Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
You probably shouldn't expect remasters of Bethesda's old games. That's the studio to be clear. You might get remasters of ZeniMax's games more broadly.

The Guardian said:
Howard also demurred on something that fans are constantly asking for, especially since Skyrim was rereleased on PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch: modern remasters of Bethesda's older games. "I'm happy that you can play Morrowind now on an Xbox One, as it's backwards compatible. I'm really happy that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and others are making it easier for people to play [older games] as they were played at the time. I actually prefer that over remasters," he says. "I'd rather you play Morrowind the way it was ... I think the age is part of its identity.
"For Skyrim Remastered, we had done some work on it but it was already pretty visually close. But for something like Morrowind, my personal preference is not to remaster it. We [also] get asked a lot to remaster [1997's] Fallout 1, and I usually say, if you have a PC you can play Fallout the way it was. I think that's how it should be. I think streaming technology is definitely coming, and it's gonna make people's access to games infinitely easier. You've seen it happen to music and movies and I think it's a great thing."
Source: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...odd-howard-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No point in remasters of their games you can get them looking pretty amazing and relatively new through mods. That's kind of the entire point of playing their games to begin with.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I get their logic, but a 3D remake of Fallout 1 would be a brand new game for everyone besides the couple hundred thousand people who played Fallout back in the day, and a brand new experience for those of us who played back then, or since.

A 3D Fallout 1 or 2 remake... there isn't an announcement in gaming that would hype me up more. They'd have to make some tweaks to redesign those huge maps in the context of one large explorable open world (or give players a fast traversal option in a 76-sized world that's mostly desert, wastelands, and the occasional forest), but I think it could be done.

Last edited:

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I get their logic, but a 3D remake of Fallout 1 would be a brand new game for everyone besides the couple hundred thousand people who played Fallout back in the day, and a brand new experience for those of us who played back then, or since.
Yeah but remastering Fallout 1 would mean creating a whole new game almost from the grounds up. I think BGS would be far more interesting spending that time working on something new they want to create instead of remaking a game they didn't make in the first place.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty smart. Wouldn't want to expose people to what a good Bethesda game is, that would hurt future sales.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I'm really happy that Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo and others are making it easier for people to play [older games] as they were played at the time. I actually prefer that over remasters," he says. "I'd rather you play Morrowind the way it was ... I think the age is part of its identity.
I'm with Todd here, I prefer playing the original versions of games and appreciating what developers managed to accomplish on older hardware.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, we got Skyrim Special Edition, so I think we might as well get ones for Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas too while we're at it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a PR way of saying "There's no way this would do nearly as well as hardcore fans seem to think." Morrowind is a fantastic game but I findd it hard to believe a lot of their modern fans would gel with it these days. It would need a lot of work.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I think I agree with him, if PC lets you scale the game resolutión, that's enough. Or something similar to Xbox One X.

Remakes/Remasters that change too much... Id prefer a new game

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a PR way of saying "There's no way this would do nearly as well as hardcore fans seem to think." Morrowind is a fantastic game but I findd it hard to believe a lot of their modern fans would gel with it these days. It would need a lot of work.
gotta wonder how Morrowind fans would react to a Morrowind remake with Skyrim's combat

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
how about a remaster of fallout 3 and new vegas since for us ps3 owners or even 360 owners, it's hard to go back to those games. Can't they get another studio to do the remasters for them?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have zero faith they could do a Morrowind remaster without butchering it with fast travel, POI compasses, and waypoint markers anyways. So I'm ok with this.

gotta wonder how Morrowind fans would react to a Morrowind remake with Skyrim's combat

As much as I love Morrowind, the combat is much worse than Skyrim. It's the hand-holding that I find off putting in modern Elder Scrolls

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017

A 3D Fallout 1 or 2 remake... there isn't an announcement in gaming that would hype me up more. They'd have to make some tweaks to redesign those huge maps in the context of one large explorable open world (or give players a fast traversal option in a 76-sized world that's mostly desert, wastelands, and the occasional forest), but I think it could be done.
Yeah, but at the same tome, a new game would be a better choice.
Where everything it's new to everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
*Looks at skyrim enhanced edition.

Hmmmmm... I'm not sure I believe him.

He explains why that's different. Visually, the game was close to current standards and the work put in was minimal.

For a game like Morrowind, there's significantly more work involved getting that up to today's standard.

I also agree with him that playing that game as it was released is part of the charm and identity of the game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but at the same tome, a new game would be a better choice.
Where everything it's new to everyone.
Yeah, but how many people really know the story of Vault 13 and the Vault Dweller? I'd imagine it'd be new to like 90% of Fallout's current userbase, and that's a conservative estimate.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I think he just means dumbing Morrowind down to Oblivion/Skyrim levels would take a lot of work on top of the graphics upgrade.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but it would be great to have ports to platforms that don't have them. Skyrim is everywhere, so should the Fallouts and other Elder Scrolls.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I would totally buy a remastered Morrowind in a heartbeat, but I'm also interested in new stuff.

Sort of related but man I can't wait to see Starfield.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's disappointing. Any/all of Morrowind / Oblivion / Fallout 3 / New Vegas would be HUGE on the Switch.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but how many people really know the story of Vault 13 and the Vault Dweller? I'd imagine it'd be new to like 90% of Fallout's current userbase, and that's a conservative estimate.

While I agree, 100% it's still better than 90%.

In almost every situation Id take having 2 different games, over a game and it's remaster.

Id take patches that fix the UI and resolution in PC. For the really old games.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
they can't do it. they lost the maps to the secret of great games. they'd go back and just get lost.

We;d end up with Oblivion under a Morrowind skin.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Xbox 4k BC ports have me satisfied. If gameplay wasn't going to be adjusted I can't say I'd be too interested in versions of the games beyond what we have.

7b6812e3-cfc3-4997-8961-9785a3280e29.PNG

b550e706-8957-4d5a-bce5-a4bd530dd8fd.PNG

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
bethesda remasters don't excite me much anyway. The games have all aged pretty poorly imo, they'd need to have some pretty heavy work done to make them enjoyable for me to play today.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, a remaster of Morrowind would likely fuck it up so not much point in one.
I mean, how would it be done? Would you do a new graphics layer like Halo CE Anniversary did? If so, the old mechanics that are unlikely to be liked today would hurt it, and the existing game has stability and performance issues that can be mitigated with code patch but not 100%. Would they keep the old aesthetic or change it radically? And would it stay moddable and/or compatible with existing mods (most importantly Tamriel Rebuilt)? While easier solution, it isn't necessarily feasible.
Rebuilding the game to create a real remake would be massive effort, and they'd likely dumb it down while at it, create a game that isn't a roleplaying game properly at all.

No, better just not to touch it.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Well, Morrowind isn't just a game you can simply remaster anyway. It would need a full-on remake, so that's fine. It's still easily available for anyone to play on pc, it's not like it's stuck on a dead console or anything.
That doesn't mean I wouldn't like a prettier version on PS4, but it's not a huge loss.

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
Yeah but remastering Fallout 1 would mean creating a whole new game almost from the grounds up. I think BGS would be far more interesting spending that time working on something new they want to create instead of remaking a game they didn't make in the first place.

I would like them to just do what beamdog did with Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment. Make them stable without the use of mods, fix some bugs, improve the UI for higher resolutions, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they've got a pretty clearly defined formula now. Reworking old games to fit that model, and creating all the art assets required for a modern title would probably be practically the same cost as creating a new game.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
That's understandable, besides, I want new games from them either way.

Not to mention that someone that really wants a Morrowind remaster won't find a better one that the Overhaul mod.