Status
Not open for further replies.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
When Microsoft streamed their "first look at Xbox Series X gameplay", basically all videos had a disclaimer at the bottom that read "footage representative of expected Xbox Series X visual quality", "footage representative of expected Xbox Series X gameplay", or, in the case of the short snippet from Madden 21, "gameplay captured in Xbox Series X engine". The exceptions were The Medium, which had a CGI/pre-rendered trailer; and Yakuza: Like a Dragon, which didn't make it clear on which platform its footage had been captured.

After the huge backlash the company received from fans, who considered that initial showing to be, at the very least, a bit misleading (given its title), you'd expect that the folks at Redmond would learn from their mistakes - especially when their competition made a significant splash a little over a month later. And even if Sony's showcase was also light on "hands on the controller" gameplay, they made a (literal) statement at the very beginning, by claiming: "All game footage you are about to see from this point forward in the show has been captured from PlayStation 5 systems".

That, to me, was the most important moment of all next-gen reveals. It meant that, no matter what you were looking at, you were guaranteed to see the exact same thing if you were to boot those games on your own PS5. No "in-engine" demos. No footage "representative" of the console's specs. Actual captures from real PS5 hardware.

Microsoft had a chance to redeem themselves with their July's "Xbox Games Showcase", and we all know how that went. Craig memes aside, the worst aspect of the Halo Infinite gameplay demo, which was supposed to promote the Series X biggest launch title (at the time), and still considered one of Microsoft's flagship franchises, is that the game wasn't running on a Series X console either.

What followed was another baffling display of CGI, pre-rendered and in-engine trailers - exactly what the fans didn't want after the previous, disappointing event. At no point did they specifically say "this is real gameplay running on an actual Series X". We saw a small glimpse of Ori and the Will of the Wisps at 120fps, but not only that is another current-gen title, they didn't bother to clarify from which device they captured the footage (and whenever that happens, we can safely assume it's from the PC version).

I was holding out hope until the price and release date announcement. I figured that, by then, Microsoft would've finally felt compelled to show something - anything - running on Series X - and not through third-party outlets, but in an official capacity, through their social media channels, commercials, etc.

That announcement came and went and all games we saw were running on Series S. No mention of X. Nothing. With only two months left before that console is released, the only games we've seen actually running on it have been current- and last-gen offerings, through the lenses of Digital Foundry and Austin Evans, of all people.

Clearly, Microsoft are more interested in selling Game Pass subscriptions than consoles, at this point. Phil Spencer's statement during their big showcase, that all of the titles on display would be available day-one on Game Pass, seemed like a direct response to Sony's bold claim of prior, which also encompassed all of the games the Japanese company showed off in their event - just in a different way. It served to cement the differences in focus and strategy of the two giants.

However, if you're releasing a brand new piece of hardware no matter what, you have to make your case for it. Regardless of how compelling you think your subscription service is, you still have to demonstrate how much better games will look and play on the $500 device that you're about to ship, otherwise, you're selling a product based solely on false expectations. From a consumer perspective, that is unacceptable.

I hope we get to see more of the Series X in action before the actual game reviews start dropping in. We've never seen or known so little about new consoles (and that includes the PS5) this close to their release.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably we'll get Assassin's Creed and whatever else running on X closer to launch. Was happy they at least showed S footage with the reveal, like you mentioned.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda strange that the examples Microsoft has shown of the next-gen benefits 7 months apart have been current-gen games, and not particularly demanding games at that (State of Decay 2, The Outer Worlds). Why would they not be showing the gameplay running for new games? Sony with Spider-Man: Miles Morales too. That's their main launch game and we've not seen proper gameplay. Even Demon's Souls rumoured to be ready for launch and no gameplay for that either.

Maybe they both plan to unleash this much closer to launch to give a burst of hype, but that still doesn't make much sense to me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fine, there's just probably not a lot to really show off the systems power at launch, other than souped up Xbox One games.

I'm sure when at least something like Flight Simulator drops they'll be tripping over themselves to show it off.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Who cares? Are we worried Gears Tactics won't launch when you click it or something?

they made a (literal) statement at the very beginning, by claiming: "All game footage you are about to see from this point forward in the show has been captured from PlayStation 5 systems".

That, to me, was the most important moment of all next-gen reveals. It meant that, no matter what you were looking at, you were guaranteed to see the exact same thing if you were to boot those games on your own PS5. No "in-engine" demos. No footage "representative" of the console's specs. Actual captures from real PS5 hardware.

It was a super effective marketing line but it's not nearly that ironclad. They didn't even say real time. You can "capture" lots of things from a system that aren't final gameplay. Run a prebaked demo and capture it, etc.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's baffling with all that power and no gameplay yet running on the X.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they allow outlets like Digital Foundry access to review units a couple of weeks before release so we can see them being run through its paces.

Jun 23, 2019
It is kinda strange that the examples Microsoft has shown of the next-gen benefits 7 months apart have been current-gen games, and not particularly demanding games at that (State of Decay 2, The Outer Worlds). Why would they not be showing the gameplay running for new games? Sony with Spider-Man: Miles Morales too. That's their main launch game and we've not seen proper gameplay. Even Demon's Souls rumoured to be ready for launch and no gameplay for that either.

Maybe they both plan to unleash this much closer to launch to give a burst of hype, but that still doesn't make much sense to me.

Well Sony hasn't even had their blowout show yet, so it's a little premature to say they haven't shown anything especially considering we just had the Ratchet and Clank demo at Gamescom.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is another Xbox One X situation. At this point this feels like another midgen upgrade with no next-gen only games. And the crossgen games except Cyberpunk don't even look THAT good. Maybe they upgrade Watchdogs and Assassins Creed a bit more until November? Both look kinda underwhelming right now.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Now the Halo 5 is delayed, is there anything considered as the launch killer app?
It's Gears Tactics and The Medium for me but that's because I'm a horror and Gears fanboy, I understand a lot of people might not be interested in those two. Nothing super popular with the mass market (well Gears is but this is an XCOM type of game)

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Well Sony hasn't even had their blowout show yet, so it's a little premature to say they haven't shown anything especially considering we just had the Ratchet and Clank demo at Gamescom.
They kinda had back in June. And if you don`t think that this was their "blowout show" and there`s more to come, what makes you think Microsoft wouldn`t have such a show in the upcoming weeks?

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can assure you all that Halo 5 in its current state definitely still needs some polish to the campaign.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
It's Gears Tactics and The Medium for me but that's because I'm a horror and Gears fanboy, I understand a lot of people might not be interested in those two. Nothing super popular with the mass market (well Gears is but this is an XCOM type of game)

tactics is..... ok, it's been available on PC for like 6 months already though.

it's definitely not a killer app though

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I guess we will see actual gameplay today or tomorrow.
Something like that "Inside Xbox Series S" video but for the Series X or even a Digital Foundry video.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Are we sure the ps5 footage wasn't just a video playing on the ps5?! /s

Microsoft will sort it out come launch and a lot of it may be able to be explained by covid. What was a bit noteworthy for me was how all the ms pr people came out after the initial showing and claimed they heard the fans and would do better. A couple of months later and after the sony show, they arguably did the same thing.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
They have shown Minecraft RTX & the Medium. Of course, Minecraft isn't a new game so you can discount that if you wish.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They kinda had back in June. And if you don`t think that this was their "blowout show" and there`s more to come, what makes you think Microsoft wouldn`t have such a show in the upcoming weeks?
Seems pretty much everything in the PS June show was aiming for 2021 at the latest, don't know if I'd consider it a blowout, more a first wave. Whereas MS' where a bit further out. But could be explained with Sony being confident Covid won't push everything back and MS (and most others looking at how barren 21 is at the moment) being cautious that it will. Obviously still plenty of studios unaccounted-for though.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
What's stupid? We've seen all the games that will run on it. What do you expect to gain from the video being labeled "running on Series X"?

Its stupid saying "who cares" when someone made a thread about it and then clearly cares.
And whats so hard to understand that people want to see how the games look and run before throwing 500$ at it?

Jun 23, 2019

When I say "blowout show", I'm talking about revealing price, launch date, UI, possibly more games, etc. Insiders have been hinting for a wile that the game show we got back in summer was not everything Sony had to show and that they held back. Meanwhile, XGS was supposed to rectify the May Inside Xbox show and we saw what happened there. I'm just a teensy bit more reluctant to think Xbox has a grand show planned compared to what Sony might have especially with the leak.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
When I say "blowout show", I'm talking about revealing price, launch date, UI, possibly more games, etc. Insiders have been hinting for a wile that the game show we got back in summer was not everything Sony had to show and that they held back. Meanwhile, XGS was supposed to rectify the May Inside Xbox show and we saw what happened there. I'm just a teensy bit more reluctant to think Xbox has a grand show planned compared to what Sony might have especially with the leak.
As far as I know from leaks/rumours from past weeks, both MS and Sony had planed at least one more show with big announcements, surprises etc. before the release of their new consoles. Phil Spencer said in a tweet, they were planing to announce pricing and release dates next week, but then the leaks happened, so they have done it now. My guess is, they initially had planed to announce that stuff on their next show, just like Sony presumably will on their event. And I guess, this will be the show, they are going to show more games running on Series X.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Its stupid saying "who cares" when someone made a thread about it and then clearly cares.
And whats so hard to understand that people want to see how the games look and run before throwing 500$ at it?

Honestly you're right, I was rude to the OP and I apologize for having an asshole moment - sorry EeK9X for being dismissive.

I still don't really understand the complaint. We have video of all the launch games and they will look pretty similar on Series X.

If the complaint was that they should have showed different games or something with more impressive visuals, I agree entirely. But I can't really get upset because I haven't seen a slightly tweaked capture of Gears Tactics or The Ascent running at high/ultra/ultra/high/high versus all ultra or whatever. For me, it doesn't affect my interest in the game or system at all.

Others may feel differently, of course, and it is indeed a sizeable expense.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think Xbox changed, it's not following the classic console model anymore. It's more like with GPUs. We know what the games look like (unless something new emerges like raytracing), and this will be more of the same but in better quality, higher resolution and better framerates.

