• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why should I change your mind?

And yeah, this is one of the best MCU movies imo.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I'd agree with this, however the thing that spoiled it for me is some of the corny jokes. I remember in the cinema people were belly laughing when Thor was spinning around in the net. I didn't find it funny in the slightest!

The Hulk/Thor banter was funny in parts though.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
One of the best for sure. I would personally put Winter Soldier ahead of it though. I really enjoyed gotg1 as well but Ragnarok edges that in my opinion.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
It was a fun film. I swear to god I go into every Marvel movie skeptical and don't have a whole lot of love for the franchise, but really I always leave them satisfied.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely one of my favorite MCU movies. It's getting hard for me to rank them because I've had a great time with pretty much every recent movie, for for very different reasons.

Also, I saw this creep up on my TL :

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
It's good, but I'm happy Taika is going back to his smaller style for the next one. Would hate to lose him in the big blockbuster maelstrom.

I'm curious if that Akira movie he's apparently making will even really happen. Could be interesting.

the final battle is pretty weak imo
After all, it's still a Marvel movie.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but I'm happy Taika is going back to his smaller style for the next one. Would hate to lose him in the big blockbuster maelstrom.

I'm curious if that Akira movie he's apparently making will even really happen. Could be interesting.

After all, it's still a Marvel movie.

this movie made me more apprehensive about him making Akira tbh. thats arguably one of the most visually striking animes of all time and Ragnarok had some pretty awful green screen work at times. he should stick to his drama and comedy work (which I'm glad he's taking on next with the Hitler flick) and maybe try his hand at another effects heavy movie before doing Akira. I don't think he's got the talent for it just yet

overall wasn't a big fan of this movie, but the whole middle section with Jeff Goldblum and Korg and childish Hulk was great. and I appreciate the switch in personality they gave Thor. I didn't care for him prior to Ragnarok in the films. but after this and Infinity War he's up there after Stark, Spiderman and Black Panther for me.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
this movie made me more apprehensive about him making Akira tbh. thats arguably one of the most visually striking animes of all time and Ragnarok had some pretty awful green screen work at times. he should stick to his drama and comedy work (which I'm glad he's taking on next with the Hitler flick) and maybe try his hand at another effects heavy movie before doing Akira. I don't think he's got the talent for it just yet

overall wasn't a big fan of this movie, but the whole middle section with Jeff Goldblum and Korg and childish Hulk was great. and I appreciate the switch in personality they gave Thor. I didn't care for him prior to Ragnarok in the films. but after this and Infinity War he's up there after Stark, Spiderman and Black Panther for me.
The pretty awful green screen work probably wasn't on Waititi though, especially seeing Black Panther and even Infinity War had the exact same issues. In Black Panther it was especially glaring, with the special effects looking downright amateuristic at times. I have no idea what happened with the effects budget on that one.

That said, I do agree that Waititi for Akira is a bit of a weird choice, considering his specialty is down-to-earth stories and slightly awkward humor and Akira has none of that. But let's see what he does with it if the project ever gets off the ground, which I honestly doubt, because IIRC the Akira live action remake has been in production limbo for years.

Also, I highly recommend everyone watches Waititi's short film Two Cars, One Night. It's great stuff.

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
It's deffo in my top 5. At the moment I think I'd rank it:

The Winter Soldier (this is one of my fave movies of all time tbh)
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Iron Man
Spiderman: Homecoming

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's one of the worst for me

Too many stupid jokes. Tries way too hard. Massive departure from type for all the characters. Goldblum and Dr Strange aside, the film is a car crash.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Top 3 for me.

1. Homecoming
2. Infinity War
3. Ragnarok

It's the one I've rewatched the most times out of all of them.

Forgot to mention my favorite part about the films. No shitty jane sidekicks

Darcy was the best part of the first two movies.

Is it weird that I want to see a movie where all the MCU sidekicks team-up?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I'd agree with this, however the thing that spoiled it for me is some of the corny jokes. I remember in the cinema people were belly laughing when Thor was spinning around in the net. I didn't find it funny in the slightest!

The Hulk/Thor banter was funny in parts though.

A lot of the MCU's humor is hit or miss depending on the audience and every individual's sense of humor. I enjoy dry humor, clever dialogue and banter, I'm not a fan of physical comedy, exaggerated reactions or telegraphed jokes. So I, like you, enjoyed the Hulk/Thor banter, the Thor/Grandmaster banter, Korg and Meek and some Hela stuff but I didn't laugh at the spinning net, Valkyrie falling over drunk from her ship or Thor pleading to Stan Lee to not cut his hair. I'm sure for others it was the opposite. Sense of humor greatly varies from person to person.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Oh yeah, and I liked the strange cameo too. Wish they kept his costume with the gloves and all.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely top 5 for me, maybe even top three. I like that it embraces the ridiculousness of the premise and leans into it, rather than try be even semi-serious with it. And Thor finally got some personality.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's right up there for me as well.

