• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of their biggest openings ever, surpassing Ragnarok handily, so you might want to start looking into other options if you can't deal with a single future film in the lineup that isn't for you. If Taika wants Thor 5, it's his.

Jane's dialogue was terrible
The story didn't really go anywhere but it also didn't linger on any real emotions after the first scene
The concept of a God's conference where one member of every pantheon shows up seems like a big deal but it's for sure just a throwaway in this movie
The dialogue happened so fast that no joke got any time to breathe

Yeah I hope they don't make more movies like this anymore. they need to set their standards for craftsmanship higher.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a lot of fun. Not as tightly paced or written as Ragnarok but definitely more enjoyable than the first two Thor films.

never

Oct 28, 2017
This movie was super fun trash. I enjoyed it, but will most likely never watch it again. Had some good laughs though.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Had a blast. Laughed a lot and loved the acting from everyone. It wasn't the best Marvel movie but it entertained the hell out of me and I left very satisfied.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it. There's so much visual creativity here. If you're gonna shoot these things on a green screen you might as well go fantastical so that it looks wild instead of awkward.

I thought Jane's storyline worked well in tandem with her relationship with Man Thor. Thor's direction and purpose has kinda been all over the place within the MCU, but the idea that he was happiest with Jane and Thor embracing this is understandable. The daughter thing kind of ties in with this but it's fine pretty awkwardly.

I liked Bale though. His scenes were great and I loved the black and white planet. I know the conic character is really revered and I can see people not thinking it's a good translation but as a one off villain he works since he's so distinctive aesthetically.

It's a fun "space Viking adventure movie" and doesn't get bogged down with MCU stuff… but in that context you're left with a lot of questions. What exactly determines a god? It seems less metaphorical and more literal in this movie. And why should we even care about the gods? Yeah we don't want Thor to die but does it really matter if Gorr killed everyone in Omnipotence City? The main revelation was that the gods seemingly don't do anything.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Not horrible but the weakest MCU movie I've seen in a while. A lot of the humor felt forced, like they were trying to top Ragnarok with sheer numbers instead of better writing. Bale was incredible, though, which shouldn't be a surprise. Natalie Portman was incredible as Mighty Thor, and I'm glad her role was substantial. The emotional payoff was solid, and the door is open for her to return in Thor 5.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
This movie was very messy.

Jane Foster's introduction as Thor was really rushed. Their was very little build up/anticipation during the fight and it just kind of happened.

The jokes. Nothing was really given time to breathe. It was a constant onslaught. Also, I get it, the goats scream, a lot.

Gorr was great. But I agree with a lot of this thread on how his character felt wasted in this movie.

Overall, too much content and not enough time to tell it all properly. It kind of felt like a Michael Bay movie - here's some neat set pieces and a really loose plot that sort of ties them together. Also, jokes.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I liked the direction that this movie began to explore with the revelation that most gods are real pieces of shits that would rather look after their self before the take care of their flock, something that is well documented in Norse and Greek mythologies, but then cut short of full exploring it partly due to Gorr which makes his character in the movie feel like afterthought that was brought to the forefront by the 3rd Act.

for me personally this movie was gonna be a passable yet fun Thor summer flick until the last 10 mins. The teases given at the end with Gorr's daughter possessing powers of Eternity (?), Hercules being send on his path to have a tete a tete with Thor, Jane in Valhalla were the perfect scenes to leave a great aftertaste and have me wanting for more Thor with Thor 5.

bring it on!

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yelling goats somehow don't get old for me

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Fletcher

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it enough. Can't see myself watching it again, but enjoyed it while I did. Think this suffers from what this entire phase suffers from. No overarching MCU plot.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Missed opportunity to give Hemsworth a break by forcing Thor into a stay-at-home dad role while Jane does most of the heavy lifting for a bit.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Yelling goats somehow don't get old for me

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

my little sisters and I were laughing hard at goat gag not because of the goats themselves because it reminded us of how me and my brother used to scream when we were unhinged LMAO

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I actually prefer the movies to not really do any more long-term direction stuff. Like, of the post-Endgame stuff, I'm burnt out so I skipped all of the TV shows and half of the films. I only watched Spiderman (because all the Spidermen), Dr. Strange (because Raimi), and this (because Taika). Of the films you've listed, I might watch F4 out of curiosity for an MCU adaptation but I'll be skipping the rest. So for me at least, it's better that they don't wedge all the extra stuff in anymore because I'll just stop altogether.
I'd be fine if they got rid of that stuff too, but at the moment they are serving neither audience effectively.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So when it comes into future movies how does everyone think Hercules, Mighty Thor, and Love might be used?

