GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They're really different things. Do you have a Switch? You can start by dipping your toes in the SNES's library with SNES Online, and then see how much deeper you want to go from there. Real SNES with carts is obviously way more expensive.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
while it doesn't have everything the NSO free library of SNES is a great appetizer if you have a switch, and i think they look fine on my big tv

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
90% of the minis for sale out there are fake. The only way to tell if they are real is by looking at the game menu or by opening up the case.

Last year you could tell apart the fakes from the real ones because the fakes were $80 and the real ones were $200. But now even the fake ones are $200++

Always always ask the seller for a pic of the game menu of the mini he's selling. If he refuses, he has a fake one.

It's very rare for someone to have a legit NEW mini these days (most will be fake, even if they tell you it's real).

You'll have more luck getting a real one by buying it used, but still ask for the same verification. A lot of sellers don't even know they have fakes.

Fake ones can't be hacked, the emulation is shit, the UI is broken and the controllers will disintegrate after a while. So never buy one of those.
Yikes! I had no idea (because after I bought one, I stopped looking for them)
I got mine at Target, so I'm pretty sure it's legit!

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
As for the NES Mini, 90% of those are also fake, and it's almost impossible to tell them apart from a real one. Even by looking at the game menu. The only real way to tell them apart is by opening up the case.
I'm glad I managed to snag a refurbished one from Nintendo's website around this time last year, because holy shit finding an authentic one might actually be harder than finding authentic DS cartridges these days.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad I managed to snag a refurbished one from Nintendo's website around this time last year, because holy shit finding an authentic one might actually be harder than finding authentic DS cartridges these days.

That's why I stopped collecting old games too.
There are also a TON of fake GBA and DS games that look just like the original.

And while all the NES, SNES, N64 games are relal, the boxes and manuals are reproductions. And people sell "original" CIB games using repro boxes. I can't tell a real one from a fake one when it comes to NES games, but I know how to spot fake/repro SNES boxes and there are a TON of those on ebay.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Way more expensive and time consuming to get one and then get the games for it. It comes down to you wanting the authentic experience and wanting to have the physical games or you simply wanting to play the games. If all you want to do is play the games just get a mini. I still have my old snes from when I was a kid and I don't even bother buying games for it anymore, the games are too damn expensive for me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i can't imagine the libraries of any of the mini consoles fully satisfying me but if that is all you want to play (HOW???)... just go for the Mini.
Yeah, the mini consoles are just a taste of what the real things offer but if that's basically all someone wants, they might as well just get SNES Classic or subscribe to Switch Online.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Why are people recommending the snes classic? If you wants full library, you need to hack it. At that point you may as well just buy something that is more easily obtainable like a Pi4.

If you want to go none real hardware, then buy a MiSTER.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I have my original Snes with all my carts and I play the mini more its just easier to use with modern TV's.

Although I do get my OG snes out every Thanksgiving so I can kick my sisters ass at Street Fighter (25 years undefeated) and then do our no death run of Super Mario World together.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love my original hardware SNES and CRT setup, but it is not exactly practical. SNES Mini is a great solution.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Is that in the settings of the GUI, or do you have to adjust an ini file or something?

There is an HMOD (snes_custom_filters) you install through hakchi, I imagine this is what they are talking about

www.youtube.com

How to add/ remove Smoothing and Scanlines to your SNES Classic (Tutorial)

How to Hack your Classic systemhttps://youtu.be/JwaGYQTniTUNES and SNES Classic Modding help!https://discord.gg/Kh9p8wTHakchi CEhttps://github.com/TeamShinka...

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Don't waste your money on a mini, this is what you want.

www.analogue.co

Super Nt - Analogue

I love my super NT, but analogue restocks are extremely sparse. Also its maybe geared towards someone whos really serious about SNES games. That being said, it really does FEEL way better to play on the super NT vs the mini, especially games like smw where input lag is really noticeable for making precision jumps.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
There is an HMOD (snes_custom_filters) you install through hakchi, I imagine this is what they are talking about

www.youtube.com

How to add/ remove Smoothing and Scanlines to your SNES Classic (Tutorial)

How to Hack your Classic systemhttps://youtu.be/JwaGYQTniTUNES and SNES Classic Modding help!https://discord.gg/Kh9p8wTHakchi CEhttps://github.com/TeamShinka...
Maybe it's my plasma TV and my setting on there, but I think the default filters on the SNES classic look great to me.
(the Gensis-mini, however, that needed better filters)

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ooo, a fellow Plasma owner. I lucked out and bought the last Plasmas Panasonic made in 2014. Best decision I've made in my life.

It did die on me a few years ago, but I bought a replacement power supply board on ebay and installed it myself.
Then one of the speakers died, but I don't care about that because I have 5.1 system so I don't really use the TV's speakers.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's my plasma TV and my setting on there, but I think the default filters on the SNES classic look great to me.
(the Gensis-mini, however, that needed better filters)
It's super subjective and there's no wrong answer. The type of filtering they appear to use by default on the SNES Mini irks me as someone that uses high line count (800 or above) PVM/BVM's. I /love/ that razor sharp RGB look with natural scanlines. However, there are plenty that much prefer the more nostalgic soft, almost composite-like look that some of these filters are trying to mimic and that's totally fine, too.

Even with the hack, the scanline filter used in the Mini isn't at the level of a proper CRT but its pretty decent and I like that the hack gives people the choice.

Oh and Plasma fans unite.:) I've since moved to OLED in my main home theater but I still have my VT50 Panasonic Plasma in the living room. That set is still fantastic.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Its honestly far more enjoyable to play SNES games on the Switch online service. Portability and all of the advantages of the mini SNES.

The only drawback is the really small library.

I also can't imagine playing SNES games on a gigantic LCD television. That shit was designed to be played sitting 4 feet from a 20" CRT.

Oct 27, 2017
If you own a CRT, SNES and Everdrive. If you game exclusively on HDTVs, SNES Mini w/ Hakchi. Pretty simple calculus from where I'm sitting.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Would highly, highly recommend looking into the MiSTer Project.
www.resetera.com

MiSTer FPGA System

MiSTeR is an open source reproduction/emulation project designed around the FPGA equipped Terasic DE10-nano. It is still early days, but there are already a ton of awesome cores for things like the NES, Genesis, Turbografx16, MSX, and plenty of arcade games. The main components you will need...