• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
There is a worse kind levels... Worse than water and ice levels. Dark levels with just a circle of light surrounding the character.

Fuck those levels. You can't see shit in an annoying kind of way.

Example below.

ghl6iAF.jpg

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
NSMBU ones are good though because there's the lil yellow baby yoshi that makes light

Edit : oh yeah fuck that level in the dark with the giant skelettons in Dark Souls

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Tropical Freeze had that combined with a water level and it ruled
1200px-WiiU_DKCountry_scrn03_E3.png

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
The dark section of Ori Will of the Wisps takes it a step further that if you are in the dark too long you just die and you need to follow along these moving lights. There's even some swimming mixed in if I recall correctly.

Ori_And_The_Will_Of_The_Wisps_3_8_2020_8_20_23_PM.png

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha I literally said "Yes, Dark levels." Fucking hate them.

If there is one dark level that doesn't suck it's the latest Ori game, it has that one level where the darkness adds a lot more complexity to the level design, but then also you eventually get the power to visit that level overpowering the darkness, and I like that.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the thread title and I'm thinking "darkness"
It is indeed Darkness!

Some stages do it better than others but often it's a gimmick that exists to be a pain as opposed to shaking up the platforming in a strong way.
Honestly one of my least favourites are the sections in Shovel Knight of all games, where they make the screen mostly shadowed but use lightning strikes to lighten the area briefly, I can't put my finger on why these bits in particular do my swede.

Meanwhile I'll happily roam through Tomb of the Giants and the Gutter in Souls games, and the previously mentioned Ori and the Will of the Wisps area.
So I think it's entirely how its executed for me, the ones that involve waiting on light flashes to progress can just get in the bin, the rest I can kinda enjoy usually.

DKC1 has the interesting case of a stage with obnoxious flashing lights (Blackout Basement) and timed lighting (Loopy Lights) and the latter is so much better because the player is more in control of the lighting gimmick and it doesn't assault your eyes like the other one.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Water and Ice levels tend to be better more often than not. Darkness is incredibly good when done well like in NSMB.

The real awful level theme is deserts.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
The under water stealth sections from Shadow of the Tomb Raider are actually the worst. But yeah, as far as general themes go, dark level suck. Curse of Darkness in Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is my least favorite part of that game.