• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I still think Half-life 2 is the best, but it's certainly the one of the best in a very long time. Personally I think Doom just beats it out because the Titan sections seemed a bit dull. I also didn't really care for the story. The pilot sections were much better and the time travel level is perfect in so many ways. Too bad we will probably never see a sequel

Jun 17, 2018
It's a bloody great campaign, I just wish it was a little longer, which is weird for me as I usually get burnt out by the end of SP FPS games.

Not sure if it's the best one I've played since I've replayed half life 2 maybe 5 or 6 times.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah I'd rate it up there with infinite warfares campaign as the best this gen for fps campaigns. I'd give them both a 9.5/10. Both epic.

I'm about 80% through bulletstorm. Got it free with ps plus. It reminds me a little of titan fall but not as good. I'd rate that an 8/10. Well worth playing for free.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a good-ass campaign.

The mission objectives and level design mostly all play to the strengths of the core gameplay, which goes a long way in making a campaign enjoyable. Having each level have a new gameplay and story focus helped keep it feeling fresh throughout.

I'd argue some combination of the above is most important in order to have a good action campaign. Even if a game just has serviceable core combat, if the game can build engaging scenarios around that gameplay that get the player to make full and clever use of their that gameplay.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I still think Half-life 2 is the best, but it's certainly the one of the best in a very long time. Personally I think Doom just beats it out because the Titan sections seemed a bit dull. I also didn't really care for the story. The pilot sections were much better and the time travel level is perfect in so many ways. Too bad we will probably never see a sequel
Respawn are working on more titanfall games, they even have job openings specifically for titan fall.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It really was pretty great. I hate playing with the robot unfortunately. I think the Metro games are the best post-Half-Life FPS campaigns though.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'm always surprised how much praise the campaign gets.

The mixtape matchmaking and multiplayer was always the shining star of the game.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
It's one of the best modern FPS campaigns for sure, up there alongside Wolfenstein 1 and 2. Two or three of the levels are absolutely mind blowing.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think I'll ever understand how often Wolfenstein TNC always gets mentioned for this topic. To me there's so many things wrong with it I would struggle to even call it good, let alone the contender for best.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Yep, it is. Loved the campaign from the beggining to the end, traversal, gunplay, level design, boss battles and one of the best endings ( and that post-credits scene T_T).

Was a game I bought for the multiplayer. Hated it ( Titanfall 1 was miles better) but the campaign make it worth it.

If they do Titanfall 3 I would be there day 0 because I love this franchise a lot and would support whatever they do.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I don't think I'll ever understand how often Wolfenstein TNC always gets mentioned for this topic. To me there's so many things wrong with it I would struggle to even call it good, let alone the contender for best.
Was just about to make a similar post. I dug the characters, story, music, and general atmosphere for sure, but the actual *game* part... well, it didn't live up to the rest of the package. I wanted to like it much more than I did, but it just didn't feel good to play at all, compared to just about any major FPS I've played in the last two gens.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
So good!

One thing it doesnt get enough credit for is that it was perfectly paced, and didn't out stay its welcome.

I loved that i could actually finish a game for once!

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Yeah it was amazing. So many epic moments and great story and visuals. Redrawn did a heck of a job with Titanfall 2.

Respawn's single-player pedigree is giving me hope that something good is finally coming out of the deal betwee EA and Star Wars.
I believe they can create a great campaign in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Whats special about it? Finished it cant remember a thing.
Controls re best in industry and mp s amazing. Single? Nah

Nov 18, 2017
The developers you're dissing include the lead developer of The Last of Us, set piece designers from Uncharted, and writing and acting by the illustrious Brian Bloom.

Titanfall 2 is personally far weaker than MW2/BF4 narratively. Jesse Stern was off his game. The game has a string of paper thin antagonists you meet and then kill. It's shallow, feelgood good guys vs bad guys.

TF2 is a good game -- a great one, even -- but it doesn't manage to surpass Infinite Warfare, IMO, which had a better robot buddy and overall better writing and mission design. Also TF2 borrows a lot from Crysis 2, but has tiny-ass levels with constant loadbreaks instead of Crysis 2's sprawling combat bubbles.

TF2 gets heaps of praise for a mission that's basically Gemini: Heroes Reborn with guns. People acted as though it was a revelation of game design when another game did the same thing almost a year earlier.

That OP admits they haven't played Call of Duty in years because they saw them as "dudebro" while gushing over a game that's basically Call of Duty published by EA strikes me as a sad reminder of how much branding plays into a game's perception. If the game had been called Call of Duty: Titanfall 2, I imagine the OP would have skipped it too. Just something I ponder.

I love that you feel this strongly about infinite warfare, fuck it im moved, ill check it out. But i would like to atleast point out that no single individual is responsible for the quality of a game. Warren Spector worked on both Deus Ex & Epic Mickey 2 doesnt make him entirely responsible for the quality of either game. That and i dont rate uncharted as highly as most people here tbh.

Ive gotta to admit i avoided infinite warfare because of CoD's wavering reputation, the last 3 games i played were black ops 1, Ghosts & advanced warfare and i found them all trash to be honest. Knowing the infinity ward guys who made Modern Warfare 2 moved onto respawn and that TF2 was their first single player follow up to MW2 had me excited and i thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. But if your saying Infinite Warfare has been overlooked due to CoD's mainstream success and that its also a worthy follow up then i can atleast give it a try!

