• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I liked the Japanese title for Coco better than the western title. They called it Remember Me in Japan which made much more sense to me:

3152303219600326014.jpg

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
In this version, it is revealed that Bruce Lee was a Nine Trey Blood

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. I saw this movie in Tokyo last Friday and the title is ワンス アポン ア タイム イン ハリウッド / wansu apon a taimu in hariuddo.

Edit: The I don't think the official name is ハリウッドin
69. Google just doesn't find it.
Yeah, all the marketing materials and trailers I've seen a are just ワンス アポン ア タイム イン ハリウッド... Fake poster? A lot of the text doesn't contrast with the background very well either.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
What's the reason for the name change?

Does "once upon a time in hollywood" translated to something bad in Japanese? Or is the change, based on market feedback/interest/licensing issue?
Idioms in your non-native languages can be difficult to understand. It's practically impossible to translate these to begin with, and using them without translation still very few would understand, so titles are changed entirely because many titles are idioms themselves or very similar to what an idiom is. Another great example in this thread is "Fast and Furious", another idiom, something not easy to translate to other languages. All languages have this problem, it's very difficult to translate idioms from one language to another. This is the same case in Europe for many titles.

I am fluent in 4 languages, 2 languages I learned as native, and 1 in school, and 1 on my own, and I still struggle with the latter 2 regarding idioms.

Last edited:

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Napoleon Dynamite was released as "Bus Man" in Japan to cash in on the popularity of a TV-series called Train Man.
The movie did have a scene where he was riding a bus, so it makes sense guess.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Idioms in your non-native languages can be difficult to understand. It's practically impossible to translate these to begin with, and using them without translation still very few would understand, so titles are changed entirely because many titles are idioms themselves or very similar to what an idiom is. Another great example in this thread is "Fast and Furious", another idiom, something not easy to translate to other languages. All languages have this problem, it's very difficult to translate idioms from one language to another. This is the same case in Europe for many titles.

I am fluent in 4 languages, 2 languages I learned as native, and 1 in school, and 1 on my own, and I still struggle with the latter 2 regarding idioms.
Yeah, there are often times the Japanese title is very literal, a lot of Pixar titles, compared to the wordplay of the English title.

But sometimes it is just a transliteration of the original title even though they'd have no idea of the meaning, and other times they just change things willy nilly. I can agree, Wild Speed uses words they're already likely to understand versus Fast and Furious though.

In this case, they just didn't change anything (all indications are that poster isn't official), despite the title being somewhat clunky and long.

doinkies

Jun 20, 2018
Same. Just did a quick search of what's playing near my theater and it's just the English name in katakana.

I did some googling of the poster in the OP, and it was a fake/fanmade poster made by the movie magazine Eiga Hihou. As pointed out the title is also fake, the actual title is just the English title in katakana. Link to article in Japanese about the poster. It seems to be something they've done with other Tarantino movies too, the article points out they've done posters with literally translated titles like 『ビルを殺れ!』,『鎖無用のジャンゴ』and『裏切りの八悪人』lol

A couple months ago I found a Japanese instagram account that does retro fanmade posters for current US movies, along with making up fake Japanese titles for them like this poster does...I should find the link.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sad that this appears to be fake as debunked by other posters but Die Hard Mega Hard is too legit to quit

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did some googling of the poster in the OP, and it was a fake/fanmade poster made by the movie magazine Eiga Hihou. As pointed out the title is also fake, the actual title is just the English title in katakana. Link to article in Japanese about the poster. It seems to be something they've done with other Tarantino movies too, the article points out they've done posters with literally translated titles like 『ビルを殺れ!』,『鎖無用のジャンゴ』and『裏切りの八悪人』lol

A couple months ago I found a Japanese instagram account that does retro fanmade posters for current US movies, along with making up fake Japanese titles for them like this poster does...I should find the link.

Then this thread is a good example of how easy it is for information to spread. Someone claims something without fact checking and it just generally gets accepted as fact.