The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing to debate though? Yes, Kaido fought a lot before the final fight, got hurt too, beat Luffy. So..?

It's also not new that Luffy loses against the main antagonist before he beats them. He lost to Crocodile twice before he was able to beat him. He got shoved off the Ark Maxim by Enel before they could engage in a round 2. He got devastated by Lucci before they rematched. He has to run away from Doffy and gets help from the Dressrosa residence while he is out of gas, otherwise he would have gotten killed.

I like that about the 'powerscaling' of One Piece.
We spin the block 'til we win the block.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I take that as my opportunity to ask a question that I have been wondering ever since I got on the internet and learned about power scalers.

Are people who are currently putting Luffy below Kaido in terms of power basically saying, that if Luffy would be dropped into a 1v1 against Kaido in the story again right now that Luffy would lose? Or are these things talked about without the story in context? I have been trying to solve that mystery by myself, but I might as well drop the question here.
Once Luffy masters Gear 5, I could see Luffy being way stronger than Kaido. I think right now Gear 5 wouldn't last enough to beat a full powered Kaido.

Either way, it's insane how far Luffy went. At the start of Wano he couldn't even hurt Kaido, and that was when he was at his angriest, thinking everyone was dead.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
if Kaido had a health bar, Luffy alone probably took off like 80%. Kaido fought all those motherfuckers, kept Onigashima afloat, and only seemed to suffer minor damage at best. The Scabbards essentially did nothing to him in the end, which is pretty damn depressing when you think about it.

Kaido truly was was an absolute monster, with unparalleled levels of stamina.

Also drives home just how insane Shanks is, because he was able to handle that man off-screen like it was easy work lol.

Last edited:

Lordfifth

Jul 31, 2022
Agreed

The only Yonko looking a little fraudulent was Big Mom; or at least the people she lost to because Kid and his crew got absolutely flossed by Shanks.
Lol no.
She fought law and kid, law left black beard bleading and huffing.

Also Kidd had law teleporting him around vs big mom, he didn't have that help against shanks.

And law had Kidd to take of some pressure against hug mom he didn't have that against black beard.

I don't get what's the point of the OP?

Like yeah Luffy needed help but he did against doflamingo, cracker and katakuri(by taking brule hostage to rest kid fight), it is intentional that post skip Luffy always need the help of the people to win, without law shoving his gama ray in doflamingo Luffy would have lost, without nami softening up crackers bisquit Luffy would have lost, without Luffy taking advantage of brule he would have lost.

You don't need to be the stronger to win, lol

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020
All there is to say about the subject:

XpipBk1.png

LT4aycs.png

2MrcMDr.png

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Kaido is essentially unbeatable 1v1. Luffy had tons of help, and 2 whole ass plot armor points just to beat Kaido after so many people already wore him down.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luffy had to run around and beat up people for like 50 episodes before he even got to Kaido who spent the last few weeks resting, eating and drinking.
Kaido had one hell of an advantage.

MessyLessy

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's fair to say they're both pretty worn by the time their 1v1 starts, but yeah luffy definitely had more help (law's crew, yamabro, momo, etc).

In saying that though.. That's like the whole point of one piece lol. Luffy and his amazing ability to make friends and in turn make an army of allies. Kaido didn't just lose his fight with Luffy, he and his crew lost the entire raid.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Luffy learned to see into the future, that would have been useful

Pluto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a good thing that Luffy ultimately won because he had a lot of help from his friends and allies and some luck on top of it, that makes it a bit more more realistic.

Tsumami

Feb 3, 2022
The other characters did maybe 10% total. Luffy 90% and Gear 5 especially was just not giving a shit about Kaido's attacks at all. Fresh Kaido vs Fresh Luffy bajrang still takes him out with a one shot

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

Honestly, I'm kind of in the same boat. Every other villain up till now seem to have a really interesting backstory, but he just kind of felt like a big simple thug. Like he basically made his underlings do all of the nefarious and intricate stuff, and he just sat and drank and signed off on it, and then got into fights they couldn't handle.

Those few times when he showed a moment of actual characterization, basically whenever he talk to Yamato or whenever he was drunk, were the only interesting parts of his personality.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed

The only Yonko looking a little fraudulent was Big Mom; or at least the people she lost to because Kid and his crew got absolutely flossed by Shanks.
Tbf to Kid, I think Shanks would be a lot more injured being hit by his Damned Punk than Big Mom or Kaidou would since he doesn't seem to have the same level of tankiness. However it doesn't really matter I guess when Kid wasn't ready to fight a Yonkou with a higher speed stat.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I'd be happier if Katakuri was the only person in the 'verse that could do it. Because now there's all these potential plot holes that you could poke until Oda says "Luffy can't use it consistently."
Definitely need some more clarification on Luffy's use of Future Sight. I had assumed that it was like a, "Goku's been using Kaio-ken the whole time", kinda situation where he had it activated constantly despite us not being expressly told as such. But yeah, I'm not sure that's the case anymore lol. He was just getting tagged by Kaido waaaaaaay too often for that.

