• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why video game fans are so insistent that game companies should care about a game anniversary. Maybe if it was the 50th anniversary or something I suppose.

It's more that Nintendo have demonstrably acknowledged/celebrated Mario's 35th and Zelda is their other major franchise. If it wasn't for that, I'd agree that 35 is a fairly arbitrary number.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Shameless self promotion incoming. I spent 4 years writing a book, "The Legend of Zelda - A Complete Development History" and finally completed it last year. I think a lot of Zelda fans on here would enjoy it. (It's free)

As the title suggests, the book tracks the series' entire development history from Zelda 1 to BOTW, providing insight into how market conditions and the state of Nintendo shaped and reshaped Zelda many, many times over the years. I spent countless hours doing the research for the book, and to my knowledge it's the most in-depth deep dive into Zelda history ever written.

The book is available in two formats: a dedicated page on the Zelda Wiki (with citations for virtually everything) and a prettier eBook PDF if you want to enjoy reading it in a magazine format.

You can find both versions here: https://zelda.gamepedia.com/Development_of_The_Legend_of_Zelda
Oh this is awesome. Great work, I'm excited to read more.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to make sure I had a tribute ready, one of my "drop whatever you're doing and play this" series

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I don't understand why video game fans are so insistent that game companies should care about a game anniversary. Maybe if it was the 50th anniversary or something I suppose.
Well, really, the only reason is because I want to know what products they're going to use this anniversary as an excuse to push. I enjoy buying video games.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
It's kind of amazing how similar Breath of the Wild is to the original on an abstract level.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Can anyone succinctly explain to me why Nintendo hasn't acknowledged this? I mean, it's weird, right?

Honestly, I think they're waiting until Mario's Anniversary ends next month.

As for Zelda, it's my favorite video game franchise and is a huge reason why I'm the person I am today.

I got introduced to the series at an early age. I was born in 82 and I received the original Zelda as a Christmas present in 1988, when I was 6 years old. I'll never forget opening that present and seeing this

61PNacvKx-L._AC_SY741_.jpg

My mind was blown when I put the game in my NES and started exploring. I'll never forget the excitement I had when I found level 1 in the tree.

The reason why I said this game was instrumental to who I am is because it was my first time seeing something fantasy related (specifically High Fantasy). Fantasy has become my favorite genre and Zelda was a huge reason why. That interest led to books like The Chronicles of Prydain, Dragonlance, and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, and ultimately movies like Legend and Willow.

What's even better is that I've been able to share my love of Zelda with my son. I'll never forget watching one of the Breath of the Wild E3 trailers and him looking at me and saying "I can't wait to play that" when he was 5 (he just turned 10 back in December).

The Legend of Zelda is the only game franchise that gets me to stop in my tracks whenever Nintendo announces anything related to it, and it'll be my favorite franchise until the day I die.

I can't believe it's been 35 years and I'm looking forward to whatever else Nintendo comes up with in the series.

Last edited:

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I get it that they're waiting for the end of Mario's celebration to announce their plans, but i thought that at least they were going to tweet something today, remembering the date and everything. They did it with Fire Emblem's anniversary day, AFAIK. Ignoring it is a bit strange.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I had to do something to celebrate, I'm pretty sure Zelda is my favorite franchise? It's the only one with no stinkers in it (besides the three games no one at Nintendo even touched).

Really hoping this year is gonna be big (also Skyward Sword is great)

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Honestly, I think they're waiting until Mario's Anniversary ends next month.

As for Zelda, it's my favorite video game franchise and is a huge reason why I'm the person I am today.

I got introduced to the series at an early age. I was born in 82 and I received the original Zelda as a Christmas present in 1988, when I was 6 years old. I'll never forget opening that present and seeing this

61PNacvKx-L._AC_SY741_.jpg

My mind was blown when I put the game in my NES and started exploring. I'll never forget the excitement I had when I found level 1 in the tree.

The reason why I said this game was instrumental to who I am is because it was my first time seeing something fantasy related (specifically High Fantasy). Fantasy has become my favorite genre and Zelda was a huge reason why. That interest led to books like The Chronicles of Prydain, Dragonlance, and The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings, and ultimately movies like Legend and Willow.

What's even better is that I've been able to share my love of Zelda with my son. I'll never forget watching one of the Breath of the Wild E3 trailers and him looking at me and saying "I can't wait to play that" when he was 5 (he just turned 10 back in December).

The Legend of Zelda is the only game franchise that gets me to stop in my tracks whenever Nintendo announces anything related to it, and it'll be my favorite franchise until the day I die.

I can't believe it's been 35 years and I'm looking forward to whatever else Nintendo comes up with in the series.
Amusing , even the packag said "invaluable"... the guide/map where always meant to be used for the game, people that played/replayed the game without always said it was to obtuse and cryptic.. and it was, because it was an incomplete game.

I was fantasy interested in my youth, but mostly left that interest behind, im more scifi/ff 7/8 style fantasy (how is that called?) interested...but zelda stays dear to my heart. on the other hand... if is so far removed from what i currently associate with fantasy (mainy: the 15th derivative of LotR)

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I just did Eventide in BotW for the first time in honour of the anniversary. I hadn't really avoided doing it, just hadn't gotten around to it, and I've played this game for hours across both Wii U and Switch. Really amazing how there are still new things to discover after all that. Just coming back into the world and exploring aimlessly is also always such an enjoyable experience. I really hope the sequel can be this special or even more. Wind Waker is really the only other game to capture that feeling of wonder and exploration for me, so I hope the rumours of it coming to Switch are true.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Minish Cap might be the best looking Zelda game relative its platform and time of release. I forgot how beautiful it's sprite work and environments are

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Best series, even if the past decade has been an overall miss for me.

King of Red Lions > Midna

latest

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Weird that you have all these games and miss both versions of MM.
I played it on the GameCube Collector's Edition disc. I always meant to get it on N64, but we missed out on pre-orders or something and didn't end up getting it, for some reason. Probably didn't help that we were addicted to Dreamcast at the time, and that my parents were in the middle of a divorce. I was tempted to buy it a few years later ehen I saw a complete copy at GameStop, but I was a few bucks short, I think.

I might get it someday on N64 and/or 3DS. I only got Ocarina of Time 3D because it was $5. I don't own many 3DS games...my hands cramp up playing it, so I'm rarely tempted to play anything on it.

I also used to have A Link Between Worlds, and Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, but one of my siblings took them when they moved out a few months ago.

Last edited: