• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Somebody was paid good gold backed currency for that line, AND went home and slept good that night. Only in America.

Oct 28, 2017
Somebody was paid good gold backed currency for that line

nfokg38pbkem.gif

Ponn

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smallville was the GOAT show and Welling was best supes. Everyone knows this and should just accept it.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Somebody was paid good gold backed currency for that line, AND went home and slept good that night. Only in America.

This doesn't hold a candle to Jimmy Olsen being killed by Doomsday, only to reveal AT HIS FUNERAL that he had a kid brother named Jimmy Olsen who was the REAL Jimmy Olsen.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Every time I sea new Smallville Clip I'm amazed all over again at how fucking terrible everything about this looks.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
They spent an entire season building up to Clark fighting Doomsday and the fight lasts all of two minutes where Clark just flies him into an underground bunker.
A lot of fights end with just shoving the villain. The bug kid got shoved into the hole, Bizarro got pushed into space, Jonthan Taylor Thomas got pushed over a railing, etc

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of fights end with just shoving the villain. The bug kid got shoved into the hole, Bizarro got pushed into space, Jonthan Taylor Thomas got pushed over a railing, etc

Is there a site or something that just documents all the dumb shit from Smallville? Wasn't Lana a Kryptonite Ninja Witch at one point?

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a site or something that just documents all the dumb shit from Smallville? Wasn't Lana a Kryptonite Ninja Witch at one point?
If there isn't there should be. Like the later season when budget got tight and they did a hour long product placement for chewing gum

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
If there isn't there should be. Like the later season when budget got tight and they did a hour long product placement for chewing gum

I thought that happened in a super early season. Was that the season when they introduced Darkseid and he was "possessing people" (aka too expensive to film)

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Smallville had the GOAT intro song though. You can't deny it.

So good they used it in Elseworlds.

I thought that happened in a super early season. Was that the season when they introduced Darkseid and he was "possessing people" (aka too expensive to film)

In all fairness, comic Darkseid exists in a separate universe and only manifests by possessing hosts who have access to a fraction of his true power.

It's just that in the comics, his avatars change to look like Darkseid.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed how they graduated high school and then went to college for, like, all of twelve minutes before they all got jobs at the Daily Planet.

latest

Of course, Brainiac was actually a really efficient educator.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'll lose my damn mind if they get Welling and Rosenbaum to do the big Crisis crossover next fall.

There's like zero chance of getting Welling, I'll tell you that for free. He flat out refused to ever wear the actual suit which is why they don't even have him in it in the finale.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There's like zero chance of getting Welling, I'll tell you that for free. He flat out refused to ever wear the actual suit which is why they don't even have him in it in the finale.

I dunno man, I think they might shoot for the moon with this. I'm aware of the suit issues but Welling has actually said recently that he'd be willing to appear on The Flash if they asked him to. He's been embracing the fandom a bit more recently as well, doing more convention stuff with Rosenbaum.

I can't comment on the suit because, let's be honest, he probably wouldn't wear it. But I fully believe they're going to get both of them to appear in Crisis next year.

I actually think Justin Hartley would be the hardest one to get back at this point thanks to This is Us.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Seasons 9 and 10 of Smallville were considerably better than 5-7 (8 was inspired but quite flawed). The unfortunate lack of budget in the latter seasons was largely superseded by its ambition. Plus, Lana's absence improved the series immensely.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Season 11 was kinda neat, Clark also got the Speed Force and became a Green Lantern

He should've kept both ahahahaha

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
So what's considered the "best" season of Smallville?

The seasons where Lex and Lionard were the focus. Seeing Lex being a total bro and naive and dense clark being dumb and turning lex evil himself because of it was something else.

I've watched all of Smallville back in the day, I was late to the party but binged it all. It sure has it's highs and lows but it was consistently fun to watch, it had a better green arrow too.

I still won't forgive them for that lame ass series finale though, damn it Welling and your dumb pride and that suit.

PS: Somebody Saaaaave meeeeeeeee

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The longer the show went on the worst it got.
But at its peak it was pretty great.

I can't say I agree with this overall. Smallville was a very up and down series.

Seasons 1-3: Generally got better as it went on, introducing more season long arcs and clearly having a bigger budget than it did in the final seasons.

Season 4: The witch season. Likely the second worst season of the show. Epic finale though.

Season 5: This is near the top of the series for me. It definitely felt like they rejuvenated the show a bit. The overall arc was stronger, they finally gave us a true rift between Clark and Lex, a snazzy new intro and maybe the best episode of the series where Jonathan dies.

