• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.
Oct 27, 2017
This showcase doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. It hit some bad notes, but there were games and the PS5 is a juggernaut. It's really bubbles like era that are way too fixated on it. It's obvious they have games coming but making a make good showcase is just not what a company would do.

Oct 27, 2017
It would be an odd strategy to put out an intentionally crappy showcase (from a first-party perspective) with the idea of doing another one later in the year. I would think having one big event that gets everyone talking would be the better strategy, especially when it's their first big show in nearly 2 years.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
They can just do a SoP or announce it in a blog post.

They could. Then again they had hardware announcements in this Showcase and we know more are rumored with the PS5 revision and new headset. There are still very big games we know are getting reveals this year like TLOU MP. Maybe they show up at SGF, but I'm sticking to the second Showcase theory.

gimp

Banned
May 24, 2023
This showcase doesn't even matter in the grand scheme of things. It hit some bad notes, but there were games and the PS5 is a juggernaut. It's really bubbles like era that are way too fixated on it. It's obvious they have games coming but making a make good showcase is just not what a company would do.

You say Era is a bubble, and it can be, but the general consensus over the entire Internet including places like Twitter and Reddit is one of immense dissapointment. There's a reason why Jim popped up to make that defensive statement yesterday

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I always assumed FFVIIR-2 stuff is being held back until after XVI, it's apparently still on track for 2023

PC Ports I understand not showing it's specifically a PS hardware event

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
This has happened numerous times in the past, so I believe it.
These showings tend to get switched around pretty last minute.

Eh, it's fine, I'm sure more good stuff will pop up during SGF.

Godot25

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2023
So let me get this straight
They have first-party trailers ready...and instead of TLOU Factions/Death Stranding 2 (for example), they showed CGI trailer for Fairgames that did not even got release year? And CGI trailer for Marathon that did not get release year? And CGI trailer for Concord that at least got release year for 2024?

I'm skeptical tbh.

Jammerz

Banned
Apr 29, 2023
Would be nice if the PC port was GT7 since that was in the Nvidia leak.
Will be interesting if they did GT7.

There are some folks who primarily play racing games and who only get a PS5 for GT7 as most racing games(especially more sim leaning) are preferred on PC. So you could end up losing some folks completely.

There are streamers who play this every day and probably are free advertisement to some extent for people to get a PS5.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
They can redeem themselves by having a 20-25 min showcasing purely focusing on first party content but one things for sure, this showcase has completely ruined any expectations I have for future events. I don't think I'll ever be hyped again, will be super cautious.
This is the biggest blunder imho. If there was one thing you could rely on it was that a Sony showcase delivers in some way or another. They tarnished that. These used to be "must watch" streams, but this one honestly changed that for me.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
To be fair, this is totally normal. I imagine that Sony, MS AND Nintendo all have trailers that get pulled at the last minute. This shouldn't surprise anybody.

gimp

Banned
May 24, 2023
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Account in Junior Phase
FxCyax5WAAERhOf

The Snitch is the guy who views stuff set to private in the YouTube backend. He hasn't seen anything, and neither has Tom H.

I am enjoying the "second showcase" conspiracy that PS fans are now desperately running with. Very funny

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
So let me get this straight
They have first-party trailers ready...and instead of TLOU Factions/Death Stranding 2 (for example), they showed CGI trailer for Fairgames that did not even got release year? And CGI trailer for Marathon that did not get release year? And CGI trailer for Concord that at least got release year for 2024?

I'm skeptical tbh.
The thing is, Snitch is 99.9% seeing things uploaded to youtube as an employee, so if he says he saw stuff (and is sourcing it for Henderson)... Then it exists.

Pelota

Sep 6, 2021
Team Second Showcase 2023 assemble!

A second Showcase around August or September is what I'm going with.

I'm not sure about that one. In August you got Bungie Showcase. Then you'll have a State of Play focused around Spider-Man that will release in September

My guess is October or November.

Godot25

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2023
The thing is, Snitch is 99.9% seeing things through the youtube backend, so if he says he saw stuff (and is sourcing it for Henderson)... Then it exists.
But it does not make any sense at all.
If trailers were already made, what was the issue of including them in showcase? It's not like Sony was time constrained and they had to cut stuff out from showcase. If they wanted, they could make Showcase 1,5 hours long no problem.

Like. I get for example keeping PC port of your old exclusive to Geoff for example. But your own new first-party stuff? Come on.
Now we even have conspiracy theories, that Sony kept first-party games from showcase to "wait for Microsoft's showcase in June." What?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
They can redeem themselves by having a 20-25 min showcasing purely focusing on first party content but one things for sure, this showcase has completely ruined any expectations I have for future events. I don't think I'll ever be hyped again, will be super cautious.

