Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever knew about the fishing, although I never really loved XII until the PS4 release.

This is the duck racing from Shenmue II all over again.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I really hate when shit like this is so hidden in games, imo if you can't reasonably find something in the game without looking at outside resources it's a failure in game design. Final Fantasy has always been particularly bad about this.

If you never found the hidden thing in a game then it might as well not be there. Schrodinger's missed content

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Sound Novels

The Sound Novels (サウンドノベル, Saundo Noberu?) are minigames in the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Tactics. Unlocked when the specific artefacts is earned, they are minigames that consist of four "sound novels" related to the elements in the Chronicle section of the game. The sound novels have no...

Whaaaaat? I never knew about this

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I found out about the fishing minigame the last time I played through XII and was shocked, haha.
The Zodiac Spear is one of the most known weapons in the game mainly cause the method to obtain it is so notorious. It makes sense if you weren't looking up anything about the game that you'd never know though. The fishing sidequest is a lot more obscure by comparison. People don't talk about that one as much. I think it's because that sidequest is only there to obtain part of the key needed to unlock a weapon in the game that's mostly useless by the time you obtain it - the Wyrmhero Blade:

I think it's a Dragon Quest reference? I wonder how many people know about this weapon.
This looks a LOT like a sword you get in DQ11, so that adds up. Wow.
Yeah, it's a reference to Dragon Quest.

Gilgamesh uses it in his fight in XII, so that also means he can travel through to void not just to other FF worlds, but to DQ worlds as well.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
DAMN i love fishing mini games and i had no clue

I also never did the Aerobics in Animal Crossing for the GameCube because what kid is getting up at 6am for a single week during the summer break

250px-Animal_Crossing_-_Aerobics.gif

/raises hand. I would wake up an hour before I had to for school every morning to play animal crossing. When it hit summer I continued to wake up at like 6-6:30 bc it was hard wired into my brain that was animal crossing time and so i was fucking blown away when I found that one morning

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
FF12 too. Apparently there's a super strong weapon called the Zodiac Spear but to even have a chance to get it you have to get specific treasure chests at specific places, if you see a chest in the overworld and decide to get it, you're almost certainly locked out of getting it forever. Also aside from the first mandatory hunt, I missed the entire clan hunt quests on my first playthrough.

This:

1.) wasn't true the first time. The spear shows up randomly in a dungeon even if you mess up the chests. The spear also isn't the strongest weapon in the game, there are other weapons that surpass it. People complain way too much about this one, square has done similar things before with the adamant armor in IV or the Excalibur II in IX. The Zodiac Spear is complely trivial to get compared to those.

2.) the issue was made entirely moot by FFXII: TZA. That's not how you get the spear anymore.

Edit: the strength of the spear is only notable because IF you're aware it exists (by reading a strategy guide) you can sequence break and do a suicide run into the Necrohol of Nabudis way, way earlier than you should to attempt to grab it. This area is SO deadly that nobody would wander into it by accident and the game straight up tells you not to. Walking in there otherwise and against the warnings means you die a LOT for no clear reason.

By the time you're strong enough to take on the Necrohol without an issue the spear isnt a remarkable weapon and you should have at least one other close to it or stronger than it.

Unless you're reading strategy guides to begin with (in which case you know what chests to avoid) the spear isn't remarkable at all. Seitengrat on the other hand is truly bullshit and I can't believe that one isn't a glitch.

Also: I don't know how you miss every single hunt in the game, the clan hq is sitting right in rabanastre.

Last edited:

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
I've played FFXII so many times, read guides on how to do certain things and never once came across that there was a fishing mini-game in it. I am almost certain this is a fan-mod until I play it in game. WTF

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I've played FFXII so many times, read guides on how to do certain things and never once came across that there was a fishing mini-game in it. I am almost certain this is a fan-mod until I play it in game. WTF

Its always been a requirement to obtain wyrmhero.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The Zodiac Spear is one of the most known weapons in the game mainly cause the method to obtain it is so notorious. It makes sense if you weren't looking up anything about the game that you'd never know though. The fishing sidequest is a lot more obscure by comparison. People don't talk about that one as much. I think it's because that sidequest is only there to obtain part of the key needed to unlock a weapon in the game that's mostly useless by the time you obtain it - the Wyrmhero Blade:

I think it's a Dragon Quest reference? I wonder how many people know about this weapon.

woa one of my favorite games and one of the only games I've ever played through more than once and I had no idea!

im not even shy about looking up secrets and hidden things online, I do it fairly often and never came across the fishing mini game

Nov 17, 2017
woa one of my favorite games and one of the only games I've ever played through more than once and I had no idea!

