BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Just pivot to Dr. Doom

Want to build up Doom? Just recreate this scene with a Thanos variant or something.

dszvznkwcz841.jpg

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I rather keep a recasted Kang the villain and wrap that storyline up, all the build up would be silly if they make it Dr Doom all of a sudden or whoever people might suggest. I liked He Who Remains as the overarching villain in Loki season 2.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Time to break the glass marked: Count Nefaria!
You're not missing out on much besides some funny Paul Rudd/Ant-Man moments, like him announcing that he wrote a book (which you can buy in real life! It's pretty good!). Besides that, nearly every scene of the movie feels so empty, boring and lacks any life cause you can feel all the blue screens they're standing in front of. It's just an all around unremarkable movie.
I did enjoy the sheer amount of goofy technicolor alien creatures in the Quantum Realm, reminded me of Flash Gordon with a bigger budget, but yeah, it was clearly a stop-gap film whose main function was to set up Kang.

Jan 4, 2021
I haven't even seen Ant Man 3 yet, should I even bother?

For context, I'm a fairly big comics fan just missed out on that one.

Honestly, it felt like a long Disney+ episode. It's all green screen. Some funny moments and Katy O'Brian is in it so it's got some things, but if you feel the need to watch it because it may provide some necessary backstory, I don't think it really does. It's an otherwise boring romp through the quantum realm with a half baked kang variant as the baddy.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I think they just want to move away from Majors entirely.

Also, while this might not be related, having Kang's first appearance in the movies involve him getting owned by Ant-Man was just about the dumbest route the MCU could have taken.

I'm not sure why they did it but the original ending had Kang escaping with Ant-Man and Wasp being trapped in the Quantum realm. Cassie would be shown looking at profiles, planning to assemble her own team of young super heroes.

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Want to build up Doom? Just recreate this scene with a Thanos variant or something.

dszvznkwcz841.jpg
I know people are begging for a Romani actor to play Doom, but who is a big enough star currently to carry that character? You would assume that they would want an A-list actor for it. If Cillian Murphy wins best actor, do they call it a wrap and iron out a contract next day? I think Josh Harnett was also rumored at one point or do we just trust the Marvel Studios casting team to find someone like they did with Iman Vellani?

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
Kang was cooked the second he did the J-O-B to Scott Lang.

I know I know, he's just one of many Kangs but when you advertise him as your next big bad and then proceeds to get his ass kicked by Ant-Man in his major film debut it'll be hard to take him seriously afterwards. It's like if Thanos' debut was him getting bodied by Hawkeye.

And then you add that post-credits scene of all the Kangs that left most audiences giggling and that just killed any interest general audiences may have had to see this clown on film again.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If you must, pivot to Doom/Namor/Sentry team-up and then Galactus.

Or just say fuck it and do Onslaught for Avengers 6.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Kang to slip on banana peel and die in post credits scene of Deadpool 3 confirmed.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I would say just get another actor for Kang, but as I understand it they were only pushing Kang because of how smitten Feige and co were with Majors' performance. With him gone they are probably pivoting away.

They did a pretty poor job of establishing the character regardless though.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know people are begging for a Romani actor to play Doom, but who is a big enough star currently to carry that character? You would assume that they would want an A-list actor for it. If Cillian Murphy wins best actor, do they call it a wrap and iron out a contract next day? I think Josh Harnett was also rumored at one point or do we just trust the Marvel Studios casting team to find someone like they did with Iman Vellani?

Marvel seems to cast big actors as villains to match up with previously lesser known actors as the main leads but maybe with Pedro Pascal being the big actor (along with the other 3 who are famous enough) maybe they can find someone who is not Hollywood famous.

If you must, pivot to Doom/Namor/Sentry team-up and then Galactus.

Or just say fuck it and do Onslaught for Avengers 6.

The actor for Namor, Tenoch Huerta, is facing sexual assault allegations so maybe he'll be gone too. He should be if the allegations are true.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Kang was cooked the second he did the J-O-B to Scott Lang.

One of the things that made me super confident in Kang originally was the cold ass line of, "You're an Avenger?....Have I killed you before?"

Just the idea that this dude has killed so many versions of Ant-Man that he's simply forgotten at this point, helluva build up. Of the many MANY problems that Quantumania had, shit should have ended with Lang being bodied by Kang and maybe, MAYBE Scott gets in one good hit and Kang just follows up with thinking it's all a minor inconvenience to his overall plan.

DestinyArrives

Debate Guy
May 15, 2019
Why not make Dr. Doom a Kang variant? Never has to take off the mask, can be totally his own thing but just leaves that nod as a variant who is stronger than the rest. Kind of makes the build up more interesting because people might hear that and think oh maybe he's not a threat then - and just have him totally wipe the floor in every fight.

Tobor

Died as he lived: wrong about Doritos
Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Everything in the article is on point. Hopefully this gets the MCU back on track.