For Hercules I have no idea where he'd pop up next, personally.

For Jane Foster's Mighty Thor, I can see her being in Valhalla as a possible character they can choose to bring back if they want to, say for a Secret Wars movie. Or of course they can keep her in Valhalla if she doesn't want to play the role again or if the character just doesnt line up with their plans.

Love is most interesting to me. Is it actually Eternity in a small child's body? Will she join a future Young Avengers? If she had all the power of Eternity she seems way too powerful to actually be on a team but I can see her being a supporting character kind of like hiemdal. Possibly being able to see all things in the universe and speak to her multiversal counterparts for information.

I can also see Axel being a hiemdal figure to the young avengers.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Deciding between a 2.5 to 3 out of 5.

The first 30 mins are utter trash. Thankfully it picks up after that and by the end I found it pretty good. It's deffo worth the 4 euros I paid for the matinee but something like 15 or more hell fucking no.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I want to say, I really appreciate how they beat the villain in this. I love when they don't kill the villain but rather just use their wits to reason with him with FACTS and LOGIC! It's why I loved White Vision and Vision's fight. I wish they would do this more often.... it's just not very satisfying to see who can punch the hardest, you know?

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Eventually all, or mostly all, will come together for a series of event, or so I guess.

Sure but I'd prefer it to be Phase 1 style, with almost entirely distinct films before the team-up stuff kicks in during a single film.

Like, I saw Dr. Strange without seeing WandaVision, and it was really good. I saw complaints that people wanted more interconnectedness with the show though, which would've turned me off. I'm not watching the show.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it I think the film would have been better served with Jane as the main character with Thor as a secondary or even background character. Her character arc of masking her intense fear and pain with over the top heroics was easily the most interesting, far more than Thor trying to find himself... again, and she and Gorr work very well as foils for each other.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think the movie wouldve been much better if everything before thor came to new asgard was showing both jane's path to becoming mighty thor, and gorr's path to becoming The God Butcher with their stories intersecting at Thor's arrival.

Just remove the whole guardians portion altogether. Maybe dont even show thor until he arrives in new asgard.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Thinking on it I think the film would have been better served with Jane as the main character with Thor as a secondary or even background character. Her character arc of masking her intense fear and pain with over the top heroics was easily the most interesting, far more than Thor trying to find himself... again, and she and Gorr work very well as foils for each other.

100% this. Should have been a Mighty Thor/Jane Foster story throughout. Could have briefly showed Thor working out, meditating, getting himself back to good, whatever and with GotG so we know where he's at, and that's it.

We could have had Jane, Val, some New Asgard, God Butcher actually, you know, butchering gods, but we got lame ass jokes, Korg, and goats.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
I think Americans just have a shit sense of humour. New Zealand humour is amazing 👍

Eagle vs Shark is hilarious.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrmEnjMqua0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb4Dod6zGD8

I remember watching it when it came out, expecting Noah Baumbach or Wes Anderson, and even though it is filled with "sad comedy", it was coming in at a different angle for sure. I most certainly didn't think, yeah, this dude is going to be directing a Thor movie ten years from now.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I have a really nonsensical question given what's happened in the MCU with magic and monsters etc.

I thought Thor and his brother were aliens (him an Asgardian, Loki a frost giant) and not gods. Isn't this said in the first Thor?

Doesn't this discount the whole Greek mythology coming true?

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Deciding between a 2.5 to 3 out of 5.

The first 30 mins are utter trash. Thankfully it picks up after that and by the end I found it pretty good. It's deffo worth the 4 euros I paid for the matinee but something like 15 or more hell fucking no.
Idk, I actually think it started strong with gorr becoming gorr and murdering the God.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the random jab at meditation lol. But yeah I would've liked this more if it had a much larger focus on Jane or the romance as a whole. It also barely felt like an adventure because they could just teleport exactly where they needed to be at all times.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
. Also, did her reflection in the Gate of Eternity area remind anyone else of Singularity?

I think we could get a mashup of two characters. People love to say we're headed for Hickman Secret Wars, might need a Captain Universe for that.

3a07e70af1d02e572ebfd076e3086d71.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
California
The black-and-white scenes were fucking gorgeous. This is one of the best looking MCU movies that's for sure.

Movie had me laughing out loud and had me tearing up too. Felt like Taika did an amazing job evoking both emotions.

