• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Last week the price per thousand board feet of lumber soared to an all-time high of $1,188, according to Random Lengths. Since the onset of the pandemic, lumber has shot up a whopping 232%.

Home builders and DIYers don't want to hear this, but the ceiling could be higher—maybe even a lot higher. On Monday, the May futures contract price per thousand board feet of two-by-fours jumped $48 to $1,420. That squeeze once again triggered the circuit breakers and caused lumber trading to halt for the day. Why would lumber yards and builders pay above market rates? Severe lumber scarcity has buyers on edge. They're buying the sky-high contracts in order to ensure they'll actually get the lumber they need for projects already under contract.

"The market is in trouble. It could spiral out of control in the next few months," Dustin Jalbert, senior economist at Fastmarkets RISI, told Fortune. The issue? Supply, which is already backlogged, simply can't catch up as demand continues to grow with the start of the home building and home renovation seasons.

This supply and demand mismatch is largely a result of the pandemic. At the same time that state-mandated lockdowns caused mills to halt production, bored quarantining Americans were rushing to Home Depot and Lowe's to buy up materials for do-it-yourself projects. That caused lumber inventory to plummet. It only got worse from there: Recession-induced record-low interest rates caused a housing boom. In March, new housing starts hit their highest levels since 2006. Of course, new homes require a lot of lumber, thus exacerbating the shortage.

finance.yahoo.com

Lumber prices are up 232% and ‘could spiral out of control in the next few months’

Lumber supply, which is already backlogged, simply can't catch up as demand continues to grow.

I didn't realize this was happening until someone mentioned that this is not a good time to build a house or do any add-on projects involving lumber because of the prices skyrocketing. This also explains in part while home prices keep rising. Anyone looking for home building or DIY projects and face this roadblock?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yeah imagine my surprise when I wanted to put up a cheap stockade fence and found out the PVC fences were actually cheaper. Insane.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's not only lumber. It's almost all commodities.

Copper hit 10k today for the first time in a decade

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I had my roof replaced a month ago and it cost me around $2k more than it should have just because of the skyrocketing cost of materials. Now is a terrible time to get work done to your house because of this. I would have personally waited but the roof was super old and there was a leak in my roof and no one could find the origin of it, so it had to be done.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Those lumber costs are also affecting the housing market in general. We were lucky to get an offer accepted on a house that we bid several thousand dollars over asking to obtain. The squeezed inventory isn't going to be alleviated overnight, and the soaring cost of lumber is a huge factor for that. The housing market is insane right now and will continue to spiral into crazyville.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yep I am acutely aware of this as I bought a house last summer and hoping to get a privacy fence put in the backyard this summer. Sucks a lot!

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's fucking crazy around here too. We wanted to redo our deck on our house which is very old, replace it and expand it, and the quote was $29,000. I was expecting like $15k-20k max.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Price of steel has also gone up. Lumber and steel costs coupled with cement shortages is hitting our industry.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just had our basement finished and the builder was lamenting how much more the materials cost since we signed the contract last Fall. We got lucky because he said he's going to have to add a clause to account for price increases in all the future projects he's involved with.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
When the price of everything goes up we need to start recognizing it for what it is: inflation.

www.nbcnews.com

Get ready for higher grocery bills for the rest of the year

The latest spike in grocery bills comes on the back of prices that rose during last year's pandemic stockpiling — and never went down.
As someone working I the grocery biz, p on our end have been going up for a while but we have been eating most of it. I wouldn't say it's just inflation, because most of the time that we see it is because of low supply available.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
We had a new privacy fence installed at the beginning of the pandemic. Thank god we didn't wait until now.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The stupid thing is, based on info from a guy I know who owns a lumberyard, lots of builders have been stockpiling lumber for fear of the prices going up, but the stock piling is a large part of what is driving the prices up.

Oct 30, 2017
We did a bathroom renovation a couple of months ago when lumber prices dipped slightly but compared to 2019 it's crazy expensive.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is quite annoying because custom built costs is the last thing I need for my new home,and they are impacted by shortages. The price is signed so that is fine but I'll need to wait.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Decks and sheds are gonna be pricey.

780x463-WaltDisneyArchivesTemplate_052418_three-little-pigs-85th-anniversary-things-you-might-not-know_4.jpg

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
yeah couldn't get a deck last year and looks like I wont' this year either.

thank god I have a covered front patio away from the street.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wonder if Composite (Trex) might actually be cheaper then regular wood? Might be worth it due to durability, even if initial cost is a little higher. Made our deck out of trex

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021
Yep. Used to be $2/lumber. Now it's $12/lumber. My workplace consumes Lumber by the ton.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we were looking at putting a shed up in our back yard but the price doubled very quickly so we put that on hold.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, was putting a fence for a neighbour, because their original one got knocked over by a storm last year. Prices are crazy.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
It'll come back down once the home building market decreases, which these increase in prices will help, too lol

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I started working at Lowe's last March before lockdowns started. At the time OSB was $8 a sheet. It's currently $40 a sheet.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This is mostly supply disruption and rapidly shifting consumption habits, I think.

That's my guess.

Have to consider that after the entire economy was mostly shuttered for an entire year, suppliers are basically trying to meet two whole years worth of demand in one year without additional capacity. The effect is likely worse for something like lumber that has a substantial production lead time.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
I wonder if Composite (Trex) might actually be cheaper then regular wood? Might be worth it due to durability, even if initial cost is a little higher. Made our deck out of trex
I wonder also. We used trex for our deck 3 years ago. Don't have to worry about rot or staining it. It's definitely worth it to me.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
There are about a half dozen houses in my neighborhood undergoing renovation that have slowed to a snail's pace. The house across from me that partially burned down back in 2019 still hasn't completed renovation. A neighbor whose is renovating her entire house that was supposed to have been ready to move into in Fall 2020 still is no where finished today.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The price of a lot of material goods are spiking, and will continue to do so. Across many industries. 2021 is gonna be rough as fuck.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to make a garden bed....

Im just gonna end up finding some pallets and treating it with some water sealer

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017