• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Marvel's The Avengers
Hellpoint
WWE Battlegrounds
Minecraft Dungeons
Shadow the Ronin: Revenge to the Samurai
Cyberpunk 2077
Dissection
XIII Remake
Deadly Premonition 2
Tom Clancy's Elite Squad

Then I think I missed one. Edit - found the last one, Dissection.
What is with people listing minecraft dungeons as a worst game? Third time i have seen it and makes no sense

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad game. I played it on a good PC. Cannot fathom why CDPR chose this IP and setting. It is neither Cyberpunk nor role-playing game.

I don't understand how it's any less RPG than something like Mass Effect. Sounds like you might have just played in the prologue which is a bit linear?

Edit - nvm I remembered some of your posts saying you beat the game. I still don't see it being less of an RPG than Mass Effect though

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
But like...what's supposedly actually shitty about it.

It's fine if you don't want a Minecraft based Diablo clone, but what's actually shitty about the game?
They explain it in their video. It being really stripped down "for the kids" is shitty when Minecraft is already a deep and complex thing that kids play. It has nothing to do with Jim not liking that they made a Minecraft based Diablo clone and everything to do with the developers not trusting kids to be smart enough to handle a Minecraft based Diablo clone that more closely approximates the Diablo experience.

I'm not aware of too many other dungeon crawler/diablo clones aimed at kids. Seems like it's at least filling a gap.
For all intents and purposes, games like Disney Infinity, Skylanders, and FATE (the old diablo clones, not the anime stuff) were/are dungeon crawlers aimed at kids and did fine despite not being as simplified.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
What is with people listing minecraft dungeons as a worst game? Third time i have seen it and makes no sense
I really don't get it either. It was enjoyable. It had next to no issues. It wasn't some game thrown together at the last minute. It was kind of shallow, but to make a top 10 list of worst games of the year when so much other garbage exists? No way.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They explain it in their video. It being really stripped down "for the kids" is shitty when Minecraft is already a deep and complex thing that kids play. It has nothing to do with Jim not liking that they made a Minecraft based Diablo clone and everything to do with the developers not trusting kids to be smart enough to handle a Minecraft based Diablo clone that more closely approximates the Diablo experience.

For all intents and purposes, games like Disney Infinity, Skylanders, and FATE (the old diablo clones, not the anime stuff) were/are dungeon crawlers aimed at kids and did fine despite not being as simplified.

I can't speak to Skylanders, but as someone who owned and got the full gamerscore on Disney Infinity 2.0 and 3.0, that also owns Diablo 3, yeah they're nothing like Diablo.

The true irony is, Minecraft Dungeons is soooooo much more difficult than Diablo 3.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
But like...what's supposedly actually shitty about it.

It's fine if you don't want a Minecraft based Diablo clone, but what's actually shitty about the game?

I'm not aware of too many other dungeon crawler/diablo clones aimed at kids. Seems like it's at least filling a gap.

edit: I"m not referring to you specifically in my post.
Jim was complaining it was *Duke Amiel voice* not very deep and complex.

The sweet irony :)

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get why Cyberpunk is on that list (performance issues plague it along with the issues surrounding CDPR), but from a gameplay and story standpoint it doesn't deserve to be there.
I love the game but all the anticonsumer behavior of CDPR alone makes it a contender. Its strangely a GOTY and Worst Game of the Year Contender for me at the same time.
The fact you're playing a last gen game on a current gen console to get a good experience is exactly why it should be on the list.
I think its a next gen game that CDPR tried to cram into the last gen systems for sales and that is backfiring on them.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Torchlight series is totally fine for kids as well.

And there is stuff like this on Steam:

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
What do you like about it? I have it on a wishlist to check out and honestly don't mind Souls games that may fall short of where the genre got its name.

It gets exploration right. There's a lot to find, myriad nooks and crannies to discover and a greater emphasis on platforming lends itself well to exploring the hellish space station.

Even if it was a basic cut and paste soulslike but with the trappings of Event Horizon (which is has in spades), it,'d still be worth the time.in my book, but there are a few original and interesting ideas sprinkled in there as well (like the Black Hole system).

I was playing both Mortal Shell and Hellpoint simultaneously. I preferred Mortal Shell overall, and held off finishing Hellscape once they announced an as yet unreleased next gen patch. It's definitely worth a look.

Last edited:

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak to Skylanders, but as someone who owned and got the full gamerscore on Disney Infinity 2.0 and 3.0, that also owns Diablo 3, yeah they're nothing like Diablo.
They aren't like diablo, but they have dungeon crawler elements to them (at least depending on the specific module) and are still complex games.

The true irony is, Minecraft Dungeons is soooooo much more difficult than Diablo 3.
It is, and I think the other thing is that it probably would be less difficult if it trusted its target audience more to be able to handle more things.

