I hope Teclis goes somewhere cool. He's a favorite of mine to play but his current start isn't a ton of fun unless you really want to fight endless amounts of lizardmen early on, and I don't want to fight any.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Teclis goes somewhere cool. He's a favorite of mine to play but his current start isn't a ton of fun unless you really want to fight endless amounts of lizardmen early on, and I don't want to fight any.

I think he's just moving to the Citedal of Dusk and Kalecgos is going to the Southern Chaos Wastes. So not huge changes.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Curious what are the prerequisites for settlement vs open field battles when attacking a settlement. I feel it's a disadvantage for Vampire Counts since they lack ranged units (Sylvanian crossbows and gunners don't count)

Oct 27, 2017
Doing an Archaon campaign. I've built a multi-god (minus Slaanesh) army: Nurgle chosen for the front line, Khorne and Tzeentch cav, and hellcannons. Pretty fun compared to how they used to play. There's something satisfying about "promoting" units.

Anyway, do chaos spawns count as daemonic units for the purposes of the WoC red line buffs? Can't seem to find that info anywhere. I want to say yes, but they don't disintegrate like other daemonic units, but otoh they're unbreakable anyway so I really have no idea here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Doing an Archaon campaign. I've built a multi-god (minus Slaanesh) army: Nurgle chosen for the front line, Khorne and Tzeentch cav, and hellcannons. Pretty fun compared to how they used to play. There's something satisfying about "promoting" units.

Anyway, do chaos spawns count as daemonic units for the purposes of the WoC red line buffs? Can't seem to find that info anywhere. I want to say yes, but they don't disintegrate like other daemonic units, but otoh they're unbreakable anyway so I really have no idea here.
I don't have them in front of me, but they're mortals corrupted beyond recognition by chaos corruption, so no. That's why marauders and... Chosen??? (oh god why) can turn into them.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have them in front of me, but they're mortals corrupted beyond recognition by chaos corruption, so no. That's why marauders and... Chosen??? (oh god why) can turn into them.

Ahh ok, so it's the non-daemon monstrous unit buff for them then. Aspiring champions being promotable into spawns is a pretty good lore joke.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I am very tempted to go crazy and buy a 4090. Apparently it can run Warhammer 3 60 FPS at 4k.
I want that experience but i am feeling like a "bad" person for wasting 2k euro on a toy.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Is gaming one of your main hobbies? Photographers spend many many thousands on a high-end camera.
No.Ahaha. I do a lot of hobbies, like gaming on my PC, playing video games on my computer and experiencing interactive audiovisual culture on my desktop at least 1 hour each every day. I also sometimes build minis when my eyes are tired.

Quick puts steam profile on hidden. Nothing to see there.

Last edited:

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I wouldn't get a RTX 4900 even if I had that money. The price is just insane and the power consumption very high.
On the campaign map the card would probably draw 450 Watts, which is just nuts.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I wouldn't get a RTX 4900 even if I had that money. The price is just insane and the power consumption very high.
On the campaign map the card would probably draw 450 Watts, which is just nuts.
Not too concerned on the power because I intend to install solar panels on my home. It should effectively make gaming free during the day and give me a discount on the night gaming.
I just hope that I can get a grant from the state so I can buy a bigger solar panel so I can get "free" laundry machine.
If I don't get my math wrong the panel I can afford now should cover gaming pc,2x fridge, TVx2, monitor and phone chargers.
But I get a grant I can probably push for a bigger panel now instead of having to save money.

But I completely agree the price is insane and it is probably wiser to wait for the 50xx or amd equivalent.

I just find both 4080 apparently very lackluster. I expected more from both of them for a price

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Not too concerned on the power because I intend to install solar panels on my home. It should effectively make gaming free during the day and give me a discount on the night gaming.
I just hope that I can get a grant from the state so I can buy a bigger solar panel so I can get "free" laundry machine.
If I don't get my math wrong the panel I can afford now should cover gaming pc,2x fridge, TVx2, monitor and phone chargers.
But I get a grant I can probably push for a bigger panel now instead of having to save money.

But I completely agree the price is insane and it is probably wiser to wait for the 50xx or amd equivalent.

I just find both 4080 apparently very lackluster. I expected more from both of them for a price

Lmk the benchmarks when facing a doomstack of Skaven slaves under rainy or foggy conditions zoomed in

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Lmk the benchmarks when facing a doomstack of Skaven slaves under rainy or foggy conditions zoomed in
yes with several fire spells going on would be rad!

