• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, my movie and tv show backlog is catching up with my gaming back log. You have to realize that you can't see/watch everything. I try to go by mood.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Is it not often more about the journey than the destination though? Especially for a sitcom where the story is only really a vehicle for the gags. That last season of HIMYM was truly painful though, as was Ted's endless navel-gazing throughout the series.

If the destination is a dumpster fire, then the journey wasn't worth tqking..

Oct 27, 2017
Memphis, TN
It's actually really easy, your friends tell you how you absolutely have to watch some show and you say the following exact words: "Oh man yeah I've heard that's really great I've definitely been meaning to check it out". Then you just go watch The X-Files again for the 100th time.

Trust me it works.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It's actually really easy, your friends tell you how you absolutely have to watch some show and you say the following exact words: "Oh man yeah I've heard that's really great I've definitely been meaning to check it out". Then you just go watch The X-Files again for the 100th time.

Trust me it works.

Sometimes you've just gotta go back to the ol' fail-safes. Can't think of anything to watch but wanna watch something? Star Trek TNG will do the trick.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Similar to movies, I try to go by mood. I also try to atleast watch one new show every year during summer. Last summer it was The Sopranos and this year Im probably gonna finally watch The Wire.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Alot of shows have one episode a week for me.
Like Ms Marvel and Westworld i have now. For the rest i just started The Boys new season and Stranger Things Part 2. The last one is over soon.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
By recommendation, or just by random youtube clips. I watch more cartoons and Marvel stuff than anything else... but once in a while I check out critically acclaimed stuff that interests me - The Shield, Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The Wire etc. It helps that Im usually watching the show after it completes so I can watch it at my own pace. Oh, and it helps if Walton Goggins is in it - that got me into Shield, then Justified, then Vice Principals, and I have my eye on Righteous Gemstones next...
Oh, and I watch One Piece... slowly. By the time I catch up, they'll probably be getting closer to the series actually ending.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the way they pick TV shows is, they make one show. That show's called a pilot. Then they show that one show to the people who pick shows, and on the strength of that one show they decide if they wanna make more shows.

You could do pretty much the same.

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
Think of it less like entertainment and more like a job!

But in all seriousness, I give a show only ONE episode to hook me (or maybe two if it's 30 minutes) and will not feel pressured to waste hours finishing something I'm not enjoying. I also set myself a soft time limit per day which keeps me from watching time killer shows.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Based on word of mouth mostly these days from family and friends.

I will watch an entire season before making up my mind about a show. If I start something, I go into it with an open mind.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I check trailers and the pitch and then decide if it may interest me or not. And i don't go further than 2 or 3 episodes if it's not grabbing me.

You have to sort through everything based on your own parameters. That's it.

Rubber_Cat

Aug 30, 2019
I don't. I hear people go "this is great!" get big FOMO and try to cram it into the already crowded space of my watch list and then wonder why I get stressed about it all.

Like right now I've got a backlog of about 10hrs of VODs of streamers I watch, the same in movies on the backlog, TV series I've just about got under control now though.

I have been good in the past though, I eventually dropped a bunch of shows I realised I was only watching out of obligation and not really enjoying any more last year and it's helped immensely. But with all the new shows and all the movies finally catching up from the pandemic it's bonkers again. Let's not evne get into the shows I'd like to re-watch at some point, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Just don't watch multiple series at the same time. Don't fall in the weekly trap. Wait until the series is finished, see how people feel about it then and whether it's still worth it. Then, watch it in four days and move on to the next project. A series should not be more than a week engagement. No wonder you feel burned out if you have to engage for months before a show is wrapped up.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
I gave up and went back to watching old shows I've already seen, much easier.

With new shows I prefer waiting until they completely finish and then figure out if the series as a whole is worth watching. For example if the ending soured people, it's an easy skip. If the characters end up making stupid decisions just to progress story or there's senseless twists and turns, hopefully I find out about that crap before I waste any of my time on such shows. With all that in mind, I've been watching a lot of newer mini series in the past few years.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
This has been an especially crazy time for shows to come out, I wonder if it is a timing thing with production and Covid and getting. But yeah, right now I'm watching Stranger Things, Masterchef, just finished Masterchef Junior, waiting on part 2 of Better Call Saul, and haven't started Obi-wan. Usually, I have nothing to watch, but this has been a plethora of good stuff.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the problem is I start too many at once and have to juggle between episodes and keep up with all the plot, characters etc in all of them.
More often than not, if I don't find the show good enough I just drop it or I just can't be bothered to continue.

