• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been finally going to Xenoblade 2, I've been on and off playing it for a long long time now. I've gotten to Chapter 7 and I was thinking to myself: "Man, leveling is really slow and enemies are gaining a lot of levels over my party".

Thus I google how to level fast and a website tells me all about the whole: "Rest at inn and apply bonus exp to party" mechanic... I completely had forgotten that was a thing so I went literally chapter upon chapters not doing it and so my exp had a toooon of bonus exp and they skyrocketed in levels. It seems like it's the main way to level up in the game, since killing enemies doesn't net you that much.

When has this happen you ya'll? Either from playing a game on and off or simply not paying attention.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I forgot about the parry mechanic in MGR until I had to use it in the Monsoon fight

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i remember back in the old place someone made a thread about metal gear rising and didn't realize that you could parry attacks because they skipped the tutorial

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I played through all of Control without realizing there is a shield ability.

I forgot that Quickenings can be chained in FF12 as using the x4 speed option in Switch I never really needed them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot to use grenades/ice grenades in doom eternal a lot, especially later game when things go crazy. Can only focus on so much and grenades are in the bottom rung.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Parrying on my first playthrough of Dark Souls. Only noticed it after going through the tutorial again in NG+.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot about lightning parries for Sekiro's final boss. Fuckin yikes that was tough. But I did it after a few hours.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
I forgot about using Chihaya to raise confidant points in Persona 5. Would have really helped me finish a lot of slinks, lol.

Solobbos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't use the special attacks that used the paper doll consumables in Sekiro at all. Thought it was nicer to learn the bosses without additional help from stuns.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls: 'wait, parrying?'
DS 2: 'wait, parrying?'
DS 3: 'wait, parrying?'
Bloodborne, Maria Fight: 'OH GOD PARRYING'

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot that holding down your Sign button in The Witcher 3 is how you use a lot of your alt/upgraded abilities. Didn't know about the crazy OP spin attack until I played Blood & Wine.

ScampyDamp

Banned
May 8, 2020
Parrying on my first playthrough of Dark Souls. Only noticed it after going through the tutorial again in NG+.
Forgot about lightning parries for Sekiro's final boss. Fuckin yikes that was tough. But I did it after a few hours.
Didn't use the special attacks that used the paper doll consumables in Sekiro at all. Thought it was nicer to learn the bosses without additional help from stuns.
Dark Souls: 'wait, parrying?'
DS 2: 'wait, parrying?'
DS 3: 'wait, parrying?'
Bloodborne, Maria Fight: 'OH GOD PARRYING'
Oh thank god i'm not the only one. I forget about parrying in every single game.....also because I always suck at it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot about being able to set passives and combat arts for units in Three Houses for about three quarters of the game. The game was so easy that it never occurred to me that I would ever change anything other than equipment or battalions.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I definitely forgot about Cloud's Punisher counter in FF7R until the last couple chapters of the game. And even then the boss fights and unique encounters in those chapters were so crazy and multi-layered that I had no time to safely experiment with it until I completed the game. Which of course was how I learned that actually the encounters were exactly that insane and crazy because I didn't know how Punisher counters worked, haha.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Very first time I played The Last of Us back on PS3, I played for short while and stopped. Then when I came back to it a couple of months later I found the game really difficult and frustrating. And didn't enjoy it at all.

Wind forward to PS4 and I decided to give it another chance when TLoU Remastered came out. It was then that I realised I'd forgotten about Listen Mode which is why I'd found it so difficult before lol. Like, the main mechanic in the game. What a pleb.

TBF I used to do shit like this all the time because I'd always be juggling too many games. Now I only ever play one or two games at a time, so luckily I no longer face this issue.

Hackworth

Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about damage types in Xenoblade 2, with the result that I got ruined by Spike Damage until I looked up a walkthrough for the one story boss which deals lots of it.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the end of Skyward Sword forgetting entirely there was a shield forward thrust move that you basically needed to use on the final battle, which produced a "good time" for me.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot to use grenades/ice grenades in doom eternal a lot, especially later game when things go crazy. Can only focus on so much and grenades are in the bottom rung.
Same. Took me a while to remember they existed.
That didn't happen to me, but I can understand that. The game gives you so many options to be aggressive that it's probably easy to forget about a certain move or ability that you have.

Reminds me of what JTB123 (the Ninja Gaiden streamer) likes to say about the new Doom games, "They're just as much action games as they are first-person shooters" ("action games" meaning like Ninja Gaiden, character/spectacle action games like DMC, you know...)