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I love that you feel this strongly about infinite warfare, fuck it im moved, ill check it out. But i would like to atleast point out that no single individual is responsible for the quality of a game. Warren Spector worked on both Deus Ex & Epic Mickey 2 doesnt make him entirely responsible for the quality of either game. That and i dont rate uncharted as highly as most people here tbh.

Ive gotta to admit i avoided infinite warfare because of CoD's wavering reputation, the last 3 games i played were black ops 1, Ghosts & advanced warfare and i found them all trash to be honest. Knowing the infinity ward guys who made Modern Warfare 2 moved onto respawn and that TF2 was their first single player follow up to MW2 had me excited and i thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. But if your saying Infinite Warfare has been overlooked due to CoD's mainstream success and that its also a worthy follow up then i can atleast give it a try!

Infinite Warfare is without doubt one of the strongest CoD campaigns period. Everything from the art design, gameplay and characters were all very strong. The excellence of the campaign was hurt by the overarching negativity towards the CoD multiplayer and the fact that TF2 had two amazing levels that everyone raved endlessly about.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ive gotta to admit i avoided infinite warfare because of CoD's wavering reputation, the last 3 games i played were black ops 1, Ghosts & advanced warfare and i found them all trash to be honest.
Black Ops 1 and Advanced Warfare are extremely highly regarded games. I'm not sure what wavering reputation you're taking about. Ghosts is more divisive for good reason. If you found something like Black Ops with its amazing writing/plotting thanks to David Goyer, mindscrew twists, intense set pieces, and electrifying performance from Gary Oldman to be "trash", I dunno what to say. Infinite Warfare is essentially a Wing Commander-inspired game cut from the same cloth as Squadron 42. You hated Advanced Warfare, which was a very acclaimed campaign by former Dead Space developers that cleverly cribbed design ideas from Crysis 2 much like Titanfall 2 did, and featured some stellar casting reprised from Brothers in Arms.

If you thought that game was terrible, all bets are off to be honest. I'm not saying disliking those games is wrong or anything, but "trash" is pretty strong.

Edit: on another note, IW is basically Ghosts in space with Wing Commander stuff on top. Except Ghosts was already in space. Because Ghosts 2 was untenable they clearly rolled a lot of ideas into the game they COULD make. The bad guys are basically The Federation, but in space... more. There's an important scene in IW that is a straight up retread of the immensely moving Mosley/Baker sequence from Ghosts. While IW is a very clearly a better game overall, there was something incredibly raw and genuine about Ghosts in places. Its version of that scene makes me cry sometimes. IW's version not so much.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I keep hearing about how good it is and yet I still haven't tried it. I might have it already through PS+ so if I do I'll see about whipping through it on normal.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
i dont think i played a Cod game since the OG 2nd one.

Never considered it at all, just think of it as a Bro shooter.

Definitely give it a try, Infinite Warfare has a very good campaign, probably one of the best out of all cods.

This is from someone who also loved TF2 SP.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for reminding me. I should really seek this out soon on PC.

Been a while since I played an FPS campaign.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It really is one of the best, also doesnt stay for too long unlike doom which was just too long for its own good.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Such an amazing and ferociously underrated game. The fact a FPS has cool boss fights in this day and age is amazing.

mcgrem

Dec 13, 2017
I know people have a lot of reasons to be mad at EA this gen...but the way they treated Titanfall 2 is their most unforgivable sin for me.

I sincerely hope Respawn's Star Wars game is a hit for them. Bring on T3!

Could not agree more. I got Titanfall 2 for super cheap at a local retailer when I was just finishing up my new PC and it was the perfect non-stop action / buddy cop / epic war story to give that machine a go. Multiplayer was really solid, too. Respawn did an amazing job on this game and it is a shame that it got buried between CoD and Battlefield.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was decent, it was more a story wrapped around an extended training simulator ie learning to fight the various Titans.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I got this game together with a PS+ Subscription (It was a bundle deal for Asia users).

And yeah, the campaign is really good, BT is the best robot buddy.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I loved it all until the last boss fight . . . basically just some random lacky, not the person you were leading up to for the entire game. Then the fight itself was unimpressive to me. I loved the game though. Especially the level that keeps changing time periods.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
My 2016 GOTY. I am not sure if it has the greatest FPS singleplayer of all-time, but I have to go back a decade before I could find anything close.

Also the multiplayer was great. The best FPS multiplayer I played since MW2.

So overrated to me. I mean it was good but what exactly made it special? Call of Duty Infinite Warfare came out around the same time and was far better.

The movement of TF2 alone was superior over IW. It was like TF2 did everything right that the CoD franchise was trying to do at the time.

Nov 14, 2017
I really don't understand the immense hype about this campaign. I've played it and thought it was good.
After all the love I've seen over and over again in ERA and reddit, I've played again to see if I was missing something and thought it was good again...

I know there are a couple of really creative missions, very cool, but how is this the best campaign in an FPS game? Specially with Wolfenstein The New Order, DOOM, Resistance 3, etc... that are available.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
One of those rare current gen AAA games that you can play multiple times just for fun and not for trophies/collectibles.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's a great SP mode with an engaging and fun MP mode. Gives me hope for the sequels.