Those are the advantages of the Netflix shows where you can just binge a show in a couple of days and get it over with.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
1 or 2 episodes if it doesn't make an impression or I pick up my phone then off it goes in the bin life's to short to spend watching shit that has only a passing interest for me

I've binned everything on CW since vampire diaries ended everything from that channels looks and feels cheap and crap

All network TV shows again cheap and trash imo

HBO,NETFLIX ,APPLE is where the main bulk of any TV I watch now will be from

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
It's pretty easy for me. There's a lot that straight up doesn't interest me.

Like, in terms of the hot shows right now, I'm not interested in Obi-Wan (don't care about Star Wars in general), Ted Lasso, Stranger Things (watched S1 and did not like it enough to continue), Russian Doll S2 (thought S1 had a great self-contained ending and don't want to watch any more), etc. CW shows all look like garbage to me. Im not interested in reality shows/competitions. I am rarely interested in Marvel's shows; the only exception was WandaVision because of the cool homages to old sitcom styles, and Loki because I really like Loki lol.

I gravitate towards sci-fi, dramas, and animated stuff, with maybe some silly comedies here and there. Last things I watched were Severance and I'm currently working through Arrested Development.

I check trailers and the pitch and then decide if it may interest me or not. And i don't go further than 2 or 3 episodes if it's not grabbing me.

You have to sort through everything based on your own parameters. That's it.

This is a more succinct way of saying what I was trying to say.

Last edited:

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Because I hate almost everything. Makes deciding what to watch super easy.

Here's the list of current shows I'm trying to keep up with.

How to With John Wilson
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Severence

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not often more about the journey than the destination though? Especially for a sitcom where the story is only really a vehicle for the gags. That last season of HIMYM was truly painful though, as was Ted's endless navel-gazing throughout the series.
ordinarily i would agree but himym was definitely the exception to the rule, f**k that ending

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't decide.

I just isolate myself and watch my favorite YouTube content creators. Only venturing out of my carefully curated bubble to watch sports, occasional movies, and MCU content when it arises.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I try to stick to one show that I'm currently interested in, prefer mowing it all down in one go and then move on. But the release schedules of most shows nowadays tend to fuck up that plan. Put out all episodes of a season at once please. It's a stupid problem to have too many shows but not enough episodes.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I only watch anime now. Though there are a number of those each season, as well.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I try to keep my tv to watch pile really small. Otherwise it's so easy to get overwhelmed these days.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Are there too many shows? I feel like the last few years the trend has been for most TV shows to be super short and only get a season once every few years. It's nothing like a decade ago where every show had 20+ 45 minute episodes every year.

Anyway, I just watch what interests me or I'm in the mood for. Am I in the mood for fantasy? I'll check out if there's something new. Sci-fi? Same thing. If I hear about a show making a particular splash and it seems interesting to me, I'll give it priority. Though honestly I feel like it's been awhile since a show REALLY hooked me for an extended period of time. Even something I've enjoyed like Severance or some of the Disney+ stuff, it's all so short that it's easy for me to watch it all in a weekend or something.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I mostly watch Twitch and YouTube. I also would rather listen to music and read, and also listen to podcasts. I have been riding my bicycle a lot lately as well, so I play something in the background if I am riding alone, or just nothing to soak in the atmosphere, group rides have to pay attention and hang out, so no audio there.

Movie and shows aren't really in my interest right now, but every so often I dive in to whatever grabs me. Don't bother trying to keep up with whatever is hyped up, too much effort.

BorganXI

Oct 27, 2017
WA
Currently watching Ms. Marvel, The Boys, Orville, The Old Man, and waiting for Saul to come back.
Finished Stranger Things, Ozark, Outer Range as they dropped.

If anything, sometimes I run out of stuff to watch.

Can't imagine just giving a series 10-15 minutes of the first episode and deciding right there.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This is easy for me.

Disney+ is a guaranteed watch for me, especially MCU and SW.

Past that I limit heavily towards comedy and action. If it's depressing, has too much drama then I'm out.

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just very picky. I only watch things that really call out to me. I'm open to trying a lot of things out, but I guess I don't value TV as much as I value getting through games, movies, music, or books. That isn't to say that I don't love a great TV show, but that it has somehow become less prioritized over the others for me, in part maybe because of the large time investment. I have quite a few shows that I know I'm gonna love that I have yet to begin, but it's nice to know that they're waiting. I just wish that people would stop spoiling The Shield in random places, so help me God.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
We only have time for two episodes of tv a week so we have to be extremely selective. We just go on recommendations and word of mouth.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The real answer is that I don't watch a lot. I used to watch a lot more TV. Now, there's too much to keep up with, and it's too hard to know what's good, or predict what is going to last.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I have a very small circle of friends who love film/shows and one that reviews them for a living. I just ask them as our tastes are very similar.