• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will we get a rerelease someday?

• Yes

Votes: 126 49.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.2%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
It's strange how the game never got released digitally. With 7R coming it'd be a great time to release so people can play as Zack again.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Gackt will personally punch you if you say that ever again.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Chances are high it is retconned in some ways with the remake and they potentially could include some more flashbacks in one of the ff7 remake sequels that you play as Zack becaue they are going to need some more content to pad these games to desirable amount of content to sell.

I think that's more likely at this point than you see this game back, I think they want to focus on one narrative for ff7 at present. That FF7 compilation might not be considered canon anymore. They want to forget about dirge and all that shit.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
God I wish. But no, I doubt it'll ever happen...

Is there a specific reason why it's unlikely? Was this one of the games Squenix was embarrassed to admit they lost the code for? I mean, they ported Final Fantasy Type-0 over to consoles, why wouldn't they want to make some comparatively easy money with a low-cost port as a "While you're waiting," hold over?

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I think it will someday. Crisis Core is among the best PSP games so I don't see it as impossible.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Don't see why not, a few years ago people said they wouldn't remake FFVII after 'false alarms' with the 2005 teaser and port annoucement at PS Experience 2014. How long did it take for them to re release Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy IX? It's quite popular and as far as handheld spins off go.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt. I hope "Price of Freedom" plays on the VII Remake though.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it will happen eventually. Aren't they basically saying they want to release everything digitally that they still have the code for?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a license issue they might have to replace Gackt's face as Genesis, what a fucking travesty...

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so, and would also prefer they didn't. There's like an hour of that game that might be worth reincoporating into the remake though, but that's about it.

Playing as Zack during the final few hours of his life in particular would be cool, but too much work to justify.

Oct 25, 2017
MULTIPLE VOTES ARE ALLOWED

Also nah there is no way. I'm annoyed too because it'd be great to replay on the vita.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't they just...change Gackt's character model? I guess the FMV scenes would need to be redone, but that's a small price to pay if they're gonna be remastering the game anyway.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
Every game will potentially rerelease at some point; eventually, I think AI will be able to reproduce and remaster pretty much every game.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Everything FF7 is going to be around remake, they are positioning it as a new entry point for all players. You don't want any of that old baggage.

The game isn't very good and the director quit too so no one is there to internally push for it either. 99 percent sure it's dead, just like how they will never touch 3rd Birthday or the Type-1 game they teased and everyone forgot about!!!

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a specific reason why it's unlikely? Was this one of the games Squenix was embarrassed to admit they lost the code for? I mean, they ported Final Fantasy Type-0 over to consoles, why wouldn't they want to make some comparatively easy money with a low-cost port as a "While you're waiting," hold over?

Popular theory is that it's because of some contractual issues with Gackt, whose likeness was used for Genesis, the character he also voiced.
Or it's related to the music license for 'Why' by Ayaka.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I really want to play Dirge of Cerberus again. Sadly, it looks bad with a ps2 on a 4k tv with an adapter to hdmi. Shame it never could come to the PS store. I really enjoyed third person shooters and to see final fantasy cutscenes and story with one, was awesome. Especially when it was VII. I also appreciated the gun customization? Or changing weapons / range and what not. I hope to see Vincent in a future VIIR game play somewhat similar.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I feel like they will incorporate things from Crisis Core into the remake.
I really want to see
Cloud seeing the end of Zack plus walking with the Buster Sword unable to lift it. Imagine one of these games ending with that moment but the player walking with Cloud toward Midgar in the distance until he collapses. Like you could see the city getting closer and closer and then bam. I think they could make it really dramatic overall.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believed that Square would release a 13 remaster or crisis core, but no News at e3 kinda buried that hope.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
13 remaster can still happen at TGS but I''m not optimistic. It's 10th anniversary, they could have something there, there is a chance.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they're more likely to integrate parts of it into the FF VII remake series or remake it to capitalize on people hooked on the FF VII remakes.

A straight re-release seems unlikely because of all the licensing issues, and the fact that it probably wouldn't be well received running with little to no graphical improvements (other than increased resolution). I dunno that they'd try to remaster it—Type 0 was a bit of a challenge for them.

Nov 1, 2017
Why would Gackt be such a big issue though? Taking other re-releases Square has done in the past for example Eyes on Me is still in the FF8 ports (as far as I know) while Type-0 had that song by Bump of Chicken intact when it was localized. The dude also has a million different looks but even ignoring that since the likeness is fairly documented would it be too big of a hurdle to sort out the legalese for that?

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only music issue is the main theme "Why"

That's owned by the artist.

Crisis Core's issue was a multitude over rights problems and etc. not just Gackt

They mentioned before about wanting to port it, but were always never outright saying why they can't

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I was just reminded the other day that Final Fantasy 7 universe used to be Gackt Cinematic Universe. Please don't have Gackt

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
If they ever do, I hope they revamp the combat. Like Dirge of Cerberus, the game left almost no impression at all.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No. With the remake in place none of that stuff is canon anymore, I'd wager. Its dubious quality would hurt the brand than anything else, anyway.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for perserving gaming history... but I wouldn't be too sad if it didn't get re-released...

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They could always pay Gackt, ya know lol.

These companies are so damn cheap.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Why would Gackt be such a big issue though? Taking other re-releases Square has done in the past for example Eyes on Me is still in the FF8 ports (as far as I know) while Type-0 had that song by Bump of Chicken intact when it was localized. The dude also has a million different looks but even ignoring that since the likeness is fairly documented would it be too big of a hurdle to sort out the legalese for that?

Eyes on Me is a song written and composed by then Square Enix composer Uematsu. While Faye Wong singing the song could be an issue, it's not really when Squeenix owns the song outright I believe. Unlike say Gackt doing music for CC or any licensed music from any Jpop act or Leona Lewis.