• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IE: Change that can't be explained by character development.

I did a re-read of Fullmetal Alchemist this month and right in the first chapter when Ed confronts Cornello he outright tells him that if he gives him the Philosopher's Stone then he'll keep quiet on the fact that Cornello's building a fake religion to create an army of cultists to take over the country. Cornello fights back and the stone breaks, so it never really comes up again, but then a similar scenario happens in Chapter 8 when he meets Dr. Marcoh, who presents him with a Philosopher's Stone of his own creation, and later when he's leaving Armstrong asks him he why didn't just forcibly take it to get his his brother's body back and Ed replies that he could, but he saw how many people relied on Marcoh and couldn't bring himself to do it, and wouldn't want to steal it either way.

The change is even more pronounced as early as Chapter 3, the first one after leaving Liore, where Ed and Al go to a mining town owned by a crooked military official. Ed's kicked out of his inn for being a State Alchemist and calmly rationalizes that everyone hates him for signing up with the military, then leaps back in to save the kid of the innkeeper who threw him out in the first place. When pressed why he won't help make gold for the miners so they can pay their taxes he tells them the money would just end up in the official's vaults and they should all leave town if it sucks that bad, and one of the miners tells him that it's not about the job, the mines are their home and lives, which immediately leads to Ed devising a plan to break the law by making gold, buying the deed to the mines, and then handing it over back to the miners to screw over the military official.

This isn't really a CinemaSins style nitpick fest searching for plot holes, and I can plainly see stuff like this happen in instances where stories are written in installments where the world and characters aren't totally established as what they will eventually become. I'm just wondering how often this happens.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
In Witcher 1, Triss was basically a stand in for Yennefer. In Witcher 2, she had a personality transplant and was actually Triss.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
JoJo part 3, Avdol starts as a stoic badass. The comes back as a goofy catchphrase guy. Then hes just there to react to the shit everyone else does for the rest of the show.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
JoJo part 3, Avdol starts as a stoic badass. The comes back as a goofy catchphrase guy. Then hes just there to react to the shit everyone else does for the rest of the show.

Yeah I imagine this is the kind of thing that would be really prevalent in weekly comics, where there's this constant need to keep writing new stuff while all the old material piles up behind you but still has to be consistent.

That's probably why "Araki forgot" became such a joke, because there are plenty of times where a character will do something they never will later on either in terms of personality or with their Stand abilities.

Nov 17, 2017
I hate what they did to Avdol especially since he's the only black character in the show. He's so underused which doesn't need to happen when characters like Polnareff get uneven spotlight. It's like Araki didn't know what to do with him.

He also killed him twice. Fucking twice!

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Aunt Viv.

Obviously the actress was changed, but they rewrote her personality at the same time.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Going way back, Andy Taylor in The Andy Griffith Show. Early seasons of the show, he was closer to the bubbly character he played in No Time for Sergeants. In later seasons, he largely became a humorless grump.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this happens a lot. The stoic guy who is a loner with a mysterious past befriends the protagonist after they learn they have similar goals. The extra screen time of this enigmatic loner reveals them to be not so scary, oftentimes resulting in them becoming the comic relief. Drax is a good example.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

In defense of Avdol
he did survive a gunshot to the head
I think that's a fairly reasonable explanation for a personality shift.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Andy from Parks & Rec turns into an entirely different character after season 1 and it's for the best because it made him much more likable.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently watching Mob Psycho for the first time, it's so good. But I think this applies to Teru. I get he goes through growth after getting his ass handed to him by Shigeo but damn he's like an entirely different person afterwards.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
When they recast Arjun Avasarala in The Expanse the character also got what felt like a total personality transplant.

Miles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego, CA
Andy Dwyer from Parks and Rec. Season 1 shows him as the jerk boyfriend to Ann. After that they make him into a silly loveable goof for the rest of the series. It's definitely a great change, but you can tell that they didn't have a plan for him in the first season besides being the equivalent to "Pam's fiancee" from The Office.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Twelfth Doctor - Doctor Who.

Now, I'm not referring to the usual reinvention the Doctor goes through upon bringing in a new actor. That's to be expected. But with Peter Capaldi, they basically reworked his Doctor's character each series, as if they weren't sure exactly what he was supposed to be.