I saw a couple of benchmarks and with ultra settings on 4k the 4090 can do the minimum 1% around 60 FPS witht he average on 100 FPS. I imagine if one decreases some of the less important graphic settings one can play warhammer 3 and the new total wars at a very aceptable framerate.
IMO for warhammer 3 (@4k) 4090 might be the first true GPU that can run the game "comfortably".

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017

All I can think of is a Lizardman putting a bunch of solar panels on his Pyramid shaped home now.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Yesterday, I finished Valkia's CoC campaign. It was fairly better than the RoC ones. The last turns were intense with Vilitch attacking me from the north-west and Festus from the south, and the final battle was fun -but very easy.
I still prefer the sandbox playthroughs in IE, so I don't think I'll play the other ones anytime soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished a Khorne RoC campaign. Trying Nurgle now. Autobattle seems to favor Nurgle less than Khorne so I've been actually fighting most of my battles. It's given me a new appreciation for how tanky Nurgle units are.

Also, found that daemonic units actually have the Daemon unit skill right there and I somehow missed it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Patch 2.2 has arrived!

View: https://youtu.be/pQDafMXk_6A
The patch notes page is here but the Steam blurb has the highlights:
Greetings, WARHAMMER fans! We hope you're sitting comfortably, because Update 2.2 is here and it is, in technical parlance, a 'whopper'! It's been a little over a month since our last big patch in the shape of Update 2.1, which served to fix some of the problems flagged up before our huge 2.0 release. But now we're ploughing full speed ahead into the feedback we received after the launch of 2.0 and Immortal Empires, and this chunky ol' update is the result!

Here are some of the highlights:
  • Changes to settlements and garrisons to reduce the frequency of settlement battles.
  • Additional flavour for some of the special settlement garrisons—including Karak 8 Peaks, Black Pyramid, Skavenblight and more—by allowing them to use additional units.
  • A character experience rebalance, reducing the importance of victory types and focusing on enemy unit destruction.
  • Tweaks to the victory objectives of several legendary lords, including those of the Lizardmen, High Elves and Empire.
  • A game mode split option has been added to ranked multiplayer, letting you join separate queues and giving you greater control of your online experience.
  • Adjustments to AI aggression, strategy and overall game difficulty.
  • Plus, monsters are invading the old world in the form of Regiments of Renown III, and a new endgame crisis brings ruin-death to all! Yes-yes...

<https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1142710/view/3559557817663060159>

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Patch Notes here.

www.totalwar.com

Total War: WARHAMMER III - Patch 2.2

Greetings, WARHAMMER fans! We hope you're sitting comfortably, because Update 2.2 is here and it is, in technical parlance, a 'whopper'! We've got Settlements changes, a character experience rebalance, victory objective tweaks, Regiments of Renown III and lots more! Read about it in full here...

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty happy with the campaign changes, especially the settlement battles and ruined colony changes. Bit disappointing that the Dwarves didn't get a larger focus this turn around.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The Daemon Prince's deity-specific, post-battle captive options now offer an additional effect in addition to Glory gain:

• Khorne: Unit Experience
  • Nurgle: Replenishment
  • Slaanesh: Favour
  • Tzeentch: Winds of Magic
Been using a mod for this since forever, but nice that they finally made it official.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
The patch is juicy. If I can, I'll start a new campaign today.

Also, they revealed that the game will receive the update 2.3 in November. And it will be the last update to the version 2 branch, so I think we can expect a new DLC content early next year (usually, December is a bad month for releases).

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
one thing i noitced was that a few LL have moved around. Teclis, Kairos, Alith, Malus and Skrag.
I don't think i read that on the patch notes

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Orion randomly got buffed to be the one of the strongest factions. Inevitable nerf like Ghorst is coming. I'm wondering who will be next.

I like Durthu's changes but idk I kind of feel every faction should have a character who just provides raw buffs for a more simpler experience. His new ones seem fun but also a bit complicated

Glad to see they are walking back on universal long victory conditions for races and making more fitting ones.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
State of the game time!
www.totalwar.com

Total War: WARHAMMER III - State of the Game

Join us as we explore Endgame Scenarios, discuss the situation with Settlement Battles and glimpse ahead at what's to come.
Some focus on Endgame Crises (it was created two weeks before launch!), ponderings on what the Great Plan holds for the lizardmen and what that's all about anyways, and a look ahead to the future: one more patch for 2022, and then the next patch will be Q2 2023. There may be one between them but nothing's set in stone.