im not even shy about looking up secrets and hidden things online, I do it fairly often and never came across the fishing mini game
Yeah you have to do so much just to get the weapon, including beating most of the super bosses so you hardly have anything to use it against. And while it's a good weapon, there are better ones you can get before this so I think that contributes to it not being talked about much.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
This fishing and sound novel shit is blowing my mind lol. Makes sense we wouldn't know about the sound novels, of course, but as a part of the fandom I would've expected to have seen it mentioned but never have.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
You can only access it fairly late-game apparently:

finalfantasy.fandom.com

Fishing (Final Fantasy XII)

Fishing is a minigame in Final Fantasy XII played in the South Bank Village of the Dalmasca Estersand. The loot item Lu Shang's Badge is obtained by doing the fishing sidequest, an item needed for the Wyrmhero Blade. To begin the sidequest, the player must have completed the cactite family...
Ah yes, I remember bumping into the fishing thing back when I first played the game in 2006... it's been a while, so I'm not sure if I thought "wtf, I completely missed this before" or if I realized I could fish once I got my rod. But I have distinct memories of fishing by a river in a desert though. In one of the small settlements near Rabanastre.

Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite things about XII, how it rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny and then going back to places you've already been to as the story progresses to see what's changed. It's very much a game that invites you to play slowly and appreciate the surroundings. I don't know if I could do it nowadays.

I think I vaguely remember this or not

Was it in the original or in zodiac age
Yeah, it was on the original.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Ah yes, I remember bumping into the fishing thing back when I first played the game in 2006... it's been a while, so I'm not sure if I thought "wtf, I completely missed this before" or if I realized I could fish once I got my rod. But I have distinct memories of fishing by a river in a desert though. In one of the small settlements near Rabanastre.

Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite things about XII, how it rewards you for exploring every nook and cranny and then going back to places you've already been to as the story progresses to see what's changed. It's very much a game that invites you to play slowly and appreciate the surroundings. I don't know if I could do it nowadays.

Yeah, it was on the original.

I think I came across it but avoided doing it lol.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Pokemon Gold.

I was a kid and didn't know what the S.S. Aqua ticket was for. After wandering around the world aimlessly looking for secret Pokemon I discovered that the ship could be boarded and I was absolutely floored with how much more content there was.
I remember that! I was just wandering around after beating the game ages ago and found it with all he trainers way to weak to pose a challenge lol. Has one of the best themes in the game too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezmGVPOaz_U

But if you can't reasonably find something in the game without reading a strategy guide, then it's a win for strategy guide publishers ^^
And Square publishes their own stategy guides i.e Ultimanias.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I'm always surprised how few people did this, even among the games biggest fans.

Every time I read about this game, I get sad that I glitched myself out of the platinum at the 11th hour.

I'll inevitably start the entire game over to finish the job one day. It'll require I do everything in the game again though smh.

May 10, 2018
I found out about it during my play through of zodiac age because of the wrymhero blade but you can also get that weapon much easier on trial level 50.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
/raises hand. I would wake up an hour before I had to for school every morning to play animal crossing. When it hit summer I continued to wake up at like 6-6:30 bc it was hard wired into my brain that was animal crossing time and so i was fucking blown away when I found that one morning

I wish kid me had that sort of resilience, haha. Getting up at 7am was basically torture I can't imagine getting up that early consistently.

But yeah I don't remember if the game even highlights aerobics on the bulletin board.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I don't remember this either, and I've played both versions of the game. It doesn't look like I was missing much though, I usually like fishing minigames but this is pretty barebones compared to games like Breath of Fire III and IV.

Lilyth

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Apparently, there's a rollerball mini game with dozens of levels in Twilight Princess. I only found out about this in the Completionist video on the game, and I had been to the fishing house many times throughout my playtrough. Couldn't believe it!

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017
Apparently, there's a rollerball mini game witch dozens of levels in Twilight Princess. I only found out about this in the Completionist video on the game, and I had been to the fishing house many times throughout my playtrough. Couldn't believe it!

There's lots of little Easter eggs in that fishing hole. Most of them are based on you looking at things in the shop. Two of the more notable ones are rolling into the wall repeatedly which causes Hena, the owner, to kick you out. The other is looking at the picture of the fishing guy from Ocarina of Time and then quickly turning to look at Hena who will be scratching herself in the same way he did back in OoT.
CvKjrQJWgAAJOed.jpg

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember this either, and I've played both versions of the game. It doesn't look like I was missing much though, I usually like fishing minigames but this is pretty barebones compared to games like Breath of Fire III and IV.
i installed bof4 the other day just to play the fishing minigame and hear that music

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That's the invisible bow that's utterly broken, right?

Yup. The weapon has no model in-game, and the only way to obtain it is in an invisible chest with almost zero chance of appearing and spawning the weapon. Seems more like a dummied out weapon that still managed to make it in the game through a crazy bug rather than a legitimate "secret" weapon.

Could be wrong, but if not that's easily the worst example of an in-game hidden item ever.