• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Still mulling over Saber. If they can cut back on the CG to the point where it's mostly greenscreen backgrounds with actual stunts, I think I can tolerate 50 episodes of this. It's got the exact same earnest badness as Ghost.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for some Sondheim-esque shit and Tassel ends up becoming the final villain

Because lord knows I do not trust them

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah for Saber, it felt too out there/too much for a rider series
Dialogue was pretty cliche and corny along with the plot of helping the kid and his family
Characters felt over the top
Getting Wizard vibes and pacing was fast
So far.....hmmmmmm

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Kiramai 22

So, Kiramai is ToqGer 2 - Done Better, huh? So many train mechs.

I love how fast this series is with their plot points. This arc could be a half-series thing but was a five episode thing instead!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Still mulling over Saber. If they can cut back on the CG to the point where it's mostly greenscreen backgrounds with actual stunts, I think I can tolerate 50 episodes of this. It's got the exact same earnest badness as Ghost.
A lot of the CG and filming stuff we're seeing is due to the pandemic messing with location shooting. They already said to expect it in the next episode.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Got my wife into Kuuga rewatching on tubi.
I think as Kamen Rider progresses and gets more like sentai shed fallout but i bet shed love Garo if this is her jam.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
We all on the same page the Narrator for Saber is going to be like DJ from Gaim right?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Earth Defense Force fans will love today's ep, especially the level of the CGI graphics.

How can it look worse than Gaoranger?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The entire episode, even the op felt subdued for a show that wants to look so fantastical. I wonder how much of this was due to Covid or it was just the show.

RangerBAD

Oct 25, 2017
Early PS2 graphics aside, I think Saber has promise and didn't feel Sentai-esque, but it doesn't feel very serious either. I'm torn on it.

Oct 25, 2017
"We're given the mandate to insert as much CG into these episodes as possible but they haven't given us a budget for it. What do we do?"

"Quick, double down on masking the insanely low-res CG image quality of the enemy models & background by covering everything with crushing black shadows. Make the environment so dark that the viewer won't be able to truly see how cheap and terrible this all looks."

"Genius!"

Okay, a pandemic means practical measures have to be introduced and implemented. I think we all reasonably expect and understand. But this 2nd episode for me was even less watchable than the prior episode. I kept thinking to myself that the whole fantasy segments may as well be animated. At least next week's preview looks a bit more promising, what with Big Daddy joining the fray carrying that ridiculous looking Swiss cheese sword.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Saber you can tell that the pandemic is limiting them. They can clearly only have ~3 face actors on screen at once with some exceptions and they can't be out there during fight scenes, so we get cuts to just them during the fights that were probably filmed at a different time. The scenes also have to be short and the Riders spend more time transformed. We'll see how things are a few months down the line.

Regarding the CG, you can clearly tell it's CG and some parts are worse than others, but it's serviceable and might lead to more bike scenes and locations because the reason they cut down on those were Japanese laws getting more strict. It's hardly unwatchable imo.

I really like the cast for this series and I'm excited to see how everyone acts off of each other when more characters are introduced.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
190.png

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Dad Rider is already great from the preview.

EDIT:

Now that I watched it proper... dunno guys, I liked it. Shindou's a super straight man and every scene with him was a delight. Him and Touma's interaction are great and so far devoid of many pet peeves I have with Kamen Rider (characters purposefully not telling things for tension). I don't mind the bad CG since we'll drop them pretty soon anyway.

Still the episode is super disjointed as Sandfox said. The transition between talking/fighting scenes are jarring. Three times in the episode the Riders transformed without seeing any enemies on screen prior, then cut to a lot of enemies just a second after. I'm really looking forward if they share any production notes on this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Saber 02

I dunno if I was with my expectations so low that I was surprised, but... I like it? At least the first two episodes. Goofy as hell, the secondary is already good with his mix of goofy and serious, Mei is kinda bad, Touma is fine.

Also, very heavy on very cheap, early-2000s quality CG, but understandable, given the COVID situation. If that means more bike scenes and good action, I'm ok with it.

Dad Rider looks cool.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Pacing is still out of wack, and yet I still enjoying this, like it has a particular charm to it currently.

Was wanting Espada's intro next week, but guess we got a dad rider first. That didn't take long. XD

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think the big oddity with this show's pacing is that there's basically no real world context. If you look at the cast list we have so far, the only people from the real world who are recurring characters are Touma and his editor. The first episode still played along and had him taking care of some children, but it was clearly something rather superficial and then 2nd episode basically shoved aside anything related to their old lives.

We go from exposition about the Riders and villains to another battle, with the real world basically only existing as a place where they rest and a place that's getting attacked by the villains. Usually something like this would only happen late into the series, if it happened at all.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I liked the joke at the begining, and I hope they are setting up to do it again next week lol

And the CGI got better, but they really need to work on those backgrounds. Less boxy buildings, less repetition, a bit of a additional haze to accentuate the distance and it would look even better. Or just set those scenes at night.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Ultraman Z 12

So, does nobody notice Z only shows when Haruki is out of action? Or Hibikura somehow covers him? Or, even better, everyone knows but doesn't tell Haruki so he doesn't feel bad for some reason?

Anyway, good way to sell toys. I want a King Joe Storage Custom now.

Those last two episodes were way more serious than what the series was before, didn't expect it before. Next ones continues this storyline but feels... lighter? Let's see...

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are wrong that CG fight was badass

But is every episode gonna end with a goofy guy sitting atop bad CG?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
I just rewatched the episode and I agree, the CG stuff was pretty good. It has room to improve of course, but I feel it's good.

Don't make me bring back the .GIF of that early episode of Zi-O with the enemy that tries to drown Zi-O in concrete.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Ultraman Z 12

So, does nobody notice Z only shows when Haruki is out of action? Or Hibikura somehow covers him? Or, even better, everyone knows but doesn't tell Haruki so he doesn't feel bad for some reason?

This has been Ultraman's dance since long ago, it's a classic formula I wouldn't mind them returning. I think an older Ultraman has used "the entire team kinda knows but nobody said anything" plot once.

OP
OP
DioMuller

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This has been Ultraman's dance since long ago, it's a classic formula I wouldn't mind them returning. I think an older Ultraman has used "the entire team kinda knows but nobody said anything" plot once.

Well, we know at least one person knows (Hibikura) and one probably doesn't (Yoko). Would be fun if the rest of the team knew, hahaha

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we know at least one person knows (Hibikura) and one probably doesn't (Yoko). Would be fun if the rest of the team knew, hahaha

Yeah that would be fun lol, I want a scene where Haruki reveals to everyone that he is Ultraman and the other is like "Yeah no shit".

The great thing about Z is that at it still has its sci-fi root in its heart, most of the episodes are the team trying to figure out how to defeat the MOTW.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Saber continues to just..not feel right.
If you were to tell me this was a sequel to RyuKenDo, Id believe that more than this being a Rider show.

Oct 25, 2017
Toei Tokusatsu Fan Club
Essentially the WWE Network of Rider and Sentai. Stuff that you might've seen like Zi-O .5 episodes, Kamen Rider Brain, Kamen Rider Shinobi, etc are TTFC exclusive content.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Zero One had a glow in the dark suit and never ever used that for a fight scene?