Seasons 6-7: I thought 6 was a step back but still had some solid stuff. The Lana/Lex stuff was insane though. S7 is the worst season of the show, hands down. They mishandled Supergirl completely, the Lana stuff was horrendous, the writer's strike clearly forced them to rush through what should have been an epic final arc for Lex, etc.

Oh, and they finally brought Pete back for the first and last time, only to give him the hilariously bad Stride gum episode, which is one of the worst in the series. With Rosenbaum leaving, it honestly felt like it was time to end the show. I will say that the episode where Lex finally makes that turn and kills Lionel was very well done.

Seasons 8-10: Rosenbaum leaving actually forced the writers to try something different and I think it largely worked. They somehow made the Doomsday thing kind of work, other than the disappointing finale and horrendous Jimmy Olsen plot twist. Losing Lex, Lana and Kara but bringing Green Arrow in full time along with Tess was a bit of fresh air.

Season 9, with Callum Blue as Zod, honestly might have been the best season of the show. Blue was great and they were clearly full comic book at this point. Easily the best season-long arc they've done. The final season wasn't as good and the Darkseid arc was handled poorly. Still a solid ending though.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I binged most of this show last year, but I kind of lost interest around season 9 - I guess knowing there was gonna be a whole season of "The Blur calls Lois at that one payphone and there's gonna be a whole Clark-Lois-The Blur love triangle" dampened my mood. I wonder how well this show would have been received if it wasn't explicitly a Superman property. Like can you imagine any other show spending seven and half seasons building up the two main character's Epic Romance, but then being like "just kidding this other woman is the End Game"

I don't know what they were trying to do with Jor El because he's all over the place, but then they also didn't know what they were doing with Lex because he spins wildly from "I'm literally the nicest person on this show" to "I'm have bad tendencies because of my abusive upbringing" to "I'm actually just pure evil and my father's abuse was him trying to stop me" and it's all just super unearned.

And speaking of unearned: Let's talk about Martha Kent's political career. Jonathan dies on election night, and the Governor offers her his seat even though he wasn't even sworn in. Then that US senator dies and the Governor is like "Lol you should go to Washington" and she does. She has never won an election, but she did hobnob with Metropolis's richest of the rich when she was pseudo-dating Lionel. It's corruption is what it is.

I skipped the Native American episode because I super wasn't in the mood for a "Magical Native Americans Who Can Turn Into Wolves Try To Protect Their Sacred Lands From Corporations" story, but then it turned out that episode introduced the Magical Prophecy Cave that was the actual foundation for like half the show. Oops!

Season 4: The witch season. Likely the second worst season of the show. Epic finale though.

The Witch season owns because everyone is incredibly chill about Lana being possessed by a Witch, half the conversations between Dean from Supernatural and Doctor Quinn from Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman don't make any sense because they're working together, the Witch depossessing Lana doesn't make sense because Dean is still alive at that point, and in the following season no one ever acknowledges that Dean died in the Kent's house during the Meteor Apocalypse. It also has that episode where Clark and Lana borrow Lionel's jet to follow Dean and Lex to China, as teenagers from a rural Kansas town do, and then The Witch pops out and there's a brief Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fight between Lana and Clark.

Seasons 6-7: I thought 6 was a step back but still had some solid stuff. The Lana/Lex stuff was insane though. S7 is the worst season of the show, hands down. They mishandled Supergirl completely, the Lana stuff was horrendous, the writer's strike clearly forced them to rush through what should have been an epic final arc for Lex, etc.

My favorite part of this season was the revelation that Lionel was part of a secret society that knew about the Kryptonian coming and that he has literally always known that Clark was The Traveler, which retroactively makes everything that Lionel does in the first half of the season completely nonsensical.

(I think that really ill-advised illegal immigration episode was somewhere in one of these two seasons - remember the one with a young Tyler Posey, and the Meteor Freak Farmer who was burying people alive, and it's like, and Martha being all "I have to turn this kid in because he's here illegally I'm a Senator" and Clark is all "Um I was literally an illegal immigrant" and then Martha is all "Oh you right we should make exceptions for exceptional youths" and I'm over here like "Newsflash Martha all youths are exceptional and don't deserve to be deported!"

They somehow made the Doomsday thing kind of work, other than the disappointing finale and horrendous Jimmy Olsen plot twist.

that finale fucking owned
kWNGDhD.png

jtQwjuE.png

Still a solid ending though.

I haven't gotten back there yet, but I remember watching it when it actually aired and being really confused as to why Smallville was an in-universe comic and also why Clark and Lois were pretending not to be dating in the epilogue.