• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Thanks! Would be nice to get some more classic remasters.

Yeah, that's the advantage of that medium. As long as negatives are in good shape and the studio is willing to spend the money, you can get nice looking stuff.

Stuff like early Heisei Rider stuff shot on video (1080i, I think?) just can't be made to be as good looking as if it was shot on film.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the advantage of that medium. As long as negatives are in good shape and the studio is willing to spend the money, you can get nice looking stuff.

Stuff like early Heisei Rider stuff shot on video (1080i, I think?) just can't be made to be as good looking as if it was shot on film.
Starting with Kuuga they shot in a 1080i digital format but still mastered the show at 480. A real HD remaster would be a huge undertaking.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually watching Carranger now. Show's pretty good! For as silly as it gets it can be legit charming, and the cast feels better developed than some more serious shows.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone has posted this already, right? An interview with Rider 2's actor about the original series and some related questions.

The subs are oddly bad though, missing stuff and even wrong at times. Anyway, according to that interview, the idea for Rider's transformation pose apparently came from a sumo series which became popular after it added a bunch of extraneous movements for entrances and special attacks.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 34

This episode's writing is pretty messy, as always, but hey, still plot progression in a way that makes sense.

I fear that Master Logos will be the Big Bad and we'll get 10+ episodes of him just being all-powerful against the swordsmen or something, but let's see.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Kaito and Zox have a better primary/secondary relationship than a lot of Kamen Rider shows. Really loved their dynamic in episode 10. Zenkaiger is a winning follow-up to Kiramager with a surprisingly considered meta-plot

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017

Bandai sales numbers. Kamen Rider is still doing great, Sentai still declining, Ultraman up in a big way.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
This is neat: a paraplegic Toku hero getting a 3-episode mini in the summer!

moZt4V7.jpg

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Saw Twitter say Ultraman has a meteoric rise, still lower than almost everything. Damn it is so god damn sad. Edit: Let's hope Tiga's son can keep the momentum.

Why does Sentai number keep getting worse? The toys too expensive?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think at this point it's a vicious cycle. Numbers fell for several years, stores don't order much, Bandai also has simplified and cut down the toyline since they aren't expecting much either. There's also how the mecha used to be a huge part of Sentai's toyline, but in the last few years it has competition with another mecha toyline for children for the first time since the 90s, with the Shinkalion series and other related ones that run in the same timeslot, like Earth Granner.

You can also see the show itself has taken a huge hit in budget in the last two years and they don't even have budget for actual unique monsters every week anymore, just the same few suits with replacement heads/weapons. I'd also guess that going full comedy series doesn't help selling what are supposed to be cool mecha and roleplay toys. Even "serious" series like Ryusoulger and Lupat are mostly comedy outside of the main story episodes. And then you have Kiramager and Zenkaiger going even harder on comedy.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Was battle fever j filmed on film or something? Why does this look so clean?

I'm actually kind of surprised Team Kikaider or whoever never got the rights to the old subs of Battle Fever J that aired in Hawaii on KIKU. Probably pricey because of the PR license I guess.

Wasn't Super Sentai getting like absolutely destroyed by Pokemon in the timeslot? That was a while ago so maybe not anymore.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017

Oh man, if subs just stopped without us getting some way to watch Rider/Sentai that would suuuck. That said, this has always been a ticking time bomb.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I know it's completely unrealistic, but I'd love it if Toei just paid the fansubbers for their scripts and dumped the whole KR franchise on Netflix, Prime or D+ in Europe and the UK.

It's weird to see every D-list anime or K drama get snapped up while a cult franchise like KR languishes in relative obscurity. At least things are picking up in the US.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I have always felt that the moment Toei decided to actually appeal to viewers in America, the first thing to go would have been the fansub groups.

I guess they could just release the subs, while letting fans hunt for the raw video files.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Super Sentai getting like absolutely destroyed by Pokemon in the timeslot? That was a while ago so maybe not anymore.
You're thinking of the Pokemon variety show that premiered midway through Boukenger's run and absolutely did correlate with a sudden drop-off in ratings. But that was almost 15 years ago now so isn't a factor anymore.
I don't think there's a simple explanation. Sentai sales used to be on-par with, or even surpassing, Rider, but that hit a toy boom starting with W, getting substantially better from there, and basically never looking back. Sentai certainly wasn't starving when that happened, as it correlated with some of the best-selling recent series, but then just kind of started falling off a cliff. Ninninger was a bust, Zyuohger really wasn't any better, and I feel like Bandai started getting way too reactionary at that point. Kyuranger by all regards should have been regarded as a relative hit, it got a decent little sales bump; but it was still below targets so nothing that contributed to its success was retained, Lupin vs Pat bombed, they panicked and did another dinosaur Sentai only 6 years after Kyoryuger, that bombed even worse. And now they've basically given up. Playing to lower expectations with smaller toylines. Kira if anything was maybe trying to appeal to the younger end of the demographic because you went from stuff like KishiryuOh's infinite possibilities to a very simple main robot etc. Zenkaiger's toyline feels like it's gotten even smaller and they're praying the gears sell well.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe sentai can't pull the adult buyer for the toy. I was gonna say make Sentai a bit darker, but your average KR is not even that dark, so the problem is not really on that front. Maybe the perspective that Sentai skews younger and the dwindle younger demographic?