Kind of hope they let him do another marvel movie.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was the first marvel film I watched and it kinda grew on me a bit. I think it's an odd film in that it forgets what the main plot seems to be for almost the entire film, but that's kind of OK considering the main plot is boring, which is amazing considering its Ragnarok. I think it didn't help that I find Thor's powers a little uninteresting too.

Only other Marvel film I've watched so far was Doctor Strange and while I probably prefer Thor as a film I really prefer Strange's powers. Both of these films though I feel have kinda bad fight scenes and sometimes bad CGI too. I wasn't really expecting that given the budget these movies must be getting.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mine too bro.

Amazing movie, it reboots the Thor movie while not shitting in the previous ones, and it's essential to watch before Infinity Wars.

Whatch this btw :

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I thought Guardians of the Galaxy would always be my favourite Marvel movie, until I watched Thor: Ragnarok.

It's just great fun from start to finish. I love how the film commits to it's vibe from the outset, with Thor spinning around in the chains, and just goes from there.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it. It's a very fun movie; one of the best comedies I've seen in recent years. I like how, even with all the jokes going around, there was still some sincere bonding moments between Loki and Thor.

Plus Hemsworth looks gorgeous here

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most leftist superhero ever. It's literally a PG-13 superhero movie where the main message that a society built on imperialism can't be reformed, it has to be destroyed completely.

Wait, what? How the hell did you get that message out of it? Like.... I am just lost here.

Also, easily the best Marvel movie. Fron start to finish the movie was just flat out fun.

pedrothelion

Oct 28, 2017
It's the only Marvel movie where you can feel the director's influence on it. Everything from the humor, the color pallet, the interesting camera work and just the overall tone are completely unique to every other MCU movie.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like everyone in that movie is trying to be Jeff Goldblum.

And then Jeff Goldblum shows up to out-Goldblum everyone.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I feel Ragnarok was the exact shot in the arm that the Thor movies needed. I love the movie so much and Taika Waititi is such a wonderful and charming director.

My favorite line in the movie is from Korg, of course:

Thor: "I would spin it around really fast and it would pull me off...."
Korg: "Oh my god. The hammer pulled you off?"
Thor: "... the ground."

I die laughing every time because of Korg's disgust

korg.gif

Seriously, I can't get enough Korg

5vW135e.gif

OP, if you want more of that same humor, watch this:

images

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything can unseat The Avengers as the best film in the series and one of the best "summer blockbuster" movies ever. Ragnarok certainly comes close though.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Ragnaroks weird to me, like I enjoyed all the camp Fifth Element style stuff to the max and i love Waititi's comedy banter style more than I probably should... but then all the stuff that takes place in Asgard felt kinda detached and blah. I feel like Hela was a very "tell, don't show" design that left minimal impression. Also I really wish I understood what they were even trying to do with Loki ever since Avengers. Seems like he just can't stop compulsively being villainous whenever it suits the plot, even when it doesn't suit him?

It's certainly among my favourite MCU films and I like it way better than GotG, which I guess has a comparative retro camp comedy/scifi angle. But I kinda hope they just let Waititi make some more oddball comedy movies like What we do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople rather than stick him on a big long list of marvel sequels.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure why you'd need your mind changed, if you like it....you like it. Ragnarok is one of my favorites in the MCU as well. It makes Thor likable/relatable, has a great blend of action and humor, good character interactions, events of great consequence and at worst a serviceable villain. And Jeff Goldblum being Jeff Goldblum, which gets bonus points.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Putting aside Avengers 4 Infinity War, which tops the list easily, Thor 3 or GOTG 1 is my favorite. Its infinitely rewatchable unlike the other ones imo. Its just a really fun space romp more like a mix of Star Wars and GalaxyQuest than a regular comic book movie.

Of course if EVERY MCU movie was as goofy then it wouldn't stand out anymore and probably be not as good, so you gotta have all the serious ones to make Thor 3 "pop" out as different, sort of like how I love ESB because its so dark and grim compared to the more light and uplifting tones of ANH/ROTJ.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Too many terrible jokes. The Hela stuff sticks out with the incredible difference in tone. Goldblum is the saving grace.