NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I was a Nintendo kid back in the day that felt a semblance of bittersweetness in regards to the loss of Rare. I think at that point I'd already gotten accustomed to the knowledge that Microsoft weren't going to allow Rare to do the things I'd personally want out of them. Nonetheless, me being a young teen at the time, I would still wistfully fantasize about potentially getting a new Banjo, even when knowing I couldn't afford, nor that my parents would willingly buy me more than one console each generation. This frustration would only amplify when IGN finally released what seemed to be the first teaser to the new Banjo. The graphical style took a bit of time to get used to, but I didn't mind it that much. More importantly I already started thinking about whether or not they were teasing at some of the abilities you'd get in the new game. Would you use Kazooie to pick open locks, or some kind of new jackhammer ability?

And all that immediate fantasizing came to a head when I saw that glimpse of Spiral Mountain - even with it being CG, the intention seemed 100% clear, and that short split second of Banjo dashing into the vista was something that I was convinced for a second was actual game play - it looked so dynamic for the lack of a better word; fast, snappy.

I obviously couldn't hide my excitement but also slight sadness in the fact that I couldn't see myself playing the game in the situation I was in back then. A friend of mine I made on a forum responded to one of my posts pretty succinctly about it "better get an Xbox, or no Banjo for you". A simple and succinct post which was what finally broke me and had me take my first part time job so I could save up for a 360.

Obviously it wasn't a regrettable purchase by any stretch of the imagination... but it's kind of funny to look back at it. Especially when we finally got a closer view of what the game was actually going to be about.

At the time I definitely responded to the full reveal with a very bemused head tilt. It focused mostly on vehicular building... but there was still footage of the characters being on foot. I think I recall reading some interview that suggested the vehicles weren't going to be the only way you make your way around, merely that they were going to be a supplement to the good old fashioned Banjo game play. A lot of buzzwords about the game had me excited, namely that the hub world they'd designed was their biggest one ever, how there's an entire level with references to past Banjo worlds... one thing I could not fault about the game was it's ambition. With that in mind I was still fairly excited about it. Up until the demo released anyway.

The sinking feeling of how much the vehicle portion actually dominated the game, and how that reflected on the mission structure and world design gave me a sinking feeling that was pretty inescapable - so much so that it was one of the few times back when I wasn't in a rush to get a game from a franchise I loved, until about a month or two after release.

There was a lot of novelty to find in this game, personally speaking. As much as vehicle building can be tedious, there was something rewarding about gaining super powered parts and building a hyper juiced up ride that could fly and blaze across the worlds at crippling speeds - even if I could never quite overlook how manufactured the entire game's presentation was and how the world design still seems like it wants to be a Banjo game to some degree, which makes the mission structure feel like too much of a checklist, and some of the later world designs absolutely insufferable. The vehicle parts were held back by its heritage, and its heritage was held back by its vehicle parts. What it ends up with is a game that feels like a hodgepodge of design ideas that the developers were unable to consolidate - and also not be able to provide a good framerate for.

To me, this game will remain an example of how imaginative Rare can be, but also how absolutely ungraceful they were with some of their design sensibilities. I actually got quite a few good hours out of it - but I've never been compelled to revisit it ever since, as after a point the frustrating, hollow feeling really began to sink in. It probably wasn't helped by how this was a game that completely destroyed the fourth wall altogether and built it's entire foundation on it's own self-awareness, which was only played for cute nods in previous titles. A game about games.... which is hard to sympathize with in this case, given the glass houses at play.

... But that's just my personal look back at it anyway. No doubt plenty of other people have some other stories and opinions about the game they'd like to share that differ greatly from my own.

Banjo-Kazooie_Nuts_%26_Bolts_Game_Cover.jpg

Happy birthday to this strange, divisive game. Hard to imagine it's been 10 years since the last time Banjo got a chance to be in the spotlight. Knowing where the company is at now, it's hard to imagine it won't be at least another 10 until the next time that may be.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reason I bought the 360 and I loved the game!
Not a traditional Banjo game but still had so much fun. This game is the reason I heard about and later played Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That first trailer is so fucking depressing. I was so excited for this game at the time.

Love the Mario easter egg in the end of the second trailer.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
More time between now and nuts and bolts than tooie and nuts and bolts

I feel sick

Oct 25, 2017
NC
I actually enjoyed building vehicles on this game. Made a multitude of mech suits, batmobiles, biplanes, airships and other vehicles.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
Can't say I was a fan of the direction they went with N&B, but it brought with it the XBLA versions of BK and BK2 and those were great, silver lining I suppose.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utter disappointment. I was so fucking excited when Microsoft showed that teaser trailer with Banjo and Kazooie with the door only to get this in the end.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Best banjo.

Had such a fun online component. I was #1 on the leaderboards for one of the challenges and I bust my ass to get there. Such a great feeling.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's a bad game. People love to champion it as some amazing gem that only has the reputation it does because of angry B&K fans, but the game is truly just a mess. Awful world design, awful driving physics, awful character design and writing, awful performance (at least on 360), awful mission design...

The vehicle customization system is at least a cool concept and should be put to use in a better game.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I love this game. There's so much genuine joy, wit and warmth in it that the wonky physics - its only real shortcoming in my opinion - are quite easily overlooked. The sheer absurdity of your contraptions and the way the game totally embraced your halfway glitchy and backwards solutions to its challenges was a true delight.