Series 8 - Prickly alien holding back his emotions in search of moral identity
Series 9 - Aging rockstar blasting through the cosmos, rebelling against injustice
Series 10 - Mysterious, quirky professor eager to teach and learn

He's definitely the most inconsistent of all the Doctors.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
In negima, Asuna was basically Naru 2.0 from Love Hina.

Fans Complained and her personality was somewhat altered in later chapters, becoming less hostile to Negi and more a big sister to him. Her status as a love interest was also abandoned and moved to another character.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Andy Bernard, the thread. I just feel like The Office couldn't figure out what to do with him at any given point. Especially during the last seasons when he drops his entire life to go chase after Erin, and then immediately treats her like shit the moment they're together.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Columbo.

Before he became the shambolic-looking, quiet genius of a homicide investigator that we know, in the first ever episode (Prescription for Murder), he looked straight out of the army and had a much more aggressive, confrontational approach to interrogations.

Oct 28, 2017
In a good way. Goro Majima's character was all over the map in the original Yakuza games until they seemed to have settled on his identity.

0 is so far his best representation and they found the character's voice, retconing a bit to make the character "work". It's a bit of reverse character development if that counts.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Tyron's critical thinking skills took a huge nosedive as soon as GoT ran out of source material.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I liked when Claire and, um, whoever Chris Pratt (Owen? I'm going to say Owen) played in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom literally swapped personalities with each other.

Her in JW: cares nothing about the dinosaurs
Him: cares deeply about the dinosaurs

Her in JW Fallen Kingdom: fighting passionately for the dinosaurs
Him: cares nothing about the dinosaurs

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Devil May Cry the thread

Dante (DMC1): Bad ass pre-uncle
Dante (DMC2): Anti-Social soulless expression extraordinaire
Dante (DMC3): Punk rock band member

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because he tries to do something in Chapter 1 that a handful of chapters later says he'd never do.

I'm going to re-emphasize that this wasn't a complaint.

huh?

i think there is a difference between taking the stone from someone manipulating people into a cult

and someone using the stone to heal people,

no?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In ROS I didn't buy that Kylo Ren would let Palpatine manipulate after him he killed Snoke. "Kill the Past" he would have cut through him as soon as Palpatine faced him in the lab at the beginning.

OP
OP
Weiss

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh?

i think there is a difference between taking the stone from someone manipulating people into a cult

and someone using the stone to heal people,

no?

Except Ed makes it clear to Cornello that if he can have the stone then he'll keep quiet on Cornello raising a cult that he has stated he intends to raise into an army. He's getting what he wants at the cost of an entire city falling further prey to a cult leader.

Then a few chapters later he meets a guy who can just flat out make Philosopher's Stones and says he doesn't want to get his and Al's body's back at the expense of somebody else.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Elaine being a piece of shit for the last couple seasons in Seinfeld. David left and the writers seemed to say "let's have her be the visual representation of our ideas about humanity". Never sat well with me.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Twelfth Doctor - Doctor Who.

Now, I'm not referring to the usual reinvention the Doctor goes through upon bringing in a new actor. That's to be expected. But with Peter Capaldi, they basically reworked his Doctor's character each series, as if they weren't sure exactly what he was supposed to be.

Series 8 - Prickly alien holding back his emotions in search of moral identity
Series 9 - Aging rockstar blasting through the cosmos, rebelling against injustice
Series 10 - Mysterious, quirky professor eager to teach and learn

He's definitely the most inconsistent of all the Doctors.

Capaldi was my first Doctor in the new series. I did not realize that this was not normal.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
In a good way. Goro Majima's character was all over the map in the original Yakuza games until they seemed to have settled on his identity.

0 is so far his best representation and they found the character's voice, retconing a bit to make the character "work". It's a bit of reverse character development if that counts.
i kinda agree in the first game his personality is sort of strange and not in a good way but beyond that it was much better.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Flanders is the origin of the term that describes this Flanderization

Flanders in early season wasn't as religious as he became later he was just the good neighbor and good family man that got his shit together that annoyed Homer as a result he became a religious nutjob later on

You could probably fill this with simpsons characters

Last edited: