Oct 31, 2017
Found this interesting and wanted to share with ERA.

I am part of the problem but I justify the purchase by this being my most used product.

It's on me at all times.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/15/tim-cook-dual-sim-pricing-more-interview/

"We always thought … that if you provide a lot of innovation and a lot of value, there is a segment of people who are willing to pay for it," Cook said. "For us, it's a large enough group of people that we can make a reasonable business out of it."

"A lot of things you were buying are now so convenient in one [gadget] and it has taken those things so much further than they could have ever ventured as a stand-alone device," he said. "The role of the iPhone has become much larger in people's lives."

What's your take?

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
The modern cell phone in general is a huge part of everyday life. It's not just Apple that has us under their thumb. It's all of them.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they're, like, exploiting me. I think I use my phone a ridiculous amount and hang onto it for 3+ years so really the value doesn't seem so bad. I'm on a corporate plan and get mine on contract for $550.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I problem is at this point people are paying these prices for a few more gigs and no earphone jacks. Mobile phones have stopped evolving let alone being revolutionary

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He isn't wrong, there are millions who are okay with the pricing so why would they give up the profit thats on the table?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because we dont buy into the cult of apple?

I mean, it's kinda very sad that Apple has gone so far to become the exact opposite of they original slogan: "Does More, Costs Less".

Calling consumers of a product a cult is an easy way to dismiss anyone who prefers what you don't. It stems from insecurity.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Are you angry over MTV not actually play music 24/7?

No, but i do find it hilarious, i recall that one animated show VH1 used to have shamelessly made fun about the idea that VH1 doesn't focus on music much either.

If you don't want to pay Apple prices, there are lots of alternatives. Apple fans who whine about overpaying are bringing the problem on themselves by continuing to support them.

I don't own apple products, i think it's awful he's been so shameless.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that has used iPhones since the 3G its disappointing that the price point has increased so drastically without catering to the upper-mid range price model anymore. The lack of iPhone SE tier pricing this generation is a real bummer, but ultimately I feel like we're at a point where phone technology has advanced to superfluous levels. The life span of iPhones especially feels increasingly elongated as apps/games/etc have reached a plateau in terms of specifications required to run them.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone is free to buy some cheaper phone, stop taking everything for granted, this isn't a public service.

At this point smartphones should be getting cheaper as all tech does.

No, unless it was something that doesn't change. But the old less-smart phones have gotten cheaper, so you can buy that.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of things I use everyday that I invest very little into. Phones are definitely one and I'm not worse off for it. Twitter is more or less the same on all devices. It's all status symbol, like a Louis Vuitton purse, high margin and they know that strategy works.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Folks already playing PR/Damage control? ...they come with the quickness, give Nintendo fans a run for their money.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Phones are more important than laptops for most of us. It's no surprise they are priced close to them now.

Thunder

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
We always thought … that if you provide a lot of innovation and a lot of value, there is a segment of people who are willing to pay for it," Cook said. "For us, it's a large enough group of people that we can make a reasonable business out of it."

tenor.gif