That's why I'm all in for the Series X at some point. Not at launch I think, simply because my One X is still good enough for me, but next year or so for sure.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
There's been a severe lack of next gen gameplay from everywhere.

Gamepass has nothing to do with this.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I can't tell if you're trolling. I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to see how games look and play on the most powerful next gen console?

Oh...you!

See my later post above. If we're talking about launch games, I honestly don't care whether I see a new video of known games just so I can say I saw it running on Series X instead of PC. It's going to be basically indistinguishable.

If you're referring to games farther out that might be more impressive than what we've seen for launch, sure, I agree MS should have shown Fable or Forza or anything that really looked solidly next gen.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Honestly you're right, I was rude to the OP and I apologize for having an asshole moment - sorry EeK9X for being dismissive.

I still don't really understand the complaint. We have video of all the launch games and they will look pretty similar on Series X.

If the complaint was that they should have showed different games or something with more impressive visuals, I agree entirely. But I can't really get upset because I haven't seen a slightly tweaked capture of Gears Tactics or The Ascent running at high/ultra/ultra/high/high versus all ultra or whatever. For me, it doesn't affect my interest in the game or system at all.

Others may feel differently, of course, and it is indeed a sizeable expense.

I can see why it might not matter that much to some, you know its a lot better hardware and the games will most likely run a lot better. And I will be the first to admit I will get a PS5 at launch even if they dont show anymore gameplay.

But with MS really highligting all the already available games you will have access to it would be nice to see how they will run on the new hardware. How fast will games like Gears 5 and Horizon 4 load, and how much better will they look? Im really curious about stuff like that.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I can see why it might not matter that much to some, you know its a lot better hardware and the games will most likely run a lot better. And I will be the first to admit I will get a PS5 at launch even if they dont show anymore gameplay.

But with MS really highligting all the already available games you will have access to it would be nice to see how they will run on the new hardware. How fast will games like Gears 5 and Horizon 4 load, and how much better will they look? Im really curious about stuff like that.

That's fair, I was thinking of announced launch games but I am also looking forward to what enhancements they have for stuff like Horizon 4. I bet they show more soon on both BC titles and enhanced XB1 first party titles.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come I don't feel it is an issue at all.
It is a very powerful hardware and I am certain sure the games running on XSX will be pretty and smooth.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
We've seen Gears and some games running on Xbox Series S yesterday.

Nothing to worry about.

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I have a bunch of Xbox One games that I can't wait to try on the Series X because the performance of current gen games has been a bit iffy since the beginning.

OP
OP
EeK9X

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
youtu.be

Haven: 10 Minutes of Xbox Series X Gameplay | gamescom 2020

Yu and Kay escaped to a planet of their own and they'll have to overcome challenges together in the RPG adventure, Haven. Thanks for checking out gamescom 20...

See, that's what I'm talking about. Why hide that kind of stuff from the main events? This is the first I'm learning of these gameplay videos, since I don't follow either Gamespot or IGN. The top comment on The Medium's video is literally " This is actually impressive looking WHY didn't they show along with the trailer in the showcase... ". And even Haven, which already had a demo on Steam last year and is hardly a graphical powerhouse, would be a lot more interesting to see in the Series X showcase, running on Series X hardware, than some random CGI trailer.

They have shown Minecraft RTX & the Medium. Of course, Minecraft isn't a new game so you can discount that if you wish.

Yeah, I wasn't really counting Minecraft as a "new" game. As for The Medium, see my reply above. :)

No worries. But, as others have mentioned, there is value in seeing games running on different hardware. If not, Digital Foundry would be bankrupt, and benchmarks simply wouldn't exist. I really don't agree with this statement of yours:

If we're talking about launch games, I honestly don't care whether I see a new video of known games just so I can say I saw it running on Series X instead of PC. It's going to be basically indistinguishable.

How can you tell without, you know, seeing how those games actually run and compare? Indistinguishable from what kind of PC? There are so many variables.

If you don't care about performance or visual fidelity, that's fine, but Microsoft's entire marketing push is based on the Series X being the world's most powerful console. I think it's fair for us, as consumers who are willing to spend at least $500 on their new product, to expect to see how well the device does the things it's supposed to do - play games - before parting with our hard-earned money.

Regarding this other statement of yours:

It was a super effective marketing line but it's not nearly that ironclad. They didn't even say real time. You can "capture" lots of things from a system that aren't final gameplay. Run a prebaked demo and capture it, etc.

You omitted the part of my quote where I mentioned that Sony's showcase was also light on actual "hands on the controller" gameplay. And I specifically said "no matter what you were looking at" so that it encompassed non-playable content, such as cut-scenes.

Still, what you see is what you get, in the PS5 presentation. Mixed with the gameplay, there were obvious cut-scene segments, like with Miles Morales, Kena... all in-game - which, again, doesn't really mean anything. But the fact that it was all running on real PS5 hardware is what I wanted to highlight. If you buy those games and run them on your console, they will look like that, guaranteed. Gameplay, cut-scenes and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.