• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
youtu.be

ACTION BUTTON REVIEWS: The Final Fantasy VII Remake

https://www.patreon.com/actionbutton The premiere episode of ACTION BUTTON REVIEWS. I reviewed the Final Fantasy VII Remake. This video consists of an intro,...

Available from 12am British Time / 7pm Eastern Time / 4pm Pacific Time.

I think it's already available on Patreon if you are a Patron:
www.patreon.com

Get more from tim rogers on Patreon

Creating long video reviews of great video games

Here is his written review of the original Final Fantasy VII which is a great read:

Last edited:

Amir Mirzaee

Sep 9, 2018
Thanks. I love his videos.

I assume this is spoiler maximum territory if you haven't played it yet right?

Looking at the video's description, it seems like there's only about 10 minutes of spoilers.
Although I believe he means spoilers regarding the newly added content.

From the description: "The Forbidding New - 2:52:22 (spoilers start at 2:52:52 and end at 3:00:29)."

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is he/did he do a Japanese to English dialogue comparison?

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I love his pre-reviews so I'm looking forward to this!

Might have to stop watching at a point when it starts getting a bit too in-depth since I haven't played this yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed Tim's work before the Kotaku schtick, didn't like any of that while he was there.

I have no interest in the game in question but hey hope there's more of this. Long-long-form video reviews of a lot of games just makes sense. They are significantly larger time-sinks than other forms of electronic media (bingeworthy tv seasons notwithstanding) and the reviews that give you a sense of 'play along with it' like some podcasts do really do work well (eg Cane and Rinse).

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours, that's pretty crazy. It will be really late when it airs for me, but I'll watch part of it tonight.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
He's said that there will be a section that is marked as containing spoilers.

edit: here it is

I honestly don't get the question lol. It's a damn 3-hour review ofc it will have spoilers. Come on, ppl lol.

I'll have to watch this over the week.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I like Tim's work but I'm not sure I'm ready for that much more FF7R discourse at the moment especially as I've soured on the game over time and he is often overflowing with superlatives in his essays.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
No, I've been watching his Twitch streams of the game and he specifically said he will not be doing that.

Damn, I loved his original FFVII japanese - english videos

I honestly don't get the question lol. It's a damn 3-hour review ofc it will have spoilers. Come on, ppl lol.

I'll have to watch this over the week.
Its also tagged as a review. Normally reviews dont contain spoilers (unless you tag them as such)

The "3 hour" mention implies the risk of spoilers of course, but its not certain. I just wanted to ask as I LOVE his videos, but will NOT play the game until the PS5-Series X patch or version.

Last edited:

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad he's happy with the game and I'm glad his Patreon is doing well. I'm not sure if I really have the endurance to watch a 3-hour review, especially if it's going to just be his endless and effusive praise.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I loved his original FFVII japanese - english videos

Its also tagged as a review. Normally reviews dont contain spoilers (unless you tag them as such)

The "3 hour" mention implies the risk of spoilers of course, but its not certain. I just wanted to ask as I LOVE his videos, but will NO play the game until the PS4-Series X patch or version.
I just can't imagine the B-Roll needed for 3 hours without it including some stuff beyond the intro chapters.

Also, Tim's reviews are usually very comprehensive. They're not about getting the score out fast, so it's very different than conventional reviews.

Oct 27, 2017
I have no interest in the game in question but hey hope there's more of this. Long-long-form video reviews of a lot of games just makes sense. They are significantly larger time-sinks than other forms of electronic media (bingeworthy tv seasons notwithstanding) and the reviews that give you a sense of 'play along with it' like some podcasts do really do work well (eg Cane and Rinse).
This is an excellent point. I find the format works exceedingly well for video game reviews.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow. Action Button is back?

ABDN helped me (among other things) appreciate the idea of crunchy input. I feel FF7R runs the spectrum of crunch (Tifa) to mush (Aerith).

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
Does this mean 2/3 of the video is uninteresting
by tim rogers standards, which are mountainously high, yes.

---

jsyk the video is going up at the same time for everyone. patreon is just for support and discord roles currently, but there are undisclosed Secret Rewards planned for certain tiers.

ty for the thread op, this is gonna be a wild one.

Davilmar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll pass for now. I'll come back in pieces when I got the time. He's very interesting as a reviewer, I'll give him that.

arturo2666

Oct 25, 2017
Been excited about this for a few weeks now. Can't wait to watch, though I'll probably split it up over a few days.

OP
OP
Midgarian

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Oh wow. Action Button is back?

ABDN helped me appreciate the idea of crunchy input. I feel FF7R runs the spectrum of crunch (Tifa) to mush (Aerith).
It blows my mind it took him this long to do "his own thing", he's always felt like the level of personality that was always capable of doing his own thing. I suppose he didn't really need to do it until his hand was finally forced due to the Kotaku ownership controversy.

I first discovered Tim 10 years ago and voraciously read a ton of his reviews. He is one of my biggest Gaming influences and role models, right up there with the pantheon of renowned developers. I can't praise him enough. I'm as big of a Final Fantasy fan as I am thanks to his writings inspiring the formative months of my fandom.

Tim brings to life in words, what I've always implicitly felt about videogames but have never been able to quite articulate (though with his influence I am working on my own writing).

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good lord Tim, love your reviews but a classic bombcast length one? Thats a hard pass. One hour is a maybe but 3? come on, lol.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
3 hours?
tenor.gif

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
3 hours? Do they even understand the concept of "review"?

And

Yeah if he has 3 hours of stuff to say but misses the obvious in your face textures everyone is talking about for a reason and "didn't once cry out for a patch" then yeah. Hard skip.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I must confess I absolutely have gotten into the habit of watching his Kotaku reviews on my actual Real Television using my PS4. His bit about this felt like vindication.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
before I listen to this can someone tell me if he liked the game or not I don't feel like listening to someone complain for 3 hours

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Shang-Tsung-It-Has-Begun.gif

before I listen to this can someone tell me if he liked the game or not I don't feel like listening to someone complain for 3 hours
He said at one point on stream it's his GOTY, probably until Cyberpunk

That being said, that's... probably not the right mindset to go into this

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It blows my mind it took him this long to do "his own thing", he's always felt like the level of personality that was always capable of doing his own thing. I suppose he didn't really need to do it until his hand was finally forced due to the Kotaku ownership controversy.

I first discovered Tim 10 years ago and voraciously read a ton of his reviews. He is one of my biggest Gaming influences and role models, right up there with the pantheon of renowned developers. I can't praise him enough. I'm as big of a Final Fantasy fan as I am thanks to his writings inspiring the formative months of my fandom.

Tim brings to life in words, what I've always implicitly felt about videogames but have never been able to quite articulate (though with his influence I am working on my own writing).

This is what I love about him. His reviews might not break down every aspect of the game, but it will inform you about how someone feels while playing it. Sometimes that feeling is informed by the player's experiences, culture and environment around the game as well as the game itself. He'll look at why a game is; his reviews on Kojima games are a great way for people new to him to understand him. The MGS2 review turned me completely around on the game. He's helped me look at games and other products in less of a binary context. Tim saw quite far ahead on gaming issues as well. I loved his review on Super Smash Brothers Brawl back in the day, where he posted two reviews that were the exact same content, but had different ratings: one perfect and one 2/4 stars (which relatively is a good game in ABDN terms and meant there was more there than just plain old competency).

I don't know if anyone shares the same interest as me with regards to cars, but Regular Car Reviews is the Action Button of car reviews.

Last edited: