Stat

Oct 25, 2017
no NHL in canada? crazy

it's a great game but keep hating on people's hard work i guess
Not surprising. Fortnite, and Warzone are free.

Anecdotally, NHL has lost a lot of players over the years. Content creators are struggling for viewers, and just finding a game is more difficult than ever.

I think gameplay wise the game is there, but the content in each mode is lacking and was full of bugs earlier this year in every mode but the Ultimate Team.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Lotsa strange concerns here. Games that require tons of time investment, by design, will have most hour played lol.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
How do you propose we get individual singleplayer games to be the most played titles of the year by time spent playing them without letting multiplayer games die? Either everyone who owns Spider-Man 2 has to 100% it twice a week for a year, or people who play these multiplayer games needs to play them on average for under half an hour a week.

Like I'm not making anything up, I'm just curious how you'd get the majority to play a 15 hour singleplayer game for more hours in a year than a multiplayer game which is updating on a consistent basis without people straight up not playing multiplayer games.

I never made a proposition for SP games to be on top?

It's just a grim reality that these gaas games meant to suck time and money from players are on top year over year lol it is what it is. It makes sense. It still sucks.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not disappointing nor surprising. This is pretty much exactly what I expected to see and I think that's fine.

None of these games strike me as a poor use of play time. I've done my fair share of COD, Fortnite and sports gaming (not football tho) and have no regrets about it.

Even though there are years where my playtime in any of those categories outweighs my play time in a lot of single player games, I still end up valuing single player games more. None of these go down as my personal GOTY pretty much ever.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
...Your avatar is literally a character from Honkai: Star Rail, a game that I love, but is 100% also super predatory lol
I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't enjoy these games. I've played and enjoyed my share of predatory multiplayer/f2p games. I just wish they weren't so massively popular to the point where they dwarf literally every other kind of game. They basically define gaming and what games are for most people now.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't enjoy these games. I've played and enjoyed my share of predatory multiplayer/f2p games. I just wish they weren't so massively popular to the point where they dwarf literally every other kind of game. They basically define gaming and what games are for most people now.

But they will ALWAYS be, that's the thing. They will never not be the most played games, that is literally how they are designed.

I said it in earlier in the thread but it bears repeating, even if say everyone who is counted towards this played the game Dredge for example to completion, that game would still never top any of these lists, cause it's not the type of game to be played for potentially hundreds of hours.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
I can proudly say that I don't play any of these casual games. (USA)

Can't wait for GTA VI single player though!

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Good list, and it's great display that PlayStation gamers have exactly the same taste in games as everyone else. Enjoying games that can be played on and with other platforms as well.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Exactly what I expected. Man most kids (I work at school) only play these 3 games.

When you bring up, for instance, Ratchet & Clank, they haven't got a clue.

Really interested in the Switch top 3 though, seems to me this will be quite different.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
This belongs in the Louvre.

The term used to describe those games in the post above has lost all meaning and its use in serious discussion should always be questioned.
Not really, Iwata purposely made the distinction between casual and non-games when they finally made hits again with their gimmick heavy platforms and games.

CenaToon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Your avatar is literally a character from Honkai: Star Rail, a game that I love, but is 100% also super predatory lol

We all can have a good talk about the practices of gacha games and how many shady practices those have. But honkai star rail is probably the last example one can point to put the discussion into the table lol (at contrary, honkai star rail gacha and montetization should be an example to follow to other shady gacha games like... all of Square Enix)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
We all can have a good talk about the practices of gacha games and how many shady practices those have. But honkai star rail is probably the last example one can point to put the discussion into the table lol (at contrary, honkai star rail gacha and montetization should be an example to follow to other shady gacha games like... all of Square Enix)

I mean... It's objectively worse though?

Like compare Honkai Star Rail to CoD and Fortnite. Yes, the later both have expensive bundles in their stories for cosmetics... But that's ultimately it, they sell cosmetics. You don't need to gamble in CoD or Fortnite to unlock a new weapon or a character with a unique ability.

They don't have you literally have to gamble to unlock new characters. That will always make it worse than any game that just has a bunch of cosmetics on the store. Also Star Rail and Genshin both have some of the lowest rates for getting 5 star characters in the entire gacha industry.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a surprise given the best playstation exclusives are like 30 hours and your done. Obviously they're not going to chart here.

CenaToon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... It's objectively worse though?

Like compare Honkai Star Rail to CoD and Fortnite. Yes, the later both have expensive bundles in their stories for cosmetics... But that's ultimately it, they sell cosmetics. You don't need to gamble in CoD or Fortnite to unlock a new weapon or a character with a unique ability.

