Which closure to a storyline are you most excited for?

• Star Wars

Votes: 97 15.5%
  • Avengers

Votes: 296 47.4%
  • Game of Thrones

Votes: 232 37.1%

• Total voters

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Let me add this disclaimer: there are other shows/storylines that may be reaching their conclusion this year. This thread is not about those. It is about the three major tentpole events in the last twenty years in movies and television all reaching some form of conclusion on this calendar year. Let's keep the discussion to these three. Thank you!

Alright ladies and gentlemen, this is it. By the end of December, all three of the major players in movies and television are going to reach a climax... Who is dreading/excited for the outcome?

Avengers -- While I am a comic fan entirely on the periphery, I have been a huge fan of these movies. I was hooked since the moment I saw Iron Man in a donut, and just knew that this was a character I would follow until the very end. Over the years, I've been able to see all of the movies, and this is definitely a storyline (or piece of story) I am excited to see come to a close. I think the reason why I will not vote for this one, though, is that I know that these characters live on in some fashion, either physically, or through their connections to the other pieces of Phase 4.

Game of Thrones -- This is going to be my pick. Throughout the entirety of my wife and I's marriage, we've been glued to the television since Day 1 to see how this all plays out. While the show has experienced its ups and downs, I don't think anything this massive, with the amount of moving parts that it has, could have been executed quite as well as this show has. This wasn't just television: it's been almost a ten-year "making of" for one of the most intriguing and discussion provoking shows in some time. There's not a character who I haven't cheered or jeered, and I am on pins and needles with every piece of dialogue and action in this last season

Star Wars -- ...and finally, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. This is different than the other two in that by the nature of its story, it will (I assume) be the most optimistic and "happy ending" of the three. While we know that we have lost and will lose some beloved characters in this journey, Star Wars at its core has always been about hope and the victory of its heroes against all odds. My nostalgia is what keeps me going, and I have loved Star Wars since I was old enough to remember. So for that alone, this December will be one of incredible relief.

How about you, ResetERA? Which end is the one you're most excited for?

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Game of Thrones and Avengers could be tied for me. But GOT will have the most weight behind the ending since Marvel will carry on none the less.

I'm surprised I don't see Star Wars as a big event anymore.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
But none of those are ending. I mean, aren't they making more Star Wars and MCU movies? Isn't GoT having a prequel or something like that? It's really hard to see those storylines as "closing". I think they will be around for many, many more years.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers. I just fell in love with GOT and I been waiting for SW: Skywalker sage to be over since 2005

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Id go with GOT because I'm a book reader and its the closest we are getting to an end. Avengers got me hyped though. SW I'm not really drawing much excitement for

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care how Game of Thrones ends or what happens to this or that character at this point. I just want to see how bonkers those last feature length episodes look.

Zutrax

"This guy are sick"
Oct 31, 2017
Don't care at all about Star Wars, might not even see the movie.

Mildly curious about Avengers and plan to see it, but not immediately.

Huge Game of Thrones fan and stoked to watch every episode as they air, dying to see how it concludes.

So I'd say my answer is probably obvious.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Super hyped for GoT. Looking forward to Endgame. Couldn't care less about Star Wars.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars lost me with the trailer reveal, GoT doesn't appeal to me.

Avengers it is.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Thrones. Mainly for the cinematography for the final battle(s). Gonna be bonkers going off of what they did last season.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Game of Thrones. Production values aside the show isn't nearly as good as it should have been. But it's still entertaining in a stupid, trashy way. And sadly enough it's the only ending to the story I'm ever likely to get.

I couldn't care less about the Avengers. I haven't even seen a Marvel movie since either the second Avengers movie or the first Guardians of the Galaxy, whichever one came last. I'll probably never watch it.

I probably will watch Episode 9 eventually, if only out of morbid curiosity if nothing else. TFA wasn't terrible, but I didn't really love it either. TLJ had some moments I really liked, but most of the movie was pretty bad. I kind of wish they'd kept Trevorrow for Episode 9 to really see how low they could take things. With Abrams back it'll probably be a breezy finale that's enjoyable as long as you don't stop to think about it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
wow @ SW. This trilogy didn't seem that impactful sadly.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never seen Game of Thrones. I didn't become invested in the current Star Wars trilogy.

The MCU has been a journey I loved seeing unfold for the past decade. That wins hands down for me.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoT -10/10 because it's been almost 10 years of my life. This will probably the only ending to the saga as we will most likely never get winds or winter or dream of spring.

Avenger -5/10 it's ok hype wise. I have never been a mega fan I only watch each marvel movie once. Nothing they put out hasn't been as good as x-men 2 or Spider-Man 1&2 imo.

SW - 1/10 lol. There is nothing left to watch here after last Jedi. That movie was so trash. I am just glad Disney will put an end to this. In my mind Disney trilogy is not canon anyway. Not a single good new character except for Finn, kylo is a weak villain, now they had to bring back emperor to have a sense of doom for Rey who already destroyed Kylo many times. But also him coming back makes Darth Vader's sacrifice seems pointless lol. What a shit trilogy lol.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
...I'm probably going to miss My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic the most of stuff ending this year...