Oct 25, 2017
I went my entire first run of Infamous (hero mode) not realizing that I could upgrade my powers. Needless to say, my evil run was much easier.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not me, but I know many people who didn't know you could integrate gadgets into combos in Arkham Knight combat.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jellyfying your team in wonderful 101. I kept forgetting I should do that instead of just evading.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Very first time I played The Last of Us back on PS3, I played for short while and stopped. Then when I came back to it a couple of months later I found the game really difficult and frustrating. And didn't enjoy it at all.

Wind forward to PS4 and I decided to give it another chance when TLoU Remastered came out. It was then that I realised I'd forgotten about Listen Mode which is why I'd found it so difficult before lol. Like, the main mechanic in the game. What a pleb.

TBF I used to do shit like this all the time because I'd always be juggling too many games. Now I only ever play one or two games at a time, so luckily I no longer face this issue.
Listen mode makes things easier but as long as you have stereo speakers, you don't really need it. It's even disabled on the Survivor and Grounded difficulties.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The levels of materia in ff7r lol

it wasn't till CHapter 17 did I realize I have to scroll through the different levels of spells to use em lol

up until that point I was just getting by with the base versions

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Parrying in Dark Souls. Only remembered how to do it at the final boss...and it trivialized him. I kinda wish I'd remembered during early NG+ instead, as it made the last showdown really anticlimactic. :-/
I picked up Dark Souls after giving up about 6 months prior. Took an hour or so before I remembered lock on was a thing.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Not the same thing but I basically don't know how to fight at all in BOTW. Never lock on or do any of that.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I recently missed the fact that, in FFVIIR, Cloud will auto-parry physical attacks in Punisher mode if you hold down R1.

I thought you could only parry manually.

200w.gif

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I played about 40 hours of Breath of the Wild before I ever cooked something. First time I came across a pot, I chucked a few things in and ended up with rotten food every time. Just assumed I was supposed to use specific recipes that I hadn't come across yet. Didn't even really think about the mechanic until I was almost at the end of my run and decided to chuck some things in and they just worked lol. I really don't know what I cooked that first time to get rotten food, because I cooked dozens of things after that and never ended up with it again lol.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Playing through Doom 3 ROE and I totally forgot about he time slowing artifact after I was required to use it that one time. Would have made that game a LOT easier!

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played 80 hours of Monster Hunter: World like fashion souls whilst completely ignoring Jewels, Elemental Boosts and other quality of life perks.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
I played like 70% of Doom Eternal without realizing you use those points to upgrade the weapons. I thought you just unlocked the 1 or 2 abilities from the stations and that was it. LOL. Was making the game 10x harder on myself.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
I used to love Sailor Moon and the first time I've played Sailor Moon Another Story on snes (it's a GREAT game) it was in japanese. I didn't know you have equips, so I've grinded A LOT to beat most of the bosses without gear.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot you can hold items behind you in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

I bought the Wii U version on launch and new this but the last few months of playing it on Switch I completely forgot.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
In a recent example, I played through Gears Tactics and kicked a ticker exactly once. It wasn't even that I wasn't aware of it, I just couldn't for the life of me remember that the option was there.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I've probably replayed Super Metroid 15 or so times. I always forget I can run. I always conflate running with the speed booster upgrade. Noob bridge gets me every time.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played the tutorial of Fallout 3 and then saved and didn't pick the game back up till a couple weeks later. Boy was I having a hard time out in the Wasteland without using VATS.

May 10, 2018
Parrying in MGR.

I didn't know you could change keyblades in KH1 until quite a while into the game.

Item Creation in Star Ocean 3. I honestly didn't forget about this one, I just didn't understand it on my 1st playthrough.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I had a classmate who got all the way up through Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne and beat him...and she didn't know about healing. I know the game teaches you so it's hard to say whether this is a case of forgot or not. But she didn't recognize anything was wrong because she had heard the game was stupid hard.

Dakb

Apr 20, 2018
I remember when I first started playing monster hunter as a kid many years ago and I didn't know about armor skills. Those were some rough times.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing I looked at this thread cause I totally forgot about that Inn thing in XC2.

And going through XC1, I didn't know you could warp to older maps and I'm pretty much in the final few hours of the game :| Also, that there's a collectable thing (Critterpedia) that I had no idea existed until I was watching previews for the remake :| I don't think I was playing XC1 properly but here I am just about to finish the game

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Kid me:
Jak 3 is pretty good but man it's stingy and should give me more health items from boxes instead of ammo and eco..

Jak 3 literally gives you the power to heal yourself and I never once used it.
latest