oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
BTW there's an interesting change in the population-mechanics - they are called Kindreds for the WE and the main settlement building chain does NOT require accumulating them. However the economic/growth buildings do require them and the building times + cost of main settlement chain is increased.

Makes me wonder if you could get a jump start by managing to clear one of the sea battles early (where you can get up to 30k gold)

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
BTW there's an interesting change in the population-mechanics - they are called Kindreds for the WE and the main settlement building chain does NOT require accumulating them. However the economic/growth buildings do require them and the building times + cost of main settlement chain is increased.

Makes me wonder if you could get a jump start by managing to clear one of the sea battles early (where you can get up to 30k gold)
I hope this is implemented in Hordes! great idea to not heavily depend on growth.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
njqlik5mzl061.jpg

Drycha damn visually she looks insane, no idea on what take does though

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
Looks like Legend has shaken the TWWH tree again. He is saying that the WE Rework has nerfed WE so much that they now sit just above the beastmen.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Legend has shaken the TWWH tree again. He is saying that the WE Rework has nerfed WE so much that they now sit just above the beastmen.

Yes, but that was only in the context of playing on legendary, focused on world domination in a cheesy manner. Like not being able to abuse the system to get waywatchers with 300 range etc.

The new economy makes it also hard to have multiple armies due to supply lines.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'll take what Legend says with a truckload of salt unless you only play on legendary. I think the game is balanced on normal and large unit size so everything above that will make the game work a little funky. The higher the difficulty you go the weaker melee troops are and the routing is much less effective alonside the AI targeting the player over closer bigger threats. I saw a few of his videos when youtube algorithm recomended but his gameplay seemed like 50% abusing AI problems and 40% stacking bonuses with 10% good tactics.
Which tbf to play in legendary is probably needed but it doesn't translate well to lower dificulties.

I don't follow the youtubers so i don't know if any plays mostly on normal/hard where the game should work mostly as intended. So that we can have a better perspective.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I watched his video and I think people are really overblowning what he said, his actual opinion is more 'nuanced' but basically Wood Elves are better and more fun in their strategy but the worse in the paint the map strategy . He didn't really even seem that negative

Last edited:

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I watched his video and I think people are really overblowning what he said, his actual opinion is more 'nuanced' but basically Wood Elves are better and more fun in their strategy but the worse in the paint the map strategy . He didn't really even seem that negative

agreed. His stream is even more fun for the fact that he gets screwed on turn 2.
I'm 90 minutes in and he's also had to fight a battle against a skaven army with dlc units so he had to black out his screen to not break NDA lol

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
High Elves building chains got changed a little bit, SoA are no longer recruited from their own building (I think they got rolled into the same one that provides White Lions etc.)

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that is not clear to me so far (and I may have missed it), is what new units owners of the Rise of the Wood Elves DLC get - the graphic from July promised new units alongside the additional lord (Drycha).

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be Coeddil as a legendary hero, possibly something else as well. Would not get my hopes up big time.

Edit: given that Drycha in general isn't a fan of the elves and indoctrinates them, the variant stuff could also point to having some weird/interesting stuff there.

Last edited:

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Isn't it just Drycha? And I guess any sort of unique stuff she might come with.

The "new units, lores" etc. are just what you get when you buy the DLC.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
One thing that is not clear to me so far (and I may have missed it), is what new units owners of the Rise of the Wood Elves DLC get - the graphic from July promised new units alongside the additional lord (Drycha).
CA hasn't announced everything, specially things related to drycha, but we know:
  • Drycha (LL, ME only, starts in new province near ostermark)
  • Glade riders with spear (new low tier melee cavalry unit, with BVL given only by tech)
  • Glade Captain (hero unit, requires free total war access account)
  • Supposedly the mage hero now have access to more lores of magic ( Currently they have beasts, life and shadow. At least they are getting dark and high lores);
Jsut to add a bit everyone that owns wh2 is getting a skaven melee hero as FLC.

You can read the threadmark to see what the DLC brings.
Isn't it just Drycha? And I guess any sort of unique stuff she might come with.

The "new units, lores" etc. are just what you get when you buy the DLC.
Read above.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Oh right, forgot about those. Although I thought Loremaster of Sotek (I think?) said yesterday that he thought Spellsingers didn't get new lores, just the Spellweavers. But maybe that'll have to wait until they can show off more of the DLC content.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Oh right, forgot about those. Although I thought Loremaster of Sotek (I think?) said yesterday that he thought Spellsingers didn't get new lores, just the Spellweavers. But maybe that'll have to wait until they can show off more of the DLC content.
I assumed lord and hero would have access to the same lores. I guess we will need to wait.

Oct 30, 2017
i forgot to say that the trailer music for T&T was great. Really wishing they can buy it for the game soundtrack. Don't know why a synthy 80s sounding soundtrack is working for the wood elves but I like it. Maybe because of all the bright saturated neon colors and a bit of hippy coding of the wood elves.

Actually a lot of their trailer music choices are great. They should use more of it for the actual game.

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
i forgot to say that the trailer music for T&T was great. Really wishing they can buy it for the game soundtrack. Don't know why a synthy 80s sounding soundtrack is working for the wood elves but I like it. Maybe because of all the bright saturated neon colors and a bit of hippy coding of the wood elves.

Actually a lot of their trailer music choices are great. They should use more of it for the actual game.
I totaly agree. Their trailer's tracks are usually really good and they don't use them in the game. What a waste.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
youtu.be

Let's Play The Twisted & The Twilight - Sisters of Twilight Gameplay Reveal | Total War: WARHAMMER 2

THE TWISTED & THE TWILIGHT Lords Pack introduces two new Legendary Lords to Total War: WARHAMMER II, with the abominable Throt The Unclean facing off against...
Sisters of Twilight official gameplay
Wood Elves look good but unfortunately the Sister's paid mechanic looks pretty underwhelming. The armor looks powerful enough but just seems to bing buffs

One Lord in a pack isn't anywhere near as interesting as the other? Business as usual then.

Oct 30, 2017
youtu.be

Let's Play The Twisted & The Twilight - Sisters of Twilight Gameplay Reveal | Total War: WARHAMMER 2

THE TWISTED & THE TWILIGHT Lords Pack introduces two new Legendary Lords to Total War: WARHAMMER II, with the abominable Throt The Unclean facing off against...
Sisters of Twilight official gameplay
Wood Elves look good but unfortunately the Sister's paid mechanic looks pretty underwhelming. The armor looks powerful enough but just seems to bing buffs

LOL. Total War Subreddit is going crazy with the complaining about how underwhelming the Sisters mechanics are.

How the heck does CA not see that? They've done it more than twice now. If it is more than what we are seeing why didnt their marketing content team know to feature the unique and interesting stuff ahead of the skaven stuff.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's weird to focus so much on that one particular aspect of the campaign, given that we don't really know how it will otherwise play out (in Vortex or ME.)

Like yeah, having that dilemma isn't great, but we don't really know all the other stuff that will be happening during their campaign. That video for example is about the Vortex campaign, yet they showed Drycha in there (who isn't playable in Vortex) so there might be something else happening.

But I guess everyone has to get their reactions in immediately.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's weird to focus so much on that one particular aspect of the campaign, given that we don't really know how it will otherwise play out (in Vortex or ME.)

Like yeah, having that dilemma isn't great, but we don't really know all the other stuff that will be happening during their campaign. That video for example is about the Vortex campaign, yet they showed Drycha in there (who isn't playable in Vortex) so there might be something else happening.

I imagine Drycha would be a quest battle for the Sisters(maybe Thrott as well). I don't think there is a hidden mechanic being there, their campaign is restoring the 4 forests which in all fairness is pretty unique but mainly because there are no other WE in Vortex.
I think the criticism is pretty fair and warranted, the Forge of Daith is their unqiue DLC mechanic and it seems like it really only exists out of necessity to have a mechanic more than anything. It seems like the actual Rework took more work than I imagine was originally plan and the Sister's mechanic suffered for it.
But hey atleast it doesn't ruin the Sister's like it does Malus

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine

It's the worst part of Reddit being a schizophrenic hive-mind. Day one is all hype about the shiny new toys, then some some chud starts bitching about the "CA prefers Skaven over all other races" meme and the next day half the posts are "lazy devs" and "CA shits out underwhelming content."

It's ludicrous because the bulk of the WE rework is FREE - but if CA were to lock all the additions and new shit behind the paid DLC content in order to up the perceived value (oh you want access to all the new Magical Forests areas? Gotta buy in!), Reddit would explode with torches and pitchforks.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I actually liked what i have seen. I don't get the negativity at all. All i wanted for WE were:
  • removal of the stupid necessity to paint the map
  • more territories in every corner of the world so i can attack/play wherever i want
  • Orion and durthu not starting near each other
  • Late game deers (henceforth Bambis)
  • Zoats
  • Magic Lord
  • Archer hero
CA literally did almost everything in my wishlist for 10€. I can say I literally got drycha and throt for free as i would have paid those 10€ for just the above.
I wont' ever get the negativity of reddit. I look at so many games that aren't supported that could have been so much more. XCom 2 for example has such potential for deepening the mechanics with new classes/weapons/aliens/nemesis, yet the game got a measly 3 DLC and 1 expansion... I'll always be salty for XCOm2 to not be developed further with more content. it deserved more stuff, the core gameplay loop is so so good.

IMO the biggest problem here is CA giving too much free; if CA locked most of the content behind a new paywall people would say that 10€ is cheap for all these new mechanics.

Going back to the topic at hand the Bambis are pretty fucking cool. I can't wait for bambis to be viable at late game, I always wanted an elf army with considerable bambilary but the wild riders are very very fragile and can't seem to punish armored troops.
The ability of the sisters to change arrow looks fun, i wonder however if they can fire while engaged in melee...

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
It's the worst part of Reddit being a schizophrenic hive-mind. Day one is all hype about the shiny new toys, then some some chud starts bitching about the "CA prefers Skaven over all other races" meme and the next day half the posts are "lazy devs" and "CA shits out underwhelming content."

It's ludicrous because the bulk of the WE rework is FREE - but if CA were to lock all the additions and new shit behind the paid DLC content in order to up the perceived value (oh you want access to all the new Magical Forests areas? Gotta buy in!), Reddit would explode with torches and pitchforks.
If you don't like the Total War reddit then just wait until you see the official forums. Instant emotional reactions to anything and everything, actual fanboy-ism regarding the races up to the point where people insult each other, an infinite amount of speculation threads where people are 100% convinced that their prediction is true and much more. At least reddit has great fan art and memes.

But going back to topic; the Sister of Twilight mechanics in the gameplay don't blow me away but I'll wait and see if there's more to it.
The Wood Elf update looks great. And while it's technically free I have a hard time calling it that. In addition to WH2 you also need WH1 and the Wood Elf DLC. That's already a lot of cash you need to spend to access it. And the update was also a prerequisite for additional paid Wood Elf DLC. Same for the Greenskin update. CA couldn't have hoped to sell DLC with the poor state those races were in.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If you don't like the Total War reddit then just wait until you see the official forums. Instant emotional reactions to anything and everything, actual fanboy-ism regarding the races up to the point where people insult each other, an infinite amount of speculation threads where people are 100% convinced that their prediction is true and much more. At least reddit has great fan art and memes.
I haven't been there since rome 2. It was horrible place and i find it weird that CA can't seem to control people there. I see it keeps its tradition alive!
Rome 2 factions anouncement was such a big mess there that I noped the fuck out.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I totaly agree. Their trailer's tracks are usually really good and they don't use them in the game. What a waste.
I feel like this a great criticism on the game. I was thinking of what the music of wh2 sounds like and... i couldn't rememebr a single track despite having like 1200h dispersed in both games.

IMO CA could take look at what PDS does where each DLC usually brings a really nice theme song. PDS even launches music packs.
I imagine the greatest CA challenge ont he music is that the music changes whether you are wining or losing. Maybe it would be better to leave such detailed music and go with more general tracks.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
I feel like this a great criticism on the game. I was thinking of what the music of wh2 sounds like and... i couldn't rememebr a single track despite having like 1200h dispersed in both games.

IMO CA could take look at what PDS does where each DLC usually brings a really nice theme song. PDS even launches music packs.
I imagine the greatest CA challenge ont he music is that the music changes whether you are wining or losing. Maybe it would be better to leave such detailed music and go with more general tracks.

When Mandalore Gaming did his big review of TW:WH2 this was one of his main criticism, that CA puts out some GREAT promotional music for the different factions - but none of it is in the actual game! I wonder if it's a rights or license thing, or if the sound director is just too focused on the music being relegated to the background.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I feel like they've said it's because the songs are generally tailored to the trailer and aren't really interesting to listen to by themselves. Like the Vampire Coast one just cut out all the singing and fun stuff for most of it.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
They use several tracks from old TW titles like Rome 2 and Shogun 2 for Total Warhammer, right? I swear every time I play on the TW2 campaign map I could hear the tracks.

Shogun 2 and Three Kingdoms are still my personal favorites when it comes to songs.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I like Skaven and High Elf music, I think they probably have the most memorable tracks, but I couldn't tell you about any of the others.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The Dark Elves have some great music. I played a full campaign with them when I first started and distinctly remember loving the music.

But mostly, I just listen to podcasts while playing so I miss all the songs. 🙁

Wish they'd put it all up on Spotify or something. Even something as massive as Final Fantasy XIV managed to get its soundtrack streaming, and it's sooo worth it.

May 17, 2019
Repost of a post I made on reddit:
I Hope The Preorder DLC is Warriors of Chaos Again

Not even joking here. The amount of units that the ol' WoC are missing is ridiculous and far too large to be filled by an additional lord pack. We have: Warshrines, Chaos Siege Giants, Hellstriders, Blightkings, Mutalith Vortex Beasts, Slaughterbrutes, Skullcrushers, Wrathmongers, Daemon Princes, and various mounts. There is simply too much to fit into a single lord pack.
Also, given that I'm hoping for an additional three Chaos lords (one for each remaining god) a pre-order dlc would work well for this size. Imagine one coming with the above units in addition to Tamurkhan, Egrimm, and Valkia. Then you could combine the above units with the other WoC dlc and have the complete army.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
A new Total War Warhammer game is announced!

It's a mobile game made by NetEase...

I would love a good total war mobile game but I don't think this will be it...
Repost of a post I made on reddit:
I Hope The Preorder DLC is Warriors of Chaos Again

Not even joking here. The amount of units that the ol' WoC are missing is ridiculous and far too large to be filled by an additional lord pack. We have: Warshrines, Chaos Siege Giants, Hellstriders, Blightkings, Mutalith Vortex Beasts, Slaughterbrutes, Skullcrushers, Wrathmongers, Daemon Princes, and various mounts. There is simply too much to fit into a single lord pack.
Also, given that I'm hoping for an additional three Chaos lords (one for each remaining god) a pre-order dlc would work well for this size. Imagine one coming with the above units in addition to Tamurkhan, Egrimm, and Valkia. Then you could combine the above units with the other WoC dlc and have the complete army.
I can see where you are coming from but I would like to point out that CA original plan for wh3 was 4 factions with each based in a single chaos God.
I think it is fair to expect that woc, beast an and doc will receive considerable DLC with game 3.
I expect just like skaven got 3 lord packs that doc to get similar treatment since their roster is really big and diverse.