They don't have you literally have to gamble to unlock new characters. That will always make it worse than any game that just has a bunch of cosmetics on the store.

Worse than cod and fornite? Yeah, but i think you understimate the "cosmetic" aspect of those games. Fornite and CoD dont make billions every year by just selling "unnecesary cosmetics", since the whole culture around those (specially fornite) is having the last skin or the last dance or whatever.

It's the same with honkai star rail, i dont need the "weapon or character with unique abilities" to complete the high-end content (and i can say it with confidence because i am day 1 player, only spend 5 bucks/month in the daily pass), because the game is very good optimized you can clear it with wathever the game gives you, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Also, if you play the game like you say you do, the bold part is also not completely true. You can get a good character without gambling, not all of them sure.

Like i said in my post, all gacha games (fornite and cod are not gachas) should take HSR example, because that's the right direction in a genre we dont it wont dissapear wathever we want or not.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Worse than cod and fornite? Yeah, but i think you understimate the "cosmetic" aspect of those games. Fornite and CoD dont make billions every year by just selling "unnecesary cosmetics", since the whole culture around those (specially fornite) is having the last skin or the last dance or whatever.

As opposed the Gacha culture of needing the latest and greatest character? They all relying on FOMO. Like, Star Rail literally designs it story to focus on whatever the big 5 star character at the time is, so they want you to roll on them and go for them. Do you think it's a happened chance that they released the story that focuses on Topaz just as Topaz released or Ruan Mei when she released?

Like hell you wanna FOMO?

Unlike most Gacha games which when after a character is released, they get put into a general pool so you can unlock them at any time... basically every character with the very rare exceptions are all time limited characters who you can ONLY unlock during their banners and never at any other time. That is maximum FOMO, most other Gachas only do that for seasonal event characters.

It's the same with honkai star rail, i dont need the "weapon or character with unique abilities" to complete the high-end content (and i can say it with confidence because i am day 1 player, only spend 5 bucks/month in the daily pass), because the game is very good optimized you can clear it with wathever the game gives you, with 1 or 2 exceptions.

Just because you can do good as a F2P/low spender player, doesn't suddenly mean the game isn't still being super predatory, every game that is super predatory will always have examples of people who either never pay or pay very little who manage to get lucky and are able to scoot by. Ignoring all the other people who didn't get lucky and end up having to pull out their wallets.

Also, if you play the game like you say you do, the bold part is also not completely true. You can get a good character without gambling, not all of them sure.

Like i said in my post, all gacha games (fornite and cod are not gachas) should take HSR example, because that's the right direction in a genre we dont it wont dissapear wathever we want or not.

Again, no, they should not. Taking HSR as a "good" example of a gacha would mean other games adopting some of the lowest rates in the genre. Like... That's part of why Genshin and HSR make so much money, cause the chance of you getting a 5 star character is noticeably lower than most other Gacha games. It's why you often end up having to get to 60-70 rolls to get the "soft pity", only to you know, potentially lose the 50-50. And then that's on top of the fact that every character with a few exceptions are time limited.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
The cosmetics are by definition, completely optional and unnecessary no matter the culture around them.

CenaToon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, no, they should not. Taking HSR as a "good" example of a gacha would mean other games adopting some of the lowest rates in the genre. Like... That's part of why Genshin and HSR make so much money, cause the chance of you getting a 5 star character is noticeably lower than most other Gacha games. It's why you often end up having to get to 60-70 rolls to get the "soft pity", only to you know, potentially lose the 50-50. And then that's on top of the fact that every character with a few exceptions are time limited.

In HSR with a max of 180 pulls you get the unit you want and that's it. In any other gacha game, it could take double or triple of that until you get the unit. How can that be worse than the system that HSR offers?

Also, you forgot to mention that both pitys ("soft" and "hard") transfers between banners, so if you want to pull for one unit just to test your luck and dont get the unit, doesnt matter, because your pull count transfers to future banners, probably the banner you really want to get. One way or another, you dont left empty handed, you can't say that 100% sure in other gacha games.

I prefer HSR system any time than any other system than current gacha games with a global version in the market.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In HSR with a max of 180 pulls you get the unit you want and that's it. In any other gacha game, it could take double or triple of that until you get the unit. How can that be worse than the system that HSR offers?

Again, Genshin and Star Rail have a base rate of 0.6% to get a 5 star character. That is absurdly low, and basically will force you to always reach soft pity before you even have a chance in hell before you can get the character.