And those fucking goats man 😂😂😂

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't think it was as good on either end as Ragnarok - not as funny, but also not as emotional. I just think Hopkins as Odin, Hiddleston as Loki, and Blanchett's Hela meshed pretty perfectly with what Waititi was doing. Neither JaneThor or Gorr really fit as well - Jane is too far in the background for the drama to really click, and Gorr is a really fun boogeyman but also barely shows up. And real talk, the Thor/Jane romance isn't anywhere near as emotionally engaging as the Thor/Loki sibling relationship.

Really I would have preferred more of an ensemble than Thor as the primary focus, because he's not really doing anything here that he hasn't been doing for the past few years.

That being said, I did have fun, and I'd still call it pretty good. But I think it's closer in quality to the original Thor than Ragnarok.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So was that Eternity thing a one time use? Is it gone? Why was this never mentioned before? Thor seemed to know about it. I don't remember if he said he didn't know it was existed though. Seems OP.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So was that Eternity thing a one time use? Is it gone? Why was this never mentioned before? Thor seemed to know about it. I don't remember if he said he didn't know it was existed though. Seems OP.
To me it seems like the knowledge of Eternity was limited to the gods and Gorr only learned of it after getting the Necrosword. Otherwise yeah you would think Thanos would have tried that avenue, seems a lot simpler than gathering the Infinity Stones.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I saw it, I really liked it. It's probably my second favorite movie from this MCU Phase after No Way Home. I'm not sure where it ranks overall, but it's probably in my top ten.
It's not as good as Ragnarok, but IMO Ragnarok is one of the best MCU movies, so asking this to be as good as Ragnarok is a big swing.

Here's what I loved
+Dear god, Natalie Portman as Thor. She looked incredible.
+Christian Bale absolutely killed it as Gorr. I knew going in that his story demanded that he be a single-movie villain, but I would have LOVED to see him as a reoccurring villain. He was compelling and absolutely creepy.
+I rolled my eyes when Axel was introduced, but it worked at the end with him leading the Asgardian kids into battle. I laughed all through that fight, in a good way. It was awesome.
+I loved Mighty Thor and Valkyrie being friends. I would legitimately watch a show of those two working together in a kind of Buddy Cop setup.
+The use of color (or lack thereof) in the shadow realm scenes was fantastic.

It's not a perfect film though. I have some complaints.
-Sif was criminally underused. I have to assume that the actress wasn't available for more than a scene or two, because having Sif be part of Team Jane would have been great.
-I thought Jane was generally pretty well written, (If pretty different from the version of Mighty Thor in the comics) but there were a few scenes that felt off. There were a few scenes where I felt like she was playing the Smitten Jane from Thor 1, which didn't really work for where her character was.
-I thought the goats were funny, but I also thought they were way overused and ended up wearing out their welcome. If they'd had 50% fewer goats, that would have been perfect.
-The "Stormbreaker is jealous of Mjolnir" joke was really funny once. It didn't need to be an ongoing joke.

Other random thoughts
-The council of the Gods was a good scene that went just a liiiiittle too long. I thought it made Gorr's point really well though to show that there are countless Gods who could be mobilized to protect their people and that all of them are just more concerned about planning the next Orgy.
-A friend commented that he thought the original Godbomb plot would have been better, but I don't think that would have adapted to the screen as well. Eternity as a concept is simple, it works, and it introduces that character if they need to bring it back later. (Although the only time I remember seeing Eternity in the comics is during the Infinity War storyline, so I don't know what it would do.)
-I know why this wasn't in the movie, but I always find it hilarious that the God that Gorr got the Necrosword from was supposed to be Knull, the god of Symbiotes. (Creator of the race Venom is from.)
-I think it's funny that an actor as big as Matt Damon is willing to do these dumb little cameos, but I'm also really pleased about it.

Last edited:

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So Thor just has Mjolnir back at the end of the movie?

So much for it being permenately destroyed in Ragnarok.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
After Ragnarok there was simply no possible way this follow up could fill those shoes. I knew that going in. But man was this movie disappointing regardless. It was too short. And I say that as someone who thinks most MCU movies are too long. The mighty Thor stuff could warrant its own movie. I loved all the Jane stuff and it hit close to home. But fuck man there was no room for any of the scenes or set pieces or story beats to just breathe. I also can *not* believe they do not show Gorr killing more than one god the entire movie. That was just fucking bad decision making.

Taika I trusted you.