Hiring the showrunner of the Bear to rewrite Thunderbolts is super interesting.

Apr 20, 2022
I haven't seen anything with Kang in it but do people just not like the character or something? Surely you can find a great actor to replace Majors.

It's not that Kang as a character is shit or anything, he's built as the next big bad in Loki that potentially is a bigger threat than Thanos (Thanos won against a universe, Kang allegedly can take down multiple universes without infinity stones) but he's shown nothing that matches that hype.

In Loki he has mastery over time and is a good building block but his involvement in the MCU since has been lame. Reduced to a throwaway villain in ant man 3 and if ant man can already beat him it doesnt instill fear if say he goes up against Thor or whoever who would smash his face in. Loki S2 was more about Majors on his way out and due to the ending Kang can be totally forgotten about if the story goes that way.

So we got a multiverse threat but has done nothing singicant after this introduction and all his hype comes from his background story rather his current day actions. It's a pretty boring character. Combine that with Majors being an asshole people don't care about Kang anymore. Probably better to move on to another big bad, in secret wars 2015 the big bad was Dr Doom and F4 is coming soon so here's hoping

Last edited:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Get all the bad guys that should be in Thunderbolts (Zemo, Hammer, Abomination) throw in the Wrecking Crew, introduce some new faces like Moonstone, and just give me an Avengers vs. Masters of Evil movie, I beg you.
Why not make Dr. Doom a Kang variant? Never has to take off the mask, can be totally his own thing but just leaves that nod as a variant who is stronger than the rest. Kind of makes the build up more interesting because people might hear that and think oh maybe he's not a threat then - and just have him totally wipe the floor in every fight.
I'd be willing to bet that Feige and a lot of other folks involved with the MCU know how important Doom's origin is that they wouldnt entertain this option.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Should've just recasted Kang tbh

It seems like they're still going to recast him since they mention that they're going to minimize the character rather than scrapping them altogether. I just don't think the character worked for general audiences. The fact that a different variant was killed in the first two appearances that he had in the MCU was like a death knell to him. People just can't get excited for a character in which killing one really means nothing because there's another one that's going to popup afterwards.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I haven't seen anything with Kang in it but do people just not like the character or something? Surely you can find a great actor to replace Majors.

He's not a hugely dangerous bad in the comics. While Majors is a top tier actor (and btw fucking asshole) his superb work in Loki season 1 setting stage for a Thanos level big bad wasn't realized in Ant Man and in Loki season 2 he was almost comedic relief.

Regardless of his assault charge, it was going to be an uphill battle with Kang being the main antagonist of an Avenger's team.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I think the next Avengers should be a one-and-done to set up the new team (basically connect all these new characters they've introduced) and possibly lay groundwork for the next big bad, a la the first Avengers movie.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Kang being a pathetic jobber was comics accurate which was why it was bizarre that he was intended to be the next big bad.

It was such a weird/inconsistent way to do it too, with Loki Season 1 trying to establish him as some kind of universe conquering threat only for a comics accurate one to immediately job to Ant Man.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why do I feel like this was already announced? In fact, I swear it was announced like immediately after Majors got convicted and Marvel dropped him? Maybe that was deadline or variety reporting that was the plan or something.
Neither Marvel nor the trades ever said anything about what they were doing with Kang.

You may be thinking of Joanna Robinson, the author of The Reign of Marvel book. She was the first one (if I'm not mistaken) to say Marvel was looking to pivot from Kang late last year.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
In effect, they've already written out Kang in Loki, so they could easily just excise the character entirely from all future projects.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Why do I feel like this was already announced? In fact, I swear it was announced like immediately after Majors got convicted and Marvel dropped him? Maybe that was deadline or variety reporting that was the plan or something.
There wasn't any official confirmation. Inside sources just said that people working on the movie were now referring to the movie as just Avengers 5 amongst themselves.

Wait, the Showrunner for The Bear is working on the script for Thunderbolts?

you-have-my-attention-gif.gif

Spoiler: Everybody will just be yelling at each other in that movie.

/s

I loved The Bear

For the next stuff I just want Dr. Doom as thr baddie. Build him up as the next big evil thing, start F4, huge finale, then let him live and become an antihero.

ItPrintsMoney.gif

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiverse and Kang stuff in the MCU is just the worst. Zero interest. I ultimately liked Loki but it was in spite of those elements, not because of them.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God it'd be so fucking hilarious if they add a scene at the end of Deadpool 3 where Deadpool says he easily killed every variant of Kang off camera.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they build off of Deadpool & Wolverine/The Marvels PCS and title it "Avengers vs. X-Men", that would be pretty hype. I don't think I really care too much about Kang or who the "big bad" is anymore.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
None of this has ever made sense.

Why was a villain nobody but comic nerds has ever heard of supposed to carry an Ant-Man movie?