• If you have been following the news, you should be aware that the people of Lebanon have been under a violent bombardment that has recently escalated. Please consider donating to help them if you can or trying to spread word of the fundraiser.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2023
I understand it's a terribly meager act but I am praying for everyone aboard the vessel. That's all that I have as someone who is both scared and powerless. If their fate is truly sealed I can only hope mercy was shown and their passing was both swift and painless. I think I'm going to hold my SO and our puppies a little tighter tonight.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
In the case of an implosion, would that make finding the remains impossible or simply more difficult? I read an article where a team did an experiment of draining the pressure from a basketball and reducing it to the size of a golf ball.

Also, there are suggestions that this vessel may have got tangled into the shipwreck itself. I read that this Titan capsule weighs around ten tons. Would that weight be enough to barrel into and breach the rotting deck of the Titanic itself?
I don't really know anything for sure but I can't imagine they would be easy to find no matter what the situation is.

Yeda Anna

Alt-Account
Banned
May 22, 2023
I'm actually shocked that in 2023, humanity still hasn't been able to develop technology that makes the logistics of exploring the insane depths of our oceans and the pressures they exert feasible in any way, shape or form.

It's a terrifying prospect and a reminder of just how alien the ocean remains. I wonder if we'll ever get to a point where we make advancements like we've seen in space technology or if it will continue to largely remain a mystery.

Not enough funding or strong enough reasons to do it. Same reason why 90% of Amazon is unexplored. Leaders of the world has decided to explore space, so thats where the funding is.

eleuin

Oct 25, 2017
So did everyone have to pay to get on the sub or nah, even if they aren't all billionaires you aren't just a random person to be able to afford that

Anyways I know any farts are getting crazy in there as the oxygen runs out

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
I don't think so. Someone who was there was talking about the walls being damp from sweat. Very humid. That's the body heat of five people in a small space, and the water is about 40F outside.
Not to mention fecal matter and (in my estimation) vomit. What a way to go. I hope for their sake that the gravity of their situation never crossed their minds. I think of John Kennedy Jr.'s fatal flight to Martha's Vineyard. He supposedly didn't know what hit him until it was too late. He was also not very adept at reading navigation instruments and relied on his eyes to guide him during the hazy flight.

EDIT:

Hey, does anyone know if Robert Ballard has had anything to say about this? It's to my understanding that the french navigator of the Titan was part of the expedition crew that found Titanic in 1985. I think he may have even been featured briefly in the award winning documentary that aired on A&E in the 1990's. I have it on DVD. I should check it out to see if he's on it. He and Ballard would have more than likely collaborated in some way or another back in the 1980's.

Last edited:

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I don't think so. Someone who was there was talking about the walls being damp from sweat. Very humid. That's the body heat of five people in a small space, and the water is about 40F outside.
I'm definitely not an expert but at thousands of meters down it gets very cold I definitely don't think it's 40 F
If the sub wasn't insulated correctly it would probably be very cold in there.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'm definitely not an expert but at thousands of meters down it gets very cold I definitely don't think it's 40 F
I'm not an expert either, but figure its worth pointing out that the floor temperature here is around 0C or 32F. Cursory googling landed on 36.5F for me.

Last edited:

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023

I saw a Piers Morgan newcast that interviewed an ABC anchor who visited the site in 2000. He said that the three man vessel he was a passenger nearly got stuck in one of the Titanic's proprellers. He was very emotional about it. I imagine if the crew of the Titan fell anywhere near the Titanic they wouldn't have been able to see anything based on the assumption that their power went out.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1280px-THERMOCLINE.png

This graph was posted earlier.

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
Man, this story just gets worse and worse. Hoping for the best and hopefully this type of thing gets stricter regulation and oversight.

There definitely needs to be something that is the equivalent of the International Ice Patrol or some decree or stipulation that provides a check on these sorts of ventures. It makes me wonder what safety provisions there are for these commercial orbital flights.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff posts
Darwin Awards getting a lot of competition

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
That Xbox Controller news is just a stupid sidenote where media can make headlines with...

Iirc xbox controller even are used in the military for some robots and drones...
if there is a back up (like there usually is for every crucial part) I dont see why there shouldnt be a controller used to control that thing.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
After reading about it, you could not pay me $250,000 to go in that sub. It's controlled with a Logitec gamepad you'd find in a bargain bin for fucks sake.

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
Darwin Awards getting a lot of competition
Let's not get too grim here. No one could have possibly seen this happening, even as plausible as it may have seemed before it even happened.
After reading about it, you could not pay me $250,000 to go in that sub. It's controlled with a Logitec gamepad you'd find in a bargain bin for fucks sake.

How many expeditions were made to the Titanic? Is this a case where the operators poked the bear so many times without being bitten that they assumed that they were untouchable?

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Let's not get too grim here. No one could have possibly seen this happening, even as plausible as it may have seemed before it even happened.

How many expeditions were made to the Titanic? Is this a case where the operators poked the bear so many times without being bitten that they assumed that they were untouchable?
The CEO of the company is on the record saying 'at some point, safety is pure waste.'

I actually think this is a pretty predictable result when you have that kind of culture toward safety and operate an extreme deep sea tourism venture.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hahaha I hope this is sarcasm because they literally fired an employee who warned the company about how unsafe it all was back in 2018
This is criminal negligence

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
The CEO of the company is on the record saying 'at some point, safety is pure waste.'

I actually think this is a pretty predictable result when you have that kind of culture toward safety and operate and extreme deep sea tourism venture.

Well, let's hope that this brings about the change that is needed to prevent this from happening in the future. My parents visited the Harland & Wolf museum a couple years back and marveled at their Titanic exhibit. Why couldn't these folks have just taken a trip to Belfast or Southhampton if they were so eager to get their Titanic fix?

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'll throw in a recommendation for anyone interested in the design and use of a submersible properly engineered for deep sea exploration to watch the documentary Cameron made about going to the Challenger Deep at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

It's amazing stuff and is essentially the opposite of everything OceanGate did.

It's on YouTube- free for me but I'm not sure if that's because I have a Premium subscription.
Do you have a link?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When rich people activities goes wrong, who's paying for their search and rescue?

In open ocean with no jurisdiction it's not clear, but I believe some US navy or research vessels have been brought in in to try to help with a rescue or search. In that case, American tax payers will be footing some of this bill likely through the military budget.

Personally, I don't really care about the possible lost expense there. Occasionally there will be stories about people who get lost hiking or whatever, and I don't think it's right to ask questions about how much money they have when it comes to the ethics of a search and rescue. If they doing it multiple times, who knows, my opinion might change, at some point you have to take responsibility. But personally if there's something that can be done then it doesn't really bother me when public funds are used to potentially save someone's life, rich or not.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

After a certain point, the deeper you go into the ocean it becomes hotter because you're getting closer to the Earth's crust

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it the pressure that's creating heat?

I don't know the specifics about that particular area and depth and it's probably a multitude of factors, but what I said is probably part of it:

education.nationalgeographic.org

Deep Sea Hydrothermal Vents

Explore how the 1977 discovery of hydrothermal vent ecosystems in the deep ocean shocked scientists and redefined our understanding of the requirements for life.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just the dwindling air supply.

It's the hunger.
The fear and dread.
The smell of piss and shit.
The lack of any real noise.
The claustrophobia.

I'm having a nightmare thinking about this. Part of me hopes that if they are destined to die, that it happened a while ago in a quick way due to pressure, instead of an absolutely agonizing few days.

Obviously ideally they'll be rescued.
Yeah it's absolutely horrific to think about. I think honestly I'm going to stop reading about this story for a bit. It's too much.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
That James Cameron documentary is incredible and really puts what Oceangate was doing into perspective. He was able to have audio communication with his team even at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, which is 3x deeper. There's no reason Oceangate couldn't have done the same except for being cheap.

Highly recommend this documentary, you can really see how many failsafes he included and how they saved his life. His team tested the weights to hell in every conceivable orientation to make sure he'd be able to drop them and get back to the surface no matter what. And he prepped for even less likely stuff like a capsule fire.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know the specifics about that particular area and depth and it's probably a multitude of factors, but what I said is probably part of it:

Explore how the 1977 discovery of hydrothermal vent ecosystems in the deep ocean shocked scientists and redefined our understanding of the requirements for life.