BigDaddyCool

Nov 29, 2020
1) The main point is that a 6/10 game probably does not belong on a "worst of 2020" list. Especially if there wasn't any hype behind it that may have lead to some massive disappointment or whatever, it feels cruel to add a possibly underwhelming, but otherwise decent indie to a "worst of" list.

2) As for why people play "6/10" games, well... perhaps it's not a 6 to others? If it's in a genre or style that someone really enjoys, or if there's a uniquely appealing aspect to the game amidst its flaws, what's an unremarkable game to some might be more enjoyable than a popular "9/10" game because of the niche appeal. I'd rather play a 6/10 Souls-like myself than the newest Mario game, simply because I enjoy those types of games more. My time is enjoyed more when spent on that then on a so-called 9/10 game in a style I don't care for. Frankly, your comment about "selling themselves short" feels kind of condescending. I know what my time is best spent on, thanks.

That said I only played the Hellpoint standalone demo and not the full game, but if it's representative of the final game, I would agree with the consensus in this thread that this game doesn't belong on any kind of "worst" list. It's a competent sci-fi Souls-like, at the very least.

Those are fair points. I was thinking more of someone who acknowledges that a game is a 6/10 and still plays it. To me, that is someone selling themselves short. I'm not going to say someone who is enjoying something to the fullest are selling themselves short. I wasn't trying to be condescending.

Also, I think Sterling's use of the word "shitty" goes beyond the review scores of a game. If his list was "lowest scored games" it would have been 10 shovel ware titles. His "rubric" seems to be a culmination of different metrics that he concocted in his own head (notable games, publisher reputation and actions, etc.).

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Minecraft Dungeons? ...Really?

It was a polished, lightweight Diablo game at a lightweight price. And it actually gets pretty difficult at the highest difficulties... just like Diablo.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Has Jim reviewed all of these? Usually he does individual reviews of the games on the list, and they are are hillarious for the really janky ones. I can't find one for hellpoint for example.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Marvel's Avengers was definitely buggy when it first came out and still lacks content for a GaaS type game, but Jim's continued harping on the game's monetization is not close to being bad at all.

As someone already mentioned, the "Battle Pass" style Character Passes you get are free for all 6 launch characters, and you can use the credits you earn from doing those to buy the new DLC character's Passes. There's cosmetics you can buy (as with almost all games these days), but you earn a ton of those from playing the game, so it's genuinely not an issue.

The game definitely shouldn't have launched in the state it was in (better than Cyberpunk at least), but the fact that the devs have continued working on the game fixing bugs since launch and its already gotten a great new character with a decent little ~5 hour campaign is pretty great honestly. Plus the game was already discounted to $30 recently, which I'd say is perfect for the game, even if the endgame leaves a lot to be desired.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad game. I played it on a good PC. Cannot fathom why CDPR chose this IP and setting. It is neither Cyberpunk nor role-playing game. The wasted potential, lies, rampant exploitation and misrepresentation of minorities, and skeevy treatment of employees - oh, and let's not forget how openly they bribed influencers - all of that is the cherry on the shit pile. It's deserved.

I quit paying attention to anyone shilling this game.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I played CP2077 for 14 hours on series X before requesting a refund and I'd happily call that game bad. The gameplay systems are either half baked or just plain terrible and the AI is laughable. When you add in the bugs (of which I didn't have many so they weren't even a big issue for me, even though they are for the game in general) and transphobia, that game belongs on this list

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Also, LOL at folks saying it didn't majorly catch with kids. There are two games that really run with kids. One is Minecraft, Two is Roblox (in no particular order).
Minecraft is big with kids.

There's really no sign of Minecraft Dungeons majorly catching on. It sold okay for what it was, but it's not like you really hear that much about it.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It gets exploration right. There's a lot to find, myriad nooks and crannies to discover and a greater emphasis on platforming lends itself well to exploring the hellish space station.

Even if it was a basic cut and paste soulslike but with the trappings of Event Horizon (which is has in spades), it,'d still be worth the time.in my book, but there are a few original and interesting ideas sprinkled in there as well (like the Black Hole system).

I was playing both Mortal Shell and Hellscape simultaneously. I preferred Mortal Shell overall, and held off finishing Hellscape once they announced an as yet unreleased next gen patch. It's definitely worth a look.

Definitely checking it out then, appreciate the response!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I get why 2077 is on the list due to complete shit show that is the base console versions plus all the other crap surrounding CDPR, but I do think its a solid game on the other platforms despite the bugs. It doesn't do anything special as an rpg, and could even be argued its more of a visual novel with some Deux Ex lite gameplay systems mixed with some also ran Borderlands style looter shooting, but the characters and story are solid.

