• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I never understand people getting mad at slang. Instead of ignoring it and letting go away they shine a spotlight to mock it and end up spreading it further.

Yikes all around fam

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I wish people would focus on what is said or what happens to cause the yikes, than on whatever form the person decides to express their emotion.
Could be a good start.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
More embarrassing to make yet another thread about this subject than to see the word posted (which I don't even notice most the time tbh).

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I'd certainly like to see other words used rather than pages and pages of YIKES.

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the main cancers in this forum, alongside "not a good look", "this ain't it", "problematic", "literally shaking right now" and many others. It's like the site loves turning into a parody of itself.

how about this

the word "problematic" also gets thanos'd, but you have to sacrifice non-medical uses of the word "cancer"

there must be balance in all things

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
DoyJAohV4AATOLw.jpg

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Yikes has been a thing since I was a child, I don't get this people just discovering it as some new fad and making threads about it.

"Yikes" is just a single word of exasperation, how are people getting so caught up by it? I see it and I just continue reading without any notice. It's reaching the point I'm noticing people ask about yikes more than I notice people just saying the word yikes.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes = "I don't have the time/patience to comment on this because I'm either tired of going through the motions or I have no interest in talking about it but I definitely disapprove."

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, yes the word has existed for as long as you've been alive if not longer, that's a fact but what's also fact is that it's only really used in text form, you don't hear people using the word in person as you would see people use the word in forums/comment sections.

What I find annoying about it is that, say someone writes up an OP or links and quotes and article and then you get drive by posts with "yikes" and instead of writing something up to spark conversation you respond with a reactionary word and just dip. This doesn't apply to yikes alone.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
I always find it interesting to see the evolution of language as it happens, even more so if it's not my first language.

Now on my next trip to England or the US I can blend in more when using modern replies provided by this thread.

Thank you and Yikes Bojardees Chief for this incredible meal!

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yikes is older than millenials. Do people say this too much or something? I guess I don't use the internet enough, I don't hear it in my every day life. I've been saying it since I was a kid.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
"Late stage capitalism" is another term that's reached the point of becoming a meaningless catchphrase and nothing more than background noise. Not just on this board but I do see it here all the time.

Rich asshole does something shitty? Yep, late stage capitalism.
Corporation screws over the little guy? That's late stage capitalism for you.
Any vaguely negative social/political/economic story? No wonder, late stage capitalism.

Like, ok...thanks for that insightful contribution to the discussion. Fucking yikes. That ain't it chief.

OP
OP
Francesco

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Yikes is older than millenials. Do people say this too much or something? I guess I don't use the internet enough, I don't hear it in my every day life. I've been saying it since I was a kid.
On this site only, for some reason. Idk if it's considered an inside joke.

No idea why it isn't a "Low effort post" that gets you banned, so I guess I'll just start using it too to express my thoughts and closing any discussion!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will say I think the discourse around the use of "yikes" is at least better than whatever the hell the discourse surrounding "y'all" is supposed to be

Oct 27, 2017

No idea why it isn't a "Low effort post" that gets you banned, so I guess I'll just start using it too to express my thoughts and closing any discussion!

An inside joke? I guess so, one that whole swaths of young people (and older people who are communicative with younger folk) are in on. Complaining about millennial and zoomer language is such a bad look.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

I'll fucking kill you. A friend of mine actually used it in a text once and someone used it when I was playing FFXIV. I wanted to let him die after that. Maybe they both post here.