The hydrothermal vents are only located at certain parts of the ocean. Most other areas are near freezing.

PtM

Dec 7, 2017

Thanks for the link. The video says these vents only locally change the temperature and also mentions near-freezing depths. Pressure only keeps the hot water from boiling and flowing fast.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Absolute nightmare scenario for me. I hope if they do pass it has already happened and happened instantly. Wouldn't wish this on absolutely anyone.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
It's not just the dwindling air supply.

It's the hunger.
The fear and dread.
The smell of piss and shit.
The lack of any real noise.
The claustrophobia.

I'm having a nightmare thinking about this. Part of me hopes that if they are destined to die, that it happened a while ago in a quick way due to pressure, instead of an absolutely agonizing few days.

Obviously ideally they'll be rescued.
Lastly, some will have more stamina than others so they won't pass simultaneously. They'll watch as other people die until it gets to their turn. This is pure torture. Which body regulates this kind of tourism? This company will have a lot to answer for

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Imagine being trapped in that thing and it's on the surface just bobbing in the open ocean. You have the hope of being rescued. However, as it drags on, it's gotta become a negative and source of frustration and agony. Also, the thing you need, oxygen, is right on the other side of the glass/metal, but you have no way to get to it. I'd rather be at the bottom of the ocean at that point, at least you know your fate.

Everyone keeps saying this but I would rather be on the surface then some alien environment where I'm surrounded by water and knowledge of certain death. Rather I'd rather have some chance at hope then be sitting days knowing that death is pretty much certain.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

www.nytimes.com

OceanGate Was Warned of Potential for ‘Catastrophic’ Problems With Titanic Mission

Experts inside and outside the company warned of potential dangers and urged the company to undergo a certification process.

Apparently a total of 3 trips including this one. 1 out of 3 time something went scarily wrong (getting lost for hours). 1 out of 3 time (this time) possibly fatal.

1/3 normal trip record.

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
www.nytimes.com

OceanGate Was Warned of Potential for ‘Catastrophic’ Problems With Titanic Mission

Experts inside and outside the company warned of potential dangers and urged the company to undergo a certification process.

Apparently a total of 3 trips including this one. 1 out of 3 time something went scarily wrong (getting lost for hours). 1 out of 3 time (this time) possibly fatal.
That's a crappy track record. Why did it have to come to this before anyone took notice? Do they know how much field testing was done on the Titan before using it for deep sea diving. Just crazy. And you could never pay me enough to go on one of these dives.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
www.rollingstone.com

Searchers for Titanic Tourist Sub Heard 'Banging' From Area, Internal Comms Reveal

Internal email updates to DHS leadership obtained by Rolling Stone show searchers heard "banging" in the area where Titan submersible disappeared.

"RCC Halifax launched a P8, Poseidon, which has underwater detection capabilities from the air," the DHS e-mails read. "The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard." The announcement did not state what time the banging was heard, or what was thought to have caused it.

An e-mail sent Tuesday afternoon from the president of the travel and research group, the Explorers Society, stated, "It is being reported that at 2 a.m. local time on site that sonar detected potential 'tapping sounds' at the location, implying crew may be alive and signaling." The Boston Coast Guard, which is leading the rescue efforts, did not immediately reply to a request for comment on the reported tapping sounds.

A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the "situation looks bleak," adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven't heard any noise since yesterday.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): ignoring staff post
Well, let's hope that this brings about the change that is needed to prevent this from happening in the future. My parents visited the Harland & Wolf museum a couple years back and marveled at their Titanic exhibit. Why couldn't these folks have just taken a trip to Belfast or Southhampton if they were so eager to get their Titanic fix?

Because people this wealthy look at that and go, "That's for fucking peasants lol." They're bored and they have to find new ways to flaunt and brag about their wealth, doing shit like this. I wonder how many times they even appreciate what the hell they see and do during these kinds of trips and how much is just to be able to tell people they did it.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this whole shit just seems completely beyond my understanding. Can't imagine spending $250k to go gawk at a deep sea graveyard in a can that becomes your own grave.

steejee

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.