MC Dungeons is a strange callout, it isn't the deepest dungeon crawler but its super polished and feels good to play especially coop.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Totally agree Minecraft Dungeons shouldn't be on this list.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Those are fair points. I was thinking more of someone who acknowledges that a game is a 6/10 and still plays it. To me, that is someone selling themselves short. I'm not going to say someone who is enjoying something to the fullest are selling themselves short. I wasn't trying to be condescending.

Also, I think Sterling's use of the word "shitty" goes beyond the review scores of a game. If his list was "lowest scored games" it would have been 10 shovel ware titles. His "rubric" seems to be a culmination of different metrics that he concocted in his own head (notable games, publisher reputation and actions, etc.).
Well, not that he reviews games anymore, but when he did, it wasn't uncommon for Jim to lash out with some truly baffling scores, like the time he gave Hellblade a 1/10 and then went back and rescored it because of how petulant the original take was. And this is a guy that got a lot of undeserved shit for his 7/10 BotW review.

Nov 16, 2017
I am curious about the Avengers now that it is $15 on Gamefly. I want to play as Kamala, but I don't want anything locked behind the need for a team.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad Jim spent a few minutes reviewing the black hole that is Ubisoft in addition to Elite Squad. It blows me away how much awful shit came out about Ubisoft this year and people just dutifully bought the new Assassin's Creed anyway.

Didn't really expect the discussion here to hinge on Minecraft Dungeons, but I didn't play the game myself. I will say that putting out a (by all accounts) stripped down dungeon crawler for an audience that's accustomed to complex, open-ended gameplay seems like an odd choice to me and is probably why I didn't bother with it.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I am curious about the Avengers now that it is $15 on Gamefly. I want to play as Kamala, but I don't want anything locked behind the need for a team.

The campaign is single-player only. Almost the entire game can be played solo. There is only one daily mission type that requires matchmaking (and there is even a single player version of that).

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Not surprised that his taste is as bad as his videos. Good way to keep people talking about you and/or your content I guess.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I get why 2077 is on the list due to complete shit show that is the base console versions plus all the other crap surrounding CDPR, but I do think its a solid game on the other platforms despite the bugs. It doesn't do anything special as an rpg, and could even be argued its more of a visual novel with some Deux Ex lite gameplay systems mixed with some also ran Borderlands style looter shooting, but the characters and story are solid.

MC Dungeons is a strange callout, it isn't the deepest dungeon crawler but its super polished and feels good to play especially coop.
I kinda agree with this.

It sucks those guys (CDPR) are assholes, but I think Cyberpunk is amazing. And as I look at my stack of new games, can't say a lot of those are better, story and gameplay wise.

Shittiest people of the year, cool. Shittiest game? Nowhere near..

Oct 28, 2017
I think its a next gen game that CDPR tried to cram into the last gen systems for sales and that is backfiring on them.

That's absolutely not true. The game has been in development well before people knew about the PS5 or Xbox Series.

It is obvious what happened to the game. CDPR bit off more than their development teams could handle, feature creeped the fuck out of everything, tried to grind their development teams into the ground to get the game out in the same vein as Rockstar but are still the same developers who have put out buggy releases every single time. So they tried to put it out during the holiday period to get cash flow rolling and hoped their reputation would give them enough grace time to fix everything major. Obviously that didn't happen.

It isn't just the base consoles that are compromised, a lot of the systems on next gen and PC are super underbaked or non-existent.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
That's absolutely not true. The game has been in development well before people knew about the PS5 or Xbox Series.

It is obvious what happened to the game. CDPR bit off more than their development teams could handle, feature creeped the fuck out of everything, tried to grind their development teams into the ground to get the game out in the same vein as Rockstar but are still the same developers who have put out buggy releases every single time. So they tried to put it out during the holiday period to get cash flow rolling and hoped their reputation would give them enough grace time to fix everything major. Obviously that didn't happen.

It isn't just the base consoles that are compromised, a lot of the systems on next gen and PC are super underbaked or non-existent.
Yea, this is probably what exactly happened.

To the latter, while I still like the game a lot and it has been better playing on PS5, I have to agree with that as well. The money glitches and the crashes plague the game making the economy non-existent (but that's on whoever partakes).

Great game otherwise.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

From the first time I saw the game in that 2018 gameplay demo they put out (that was pulled from the private E3 demo they gave journalists that year), I was immediately concerned about how they possibly were going to scale down what I saw in that video to a PS4 or Xbox One - without either savagely cutting back on what made it incredible, or having the game run like absolute garbage. Even back then, I felt like it should have been next-gen/PC only.