I guess Luffy still has to consciously activate it, or maybe Kaido was just too high level of an opponent? His physical speed did seem to be quite extreme when using various attacks. All I know, is I didn't see anything from Luffy close to the level of Katakuri dodging Black Mamba.

Last edited:

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Remember when Don Kreig beat Luffy and everyone pretended like he lost?

Because I'll always bring that up every time.

Remember when Moria had pretty much had the SHs dead to rights, but decided to do the one exact specific thing that could cause him to lose, when nothing else would have done it?

Because I'll always bring that up every time.

can you refresh my memory, what did moria do?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
can you refresh my memory, what did moria do?

So a perk of Moria's DF was that he could steal the shadows off of people. Using Hogback to prepare corpses, he stuck these shadows to them to make zombies. People who had their shadows removed from them survived having them stolen, however they would burn up in direct sunlight, so they always had to hide in the shadows. Throughout Thriller Bark, Moria was able to steal Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Robin's shadows, and put the former three into zombies, with the ancient giant Oars being the recipient of Luffy's shadow. Per Moria, beating him up wouldn't return shadows. The only three ways to do it, were presumably if Moria gave the shadow back, giving a zombie with the shadows some salt, or if Moria barfed it back up, which was only under a very specific circumstance.

So regarding said circumstance, it had to do with another aspect of Moria's DF. If he removed a shadow and put it into a corpse, it would give the corpse life, but if the shadow were put into a living person, that person would receive a powerup, gaining the strength and skill of whomever that shadow belonged to. Luffy was able to defeat Oars incredibly easily by becoming 'Nightmare Luffy' a Luffy who had 100 souls wrangled into him. So at the climax of Thriller Bark Oars has been defeated, but Luffy had lost the shadows he had and returned to normal. Moria was hurt but still standing, and dawn was fast approaching. Moria decides to fight them using the method Luffy had just used, but rather than 100, he takes a 1000 or so (every single zombie he has, including the SH shadows) and turns into a massive giant. All of those shadows basically overload him though, so being hit by the SHs enough cause him to barf every thing back up, defeating him and giving the SHs their shadows back.

So Moria could have taken 100 shadows rather than everything, and could have easily won and not given the SHs their shadows back. He could have just run away since he more or less could teleport with his DF. He could have just sat there and gotten beat up and the SHs heavy hitters still wouldn't have gotten their shadows, so they'd either burn in the morning sun or have to retreat. Instead he does the one specific thing that he has to voluntarily do in order to give himself a total defeat.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
So glad I am not a power scaler who needs validation in seeing main characters defeating the foes they fight 100% 1:1 without any help.

aidangs

Jan 8, 2019
My primary beef with Kaido is that after having one of the most iconic character introductions in the entire series, his suicidal ideation is kinda just dropped.

I get that teaming up with BM to get the One Piece reinvigorated him in some sense, and he's clearly having a good time fighting on the rooftop against people who can actually hold their own against him, but unless I'm misremembering it doesn't ever come up again.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I always thought it was bullshit since the start of the arc that Luffy would be Yonko level

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My primary beef with Kaido is that after having one of the most iconic character introductions in the entire series, his suicidal ideation is kinda just dropped.

I get that teaming up with BM to get the One Piece reinvigorated him in some sense, and he's clearly having a good time fighting on the rooftop against people who can actually hold their own against him, but unless I'm misremembering it doesn't ever come up again.

There was this brief bit:

main-qimg-08e8c69d78b8b876f000e22ca10418e9-lq

FB0cnNEXoAg2ujt.jpg

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit tricky to know how much of the Gear 5 part is Luffy just messing around and what is serious attacks. The end of the fight is him going like «fuck it, enough fun now, it's getting annoying, I'll just end it».

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought it was bullshit since the start of the arc that Luffy would be Yonko level
Luffy doesn't have the raw power of Kaido/Shanks but his stamina and determination are probably at least as good now. Also if he can just activate gear 5 casually like he did against Lucci, and don't have it drain his life away then it's already a huge increase in strength and abilities compared to pre-Wano Luffy

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Luffy doesn't have the raw power of Kaido/Shanks but his stamina and determination are probably at least as good now. Also if he can just activate gear 5 casually like he did against Lucci, and don't have it drain his life away then it's already a huge increase in strength and abilities compared to pre-Wano Luffy
Plus Luffy always gets that Saiyan* power boost between arcs. Like he gets a further grasp on what he can do and learns from his losses so once threatening opponents like Lucci become jobbers to him.