I think having "hype" for these events is not helpful at the best of times, TBF. People keep talking about an E3 event that was 7 years ago, as if it was a normal event for Sony. They have not had a showcase for 2 years before this week and their E3 track record leading up to them just giving up entirely was strange, to say the least. That show with the flutes etc.

Even with the State of Plays, I see people massively hyping them up, basically listing everything they know about 1st party studios and then get disappointed when the games they are making, that take 5/6 years to build, don't turn up.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I was a bit disappointed too but people are placing way too much importance on that showcase.

I always assumed FFVIIR-2 stuff is being held back until after XVI, it's apparently still on track for 2023
I reckon they start ramping up later this year for a February/March release next year.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I believe this purely because he wasn't up there with all the other """"""""""""insiders"""""""""""" hyping up this showcase

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, i don't believe insiders anymore.

Keighley likely will show DS2 trailer and announcements of next Sony PC ports. That's it. Everyone can guess that without being ''insider''.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
The thing is, Snitch is 99.9% seeing things uploaded to youtube as an employee, so if he says he saw stuff (and is sourcing it for Henderson)... Then it exists.

Asking because I know nothing about this: is it normal for big companies to upload their trailers to Youtube weeks before publishing them? I would have thought it would be much closer precisely to avoid leaks.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
But it does not make any sense at all.
If trailers were already made, what was the issue of including them in showcase? It's not like Sony was time constrained and they had to cut stuff out from showcase. If they wanted, they could make Showcase 1,5 hours long no problem.

Like. I get for example keeping PC port of your old exclusive to Geoff for example. But your own new first-party stuff? Come on.
Now we even have conspiracy theories, that Sony kept first-party games from showcase to "wait for Microsoft's showcase in June." What?
Like yeah, it makes no sense, but because of the way Snitch works, I believe it exists ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
My guess? If Sony indeed pulled some stuff to do a second showcase, it would be for the sole purpose of trying to throw a wrench at whatever momentum Microsoft gets from their Xbox showcase soon.

Remember how they were constantly playing chicken with each other in regards to the actual pricing of their consoles about three years back?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
You say Era is a bubble, and it can be, but the general consensus over the entire Internet including places like Twitter and Reddit is one of immense dissapointment. There's a reason why Jim popped up to make that defensive statement yesterday

We must read different sites then.

Among the non-hardcore crowd people were very happy with the show overall. Especially about Spider-Man 2.

That fanboy console warriors on twitter and reddit aren't thrilled with indie games and cgi trailers isn't that strange. They thought we would get TLOU Factions and at least 2-3 other big AAA sony 1st party titles.

But the fanboys are always unhappy and moaning a day later when the next showcase will be shown.

As others have already said, for sony this is very cut and dry. They have two of the biggest titles of the year coming up exclusively for their console many, many great indies, A-AAA titles + VR.

If we don't get anything until Q1. 2024 we can start to get pissy.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure about that one. In August you got Bungie Showcase. Then you'll have a State of Play focused around Spider-Man that will release in September

My guess is October or November.

I think August or September lets them do the Spider-Man 2 launch trailer. I don't think there is a dedicated SoP, just like we didn't get one for Ragnarok. Plus it lets them announce the PS5 revision and the Spider-Man 2 game bundle all at once.

Then toss on TLOU MP, FF Rebirth, Stellar Blade, the new CoD game, Avatar Frontiers of Pandora, and some other games and you've got the foundation of a solid second Showcase to build around.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no more showcase this year.

If anything, they will have their usual SOP and sprinkle whatever is left between Summer Gaming and the former.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
DS2 and a PC port at SGF is not that outlandish I would say that it has a pretty high chance even.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I could see Sony wanting their new studios to get the spot light and not be overshadowed by announcements from their bigger studios but CGI teasers aren't how you show off new IP.

But I think these "insiders" are just saving face.

Ultimately while I was disappointed by the showcase on a personal level most of the world is just talking about how amazing SM2 looked.

I think some are overselling the negative affect this will have on PlayStation.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Could be in for another PS showcase later in the year (fingers corssed) or they are going to have a banger showcase in 2024 and let FFXVI, Spider-Man 2 and 3rd Party do the heavy lifting for the rest of this year.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't believe that for a second.

If he knows some games that are supposed to be announced he would leak it yhr second he knew.

He has a entire website for leaks and he not saying what games they are?

This is a fair point. If he's seen trailers for unannounced games that weren't shown then he should just tell us what they are and what they're like.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Not showing Factions could be because there simply wasn't room for it. They might want to do something focused on that. A mini SOP with 25 minutes only showing factions and having the devs talk about it.