Also, I really don't think the Mecha gimmick helping them anymore, more like a burden with all the miniature/CG work, also the toy usually not even good anymore. Maybe scrap the mech and giant monster and focus more on the henshin gimmick? I know people will saying, then they just become a 5 KR team, but KR has random 1 of mechs, giant monster anyway, it's not like KR afraid of treading on Sentai.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
Maybe sentai can't pull the adult buyer for the toy. I was gonna say make Sentai a bit darker, but your average KR is not even that dark, so the problem is not really on that front. Maybe the perspective that Sentai skews younger and the dwindle younger demographic?

Also, I really don't think the Mecha gimmick helping them anymore, more like a burden with all the miniature/CG work, also the toy usually not even good anymore. Maybe scrap the mech and giant monster and focus more on the henshin gimmick? I know people will saying, then they just become a 5 KR team, but KR has random 1 of mechs, giant monster anyway, it's not like KR afraid of treading on Sentai.

The "Super" part of Super Sentai refers to the giant mechs. You lose part of the spirit of the show by removing them, so no thanks.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
All I know is that there are figuarts for almost every single rider (most are exclusives) and like none for Super Sentai. Also CSMs for the adult Rider collector and... nothing for Super Sentai unless they import some American stuff.

The other weird thing is: Zenkaiger seems really odd to me, almost like a Robo/Kabutack like show with the robots and their goofiness, toys that wouldn't really appeal to the adult collector, but then a theme that would absolutely get lost to a non adult who has no nostalgia for the series. I guess if it does well, good for them, though?

Saber, for all the hate it gets in here (and justifiably so most of the time) is really loved by my kids, especially the toys. Like having a bunch of weapon drivers is actually a pretty cool concept even though it's drifting from the concept a bit (that may just be me, I always loved X as a kid because he had a weapon)

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
The "Super" part of Super Sentai refers to the giant mechs. You lose part of the spirit of the show by removing them, so no thanks.
I'm pretty sure the Super part means extraordinary and not mecha.

Yeah that was what Metal Heroes are for
We overdue for another go at Gavan anyway, what is this the 4th time they try and fail to bring him back? I swear someone at Toei must have a hardon for him.

All I know is that there are figuarts for almost every single rider (most are exclusives) and like none for Super Sentai. Also CSMs for the adult Rider collector and... nothing for Super Sentai unless they import some American stuff.
They did have the Super sentai artisan line, which apparently, no one bought lol

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wow, I only remember the really early ones like the diecast Toqger and the more articulated Ninninger mechs. I didn't realize they made stuff like SPD licenses and stuff. Too bad it flopped.

I am kind of curious when they get around to it how they'll make a CSM Seiden Sworddriver, if they'll just include a second full sized sword or what.

alvmew

Nov 12, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Super part means extraordinary and not mecha.

We overdue for another go at Gavan anyway, what is this the 4th time they try and fail to bring him back? I swear someone at Toei must have a hardon for him.

They did have the Super sentai artisan line, which apparently, no one bought lol

A real quick Google would show that you are incorrect - Super is absolutely a reference to mecha, see also the Super Robot genre. The first Sentai that was officially called a Super Sentai and not just a Sentai was BFJ - aka the first show with a big robot.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Is that why the memorial line became a thing?
The Lupin Vs Pat memorial set, it's the same as DX toy with more sound.

The Ryusoulken is a bit better, as it is longer, but it still basically bigger version of the DX toy with more sound.

They pretty much cheaper version of the Artisan series, which is already cheaper than KR CSM, to begin with.

I'm pretty sure they gonna shelve that line too.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Until the last few years where Sentai's sales crashed, most of Sentai's merchandising sales came from the mecha though. It's why they've dumped personal weapons (and many years ago dropped the larger weapons and smaller vehicles which were meant for action figures rather than roleplay toys or mecha) but continue with multiple robots even in the recent shows. If anything the mecha were the ones carrying the transforming hero side. These last years though saw a big drop in mecha sales, which probably is a big part of the overall drop in sales that Sentai sees now.