In something like their direct competitor, Nikke, you got a 4% chance to get a 5 star and 2% chance to get that banner character. May not sound like it's that different but often times that means you will get the character far far sooner than you would in either Hoyoverse games.

Again, Star Rail and Genshin are considered very low even for the genre.

Also, you forgot to mention that both pitys ("soft" and "hard") transfers between banners, so if you want to pull for one unit just to test your luck and dont get the unit, doesnt matter, because your pull count transfers to future banners, probably the banner you really want to get. One way or another, you dont left empty handed, you can't say that 100% sure in other gacha games.

I mean, once again that pity system isn't even that great against something like Nikke where you get Gold Tickets for every time you run the limited banner and even if you get the character you still get those tickets and then can save them and spend them on which ever upcoming character you want. You don't need to worry about "wasting" a pity on a character you aren't as interested in.

I prefer HSR system any time than any other system than current gacha games with a global version in the market.

I see you kind of ignored every other point, which to me at least seems to indicate you just sort of shrug off all the other ways their system sucks.

Hoyoverse makes really fun games but they are known for being one of the least generous compared to most. It's why their games are known for having the worst celebration events cause they will give you absolute scraps. Hell, them giving players Dr Ratio next banner for free in Star Rail is considered legit strange behavior for the company cause they are 99% more stingy about being generous to their playerbase than many other developers in the genre.

Not to mention that their "Duplicate" system hides potentially game-changing perks for some characters behind them, which is insane. Most games a dupe might give the character a flat power up, but never hiding entire perks behind getting a duplicate.

QitQatQudi

Jul 26, 2018
I think Fortnite in particular is a straight up bad game
Fornite is a great game? Especially how they evolved their game over the years and keep pumping out content which are all free to access (aside from cosmetics obviously).
Now with the inclusion of Fortnite Lego, Rocket Racing and Festival its an incredible package of a game free of charge.

People are sleeping on this game because all they assocticate it with Battle Royal which is not the case anymore.

CenaToon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, Genshin and Star Rail have a base rate of 0.6% to get a 5 star character. That is absurdly low, and basically will force you to always reach soft pity before you even have a chance in hell before you can get the character.

In something like their direct competitor, Nikke, you got a 4% chance to get a 5 star and 2% chance to get that banner character. May not sound like it's that different but often times that means you will get the character far far sooner than you would in either Hoyoverse games.

Again, Star Rail and Genshin are considered very low even for the genre.

I mean, once again that pity system isn't even that great against something like Nikke where you get Gold Tickets for every time you run the limited banner and even if you get the character you still get those tickets and then can save them and spend them on which ever upcoming character you want. You don't need to worry about "wasting" a pity on a character you aren't as interested in.

I see you kind of ignored every other point, which to me at least seems to indicate you just sort of shrug off all the other ways their system sucks.

Hoyoverse makes really fun games but they are known for being one of the least generous compared to most. It's why their games are known for having the worst celebration events cause they will give you absolute scraps. Hell, them giving players Dr Ratio next banner for free in Star Rail is considered legit strange behavior for the company cause they are 99% more stingy about being generous to their playerbase than many other developers in the genre.

Not to mention that their "Duplicate" system hides potentially game-changing perks for some characters behind them, which is insane. Most games a dupe might give the character a flat power up, but never hiding entire perks behind getting a duplicate.

I didnt ignore it, i played a good amount of gacha games since 2016 and with honkai star rail i've felt that i wasted my efforts pulling like other games.

What you say about the events is true... for genshin impact, with honkai star rail (that is the game we are discussing) they have corrected a lot of things they made (and still do) in genshin impact. There's a reason why genshin players are so salty for their events compared with HSR.

In the end, we have to agree to disagree then. I like HSR pull system, and i think is better than all the gacha i've played. Obviously that is also binded to the amont of free stuff the game offers between versions, the pity system works for me because you can get 100+ free pulls between versions. Over time, if the game starts to give less free stuff, well then obviously i will have to rethink my opinion, but that's a discussion i'd happily had when that happens.

Astronomer

Aug 22, 2019
It was obvious but still, gamerz bubble around the forums, keep saying that consoles are sold for exclusives title. Sure..(10% maybe)
In Japan maybe since Gunshin impact is not on every platform.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Fornite is a great game? Especially how they evolved their game over the years and keep pumping out content which are all free to access (aside from cosmetics obviously).
Now with the inclusion of Fortnite Lego, Rocket Racing and Festival its an incredible package of a game free of charge.

People are sleeping on this game because all they assocticate it with Battle Royal which is not the case anymore.

The support for the game as a GAAS is indeed excellent. I just hate the main mechanics of the game, especially the shooting.