• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 30, 2018
This game will do much better on Switch because

1) it's on a healthy system instead of a dead one
2) people living with others can play it on a handheld without shame. It was too weeb to be played on a TV with family potentially walking in, and this is from a weeb who watches anime unabashedly in his living room

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Yeeeeess. I never lost hope! Now just Xenoblade X and all Wii U games I wanted that I never got to play will be at my fingertips.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
Also I wouldn't go into this expecting "Nintendo Persona", there are light similarities (Students, each with a Spirit, being SMT related) but appearances is where the similarities end. You aren't really balancing your schedule and you aren't really spending much time with your team members outside the regular story beats and maybe a side-mission here and there.
I mean it's just a really streamlined version of Persona with the calendar mechanic (which thus other Persona mechanics rely on). Instead of the Persona social links, you just have side quests/event performa that aren't tied down on how much time you spend with characters. The combat is very much the Persona/SMT system with a bit of its own flavor. Your FE Persona and their weapon is a simpler version of demon fusing. The dungeon/mission structure is very much Persona/SMT.

The calendar/choice mechanic and all the systems that revolve around it are what make Persona, Persona but the battle mechanics and other aspects are a huge part of that game too. So it all depends on what you're looking for.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Very cool announcement. I reckon a couple new Fire Emblem fans will download this in January and be pretty confused, though.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
So whats the story with this game?
I like FE, and I like SMT, and this game is apparently neither?
At a glance it looks similar to Persona, and I like Persona a lot too.
Is it worth my time?

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Interesting, the eshop page already has the file size, so the game is finished they're just holding on to it until January

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Since I've seen a lot of people asking "what is this game like?" and "is this actually good?" I'll post my thoughts as someone who enjoyed the game and played on Hard Mode.

First off, no it's not Persona and no it's definitely not FE, so don't come in expecting that. This is a megaten game at heart and plays like one. The FE stuff is pretty much window dressing, so if you're more here for the FE than the SMT this may not be for you.

As for the gameplay, it's pretty great and uses the "explot the enemy weakness" system you'll be familiar with if you've played a Persona or SMT game, just with it's own twist. Instead of getting extra turns or knockdowns for exploiting a weakness, you get to follow up with a session attack which can also trigger another session attack, and another, and another, up to one for each of your party members if you've set up your movepools correctly, and even more once you unlock unique abilities later in the game. However, like in every megaten game the enemies can use this against you as well, and if that happens, things can go south very quickly. On Hard Mode, this game is actually pretty fucking hard and you'll be definitely be feeling the enemies annihilating you by chaining sessions together and barely giving you a chance to retaliate if you don't stop them as quickly as possible. So uh, only play Hard Mode if you're ready for a challenge. If you're more into RPGs or are like me and enjoy a challenge you'll probably really like it though. Bosses are especially great.

Most of the game is spent inside fairly large dungeons which I enjoyed and I'd imagine fans of SMT games will enjoy, but they can be long and tiring if that's not really your thing. After each dungeon you'll get an intermission to work on sidestories which are similar to social links but involve side quests like "go find this person", "go kill this boss", or the awful "go kill 5 of this enemy". Outside of the dumb grindy ones these are mostly pretty enjoyable and serve to flesh out the characters, plus they give pretty powerful abilities for use in battle so I'd recommend doing them.

Story-wise, I'll be blunt: it's bad. Early on they hint at some overarching evil scheme or something going on in the background but it never really amounts to much. Nothing really happens until like 3/4ths of the way through the game at which point they basically recycle an old FE plotline lol. So if you want a persona-level story or something, don't get your hopes up.

Character-wise, it's a mixed bag, some characters like Tsubasa and Kiria are cool, but then you have really one note characters like Hollywood girl (legit cant even remember her name lol) and Barry who I don't even know why he exists. Also Itsuki the protagonist isn't silent but he might as well be because he's as bland and vanilla as they come.

Lastly about the pop idol stuff, yes the game is super weeby and leans heavy into the idol stuff, if that's a turn off for you stay away. As someone who isn't into idol stuff (but also isn't against it) it didn't bother me but I can definitely see it bothering some people. Like, the game literally rewards you for doing sidequests with animated idol performances, which I thought was cool cause it worked with the theming of the game but might be over the top for others.

TL;DR, good game, more SMT than Persona/FE, come for the gameplay first, yes it's hella weeb.

Edit: even if you're not into jpop, the soundtrack is pretty good imo

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Only got to the first area in this game so I never got to play it much but,I'll definitely revisit it in January.

Lirose

May 30, 2018
This game was so much fun. I hope it does well on Switch and then maybe we could see a sequel in the future.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
So just to make sure, there's no time management like in Persona or FE: Three Houses? I would say that's my most hated parts of those games but if this game doesn't have that then I'm all in.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So whats the story with this game?
I like FE, and I like SMT, and this game is apparently neither?
At a glance it looks similar to Persona, and I like Persona a lot too.
Is it worth my time?

Basically persona lite with a bigger emphasis on music. I loved it, and it did some stuff better than p5 imo(like the texting system is just soo much better).

It's personally probably my favorite game on wii u, so I'd reccomend it especially if you're a fan of persona. Personally, I'm super hyped its coming to switch. I was legit starting to lose hope.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The eshop lists English but I'm sure that just means English subtitles right? The original didn't have an English dub, and I'm not trying my hopes up, but that would be pretty cool!
Yeah, it likely just means subtitles since they probably would have announced the addition of a new dub in the reveal trailer. I'm almost definitely still getting it so that I don't have to wheel out my old system but I agree I really wanted a dub for this back then.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I was so pumped when I heard the music kick in for Mirage Sessions since I was driving home at the time. Mirage Sessions is probably my favorite game on the Wii U.

The story like many have said, is not good, and basically just a vehicle for the RPG systems & combat. It is a Megami Tensei game in the combat, but rather than capturing other demons, you have a "Persona" which is a Fire Emblem character counterpart. You build your team out so you can cover all enemy weaknesses & chain together combos. The music is actually pretty damn good imo, and I've never been actively into JPop. The aesthetic of the game is great, and the characters are reasonably likable (a little hit & miss b/c of just how tropey some of them are).

Seeing some of the previously unplayable characters in combat made me so excited & I will definitely be buying this on release. Thank you Nintendo & Atlus <3 (now show me SMT V at TGS)

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Since I've seen a lot of people asking "what is this game like?" and "is this actually good?" I'll post my thoughts as someone who enjoyed the game and played on Hard Mode.

First off, no it's not Persona and no it's definitely not FE, so don't come in expecting that. This is a megaten game at heart and plays like one. The FE stuff is pretty much window dressing, so if you're more here for the FE than the SMT this may not be for you.

As for the gameplay, it's pretty great and uses the "explot the enemy weakness" system you'll be familiar with if you've played a Persona or SMT game, just with it's own twist. Instead of getting extra turns or knockdowns for exploiting a weakness, you get to follow up with a session attack which can also trigger another session attack, and another, and another, up to one for each of your party members if you've set up your movepools correctly, and even more once you unlock unique abilities later in the game. However, like in every megaten game the enemies can use this against you as well, and if that happens, things can go south very quickly. On Hard Mode, this game is actually pretty fucking hard and you'll be definitely be feeling the enemies annihilating you by chaining sessions together and barely giving you a chance to retaliate if you don't stop them as quickly as possible. So uh, only play Hard Mode if you're ready for a challenge. If you're more into RPGs or are like me and enjoy a challenge you'll probably really like it though. Bosses are especially great.

Most of the game is spent inside fairly large dungeons which I enjoyed and I'd imagine fans of SMT games will enjoy, but they can be long and tiring if that's not really your thing. After each dungeon you'll get an intermission to work on sidestories which are similar to social links but involve side quests like "go find this person", "go kill this boss", or the awful "go kill 5 of this enemy". Outside of the dumb grindy ones these are mostly pretty enjoyable and serve to flesh out the characters, plus they give pretty powerful abilities for use in battle so I'd recommend doing them.

Story-wise, I'll be blunt: it's bad. Early on they hint at some overarching evil scheme or something going on in the background but it never really amounts to much. Nothing really happens until like 3/4ths of the way through the game at which point they basically recycle an old FE plotline lol. So if you want a persona-level story or something, don't get your hopes up.

Character-wise, it's a mixed bag, some characters like Tsubasa and Kiria are cool, but then you have really one note characters like Hollywood girl (legit cant even remember her name lol) and Barry who I don't even know why he exists. Also Itsuki the protagonist isn't silent but he might as well be because he's as bland and vanilla as they come.

Lastly about the pop idol stuff, yes the game is super weeby and leans heavy into the idol stuff, if that's a turn off for you stay away. As someone who isn't into idol stuff (but also isn't against it) it didn't bother me but I can definitely see it bothering some people. Like, the game literally rewards you for doing sidequests with animated idol performances, which I thought was cool cause it worked with the theming of the game but might be over the top for others.

TL;DR, good game, more SMT than Persona/FE, come for the gameplay first, yes it's hella weeb.

Edit: even if you're not into jpop, the soundtrack is pretty good imo
Barry is a homage to a western musician who retired to Japan after enjoying the culture. I think it's a reference to a megadeath guitarist in particular

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Barry is a homage to a western musician who retired to Japan after enjoying the culture. I think it's a reference to a megadeath guitarist in particular

Yea but gameplay wise, well, he's not playable so there's nothing going for him there, character wise he's basically a walking neckbeard otaku joke, and story wise he serves no real purpose. There's not much reason for him to exist.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
RE-IN-CAR-NATION

Oh oooooooh

RE-IN-CAR-NATION

Good. This game deserves a second change.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This was easily the top want for me going into this Direct. So glad we actually got that, as well as all the other great stuff in this Direct.

Poyon

Mar 26, 2019
This was one of the WiiU I was most hoping would get a switch port. Super excited to finally get a chance to play it!

always love crossing off games from this pic

cgvqa9z14f1uhvjdtcopysbj5b.png
Biggest one left for me isn't Pikmin 3. I'd actually love a Pikmin collection for the switch.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yea but gameplay wise, well, he's not playable so there's nothing going for him there, character wise he's basically a walking neckbeard otaku joke, and story wise he serves no real purpose. There's not much reason for him to exist.
Well looks like he is this time which is awesome

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017
I mean his story arc is why another party member joins your active party. You can think that story is dumb, but him serving a purpose in that plot point is a fact.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Sadly it will be 60$ but still day 1!

I hope there is no dub so everyone will have to listen to inori Minase and learn to appreciate her.

#SubsOverDubs

Here's some hope that is the uncut Japanese ver instead of the western one.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Neat. This was on my "pick up if I see at a discount" shortlist but I'll just grab the port instead.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sadly it will be 60$ but still day 1!

I hope there is no dub so everyone will have to listen to inori Minase and learn to appreciate her.

#SubsOverDubs

Here's some hope that is the uncut Japanese ver instead of the western one.
geez i hate this mentality .. having options are great

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
I never got this on Wii U, but I have been curious about it over the past few years and thought of picking it up. Glad I waited and can just grab it on Switch instead!

megachao24

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get this back during the Wii U days, might get it this time around if it's uncut, or at least mostly uncut.

An English dub would be nice too. Pull a Love Live if you have to Nintendo!

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Can't read Japanese, but it seems like the new boxart was based on this old drawing that toi8 had drawn it years ago.