• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
0542q3b2beo31.jpg

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is pretty funny with this kind of stuff: they prefer to keep english names in order to sound "international", but they try to use the most basic english as possible. I guess they said "the average japanese doesn't understand what "Once upon a time" means, so...". For example, The Fast and the Furious films are called "Wild Speed" there.

My favorite example is Gravity: is called "ZERO Gravity" there... makes sense lol.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
What's the reason for the name change?

Does "once upon a time in hollywood" translated to something bad in Japanese? Or is the change, based on market feedback/interest/licensing issue?

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

Does "once upon a time in hollywood" translated to something bad in Japanese? Or is the change, based on market feedback/interest?
I mean, if you think about it, 'Once Upon A Time..." is a rather literary English phrase that wouldn't translate well to Japan so they took liberties with it. Or who knows, maybe Tarantino wanted it to be called that in Japan?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Does "once upon a time in hollywood" translated to something bad in Japanese? Or is the change, based on market feedback/interest/licensing issue?

Imagine being Japanese and asking a ticket for "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood." It's a mouthful that isn't easy to pronounce.

Oct 25, 2017
The Grindhouse movies were translated in my home country as

BIBRUTAL 1: WALK DEATH (yes, literally like that)
BIBRUTAL 2: PLANET FEAR

3800847200307.jpg

No, it doesn't make sense in that language either.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is pretty funny with this kind of stuff: they prefer to keep english names in order to sound "international", but they try to use the most basic english as possible. I guess they said "the average japanese doesn't understand what "Once upon a time" means, so...". For example, The Fast and the Furious films are called "Wild Speed" there.

My favorite example is Gravity: is called "ZERO Gravity" there... makes sense lol.

The Japanese title for the Jersey Shore was The Macaroni Rascals.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

The Fast and the Furious doesn't have any special meaning in North America either...what's not to understand?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
English-speaking countries aren't immune to this. "Les Bronzés," a French comedy classic about a group of friends at a Club Med resort, is called "French Fried Vacation" abroad. Why? No idea.

The French TV show "Zone blanche" (White Zone) is called "Black Spot" in English.

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That is nothing on the names the movies get on Spain.

For the life of me, I don't get why Die Hard (Duro de Matar) is called La Jungla de Cristal (The crystal jungle) on Spain.