• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Slightly disappointing but I'm not going to cancel my preorder over it. I could notice my One S 1080p IU compared to my PS4 pro on a 55 inch 4k screen, but bearly. I'm more surprised that for the UI to go from 1080p to 4k requires an extra Gb of ram.

Gwyn

Oct 25, 2017
Like who gives a shit.
I'll fucking lose my goddamn mind if MS makes it 4k just because some are really concerned instead of allowing more ram to devs.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
TIL that the Xbox One X dashboard that I've looked at several hundred times in the last few years displays at 1080p.

It's safe to say that I'm entirely unbothered about the Series X displaying at the same resolution.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
You don't?

More memory for games. But hey.... Reasons to get angry make people feels good.

No, the UI is the thing I see for 3 seconds in between games.

And like you said, rendering at lower resolution gives more resources to games.

this concern trolling is getting tiring. First the "its so hot you'll burn yourself" and now this.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
I want this same energy when we get game that is 4K checkerboard/reconstruction vs native 4K resolution on these consoles.

Lets just be glad that we are saving hours of loading with these SSDs.

Some users can be ridiculous sometimes

Booker Do It

Sep 25, 2018
I honestly can't believe people care about this. If the devs can use the extra power then I'd rather that be the case rather than having a slightly crisper looking dashboard.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TIL that the Xbox One X dashboard that I've looked at several hundred times in the last few years displays at 1080p.

It's safe to say that I'm entirely unbothered about the Series X displaying at the same resolution.
Console wars gonna console wars.

During this time there will be many things that surfacing that seem trivial but will become things of legend in the name of wins for X or Y.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it more amusing how few realised their current UI wasn't 4K. In any case this is certainly strange, especially for a next-gen system, and when you'll be spending a tonne of time in the UI, but I suppose the extra ram for games is more important.

These systems should probably start shipping with a small amount of DDR ram or something to compensate for this issue though.

This is what I think too. Like not one person has even noticed until today LOL. So a few tiles aren't going to be 4k. If that allows for even a few hundred megabytes to be free'd up to devs it's worth it IMO.

I have had a one X attached to my 65 inch 4k TV for a few years and I completely forgot/never noticed that it wasn't 4k.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares, the longer you spend in the UI the less effectively designed it is. Keep it fast, keep it minimal - especially consider their history with clunky UI's.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who gives a damn if the UI is at 720p, 1080p or higher?
It's not like you sit on the couch staring at the UI for hours.

Whilst it's certainly a tertiary element of a system, I've still spent a fair amount in mine, eg looking at screenshots I've personally taken, or that have been shared in messages, plus videos, editing videos, transferring files, sending and typing messages, arranging or managing parties, browsing the store, libraries, storage options, looking at content and streams from other users, checking trophies/achievements, using integrated apps, searching users from LFG groups or recently played to add in parties and so on.

But again, if a 4K UI is really going to cost 1GB of extra memory vs the 1080p alternative, and developers are asking to use it for games, so be it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Really bizarre. I honestly expect this to get changed in a firmware update, possibly before launch.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
User Warned: Conspiracy Theories
How ever can I enjoy my Dirt 5 play through at 4K 120 fps if the system start menu is at 1080 p?

Sounds like a click bait article from another gaming "journalist" desperate for views.

Risk Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ewww. Sub-native UI is one of my pet peeves :/

Wouldn't have expected MS would do that to squeeze out more RAM out of the system already.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little bit of a bummer, but I don't think it's a big deal at all. Never thought the dashboard looked bad on my 4K TV. Heck, I don't even think the Switch's 720p UI looks bad on it either. Not sure where people are getting the idea of it being blurry.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Is the current X1X dashboard not running at 4k? Because at no point have i ever looked at it and thought it needed a higher resolution. This is on a 4k OLED.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
1080p looks unreasonably blurry to me now after 4k gaming for a few years. This makes no sense for a next gen machine.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would never have guessed the One X UI was in 1080p. I saw nothing on there that I would ever call blurry so this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is the current X1X dashboard not running at 4k? Because at no point have i ever looked at it and thought it needed a higher resolution. This is on a 4k OLED.
It's 1080p

I would have liked that pin sharp text of the PS4, but I presume that MS know what they are doing and this is a worthy sacrifice on their machine.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
No, the UI is the thing I see for 3 seconds in between games.

And like you said, rendering at lower resolution gives more resources to games.

this concern trolling is getting tiring. First the "its so hot you'll burn yourself" and now this.
To be completely fair, we had months of concern trolling about Sony not showing off their UI and now that there's slightly negative news about the Xbox UI people suddenly claim they don't care and don't spend more than 3 seconds in the UI between games. The double standards are quite annoying.
People can legitimately care or not care about the resolution of the UI. Both opinions can exist and should be tolerated.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good think we are gonna jump between games in the blink of an eye!

IceBear

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah I don't like this at all. I have said before new generations are exciting because everything is new. Not only are they reusing the dash they not even updated it to 4K? Why? Fix this please MS

and the whole reason of more for games, I agree with John, they should have more than enough

what's wrong with reusing the UI? why change something if it works? Folks like you are using ANYTHING to bash the platform.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I think too. Like not one person has even noticed until today LOL. So a few tiles aren't going to be 4k. If that allows for even a few hundred megabytes to be free'd up to devs it's worth it IMO.

I have had a one X attached to my 65 inch 4k TV for a few years and I completely forgot/never noticed that it wasn't 4k.
I remember reading about this quite often to be fair. Especially in the console warring phase after the Xbox One launched. It's not unheard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.