• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Fuck yeah. Tim worked with Saber through Quake Champions so no surprises here. Fortune wrote an article on Tim returning to his indie roots through Saber. Check it out here.
As CCO, Willits will help Saber shape its overarching creative vision, helping the company expand its existing player base and working with the studio's 400-plus employees in five studios around the world to come up with new intellectual properties.

A multi-national studio with that many employees might not sound like most independent developers, but Willits says the work style is much the same as—and drastically different from—how things work at a large developer/publisher like Bethesda or Activision.

"The agility of small teams and the opportunity to get stuff done quickly can't be overstated," says Willits. "I'm not saying anything bad about Bethesda—I love them—but smaller teams are exciting and fun. When someone has a good idea, we jump on it. If it doesn't work out, we change it quick."

While there's plenty he's excited about, Willits acknowledges the decision to leave id was a hard one. He's irrevocably tied to the company's legacy. Ultimately, he says, the move to Saber came down to him deciding what he would enjoy most.

"At my age, you've got to work with people you like," he says. "You've got to work on fun stuff. I don't have anything to prove. I've been successful. I've made good games. … At the end of the day, I'm literally going to travel around the world to cool as places to work with awesome teams and make video games. Why would I pass this up?"

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
That's really exciting for Saber! They've been slowly but surely becoming a better dev on their own and supporting other games and franchises. Best of luck to Tim!

Oct 26, 2017
Calling Saber indie is a bit of stretch, 400+ devs and 5 different studios is not what i would call "indie" despite Saber being an indipendent developer

Oct 25, 2017
Calling Saber indie is a bit of stretch, 400+ devs and 5 different studios is not what i would call "indie" despite Saber being an indipendent developer
I know people take independent companies to be on the smaller side but we need to expand our horizons instead of us quibbling over the meaning of words. They are Indie.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Interesting move -- I generally enjoy Saber's stuff, but it usually needs that extra pinch of something. Maybe this is what they need.