Though literally all them are going to have sequels or prequels in a few years time (Some even less than that) so they won't be gone for long.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Games of Thrones and Avengers equally...GOT might be slightly more exciting by a hair because it stands to be more surprising, while I can mostly figure out how Avengers will end (open to being wrong, though).

As for Star Wars...the new films are just kind of hollow for me, sad to say. The new characters are mostly uninteresting and the overall story is stale. I'll see Episode IX at the some point but I'm not especially excited about it.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has no hype for me after TLJ was almost nonsensical because of the plot holes.

GoT is just a wiki read and YouTube the big battles to me. Never that much interest.

Endgame is the most excited I have been for a movie since the Dark Knight. I need it.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ultimately voted for Avengers because I have the most confidence about that movie being good versus GoT. Star Wars is great but it isn't really "ending" in any fashion, there are still TV shows and books and comics that I consume on a regular basis, so it's not really going anywhere.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose Avengers. I'll wait for physical release, but it is the only one I am willingly watching.

GoT series finale I'm watching with my partner at their request. I keep teasing that they're going to "Shonen" it and talk it out with the evil dude.

Star Wars might be a "let's have a few glasses of whiskey and watch whatever this is" a few years from now.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say Avengers moreso than Thrones.

Star Wars has just lost me :'( Tho I'm sure that'll change as we get closer to the final film. Tbh at this point I could not see the last one and be fine.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars by far.

I enjoy GoT, but I am not super invested in it, and MCU fatigue is starting to settle in. Honestly more excited for spiderman than endgame.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
None so I won't vote but I'll definitely catch Star Wars in the cinema at least. GoT I won't watch and avengers will be an airplane movie in a few months. I'm excited for the new Jim Jarmusch film though, shame the thread on era is like 3 pages for what should be an actual amazing film.

Oct 25, 2017
I know there will be more Marvel movies so it's not ever really done. But we are never getting new Game of Thrones episodes so it's ending is more important to me. Especially considering no one knows how it ends and which one of your favorite characters are going to die.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just started GoT last week and I haven't seen any of the Avengers movies so I won't be watching anything but Star wars.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Endgame. Star Wars is trash now and GoT has never captured my interest.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I literally just watched Infinity War and really enjoyed it, so Endgame. Aside from TFA I haven't really enjoyed the new Star Wars and Game of Thrones has been in such a decline for me since season 4 that I'm in it only for the closure at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Most excited for Star Wars

Most confident it's ending won't let me down is Endgame

Most confident I'll be letdown by ending is Game of Thrones

And I love them all.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Game of Thrones. Production values aside the show isn't nearly as good as it should have been. But it's still entertaining in a stupid, trashy way. And sadly enough it's the only ending to the story I'm ever likely to get.
This reflects my thoughts.

Super hyped for Endgame though, it's going to be an experience.

I'm semi-hyped for SW, but honestly JJ Abrams has a way of killing my enthusiasm.

Oct 28, 2017
I've said this before, but I think the internet overestimates Star Wars' mainstream appeal. It's nowhere near the same league as Avengers, much less GoT. Come on guys

astro

Oct 25, 2017
GoT has almost no draw for me. Not one of the characters is likeable, they've utterly destroyed almost all of their book counterparts.

TLJ was amazing, but I'm a little dubious how JJ will handle what it did. Excited to see, but cautious...

End Game is going to be fantastic. I have my tickets booked for this Thursday. The Russo Brothers haven't even stumbled yet. Can't wait.

Dec 31, 2017
Don't watch Game of Thrones.

Disney has managed to make me not give a single shit about Star Wars.

Avengers has me so hyped it's hard getting through work.

Oct 28, 2017
Right now at this very moment? Game of Thrones. Last night's episode got me crazy hyped and I realized just how much I'm invested in these characters.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Game.

Of.

Thrones.

tenor.gif

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Of the three choices, Avengers. GoT I've never watched and I'm not sure how I feel about Star Wars right now.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Avengers and Game of Thrones are actual endings (to characters, story arcs, etc) instead of manufactured endings so those are automatically going to be above Star Wars to me. If I had to choose which of those two I'm most hyped for it would be Avengers simply because I'm going to be seeing it so soon.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Complicated answer. Star Wars is my favorite of the three, so as a franchise I'm most excited to see how it ends. However, I'm more hype for Endgame than ROS. And I'm just ready for GOT to end as a whole, it hasn't been good for three seasons anyway.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
GoT by a long shot. MCU hasn't grabbed me since Iron Man 1 and Star Wars blew its chance as soon as they hired JJ Abrams. GoT at least has good characters and a real arc with a planned conclusion, and comic books in their unquenchable need for constant petty reinvention will never have that sort of texture, and Star Wars was always pulp

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Toss up between Game of Thrones and Avengers.

The only way I'm seeing Star Wars 9 is if people who were luke warm on TFA and hated TLJ give it amazing reviews.