Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Tim Sweeny has said thing in the past that were later rendered untrue so I will hold back applause because as they say money talks.

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
The NBA needs the Chinese authorities and the state media to collaborate in order for them to conduct business in China. And the Chinese authorities have an existential need to win the battle of public opinion, internally. They could and felt like they had to go to war.

This is a private Chinese company (public ties or not) with a 40% participation on a successful Western company. What are they gonna do, wreck shit up or sell their shares over a political tweet reiterating what half of the Western world is saying? Do they really care that much? Should it even look like they care, given all the accusations of conducting business at the behest of the Communist Party?

Someone correct me if anything I said is incorrect, but unlike what others are saying I just don't see how these words can hurt Epic much.

In practice there is no such thing as a private Chinese company. What Tencent execs may or may not want is irrelevant if the CCP tells them to cut ties with Epic.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty courageous claim given the political climate. I hope he keeps his word.

Why would there need to be HK Fortnite memes? Epic hasn't done anything to piss off the HK freedom movement.
I'm talking about memes about the protests going on in Hong Kong, not ones necessarily also related to Fortnite.

People haven't referred to Hong Kong on Fortnite live streams or social media? This whole thing with Blizzard started when blitzchung said Liberate Hong Kong on an unrelated Hearthstone live stream. No one has done something similar with Fortnite since yesterday? If not, I'm sure it's coming.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will hand out points to Tim because when push comes to shove and he doesn't follow through my anger and disgust will be 10x what it would be if I didn't invest any faith in his ability to essentially say fuck China free Hong Kong.
Yeah, but someone above just pointed out the gap between what Epic stands to lose and what Blizzard stands to lose, so I really don't know if it feels right comparing apples and oranges. One choice seems a lot harder to make.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Epic but glad they said this, even so it is only words. Blizzard was words too at one point.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Talk is cheap. Let's see what happens when prominent Fortnite players speak out about this.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Like what? I'm not doubting you, just curious about specific examples.

Lot of stuff relating to the EGS, saying they were funding some exclusive games for the platform when it turned into the deals of exclusivity that have become the headache that they became, pledging to not send deals to big and important game releasing on Steam and then still doing that, ditto for the crowdfunded scene, trying to spin themselves as the folkhero of the indiedev and then throwing up the curated wall and rejecting games if they wont take the deal, trying to say they are all about choice when that choice is actually reduced by taking away games from Steam and GOG, turning publishers into lairs themselves, see Take 2 saying that wouldn't take the deal and then they took the deal. So I am going pause and wait to see what the action games are before anything else.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
In practice there is no such thing as a private Chinese company. What Tencent execs may or may not want is irrelevant if the CCP tells them to cut ties with Epic.

exactly. The government has firm control and often has high level officials in the Communist government on boards and other jobs within those corporations. If the government tells a company to do something, they do it. It's all state run capitalism.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sweeney says a lot of things. We'll see if what he says is true or not.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Good to see him come out with a strong statement.

Of course, if Epic does cave they should be criticised as much, if not more than Blizzard.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Tbh, much as I dislike the particular way Epic has thrown their weight around in the PC gaming space lately, I think he's being honest about this. We'll see what happens, but this is a pretty strong statement and I think we'll probably see Epic stand by this pretty quickly here. No one should be chomping at the bit hoping he folds so they can point and laugh at how we've got proof he's evil.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Sweeney probably wants Tencent to back out. Epic doesn't need institutional investors anymore. I'm sure he'd gladly buy back those shares, especially if they're sold in haste at a lower price.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Tim Sweeney is a very proud man about his company so I believe this is genuine and wont change his mind about it in any case

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude is a total opportunist, but I definitely support his stance if he's actually telling the truth.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of stuff relating to the EGS, saying they were funding some exclusive games for the platform when it turned into the deals of exclusivity that have become the headache that they became, pledging to not send deals to big and important game releasing on Steam and then still doing that, ditto for the crowdfunded scene, trying to spin themselves as the folkhero of the indiedev and then throwing up the curated wall and rejecting games if they wont take the deal, trying to say they are all about choice when that choice is actually reduced by taking away games from Steam and GOG, turning publishers into lairs themselves, see Take 2 saying that wouldn't take the deal and then they took the deal. So I am going pause and wait to see what the action games are before anything else.

Don't forget while he states about how he wants to help the PC landscape and developers with Valve's "unfair" split, he and Epic Games abandoned the platform long ago due to piracy and concentrated their efforts solely on consoles.

I think we all want Tim Sweeney, for once, to keep his word on this matter. However, money talks, and based on Tim's words over the years, it can go either direction.

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
Again, words are cheap, I don't trust any western corporation regarding China until i see some facts if shit hits the fan.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tencent losing 40% control of the company that operates one if not the most currently popular game on the planet seems like a big hit. I'd hope if Tim lives up to this that Blizzard follows suit, but with Activision that seems unlikely

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Oh man....anyone else hear Ron Howard / arrested development voice over after reading those tweets

"Little did Tim know how wrong he was"

He is just asking for trouble

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
They can only make it right by rescinding any apology in the Chinese market and reinstating everyone they banned. It can't be a quiet thing where they just give him the prize money and silently unban him.

They probably already ruined the casters lives and made their careers unsafe though. This is very difficult to walk back.

I don't expect them to go far enough, but I'd happily be surprised.

Edit: I quoted the wrong person and I can't seem to find it easily on mobile. Clearly I meant to respond to if blizzard can possibly fix this.

Last edited:

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on Sweeney and Epic. My respect for both would have gone way up though if he actually mentioned Hong Kong and the protests. In the coming days if there is any fallout with their business dealings with Tencent it will clearly show Tencent is an apparatus of the Chinese government and not just some investor we should overlook because they have their hands in everything.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I believe him. Not the first time he's made it clear that Tencent doesn't - and probably will never - own a controlling stake in Epic.

certainly can't get any clearer assurances than these.

Have people not taken the Liberate Hong Kong memes to Fortnite yet? You'd think someone could easily force Epics hand on a live stream or in-game. I'm with you, but it seems like we shouldn't have to be skeptical for very long at all.

that probably makes no difference, since I hear they play a different version of Fortnite in China. Memes on international Fortnite don't really faze the Chinese communist party any more than on Reddit, for example.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

None of those were as categorical and explicit as the pledge he's making with respect to freedom of speech.

it's really the personal antipathy and towards Sweeney that's shaped the narrative that he's some sort of compulsive, pathological liar.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Don't forget while he states about how he wants to help the PC landscape and developers with Valve's "unfair" split, he and Epic Games abandoned the platform long ago due to piracy and concentrated their efforts solely on consoles.

I think we all want Tim Sweeney, for once, to keep his word on this matter. However, money talks, and based on Tim's words over the years, it can go either direction.

Basically.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
None of those were as categorical and explicit as the pledge he's making with respect to freedom of speech.

it's really the personal antipathy and towards Sweeney that's shaped the narrative that he's some sort of compulsive, pathological liar.

It comes down to a reputation and in this case a willingness to suffer being banned in China potentially. I want to believe this statement but I can't do it at face value.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm talking about memes about the protests going on in Hong Kong, not ones necessarily also related to Fortnite.

People haven't referred to Hong Kong on Fortnite live streams or social media? This whole thing with Blizzard started when blitzchung said Liberate Hong Kong on an unrelated Hearthstone live stream. No one has done something similar with Fortnite since yesterday? If not, I'm sure it's coming.
My understanding is that Fortnite eSports doesn't have as much of a foothold in China as Blizzard's games. Googling around, it looks like most of the Asian competitors are from South Korea.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
You know for all the shit this website gives Tim he's actually a decent person. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that does more for conservation then he does.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Epic: "We love to enable our players to have freedom of speech especially when it comes to politics"

Epic immediately after: "Celebrate your right to freedom of speech by buying this limited edition, one day only $35 skin"

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really appreciate him voicing his views and confronting the concerns head-on. You can feel any type of way about him or Epic or Fortnite, etc, but more CEOs need to take stands like this.

This will probably be tested in the near future though