The other weird thing is: Zenkaiger seems really odd to me, almost like a Robo/Kabutack like show with the robots and their goofiness, toys that wouldn't really appeal to the adult collector, but then a theme that would absolutely get lost to a non adult who has no nostalgia for the series. I guess if it does well, good for them, though?

The idea with Zenkaiger is pushing the mecha toys even outside of the mecha battles, since they're the biggest part of the toyline. I do agree that pushing for goofy designs and basically making the big anniversary show a parody might not have been a great idea though, especially now that we have the first quarter numbers and they're actually a bit smaller than Kiramager's and over 1 billion yen bellow Bandai's projections.

Sentai in general has a problem with lack of adult market compared to Rider though. Sentai barely has Figuarts because their big push back during the Akibaranger/Kyoryuger years failed. After the first few releases, people just didn't buy.

Last edited:

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
Until the last few years where Sentai's sales crashed, most of Sentai's merchandising sales came from the mecha though. It's why they've dumped personal weapons (and many years ago dropped the larger weapons and smaller vehicles which were meant for action figures rather than roleplay toys or mecha) but continue with multiple robots even in the recent shows. If anything the mecha were the ones carrying the transforming hero side. These last years though saw a big drop in mecha sales, which probably is a big part of the overall drop in sales that Sentai sees now.

I think it a self-fulling prophecy though, instead of research why the other toys in the line perform badly and maybe fixed/promote a new play pattern. I thought they do forms spam after Gokaiger, to help with the sale, but instead it back to 1-2 power up for the rest of the group or Red only power-up, then they went all in, placed all their bet on mecha instead.

I also think after Gokaiger, the mech design went down the fucking drain (imo) contributes to the low sale.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

Netflix Developing ‘Ultraman’ Animated Feature With All-New Story (EXCLUSIVE)

Netflix and Tsuburaya Productions are developing 'Ultraman' as a CG-animated movie aimed at bringing a new, wider audience to the character.

The streamer is partnering with Tsuburaya Productions to develop "Ultraman" as a CG-animated feature film aimed at bringing a new, wider audience to the beloved silver-suited character. Shannon Tindle, an animator who's worked on "Coraline" and "Kubo and the Two Strings," will make his feature directorial debut with the project, from a script he wrote with "Kubo" screenwriter Marc Haimes. John Aoshima ("DuckTales," "Gravity Falls") will co-direct.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think it a self-fulling prophecy though, instead of research why the other toys in the line perform badly and maybe fixed/promote a new play pattern. I thought they do forms spam after Gokaiger, to help with the sale, but instead it back to 1-2 power up for the rest of the group or Red only power-up, then they went all in, placed all their bet on mecha instead.

I also think after Gokaiger, the mech design went down the fucking drain (imo) contributes to the low sale.

Having worked with some parts of Toei before, I can assure you they do their research very well. Case in point, I knew they were planning on some form of Kamen Rider Black remake back in 2018, at that time they were studying countries where Black is popular (whether or not this eventually became Black Sun I have no idea). The problem is their creative effort (or lack thereof) in response to their research data, if their response to dwindling sales is just dropping the number of things to sell. It doesn't help that Bandai is also notorious for dropping toy lines that don't sell altogether.

On the other side of the spectrum we have Kohshu Hirano (Haruki) promoting Ultraman Z which will be aired in Indonesia's local TV station, which was very well received despite people have watched the series on Youtube before. And in the week before Takaya Aoyagi (Juggler) went on a live interview.

IMO Sentai is trapped in its complacency at this point. It's there, it's always like that because that's the way it has been for decades.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As an adult I've actually found when it comes to legacy series I've enjoyed as a kid the sillier entries are more appealing to me.

Pokemon Sun and Moon. Yu-gi-oh Sevens. Appmon. All very appealing to me compared to Pokemon XY (though I liked the hype shonen moments), VRAINS, and modern Digimon Adventure rehashes.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
You have Tsubariya doing their best to bring Ultraman to a wider audience.

And you have Toei doing the bare minimum.

I swear, the Saban deal feels like a monkey paw situation sometimes.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Without the mecha I wouldn't really care to watch Super Sentai. The problem is they need to design the mecha better. Also they need to take more chances with the franchises. Kyuranger was moderately successful and that series had 12 rangers. Stuff like that is what they need to think about.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much licensing S. Sentai as "Power Rangers" really brings to the table for them 🤔

Like, honestly I wouldn't mind one bit losing Power Rangers altogether and to see what they try to do with SS for a worldwide audience, similar to Ultraman right now (Including simulcasts)