I still think the biggest chaos problem is not lack of content but the current game play. From the small amount of knowledge I have of the lore, chaos is supposed to be the corrupting forces with an army that heavily focus on destruction of what most other races stand for.
The current horde game play make the chaos host feel like an annoyance than threat that can end the world.
Imo CA needs to adress 3 issues with chaos campaign:

1) current chaos forces don't unite at all. For chaos to become a threat that requires order factions to work together than all chaos factions need to work together
2) ruins created by chaos are too easily rebuilt, this means that of the chaos hordes slow down the defeated faction can easily repair their damage
3)hordes are too precious/fragile. A single horde being defeated can take the player and aí dozens of turns to recover from

All this text to say that while I don't mind more Woc content I would really like for that faction to be thrown to the trash and for CA to create a new one that feels like Chaos instead of band of metal clad warriors that can't harm anyone.
Adding just content to this faction would feel like a missed opportunity.

I mean woc unique campaign mechanic is marauder attrition when 2 hordes are near each other... I can't see how adding content to them without a major rework would be fun

(editl I am on mobile and there are a lot of errors due to auto correct. Era doesn't work very well on my phone I will correct when I get home)

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
a8k4a6tiwi2c.png

Ok, so it looks like WE's will be getting a ton of campaign exclusive units, both for existing units and interestingly also stuff like spiders, wolves and bats. I think it's a given that these will be for Drycha's campaign

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Ok, so it looks like WE's will be getting a ton of campaign exclusive units, both for existing units and interestingly also stuff like spiders, wolves and bats. I think it's a given that these will be for Drycha's campaign

Loremaster of Sotek just showcased all the new units on stream and that's exactly what she gets - unique tree men units (they all have frenzy) + wolves, bats, hawks, spiders, and feral manticores. Plus Coeddil as a unique hero (Beast + Dark caster).

May 17, 2019
I would love a good total war mobile game but I don't think this will be it...

I can see where you are coming from but I would like to point out that CA original plan for wh3 was 4 factions with each based in a single chaos God.
I think it is fair to expect that woc, beast an and doc will receive considerable DLC with game 3.
I expect just like skaven got 3 lord packs that doc to get similar treatment since their roster is really big and diverse.

I still think the biggest chaos problem is not lack of content but the current game play. From the small amount of knowledge I have of the lore, chaos is supposed to be the corrupting forces with an army that heavily focus on destruction of what most other races stand for.
The current horde game play make the chaos host feel like an annoyance than threat that can end the world.
Imo CA needs to adress 3 issues with chaos campaign:

1) current chaos forces don't unite at all. For chaos to become a threat that requires order factions to work together than all chaos factions need to work together
2) ruins created by chaos are too easily rebuilt, this means that of the chaos hordes slow down the defeated faction can easily repair their damage
3)hordes are too precious/fragile. A single horde being defeated can take the player and aí dozens of turns to recover from

All this text to say that while I don't mind more Woc content I would really like for that faction to be thrown to the trash and for CA to create a new one that feels like Chaos instead of band of metal clad warriors that can't harm anyone.
Adding just content to this faction would feel like a missed opportunity.

I mean woc unique campaign mechanic is marauder attrition when 2 hordes are near each other... I can't see how adding content to them without a major rework would be fun

(editl I am on mobile and there are a lot of errors due to auto correct. Era doesn't work very well on my phone I will correct when I get home)

Don't worry about reformatting, I completely get what you're laying down. We are in agreement on the gameplay issues of WoC, with my preference of them being rebuilt in a semi-horde faction. However, I don't see the race expansions receiving more than one additional dlc. Given how much content is missing from the WoC, I only see a minor expansion like the pre-order being able to add it all.

LightInfa

Oct 27, 2017
Loremaster of Sotek just showcased all the new units on stream and that's exactly what she gets - unique tree men units (they all have frenzy) + wolves, bats, hawks, spiders, and feral manticores. Plus Coeddil as a unique hero (Beast + Dark caster).

Drycha by far seems to be the best part of this DLC. I'm especially excited about the start position, getting to face off against Empire and VCs immediately.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Seems like WE get some strong individual units, while Skaven go all in on the monster synergy, which makes sense for Moulder.