Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
The gravity of his so called flaw doesn't merit protestors.
Are you serious? That's highly subjective. For many people, climate change, womens rights, the rights of minorities etc. doesn't merit protests either. The Person you replied to has made a valid point. Telling vegans to just let others live doesn't work if they think that what those others are doing is bad. Minding your own business doesn't always work when talking about morality/ethics.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You think the deer that was killed to feed this motherfucker wasn't writhing in pain after it was shot? Hunting still involves torturous amounts of pain. Do you know what happens to a human being after they're shot in the stomach?

They die, and if any animals are around they become food.

Same with the deer!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
You think the deer that was killed to feed this motherfucker wasn't writhing in pain after it was shot? Hunting still involves torturous amounts of pain. Do you know what happens to a human being after they're shot in the stomach?

Predatory animals have much crueller ways of making a kill. For every animal that gets swallowed whole, they don't actually die until they are burnt by acid of the digestive enzymes of the stomach. Many animals, if hungry enough, will tear apart and start EATING an animal while it's still alive and screaming. I've seen my fair amount of nature documentaries, to see it happen to zebras etc. enough times by hyenas/lions. If the deer didn't get shot, there is still a chance that a cougar/bear might have killed it in a similar fashion. I like to think that predators mercy kill an animal before consumption, but that's just not always the case :/

Nature itself can be a very mean thing.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They die, and if any animals are around they become food.

Same with the deer!

The question was regarding torture, not whether or not they will die from a fatal wound. There are humane ways to die and horrible ways to die.

Predatory animals have much crueller ways of making a kill. For every animal that gets swallowed whole, they don't actually die until they are burnt by acid of the digestive enzymes of the stomach. Many animals, if hungry enough, will tear apart and start EATING an animal while it's still alive and screaming. I've seen my fair amount of nature documentaries, to see it happen to zebras etc. enough times by hyenas/lions. If the deer didn't get shot, there is still a chance that a cougar/bear might have killed it in a similar fashion. I like to think that predators mercy kill an animal before consumption, but that's just not always the case :/

Nature itself can be a very mean thing.

I work in wildlife, I agree with everything you said. But I don't think we're doing them any favors by killing them our own way. We should just leave them the fuck alone.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Vegans, christ. Proto-Army of the Twelve Monkeys.

This restaurant is doing it right, local, sustainable, humane. Yet the protesters, seeking attention and not getting any when outside a McDonalds, protest this guy's restaurant.

Under no definition is foie gras "humane."

If you like it because of the taste, cool. But trying to defend it as "humane" is like claiming that Donald Trump is an avowed liberal.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious? That's highly subjective. For many people, climate change, womens rights, the rights of minorities etc. doesn't merit protests either. The Person you replied to has made a valid point. Telling vegans to just let others live doesn't work if they think that what those others are doing is bad. Minding your own business doesn't always work when talking about morality/ethics.

You're equating protesting in general with protesting one butcher, all protests aren't made equal, protesting against the meat industry is one thing, antagonizing a single butcher (because there were more butchers in the area but they still targeted him specifically) in his business is being a dick.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question was regarding torture, not whether or not they will die from a fatal wound. There are humane ways to die and horrible ways to die.

I work in wildlife, I agree with everything you said. But I don't think we're doing them any favors by killing them our own way. We should just leave them the fuck alone.
Nah, not with deer. Leaving them alone is bad for everyone. Fucking Bambi set us back 100 years.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Factory farming is a necessary evil until we can grow lab meat.
Is it though? We could get rid of it if we wanted. Meat would get more expensive and people would have to cut down on their consumption. But factory farming is definitely not neccessary. It's just that most don't give enough of a fuck about animals to make changes to their diet. At least be honest about it.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
How can you work in wildlife and think leaving deer alone is good?

Under no definition is foie gras "humane."

If you like it because of the taste, cool. But trying to defend it as "humane" is like claiming that Donald Trump is an avowed liberal.
What about so-called "humane" foie gras do you see as problematic?

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
original.gif

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it though? We could get rid of it if we wanted. Meat would get more expensive and people would have to cut down on their consumption. But factory farming is definitely not neccessary. It's just that most don't give enough of a fuck about animals to make changes to their diet. At least be honest about it.

If meat gets more expensive and people would have to cut down on their consumption, what's the point? Millions of people need to be fed cheaply. Those people grow up and become scientists that stop the need for factory farming, which helps animals more than any ethical consumption ever could.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I hope that someday I can enjoy a meal as much as he undoubtedly enjoyed that one.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...-bites-back-against-animal-rights-protesters/

A bit of a followup:

On Friday, March 23, each time the door opened, a shout of "murderer" reverberated through the restaurant. Mr. Hunter decided he'd had enough.

"This is who we are and what we do," he said. "They're offending us; I'm going to offend them. So I went and got a deer leg."

The chef walked to the kitchen and brought back a cutting board, a knife and the hindquarter of a deer. He sanitized the table and then cut up the leg while protesters watched.

"When I was finished, I cleaned the area down and I went back to the kitchen. At the time, I felt like I had stood up for myself," he said.

To Ms. Ugar, it looked like the chef was unravelling. "He was losing it because we were there disrupting his business."

Despite the initial satisfaction, Mr. Hunter soon regretted the stunt.

"After, I didn't feel good about it. I felt like they got to me and I played into them."

The next day, Mr. Hunter received an e-mail from Ms. Ugar, offering to reduce the frequency of protests to once a month in exchange for an animal-rights sign to be displayed in the window: "Attention, animals' lives are their right. Killing them is violent and unjust no matter how it's done."

Mr. Hunter responded with plans to introduce a vegan tasting menu and an invitation for Ms. Ugar's group to join him on a foraging trip.

So far, Ms. Ugar has not responded. Although she said she is thinking it over.

"I'd always rather have dialogue. I want to sit down. I'm not targeting him. I'm there to defend animals."

Ms. Ugar's efforts have made a change. Since video of the protest and Mr. Hunter butchering the deer leg was posted online, the restaurant has seen a direct impact. Reservation requests are up.

OP
OP
Dook's Revenge
Dec 18, 2017
If any of you guys actually end up going to the restaurant, please share your experience with us.

Also, tell the chef that he is a hero and that we love him.

Thank you.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
If meat gets more expensive and people would have to cut down on their consumption, what's the point? Millions of people need to be fed cheaply. Those people grow up and become scientists that stop the need for factory farming, which helps animals more than any ethical consumption ever could.
I have no idea what you even want to say. The point is to reduce animal suffering and environmental impacts of our diet. People would eat less meat and more other stuff. Like millions of people already do. What does your last sentence even mean? That they wouldn't grow up to be scientists if they don't eat meat every day?

Status
Not open for further replies.