It is absolutely understandable that people clamouring for a new Banjo platformer (and to a huge degree clamouring for A platformer, Banjo or otherwise) were sorely disappointed. But it is also easily one of Rare's finest games, dressed up as one of their most loveable IPs.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A game i bought a console for since i loved the first two, and ended up stopping after finding the first 5 hours so boring.
Happy anniversary for those that liked it i guess.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's funny this game is so polarizing since I thought it was merely okay. I wouldn't call it terrible because there were some neat ideas in there with the vehicle customization but none of the levels really supported any creative use of that system and ended up feeling kinda.. empty

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe one day I'll get around the playing this. I had a PS3 so I skipped it. But then I watch videos like the final boss fight and it's like eeeeeeeeeeeeeh maybe I shouldn't

But on the other hand, as a huge fan of Kazooie and Tooie my fanship feels incompete having only played 2/3 of the main games.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
Mild execution of a great concept. They needed to push the idea further by being more adventurous with their mission design. To many standard racing challenges padding out every level, with only a handful actually daring you to be creative with the vehicle creation.

Soundtrack is wonderful.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not a great title and a bit of a waste of an established IP that has so much potential. Just give me a proper Banjo sequel already please.

BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
The racing missions were awful with the way collisions made you turn 90 degrees. Otherwise, this game is a masterpiece.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
It's funny this game is so polarizing since I just thought it merely okay. I wouldn't call it terrible because there were some neat ideas in there with the vehicle customization but none of the levels really supported any creative use of that system and ended up feeling kinda.. empty
It's polarising because it's a completely different genre to its predecessors. Personally I am unable to judge the game on its merits. I hate it because of what it is not as opposed to what it is.

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny this game is so polarizing since I just thought it merely okay. I wouldn't call it terrible because there were some neat ideas in there with the vehicle customization but none of the levels really supported any creative use of that system and ended up feeling kinda.. empty
I definitely believe the game is just "okay", there are way too many actual flaws about it on a design level for me to call it a genuinely good game beyond it's ambition and presentation, but I had fun with it - even if doesn't stay in the memory for very long. Indeed, most of the reason I remember it for is simply because it was a Banjo game, which is a fairly bittersweet admission in and of itself.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It's polarising because it's a completely different genre to its predecessors. Personally I am unable to judge the game on its merits. I hate it because of what it is not as opposed to what it is.
I think the thread was made to talk about the game on its own merits and not retread the same old ground of what the game should have been.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Above average lego game
Not a banjo game. Still hope we get a sequel to banjo tooie one day.

Dec 11, 2017
Optimizing your vehicle to not just beat the challenge times, but to almost cheat your way to victory felt incredible.

OMEGALUL

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I wonder what was Rare's reasoning behind this game. How do they go from making platformers to this thing? How did this get green light? What the fuck is wrong with Rare and Microsoft?

Avenger54321

Oct 27, 2017
Gurnee
This game was one of the main reasons why I bought a 360. Which I did before they showed off what the game really was. For me, it was disappointing. Ever since I've been hoping for a new Banjo game that played like the originals.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Great game, but it did get lot's of hate from Nintendo fans.

Rare should have done what was expected: lame ass long levels with 3 million collectables.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up loving the game way more than I thought I would, but the first trailer still hurts.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Absolutely wonderful game. Full disclosure, I never played a Banjo before N&B. Loved this game so much, and am mad that I accidentally wiped my save and couldn't finish it despite putting upwards of 20 hours in on that save.

I want a N&B 2 and a Viva Pinata sequel pronto.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what was Rare's reasoning behind this game. How do they go from making platformers to this thing? How did this get green light? What the fuck is wrong with Rare and Microsoft?

Rare has always been a studio of a massive variety of genres, so them making something like Nuts and Bolts with an existing IP wasn't a wild left turn for the company.

bdwnfn99

Oct 25, 2017
I remember that first teaser trailer and being soooo tempted to buy the system, then that hype got completely deflated with the first gameplay trailer/concept reveal. One of the greatest bait & switches ever.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
The best banjo game

I fucking loved when I got towards the end of the game and made a motorcycle that could transform into a plane at will and take flight.

The game had a great sense of progression and figuring out how to design vehicles to smash challenges was so rewarding

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game that killed Banjo Kazooie & convinced Microsoft to cancel a Conker project that was in early development!

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By now it's well documented that the creative leads and head figures at Rare believed that platformers were a dying breed, a sentiment no doubt shared by Microsoft. The idea of a "traditional" Banjo 3 basically died after the Microsoft buyout, as they'd instead experiment with concepts such as making a full remake of the original Banjo (similar to Conker Live & Reloaded), or making a game with some kind of experimental hook to it, which eventually became Nuts & Bolts (based on concepts they had for a racing game).

You can find a lot of quotes from back then, many of which have an air of "no one plays platformers these days", and many of those sentiments which are pretty condescendingly echoed in the game itself with all of its abundance of self-aware writing.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game... it's just super fucked that we still haven't had a console banjo platformer since 2000.

in an ideal world we'd have both a nuts and bolts series and a mainline banjo platformer series... BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING BANJO AND HE'S AWESOME THE FUCK DID YOU EVEN BUY RARE FOR IF YOU WEREN'T GOING TO DO SHIT WITH THE PROPERTIES UGH

it still hurts fam