• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are some titles and names in video gaming that people often mispronounce?

For example, Ico, Shenmue, Ryu, etc.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Tidus from FFX - largely owing to the fact his name is never actually spoken in that game.

It's Tee-dus, not Tye-dus.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I once went to a gaming shopping center looking for Lacrimosa of Dana. I had to pronounce the word "Ys" in 4 different ways so each store clerk could understand me

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time everyone on here (or it might have been The Old Place pre-Exodus) thought the narrator of GVMERS was a text-to-speech device because he pronounced Bayonetta "bay-YON-tta"?

MrLandmaster

Jan 21, 2018
Nier: Automata.

A surprisingly large amount of people don't know how to pronounce the word automata, and that makes me sad.

Oct 25, 2017
Roegadyn from XIV.
Or rather, any Roe name in general.

It's "ROO-ga-din"
Not "row-GAY-din"

"All instances of "oe" in roegadyn names are pronounced like "moon".

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Gaiden. And pronouncing it Ninja Gayden sounds infinitely cooler than how it's properly pronounced. Similar to Raiden from MK and Raiden from MGS.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much all games with english and japanese titles to a varrying degree, since those are the main two. Not exactly fascinating.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's because I m french, but I pronouce most of them right. I don't even understand how people fail to say Ryu right when the games, anime, movie spell it for you...

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's meant to be Deep Throat in Romaji but I got the last two syllables wrong lol (I guess the correct form would be Diipu Surouto?)

I took this username because I leaked the Final Fantasy Fortress tech demo back in the day

I thought you were using Romaji and it looks like I was right! But yeah, "Surotu" is incorrect and it bugged me for a very long time. Seeing as you're from France, I thought your name might be French and that I was mistaken about the Romaji.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wolfenstein

Digital foundry is the only outlet I can think of that occasionally pronounces it in correct German.

Sir Sonic

Jan 14, 2020
Persian-speaking dude here.... It was Dishonored
Differing from دیسآنرد (the right pronunciation) to دیشونرد and دیسهانورد or دیشونورِد

A lot of my friends called GTA weirdly "GTI" dunno where that came from

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
for the record I pronounced ICO as eye-co for over a decade, and kind of still do
I swear there was some publication back in the day when it was previewed or reviewed that specifically stated it was pronounced "eye-co." Which always confused me because ee-co seems the much more natural way to pronounce it.

ninja gaiden has to be the most prolific mispronunciation out there.