• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Resistance 2

It took a really unique FPS and turned it into a cookie cutter shooter by following the trends and tropes of the genre at the time.

Freedom to play as you wanted suffered at the hands of restricting weapons down to a two weapon system.
The more challenging and tactical segmented health system was replaced with regenerating health.
Campaign co-op was scrapped and replaced with multiplayer co-op.

It basically killed the franchise. R3 was a fantastic return to the series' roots, and easily the best entry in the franchise, but it sold terribly.
This, R2 is one of the worse sequels ever. Other than all the points you mentioned, R2 just butchered the amazing setting and atmosphere delivered by FoM.

I was kind of skeptical about FoM at first, not even sure why I bought it. But the game did surprise me, I loved the alternative WW2 setting they created, the narrative and gameplay were outstanding. It is the best PS3 FPS I've played alongside Killzone 2. The PSP game was also amazing and kept the same narrative style, while being in 3rd person.

Then comes R2 and kills everything that made the 1st game good. It is one of the most bland and uninteresting FPS I've ever played, I was just done with the franchise after that. The only fun I managed to have with that game was in the online.. but I've bought it for an amazing single player experience, and not for the multiplayer. People here already convinced me that I should give R3 a chance someday, but it is really hard for me to go back after the R2 disaster.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Late on Actraiser 2, but it's the poster child for this topic. Throw out everything that made Actraiser unique and make a generic platformers just like the other 500 platformers that were made at the time. Then act shocked when it sells poorly.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
Easily Ni no Kuni 2. They improved the combat slightly, sure, but it's completely devoid of the charm and heart that made me love the original. And this is coming from someone who didn't mind the city building and RTS battle aspects.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Xenosaga Episode II was a huge step down from the first game in pretty much every way, especially that hideously "realistic" art style. I'll never forget how shocked and disappointed I was when I found out they were going from the first game to this.

518782-xenosaga-episode-ii-jenseits-von-gut-und-bose-playstation-2-manual.jpg

Fortunately Episode III represented a huge comeback and then some, but man, getting there through Episode II was painful.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Alundra 2.

No connection to the first game, ugly characters, snail speed gameplay, bland graphics, etc.

WTF actually happen???

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenosaga Episode II was a huge step down from the first game in pretty much every way, especially that hideously "realistic" art style. I'll never forget how shocked and disappointed I was when I found out they were going from the first game to this.

Fortunately Episode III represented a huge comeback and then some, but man, getting there through Episode II was painful.
This soooooo much. Always the first to come to mind. A terrible game.
The weirdly drastic change in art style, the load times for combat (hoo boy), the audio being all over the place, at least in English. Momo's "Mystic power, grant me a miracle!" sounds like it was recorded over a speaker phone.

Episode III is indeed a massive improvement over this abomination.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I played through the Devil May Cry series for the first time about 2 years ago and even though I knew of the 2nd games infamy nothing prepared me for just how bad. It was just abysmal and made the first person water sections of 1 look good.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Prince of Persia warrior within isn't the worst sequel of all time but God does it kill the good will of it's previous game for me

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Ghost Recon: Breakpoint in comparison to Ghost Recon: Wildlands.
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 in comparison to Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare.

Both took stellar, simple concepts and.... did way too much with them.

pez2k

Apr 21, 2018
Crackdown was one of the big reasons to me why a 360 was worth owning early on, with non-linear single-player restricted only by player ability and/or levelling, fun minute-to-minute gameplay, and the simple objective of taking out every single gang boss in any way possible. Crackdown 2 on the other hand used what seemed like exactly the same map, with a 'gritty' reskin and populated with terrorists and zombies instead. It's fascinating how it also managed to drain every drop of fun out of the game, leaving not a lot of substance.

The other reason to own a 360 was Test Drive Unlimited, which was more or less a billionaire car enthusiast simulator, driving around a huge representation of Hawaii collecting supercars, buying mansions, and deciding which interior colour you'd like in your next Ferrari. The sequel however focused on characters, dialogue and cutscenes, all of which were excruciatingly bad. To make things worse, some of the most notable car licenses from the first game disappeared, and the driving physics became much worse. The addition of Ibiza alongside Hawaii was great, but I could never stand to play the game long enough to really explore it.