And sure enough, it runs like garbage, and the IQ takes a massive hit.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I don't think Minecraft Dungeons deserves to be on the list by a long shot, but IMO, the main point of creating a game like Dungeons is a bit flawed. Part of what brought a lot of appeal to Minecraft was a. a simplistic world with zero plot elements and b. a focus on both combat and creation together being equal. Dungeons don't quite fit in with the paradigm of what made Minecraft so special, and while it might be an excellent dungeon crawler, it is not a good Minecraft game. (IMO they should have made a new IP rather than tie it into Minecraft)

His main point, which was that it has very little complexity is somewhat inaccurate, but it reflects someone that's confused on what kind of game Minecraft Dungeons was supposed to be, either a dungeon crawler or a Minecraft game (one of which is known for its accessibility and ease of play and the other is known for its complexity). I do not think it should be held in the same regard as something like Elite Squad or CP2077 at all, but it is a flawed product in terms of its conceptual idea.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DP2 is by far one of my biggest disappointments with not only a game but with a creator in years. Like Jim I really enjoyed DP1 even though I recognize it has A LOT of issues in regards to representation, but after actually making a game with good representation, a game where he actually consulted and listened to trans folks in The Missing he goes and makes completely transphobic garbage again in DP2.

Just gross all around.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how it's any less RPG than something like Mass Effect. Sounds like you might have just played in the prologue which is a bit linear?

Edit - nvm I remembered some of your posts saying you beat the game. I still don't see it being less of an RPG than Mass Effect though

I guess I mean more in the way that the Cyberpunk IP is a tabletop RPG, but even without that context, it is such a watered down RPG-LITE. There are no classes. Your life path is inconsequential outside of the introduction. Few decisions actually impact the story or have any influence on the game at all, just the illusion of choice. The Mass Effect series is similar in some ways, but there is a much larger focus on your choices (outside of ME3s ending). You can play the same major story chapter in Cyberpunk with different dialogue options, and get a different line in response with very little ripple effect in the story. This is an RPG in the most shallow sense, it has experience, stats, and a perk tree. It should have been much more than that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Why are so many getting worked up over an unremarkable Minecraft spin-off?

I suspect there wouldn't be that many folks 'worked up' if this was a list titled 'games I found disappointing'.

Making a 'shittiest games of 2020' list and inserting a game that is decidedly not shitty will always bring commentary.

But I'm also surprised there are so many comments in this thread complaining about complainers. Sterling has the right to share his opinions on any game, and forum members have the right to voice their opinions about his opinions as long as forum rules aren't violated :)

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
Me and my son played Dungeons through to completion, and started the next difficulty level and could barely scratch anything. It was weird, the normal was brain dead easy and the next step was impossible. The loot was boring, and in a Diablo game, what's the point if that's the case? We fell off quick.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes on the first play through but once it hits end game it grinds to a halt. Hence why the population is dead.

I don't get the hate either. People complain about it being gaas and not enough focus on sp, but in reality it's the other way around. They almost forgot about the gaas elements.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my son played Dungeons through to completion, and started the next difficulty level and could barely scratch anything. It was weird, the normal was brain dead easy and the next step was impossible. The loot was boring, and in a Diablo game, what's the point if that's the case? We fell off quick.

Yeah, that was largely my son's experience. It's not a bad game per se, just really, really dull. For a game aimed at kids (and their attention spans) that's probably a worse crime than being bad.

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
I had no idea what was happening with DP 2 and Swery. That is really disappointing and I hoped that Swery was better than that.

Also, these are Jim's opinions. You are free to disagree with them but calling them a baby or telling them that they're wrong isn't a valid form of criticism.

TentPole

Oct 28, 2017
Has Jim reviewed all of these? Usually he does individual reviews of the games on the list, and they are are hillarious for the really janky ones. I can't find one for hellpoint for example.

He had a hiddenHellpoint review in one of his other reviews. He states that he was slapping it on the end so he didn't have to make a dedicated review forHellpoint because he hates it. I wish I could remember which video that was...

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, these are Jim's opinions. You are free to disagree with them but calling them a baby or telling them that they're wrong isn't a valid form of criticism.
Feeding the toxic negativity in gaming by focussing on how games have under delivered during a pandemic is valid criticism imo.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't aware of that Elite Squad thing, that's crazy and blatant

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
1) The main point is that a 6/10 game probably does not belong on a "worst of 2020" list. Especially if there wasn't any hype behind it that may have lead to some massive disappointment or whatever, it feels cruel to add a possibly underwhelming, but otherwise decent indie to a "worst of" list.

It's their worst of 2020 list though. It is not "the most objectively worst game of 2020", it's "their worst game of 2020."

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But I'm also surprised there are so many comments in this thread complaining about complainers. Sterling has the right to share his opinions on any game, and forum members have the right to voice their opinions about his opinions as long as forum rules aren't violated :)
He had a hiddenHellpoint review in one of his other reviews. He states that he was slapping it on the end so he didn't have to make a dedicated review forHellpoint because he hates it. I wish I could remember which video that was...
Just a reminder that Jim goes by they/them pronouns.