Arkham City has already been mentioned, but splitting up Asylum's tightly paced and well-designed environments into basically small chunks with mandatory cross-city treks between them was one of the most needless uses of an open world since Mafia 2. It's certainly a much lesser evil than the two games above, but it was very disappointing to find that the sequel wasn't close to being as good as the phenomenal Asylum.

An honourable mention must also go to X-COM 2, which seemed to focus entirely on the punishing part and not the rewarding part. It's objectively a great game, but I've never been able to enjoy it at all.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I'd argue this is in the spirit of the question: Red Faction Armageddon. Some cool new tools but they literally went the opposite direction of all the cool stuff from Guerilla.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Easily Ni no Kuni 2. They improved the combat slightly, sure, but it's completely devoid of the charm and heart that made me love the original. And this is coming from someone who didn't mind the city building and RTS battle aspects.
I have the feeling NnK2 had a much smaller budget than the original. There's just a lot of areas in the game that feel unfinished and there's some design choices that are questionable, especially given the original. I still kind of enjoyed it though, and the city building was oddly my favorite part.

My choice is always Jak 2. Terrible game. Terrible choice to chase what was popular at the time. Terrible everything.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017

Got me beat. This was awful

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017

Was going to post this. Awful game. At some point I just spent a day grinding to max level so I wouldn't have to deal with the horrible combat system.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Meant more the models. I've only played it on psp as well which could be a factor

I agree with everything else the poster I qouted as well.
Nah, Chrono Cross's 3D models are great for the system and were ahead-of-the-curve in terms of textures, patterns, and detail compared to most contemporary models at the time.
7RrViuBuLmjRJeLZxERGLhIczie9YIMHtu1kUMR4zX0cRKIGTAfatFsgH_p5Sg2MZQgCDZDV1Y5oGltBZVKD6dzWCZvCK6ugi2OAgm0JwEvm7uNBLGXOwqcr
7WJMKqCc7fsm-Jr1pbT2ORkSpyjt2iQyXdjB926hS1qIA20rmKhLSucT_m0bQHczYi-abAlbodNqZrKLz1-Ivym2b2BLoVlfMWh1bP1rW_93cWa-s6GP-av_
06at8CKLlGRaNMfxfzgrn0wM3UWNv-_3-BiOCq6zMDcSpvgVn_43MXjOSkfOcDYDV7QGyFEX-aFqfLD1KfqUjQ_AC9iVitRJclWUVByW9ECPiGCdBC0qIRgC

giphy.gif

tumblr_nasdopuL981rvenmoo1_400.gif

Anyway, my pick for a worst "part 2" would probably be...
51R5CNFETFL._SY445_.jpg

LOVED Perfect Dark, but its follow-up was just so... pedestrian. It didn't control well, the story was garbage, the missions were weird, the pacing was inconsistent, the visuals were ugly... One of the few games I legit regret playing through.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this for me too. The tonal dissonance between X and X-2 is even worse than fanfiction. I really hate these kinds of hyperbolic statements but I have so much love for X's story and setting that I really can't help but actively dislike X-2's direction.

Imagine what they could have done with a Spira recovering from Sin. There are shades of good things in there (like Shuyin and extra Zanarkand backstory and the crusaders dealing with fallout and Wakka and Lulu moving on to normal life and etc.) but it's all tainted by the flighty, girl power pop star nonsense. Does not belong in that universe by any stretch of the imagination.
I was pretty put off by the tonal shift too but over time, the idea has grown on me. Society adapting to a less grim reality and this becoming less reverent was an idea running through the game. Like Yuna's conflicting feelings with how they turned parts of her pilgrimage into a tourist attraction. The lighter tone seems justified when there's no threat of Sin to keep everyone feeling down and the plot did try to show progression on Yuna trying to be more spirited.

... the Japanese humor was still jarring sometimes though. Didn't expect a hotspring scene complete with boob comparison gag from a Final Fantasy. Before then, they'd localize that stuff out but it's impossible to do when the girls are animated and in swimsuits.
Tales of Symphonia 2 was ass.
Aw. Courage is the magic that makes dreams a reality is a top tier Tales line, I am being so serious. I'm down for that kind of cheese when the game goes so sincerely for it.

The flimsy fanfictiony ToS connections were eye rolling but I didn't have much connection to ToS to begin with so the original elements and cast of ToS2 were top shelf wholesome Tales to me.
I thought it was as charming as ever! The fairy tale plot of fixing people's hearts also seemed to flow better in NNK2. I understand what the game is linking with Motorville and NNK2, I just felt there's nothing to do in Motorville to justify the back and forth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This is my pick too. Incredibly bland and mediocre experience in an otherwise awesome series. I barely could tell you anything I did/ happens in the game. It's so forgettable.

I'm still puzzled how Capcom went form the god-like DMC to DMC 2. It's almost like a completely different team worked on it? Maybe they did? At least they made it better with number 3.

Blood 1 ----- Blood 2

Blood 2: The Chosen is fucking class!

I actually really love Blood 2. It was very different to the first game (definitely very different in tone), but I remember it being a kick ass early 3D FPS.

I like the first Blood as well (I rate it over Duke Nukem 3D), but overall, I think Blood 2 was the better game. I'll admit that I prefer the horror tone of Blood 1 but that's it over Blood 2.

Anyway, just thought of another sequel that wasn't as good as the original.

Carmageddon 2 was nowhere near as good as the classic original Carmageddon. I won't hear any counter argument because it's a stone, cold fact.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Plants vs Zombies.

1 was a fantastic game.

2 was overflowing with monetization bullshit.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
The Evil Within 2 was disappointing, I felt the core "feel" of aiming and shooting was terrible and that's pretty hard to get past.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Actraiser II took out the cool thing people knew about Actraiser.

Deus Ex: Invisible War manages to be less advanced than the first game in every single aspect except graphics and physics. It's streamlined into being almost nothing. Absurdly tiny levels to fit into console memory constraints where every alternate route is within a dozen feet of each other; boring items and customization that are completely counter-intuitive; an awful chunky interface designed around 480p 4:3 TVs even on the PC version; a faction system that tries to one-up the original game but, along with the plot, completely wastes your time by making the first 3/4ths of the game completely pointless decision and story-wise; the setting is so far removed from reality and falls into so many future dystopia cliches that it makes the first game's goofiness look almost subtle.
Came for this.

Alundra 2 suuuuuuucks.
Came for this, too.

And

Jesus all the good ones were taken.

No, wait!
Nidhogg 2 was kind of crap. I still don't know wtf they were doing with the graphics and the game, somehow, didn't feel as fun when I tried it out.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
51R5CNFETFL._SY445_.jpg

LOVED Perfect Dark, but its follow-up was just so... pedestrian. It didn't control well, the story was garbage, the missions were weird, the pacing was inconsistent, the visuals were ugly... One of the few games I legit regret playing through.
Man, I thought this game was pretty great when the 360 launched. I just... I just can't even get through it nowadays when I've tried recently.

All I know about Chrono Cross is I found the combat kinda confusing, but I didn't really give it a "fair shake," to be honest. Great music from what I remember though.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Blood 2: from one of the tightest fps ever (btw, the fresh supply remaster is pretty decent!) to a broken shitshow with balance destroyed and so many glitches GearBox would love to publish it.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
DMC2 was not Itsuno's fault. He is listed as director but iirc he took over very very late in development.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Jak II

Don't get me wrong, Jak II was a great game. I loved it as a kid, and absolutely recognize it's flaws as an adult, but at the time I was disappointed that the game wasn't actually a sequel to TPL, and was a GTA rip off with Jak and Daxter characters. I think it's fun, I enjoy the story, it was probably the first twist I ever got to experience on my own, unspoiled.

TPL was an incredible game that never really got a true sequel and I'd love to see one, one day.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Lords of Shadow 2 really depresses me. The first game got better and better as it went on and had such a great ending with so much potential to improve, then they fucked it all up........

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Majora mask.
I want to say phatom hourglass too, but wind waker was not that great to begin with.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Jak II

Don't get me wrong, Jak II was a great game. I loved it as a kid, and absolutely recognize it's flaws as an adult, but at the time I was disappointed that the game wasn't actually a sequel to TPL, and was a GTA rip off with Jak and Daxter characters. I think it's fun, I enjoy the story, it was probably the first twist I ever got to experience on my own, unspoiled.

TPL was an incredible game that never really got a true sequel and I'd love to see one, one day.

Yeah, I actually liked Jak 2, but I wish it was more similar to TPL. Maybe keep the deeper story/character style of 2, but the environments and gameplay closer to TPL. I think Jak 3 kind of went in this direction, but I think it could have taken even more from TPL's style.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Nah, Chrono Cross's 3D models are great for the system and were ahead-of-the-curve in terms of textures, patterns, and detail compared to most contemporary models at the time.
7RrViuBuLmjRJeLZxERGLhIczie9YIMHtu1kUMR4zX0cRKIGTAfatFsgH_p5Sg2MZQgCDZDV1Y5oGltBZVKD6dzWCZvCK6ugi2OAgm0JwEvm7uNBLGXOwqcr
7WJMKqCc7fsm-Jr1pbT2ORkSpyjt2iQyXdjB926hS1qIA20rmKhLSucT_m0bQHczYi-abAlbodNqZrKLz1-Ivym2b2BLoVlfMWh1bP1rW_93cWa-s6GP-av_
06at8CKLlGRaNMfxfzgrn0wM3UWNv-_3-BiOCq6zMDcSpvgVn_43MXjOSkfOcDYDV7QGyFEX-aFqfLD1KfqUjQ_AC9iVitRJclWUVByW9ECPiGCdBC0qIRgC

giphy.gif

tumblr_nasdopuL981rvenmoo1_400.gif

51R5CNFETFL._SY445_.jpg

Thank you.

Chrono Cross is a phenomenal game, especially the battle system and character design.

Perfect Dark Zero was insultingly awful. The only explanation I can accept is that the Microsoft forced Rare to release it when it was only 20% done in order to meet launch date.

How do you go from one of the most option-packed, feature loaded FPS games of all time to one of the basic, stripped down and featureless sequels imaginable?!

I remember how excited I was to explore all the multiplayer options. That was quite a rude awakening.

And don't get me started on Joanna's new personality or that weird ending song with ejaculate euphemisms. WTF

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Digimon World 2 was disappointing. The first game just needed a little refinement and more coordination with the anime. Instead we got an ok dungeon crawler.

Tali'Zorah

Oct 27, 2017
Norfolk, UK
Mirrors Edge Catalyst. They didnt get the open world right and there was just something off about it that made it lose everything that made the original enjoyable. Got about a third of the way through before realising it just wasnt what I wanted a sequel to Mirrors Edge to be and giving up on it

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Far Cry 2 sucks, and you know there's a problem when the most notable and impressive feature of your first person shooter is that 'they hold the map in their hands'.

It's such a drab game, as you can tell from screenshot.

06D43_Mid_Tan.jpg

Yeah, I hardly ever binge games, especially not in a single day, but I absolutely got hooked with the original Hotline Miami. The second one is a step down in basically every single way.
Agreed. Far Cry 2 was my initial thought to this question as well. I know it has its share of people who sing its praises, but I really, really did not like it in comparison to Far Cry, which was a sneaky great game in a time when everyone was in high anticipation for Half-Life 2 and Doom 3. And Far Cry 3 returned to a lot of what made the original Far Cry work. Far Cry 2 may be good, but it doesn't work for me at all.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania: Simon's Quest

A bumbling mess of a game that has no focus behind its design, unlike the original Castlevania.